Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Violator posted:

I think you have to be walking around for at least 1 consecutive minute I believe. If you just pace around and sit down it doesn't count.

That's the thing though, I walk around for a minute or two and rack up 150-250+ steps in my apartment, yet I have not "stood".

Zero One posted:

Keep your watch arm down by your side. The watch detects "standing" if your arm is down.

I'll see if this makes a difference. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Do some squats and flail your arms around for a bit. Usually did the trick when I was anal about that sort of thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

dutchbstrd posted:

That's the thing though, I walk around for a minute or two and rack up 150-250+ steps in my apartment, yet I have not "stood".

I'll see if this makes a difference. Thanks

Yeah it can be annoying sometimes. I'll get the reminder and then get up to make coffee or lunch and because my hands are "up" being used to make food, grab things out of the fridge, etc it won't say I've been standing.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I met my stand goal sitting all day!

In the same vein, what triggers the exercise goal? Is it a heart rate threshold? I get ticks on my exercise bar on my way into work daily (lots of stairs).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I think so...

I know that if you do an exercise it can track (walking, running, swimming, biking) it will sometimes not count the full workout time as exercise if you don't work hard enough.

However the other generic workouts (cardio, weightlifting, sports, etc) it will count every minute as exercise even if you are just sitting doing nothing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob A Feet posted:

I met my stand goal sitting all day!

In the same vein, what triggers the exercise goal? Is it a heart rate threshold? I get ticks on my exercise bar on my way into work daily (lots of stairs).

Rate of change over distance (vert/horiz) is what it appears to me for some stuff. I've had it not record minutes as exercise because my pace was too slow (was walking with someone else). I've also had it not record time as exercise on a treadmill because my arms were stationary on the sidebars. Likely, a combination of factors.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Watch’s stand detection gets real hosed up if you live on a second floor or something. It may have been fixed in the three years since it affected me, but I had to raise my arms and do all sorts of weird poo poo to get my watch to register standing until I moved to a new place.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I live on the 3rd floor and it’s fine, except those times when I’m, like, cooking in the kitchen and have my hands up on the counter so it doesn’t catch that I’ve been standing for actually quite a while because my wrist just never spent time hanging down at my side :ughh:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My watch seems to detect when I stand fine, but my wife could be up and moving for 5 minutes and get prompted to stand up. Watches are just weird.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
BRB, finding an apartment compatible with my watch.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

withak posted:

BRB, finding an apartment compatible with my watch.

You're real estate-ing it wrong! Duh!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It’s all based on accelerometers so move your arm more deliberately and faster.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

It’s all based on accelerometers so move your arm more deliberately and faster.

Yes, that's it... I used to work for a company that made activity monitors for health market... Accelerometer sensors are used for 95%+ of data logging. The gyro is rarely used due to battery drain (our monitors would go from 1-2 weeks to less than a day of battery).

This means the the activity counts are based on Gs in any direction. Stand goals are met by 'watching' the accelerometer go into standing position (this doesn't need a gyro, just fancy math by assuming 'what side is up' based on the wear position option) and then seeing activity from that point forward (with dwell times that negate the activity entry). Sliding windows are used to ensure the counts are accurate....

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
As an FYI:

I tried to give my series 3 to my mom, but watch OS 6 wasn't compatible with her most recent iOS of 12 something that the iPhone 6 stopped at. Contacted apple support, and they have a free downgrade service where they send you a prepaid box, and you can send them the watch and they'll do the downgrade for you.

Violator
May 15, 2003

UltraRed posted:

As an FYI:

I tried to give my series 3 to my mom, but watch OS 6 wasn't compatible with her most recent iOS of 12 something that the iPhone 6 stopped at. Contacted apple support, and they have a free downgrade service where they send you a prepaid box, and you can send them the watch and they'll do the downgrade for you.

Huh, that’s interesting.

Violator
May 15, 2003

You have to wipe the watch and phone if you're health GPS data is missing :(

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211865

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh gently caress me.

Violator
May 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

Oh gently caress me.

I did the whole process last night. You restore from backups so you don’t lose much outside of a few hours doing the whole thing and it did fix the GPS data issue for me.

Still can’t unlock my Macs though, I guess that’s a different issue.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Small White Dragon posted:

Just upgraded to a 6. Sometimes when a notification pops up, it seems to disappear under the always on display, and then touching the display seems to dismiss the notification. Given this is an Apple device, I assume there is stupid obvious mistake I'm making here.

