Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Those fossil snake skeletons should have weird sucker mouths, not normal jaws. How am I meant to watch a show with such inconsistencies.

e: Wow I am truly sorry for this snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the context of the completely idiotic “they’re devolving” line I think the story is that homo sapiens either came from or arrived to Kepler 22b and then somehow “devolved” into homo neanderthalensis.

I didn't get that at all, why would you think that? The the implication is clearly that the albinos and Creatures are descendants of neanderthals. They even mention that neanderthals went extinct 40k years ago.

That's why they don't want to tell Campion. Soylent Creature is homo sapiens and currently it's their only viable food source

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes i realize my mistake so could you edit that link out.

No I wasn't yelling at you about files I just want nothing explained especially not by a comic book

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ex post facho posted:

my theory is that there are now three distinct timelines/time periods in the show: the kids are in the "primeline", the androids and snakebaby are in the past, and spacegar somehow warped to a variant of the future, given they "know his ark crashed" and there's a giant one above him.

what why

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Next Seasons Antagonist:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What a weird rear end finale. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I'm not even sure I like the show overall, but I watched all of it. I'm unsure of how I'm supposed to feel tbh. Help me pls.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

So in a way fragments of them get to witness the collapse of the civilizations of the shrieking, less-smart, trashe eaters which out competed them.
:sun::unsmith:
Reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Sheriff Falc posted:

I also hate it but it helps to think about it in terms of the Mithraic worldview, and in that way I think it's pretty good for worldbuilding, except they never bothered to explain it.

Of course a world-dominating religion which employs super weapons would have a single word for non-believers and lump 'everyone else' all in together linguistically. The writers just chose a word with strange real-world connotations that crosses the uncanny valley and never bothered to explain why the audience should view it differently than that, which, to be honest is a strength or a weakness of this show depending on your perspective.

E: There is a scene in EP 1 when the Mithriac cleric approaches mother and Campion for the first time and he says 'what is your faith', and her response is 'we are not believers', which I think means atheist is a branded term and not a self-identification. It's the Mithraic n-word.

DrPop posted:

The show really suffers because of this, though. I said this earlier in the thread but the Mithraic religion as shown in the show seems pretty milquetoast and inoffensive. They could build it up with some kind of religious syncretic background but haven't really done that; the only indicator of such is the medical droid in episode two singing Good King Wenceslas as he works on Mary and Caleb. And that's probably just an oversight/meaningless like MarySue saying "Jesus Christ."

You guys put more thought than the writers did and I like your reasons. Anyone not worshipping Saul is a filthy heathen and must be cleansed. Considering how religions go still doesn't make sense someone in this world uses Jesus Christ as a natural swear. Nobody says "by Mithras" or "Sol's light" or anything like that because the first thing Christianity did when it won the Roman Republics did was stomp out any newer rivals. Roman traditional gods lasted because they were in a fucktonne of old documents all across the known western world. Conversely very little is known in real life about the Cult of Mithras. If Mithras had won Christianity would just have been a minor cult and, more than like, barely a footnote. Like Mithras is in this world.

The singing of Good King Wenceslas would be easy to fix if you just changed some of the lyrics. Keep the tune and change lyrics and that could promote another theme about religion and humanity. Sometimes this show feels lazy. Pretty but lazy. I wish they had built up more other religions and whatnot. The "Atheists" being a collective of everyone not Mithras could have been nice. The Mithraic horde being xenophobic and intolerant to the point of using some alien tech they found and didn't fully understand which then led to them accidentally destroying the earth? That could have been beautiful. But nope.... only religion is Mithras and the only other guys are Atheists. <sigh>

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Right - except (small nitpick) you don't evolve "back" - because back connotes a hierarchy of traits - you just evolve.

I don't expect the science in a show to always be top notch but this show doesn't really seem to constantly stick to its own rules or even flesh those out. I watched tons of silly 90s and early 00 Canadian Sci Fi and they normally made a world with rules and stuck by it. Sometimes they were silly rear end rules by, by jove, that was how this world worked. Earth Oxygen mix on every planet and everyone speaks American, English, Aussie, Kiwi or Canadian accented English. Often looks like British Columbia. Be proud of who you are, make your foundation for the universe and stick with it when you build. Not sure if Wolves does the last two parts.

Again this show feels lazy. Pretty but lazy. I do applaud Flying Spess Snek Devil and wish to subscribe to his newsletter. Sol whispering to Paul the truth could be fun. Spacgnar is ok. I like feral, cunning and only slightly mad Ragnar to late season just plain crazy Ragnar. Just doesn't click as much with me. So Paul shoots his fake mom but she's in the last show and going to live? With nobody to treat the gut shot but her? With Paul calling her out as an atheist and that she killed his parents? You'd think the other kids would have left her somewhere else. That last 15 minutes was profoundly and marvelously dumb. I actually enjoyed the hell out of it but it was remarkably stupid. The should have him talk next season with a silly voice.

So anyone think the Lord Spess Snek looked a bit like the lamprey sperm guys from Prometheus? The ones that grew in the goop from those "eggs". The ones that the one scientist decided to say "hey little guy let me touch you" and then immediately died? Without the opening of wings bit.

I know this show is silly and languorous but I want to say Mother and Father are great. I really have enjoyed their performances and was genuinely sad when I thought they were going to die. Luckily the cores of planets are made of cheese and easy to cross and going through a planet only takes minutes. Someone tell the American Government this so we get more lols.

edit: looked it up... not exactly Prometheus lamprey sperm guys but I swear I've seen this design in something.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 1, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

for a fun time, try to get someone who isn't interested in sci fi or ridley scott to watch this show. my wife lasted 35 minutes until Mother started exploding people. also why do Necromancers scream sometimes when they fly, but other times they don't?!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

my wife lasted 35 minutes until Mother started exploding people.

thats like the best part of the show

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ok so here's a lil more thunkin'

if you watch the intro carefully, in the lower left corner, you see a streak and then a spiral appear briefly. immediately after, you see what you assume to be the Earth android ship arriving, but positioned to the right.

what if the lower left ship is a reference to another set of androids leaving?

at some point neanderthals made it to kepler22b, somehow. 40,000 years is a long time for them to precede homo sapien. they develop technology. a similar religious conflict develops and a similar war that wipes them out. mother's discovery of a similar looking android head inside the smaller dodecahedron seems to suggest that the remaining kepleranderthals sealed their remaining androids/central AI up at some point. the weird covered eyes of the helmet suggests a similar sort of eye-technology that mother has.

they send their version of androids to earth with the "dark photon" technology at the brink of their own destruction.

homo sapiens evolves, homo sapien mithraics discover some aspect of the technology approximately 42,000 years later "in the texts", and explains the super-advanced nature of the necromancers. the conflict we see develops, and humans send their androids to kepler.

re: time travel:

i feel like thats the most plausible explanation for the creatures and the holes given what we saw.

mother gives birth to snakebaby. they travel into the core to try to destroy it, and end up traveling into kepler22b's past. snakebaby leaves and becomes some sort of natural creature that tunnels into the planet. an evolved form of these creatures (jaws now positioned frontwards) go extinct at some point in kepler22b's future but before homo sapien humans arrive. would also account for the snake-skin father finds in the hole in one of the first few episodes.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 1, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I took the devolve line to imply there was something else going on, like Sol being able to affect DNA just as it can thoughts. That or magical time fuckery. But whatever, it's just speculation from two dumbass robots.

Chalks posted:

Those fossil snake skeletons should have weird sucker mouths, not normal jaws. How am I meant to watch a show with such inconsistencies.

Maybe they're... devolving?!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
So apparently the space snake is Mr. Gray from Stephen Kings "Dreamcatcher" and this is a prequel?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think I finally solved it. Clearly the snakes' natural reproduction cycle involves sending instructions on how to use dark photons to other planets and then wait for those civilizations to send necromancers, which they then can the impregnate :shuckyes:

e: wait, are the snakes Kepler's version of a necromancer? Maybe the neanderthals had some kind of snake worshipping religion, instead of a sun worshipping one, and build their necromancers in the image of Snek the God and then those necromancers destroyed most life on the planet, just like on earth

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 1, 2020

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Chalks posted:

Perhaps they.......devolved.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheMopeSquad posted:

So apparently the space snake is Mr. Gray from Stephen Kings "Dreamcatcher" and this is a prequel?

OMG that is it! Mr Gay!

Now that movie was awful. Unwatchable. But the mentally disabled guy saying Mr Gray made younger me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUu_gWWPQgQ

Rewatching Prometheus and it's the same. Pretty and lazy.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 1, 2020

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Here I was thinking that the show might take a more subtle approach and have Mother give birth to a child, and then when it became clear it was evil, she'd be in denial and be conflicted between her love for it and the repulsion she had for what it was doing. You know, kind of like how in real life parents of murders and other awful people have to cope with their feels about that?

but yeah, no she gets that it's a terrible monster right off the bat. And good thing that atheist ship showed up, we were running out of cannon fodder. I'd love it if it was like The Last Man on Earth where a new ship full of people from a new faction show up every two episodes

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Earth being "dead" is also one of the dumbest parts of this show and it'd be better off without that entire angle. Let Earth be a hellhole or whatever, but it's incredibly silly to have a show be about the last people alive when you're barely going to engage with that concept at all.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Wow. I have no loving idea where this is going then.