I jumped from a 4 to a 6 at launch and while I can usually adjust to new poo poo in a week or two, I'm still not liking the always on display. Things like snoozing or turning off an alarm in the morning, or forwarding to the next track while driving always seem to be stuck behind the "fuzzy" cover screen that doesn't accept touch and sticks around just a moment too long before actually showing you things.

Even if it's just as fast (the "always on" dim screen seems to hang around a little too long) it certainly feels like it's taking longer to do things on the S6. Are alarms and music considered "sensitive" notifications or something? I turned hiding those off and I'm gonna see how it is, but I may just end up turning the always on off.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 1, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Is there a way to temporarily disconnect my phone and watch?

The watch leverages the phones GPS during workouts. I’m noticing (and it’s well documented) that my phones GPS takes me all over the place; it’s not accurate. I want to keep my phone with me for emergencies but I want to use the watches GPS.

If I turn off Bluetooth, wifi on both phone and watch, it STILL uses the phones GPS and gets notifications etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bob A Feet posted:

Is there a way to temporarily disconnect my phone and watch?

The watch leverages the phones GPS during workouts. I’m noticing (and it’s well documented) that my phones GPS takes me all over the place; it’s not accurate. I want to keep my phone with me for emergencies but I want to use the watches GPS.

If I turn off Bluetooth, wifi on both phone and watch, it STILL uses the phones GPS and gets notifications etc.

Probably Airplane mode or power off the phone entirely. Unfortunately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah it’s wild that the watch GPS is so much better than the phone’s. If you turn off Bluetooth and WiFi it may disconnect from the phone.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
So the new gold series 6 is a different yellower gold than the series 5. Which is fine except that I am happy with my 5 and had been hoping to get a matching Milanese loop for the 5. Which they no longer sell.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah it’s wild that the watch GPS is so much better than the phone’s. If you turn off Bluetooth and WiFi it may disconnect from the phone.

I’m surprised they even put GPS in the wifi model at this point since you can’t use it. The times I’ve gone running without my phone and used the watches GPS, it is as accurate if not more accurate than my Garmin.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I jumped from a 4 to a 6 at launch and while I can usually adjust to new poo poo in a week or two, I'm still not liking the always on display. Things like snoozing or turning off an alarm in the morning, or forwarding to the next track while driving always seem to be stuck behind the "fuzzy" cover screen that doesn't accept touch and sticks around just a moment too long before actually showing you things.

Even if it's just as fast (the "always on" dim screen seems to hang around a little too long) it certainly feels like it's taking longer to do things on the S6. Are alarms and music considered "sensitive" notifications or something? I turned hiding those off and I'm gonna see how it is, but I may just end up turning the always on off.

I had the same issues and disabled the blurry screen by setting the "Return to clock" setting under Wake Screen in General... That way the watch goes back to clock, unblurred, when I lower it. I also have the auto launch audio apps disabled to prevent blurry screen when listening to something... and I have Hide Sensitive Complications off..

On my series 3 I had to disable the returning into an app unless in a Session but I think those settings changed for the AOD editions? I use my series 3 for yard work, car work, sleeping, so accidental button presses were annoying. :)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Ohhh, I’ll give that a try. Thanks, I was kind of hating the upgrade since it seems the blur is pretty much aimed at exactly how I use my watch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know it doesn’t matter but for some reason the watch broke my longest move streak record on the 14th even though it wasn’t broken. I just noticed that. There goes a 2+ year streak because of a bug.

E: Actually this makes no sense.

Watch:

iPhone:

Well which is it? 🤔

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think you might need to bump your move goal a touch.

Update now that I'm not on probation anymore…

I bumped up the move goal by 10 kcal and when I finished the ring for the day my phone's move streak badge matched the same numbers on the watch again. It also showed up in my recent awards again. But then on the next day the award disappeared from the phone's recent awards and the badge went back to saying "last awarded on 9/14" with "752" as the last longest streak (and the correct streak+1 under that text) . Buuut on my watch the award info was correct (last awarded on [previous_day], streak = last+1). If I bumped it up by 10 kcal then once again it fixed itself on the phone, but would revert back the next day.

So right now my watch says I have an unbroken move streak of 735 days, last awarded yesterday (haven't closed the ring today yet). On the iPhone it STILL says my last streak was 752 broken on 9/14, but the current streak is 735 days. I have no idea how it got this 752 number because I've never had a streak anywhere near this long before.

I really have no idea whats going on and my GPS data is missing I just noticed and I'm afraid of un-pairing my watch because I'm gonna be so upset if I lose the move streak. I mean I complain about it all the time and how it makes me feel like it's an obligation I have to fulfill and how happy I'll be when I finally break it. But not like this. I wonder what'll happen if I just let it go to 752 days. Will it fix itself then?

e: I haven't seen it posted ITT yet but when I went to change my move goal I found out that you can now change your exercise and stand goals as well. I bumped the stand goal down to 10 hours and that has made such an improvement with regards to feeling unneeded stress about closing the rings. I still end up doing 12+ stand hours a day, but for some reason when it was at 12 hours, I would feel stress/dread every time my watch buzzed me to stand up because I knew that if I missed it that hour then there's a very real chance Im going to not be able to close the ring for the day. Now that it's only 10 hours I can relax knowing that even if I ignore the notification to stand it'll be fine.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 1, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The delete everything and restore from backups did fix my subsequent run today and it has a map, so that is nice.

OTOH, all the old workouts are still missing the location data but hours later it still says it is restoring the Activity from iCloud so fingers crossed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Got a 6 yesterday and I'm extremely disappointed. The 02 sensor barely works for me and when it does its inconsistent with readings compared to a simple finger sensor I have. The battery is also considerably worse compared to my 4. Thank goodness I can return it. Hopefully the sensor will work a lot better for series 7.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Still really happy with the upgrade from 3 to SE for a little over $200. Really like the larger screen.

Violator
May 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

The delete everything and restore from backups did fix my subsequent run today and it has a map, so that is nice.

OTOH, all the old workouts are still missing the location data but hours later it still says it is restoring the Activity from iCloud so fingers crossed.

I think the old missing data is gone, the instructions said to wipe and restore in order to prevent further data loss. Mine missing GPS data is still gone too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it finished restoring and all the old GPS data is gone. Not a big deal for me personally but pretty shoddy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a series 3, and the 6 is way overkill for what I use a watch for, so I’m tempted to look around and get a good deal on a series 5 over the next few months.

Apple Watch doesn’t hold its value quite as well as the iPhones and iPads, so you gotta think a 5 (or even a 4) will pop up at a good price somewhere at some point during the holidays.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

Keep me updated. I’ll need to do this this weekend.

Although looking at that article it mentions you should do that if you have two or more of the listed issues. I only have the GPS one... oh wait, Health was sucking down battery the last few days on my iPhone so I guess that counts as two.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a series 3, and the 6 is way overkill for what I use a watch for, so I’m tempted to look around and get a good deal on a series 5 over the next few months.

Apple Watch doesn’t hold its value quite as well as the iPhones and iPads, so you gotta think a 5 (or even a 4) will pop up at a good price somewhere at some point during the holidays.

People sell their old apple watches? There’s a market for used ones?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Looks like "good" condition series 3's still go for 150+:

https://swappa.com/buy/apple/watch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

Sure. I haven’t bought a new watch in a while, but I sold both my original series watch and series 2 watch. It’s an electronic just like a phone.

I usually don’t buy used , but I’m considering it for the watch, considering it’s a potential $100-200ish or more savings (which varies). I’m kind of hoping to just see some discount or open box deal for Black Friday , but that’s more random than the more certain “this will be the used pricing.”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Why wouldn't there be? Do you just toss all your old electronics in the garbage or something?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The market for titanium/stainless steel Apple Watches is horrible - their value falls in half after the first year. The aluminum watches hold their value for a lot longer. I've always been tempted to pick up one of the more expensive models, but it's hard to justify when I'm tempted to upgrade every 3-4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Which makes no sense if true because look at any 2 year old aluminum Apple Watch screen and it’s going to be riddled in scratches you just won’t find on a similarly aged SS version. So I don’t believe you.

Edit: Swappa - cheapest series 4 aluminum is $250. Cheapest SS S4 is $295, although there’s only one listing. Most are in the $350 range. Looks like SS do lose value faster than their bitch rear end aluminum counterpart. I sort of believe you.

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 2, 2020