Glad he provided this clarification. I was 100% certain this was it when they 'revealed' the cave dwelling guy to look like a 'devolved' version of the Prometheus humanoids.

I'm on board for S2 though. Let's see how nuts this weird show can get.

Long live Lord Snake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Disney owns the Aliens franchise, so there was never going to be an official connection.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVh7lVMTQBo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think anything in that episode really changed my theory. The intelligence manipulating human life is just the planet core -- Sol, the ball of fire -- and not the pentagonal rock. That's the only difference.

Holly(?) the older girl who's a bit of a follower, identifies the symbol for Sol as being on one of the cards we saw last episode. It's the sun + light rays / egg + sperm image, that looks a lot like the planet core with all the holes leading to it.

DrPop posted:

The show really suffers because of this, though. I said this earlier in the thread but the Mithraic religion as shown in the show seems pretty milquetoast and inoffensive. They could build it up with some kind of religious syncretic background but haven't really done that; the only indicator of such is the medical droid in episode two singing Good King Wenceslas as he works on Mary and Caleb. And that's probably just an oversight/meaningless like MarySue saying "Jesus Christ."

So far the biggest knock against the Mithraics seems to be that they made Necromancers.

The Mithraics lock up children unless they convert (both on Kepler and, according to Paul, on Earth). They murder nonbelievers using weapons of mass destruction, which are programmed to murder even nonbeliever babies. They execute their own for breaches in their faith. They have inflexible caste systems decided by birth. Children deemed for military service are kept away from their families and the real Marcus is clearly an abusive dickhead who encouraged Paul to abuse animals. Mithraics are implied to be anti-abortion. They've committed genocide in the name of Mithraism, not even sparing people who used Tarot cards.

They're hardline fanatics who consider all that don't believe in Mithraism to be atheists, and that's a belief that contributed to the widespread destruction of humanity on Earth. That's not milquetoast.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

DogsInSpace! posted:

OMG that is it! Mr Gay!

Now that movie was awful. Unwatchable. But the mentally disabled guy saying Mr Gray made younger me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUu_gWWPQgQ

Rewatching Prometheus and it's the same. Pretty and lazy.

Donnie Wahlberg for season 2. And Damien Lewis. And Jason Lee.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress did I just watch? There’s a ship full of atheists and now the wyrm is going to kill them too or something? This whole show is just the last handful of humans dying and dying and dying?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

LibCrusher posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch? There’s a ship full of atheists and now the wyrm is going to kill them too or something? This whole show is just the last handful of humans dying and dying and dying?

It’s alien lampreys and death all the way down.

Also, mullets and robbits.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Finished it- I enjoyed the insanity, though I miss the simplicity of the first few episodes. I think I’ll rewatch it over Christmas Break.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Mithraics lock up children unless they convert (both on Kepler and, according to Paul, on Earth). They murder nonbelievers using weapons of mass destruction, which are programmed to murder even nonbeliever babies. They execute their own for breaches in their faith. They have inflexible caste systems decided by birth. Children deemed for military service are kept away from their families and the real Marcus is clearly an abusive dickhead who encouraged Paul to abuse animals. Mithraics are implied to be anti-abortion. They've committed genocide in the name of Mithraism, not even sparing people who used Tarot cards.

They're hardline fanatics who consider all that don't believe in Mithraism to be atheists, and that's a belief that contributed to the widespread destruction of humanity on Earth. That's not milquetoast.

This is made all the more weird that they had to shoehorn in atheist child soldiers. I guess it was to say "hey the atheists were actually bad guys too!" and give two of the characters a trauma to work through.

From newsweek:
Newsweek: That giant snake is a strong image you end on. Did you always know that this was where the show was going to end, or did it come as you were building the season?

Aaron Guzikowski, Raised By Wolves creator: This was always the plan. I always knew that at the end of the season, that Mother would give birth to a serpent. Oddly enough, that was the plan going in—when I had my first meeting with Ridley [Scott, executive producer] that is what I discussed with him, because he wanted to know where it was all going. Yes, that was always built into the design there.

I hate this poo poo because having an end-point and working backwards is just as bad as starting somewhere and having no idea where you're going. In one, you're aimless. In the other, you contrive everything to get to the place you wanted to end up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My read on it is that Humans are some sort of dandelion-salmon species that spreads out across the galaxy, eventually creates Necromancers, which then return to Kepler-22b to breed the Snake species.

If that old birthing Chamber that Mother found is similar to the bigger version Ragnar found in the desert then I really wonder what is inside.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lister posted:

I hate this poo poo because having an end-point and working backwards is just as bad as starting somewhere and having no idea where you're going. In one, you're aimless. In the other, you contrive everything to get to the place you wanted to end up.

It's not super surprising that this show was largely built around reaching a particular visual, though. The visual style and general weirdness are its best features, so it's clear that's where basically all of the effort was placed. Still can't get over how strangely all of the characters act given that it doesn't really seem to be intentional.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i love the snake. it is my child now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

i love the snake. it is my child now.

It’s baby Cobra Commander. This is a gritty dystopian GI Joe reboot.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think everyone trying to figure this show out or come up with elaborate theories is really missing the point.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

General Battuta posted:

I think everyone trying to figure this show out or come up with elaborate theories is really missing the point.

:yeah:

just enjoy the ride. embrace the snake.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that moment when mother said "... it can fly" was so wonderful

i'd very much like to think that little pause was just inserted by the actor as a wink to the audience.

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

just enjoy the ride. embrace the snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORkjEKVVSc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really loved Father becoming a catty bitch when he thought that Mother slept with their creator. Just burn after burn on Mother like saying how he was pretty sure he wouldn't fall in love with her again.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I love this guy

https://i.imgur.com/lb0B4gO.mp4

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lister posted:

From newsweek:

Aaron Guzikowski, Raised By Wolves creator: This was always the plan. I always knew that at the end of the season, that Mother would give birth to a serpent. Oddly enough, that was the plan going in—when I had my first meeting with Ridley [Scott, executive producer] that is what I discussed with him, because he wanted to know where it was all going. Yes, that was always built into the design there.

Paradoxish posted:

It's not super surprising that this show was largely built around reaching a particular visual, though. The visual style and general weirdness are its best features, so it's clear that's where basically all of the effort was placed. Still can't get over how strangely all of the characters act given that it doesn't really seem to be intentional.

Just finished rewatching Prometheus and it's the same thing. You have some cool visuals and ideas but there is no real solid structure so it just comes across a bit sloppy and nonsensical. "Why did punk rock geologist and internet biologist get scared at alienz and then get lost? Why does internet biologist decide an alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug? Why did acid spray turn punk rock geologist into a super zombie? How does Idris Elba know they are storing WMDs at the base aside from Idris Elba is kinda awesome? Why does Charlize Theron just run straight ahead despite looking back and realizing she could just run to the side a bit and avoid danger?" There's far more nonsense but Raised by Wolves is a bit of the same. Pretty but dumb nonsense that we will forget about in a few years. A dumber Westworld I guess. Reminds me of this movie Oblivion. I want to like it and looks a bit cool but starts falling apart if you look at it too long. Wish they'd take all this prestige tv money and make good sci fi but what are you gonna do?

I say they just embrace the cheese and insanity. I want Lord Space Snake giving long villain monologues while doing a dance. Spagnar dancing with (other lesser) space snakes and doing southern revivals. Father with a giant mecha body complete with gatling guns and doing a version of "Singing in the Rain". Throw in some insect bad guys and Don Wahlberg.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 2, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

He is a true goon

DogsInSpace! posted:

Just finished rewatching Prometheus and it's the same thing. You have some cool visuals and ideas but there is no real solid structure so it just comes across a bit sloppy and nonsensical. "Why did punk rock geologist and internet biologist get scared at alienz and then get lost? Why does internet biologist decide a alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug? Why did acid spray turn punk rock geologist into a super zombie? How does Idris Elba know they are storing WMDs at the base aside from Idris Elba is kinda awesome? Why does Charlize Theron just run straight ahead despite looking back and realizing she could just run to the side a bit and avoid danger?" There's far more nonsense but Raised by Wolves is a bit of the same. Pretty but dumb nonsense that we will forget about in a few years. A dumber Westworld I guess. Reminds me of this movie Oblivion. I want to like it and looks a bit cool but starts falling apart if you look at it too long. Wish they'd take all this prestige tv money and make good sci fi but what are you gonna do?

I say they just embrace the cheese and insanity. I want Lord Space Snake giving long villain monologues while doing a dance. Spagnar dancing with (other lesser) space snakes and doing southern revivals. Father with a giant mecha body complete with gatling guns. Throw in some insect bad guys and Don Wahlberg.

It's rare and precious to capture a fully grown specimen in the wild

Hope you find your answers about why "a alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug"

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Shaocaholica posted:

Everyone knows aliens now grow absurdly fast. Like 1hr from infancy to full adult bio mass be damned.

Catching up on the thread and lol

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stop making me think Father has died, you stupid loving show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

but a alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug