Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

foutre posted:

Ah, thank you, I was wondering about the cooler thing -- and good to know re: the case. Seems like I'll have some time to wait for the 3070 anyway, so email alert should be no problem. The extra options seem worth trying out, may as well lean into the options some.

Last tip before bed, there's a youtube channel called optimum tech which is pretty much the bible for ITX builders and is a super chill and thorough dude who reviews cases and posts build guides etc, he's got a few good videos on the nr200 if you want to see how it is to build in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tuyop posted:

What’s wrong with RM and hypervisors?

I've never seen a good explanation for why, but it refuses to run under a hypervisor system.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ah hah, it does! Time to get a USB I suppose.

That being said, might it be easier to just try a fresh windows install? I've never actually needed to update BIOS, and knowing that it can cause some major problems if done incorrectly has me on edge. Obviously I'll follow instructions carefully, but it's still stressful knowing I could brick expensive equipment.

If you can't get into the BIOS you can't enable XMP for the ram, which means it's running at 2133 instead of 3600 and you're leaving a fair amount of performance on the table.

Updating the BIOS isn't as scary / dangerous as you've heard. It's got the potential to brick your mobo, but only if you do something dumb or are unlucky enough to have your power cut while it's updating. And with your parts still being in the return window, you can send it back if something goes wrong.

Updating without a screen is a little trickier, but the main thing is that there is a little LED next to the button that is your only source of feedback. Pull your PC to where you can see stuff if it isn't already. And the USB stick with your new bios needs to be plugged in to the jack that says BIOS:

The PDF manual online for your board doesn't have any instructions for using q-flash, maybe the paper one does? Anyways it should be the same as these instructions:

quote:

5-1-3 Using Q-Flash Plus
A. Before you use Q-Flash Plus, follow the steps below in sequence:
1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard
model.
2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin.
Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system.
3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel.
4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power
connector.
B. Using Q-Flash Plus
Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB
flash drive on the white USB port. The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during
the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the LED will stop flashing when the BIOS
flashing is complete.
• Before using the Q-Flash Plus function, make sure that your system is off (S5 shutdown state).
• If your motherboard has a BIOS switch and a SB switch, reset them to their default settings.
(Default setting for the BIOS switch: Boot from the main BIOS; default setting for the SB switch:
Dual BIOS)
• After the main BIOS is flashed, the system will reboot automatically and then DualBIOS
continue to update the backup BIOS. After completion, the system will reboot again and boot
from the main BIOS.
• Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will
shut down upon completion.

(Note that step 2, where your USB stick needs to be formatted in FAT or FAT32, is easier with a 32gb or smaller stick.)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do high end am4 boards have hdmi and displayports when only bottom tier amd cpus have igpus?

Can you use them as input for capture? did amd tell them that 5000 series will have integrated graphics?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

why do high end am4 boards have hdmi and displayports when only bottom tier amd cpus have igpus?

Can you use them as input for capture? did amd tell them that 5000 series will have integrated graphics?

They probably had extra I/O space and it probably didn’t cost them much since most of it is handled by the CPU. If they leave them off that automatically excluded anyone who wants to buy that board with interstates GPU. If you’re talking pennies to add and you have the space no reason not to

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

I've never seen a good explanation for why, but it refuses to run under a hypervisor system.

If you can't get into the BIOS you can't enable XMP for the ram, which means it's running at 2133 instead of 3600 and you're leaving a fair amount of performance on the table.

Updating the BIOS isn't as scary / dangerous as you've heard. It's got the potential to brick your mobo, but only if you do something dumb or are unlucky enough to have your power cut while it's updating. And with your parts still being in the return window, you can send it back if something goes wrong.

Updating without a screen is a little trickier, but the main thing is that there is a little LED next to the button that is your only source of feedback. Pull your PC to where you can see stuff if it isn't already. And the USB stick with your new bios needs to be plugged in to the jack that says BIOS:

The PDF manual online for your board doesn't have any instructions for using q-flash, maybe the paper one does? Anyways it should be the same as these instructions:

(Note that step 2, where your USB stick needs to be formatted in FAT or FAT32, is easier with a 32gb or smaller stick.)

This is all super helpful, thank you! And yeah the physical manual has instructions for q flash, also good to know about getting a relatively small USB.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Fauxtool posted:

My use case was upgrading my system and keeping my GPU. Stuck an APU in there and gave it to my dad as a new PC.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Man. I hate the 2mm of clearance between the gigantic NH-U14S and the GPU, but I ran Prime95 and it just would not get above 65C and any time it got to 63 the fans would spool up (according to the monitor, I couldn't tell) and the temp would drop back to 58 for another few minutes...

I actually forgot what I was doing and left it running for about 30 minutes and it was still sitting at 58C with 100% CPU. :aaaaa:

Should I stress test longer to make sure everything is set?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Man. I hate the 2mm of clearance between the gigantic NH-U14S and the GPU, but I ran Prime95 and it just would not get above 65C and any time it got to 63 the fans would spool up (according to the monitor, I couldn't tell) and the temp would drop back to 58 for another few minutes...

I actually forgot what I was doing and left it running for about 30 minutes and it was still sitting at 58C with 100% CPU. :aaaaa:

Should I stress test longer to make sure everything is set?

Honestly most overclocks I have done that pass the 10 min mark can also pass the 30 min mark.

If things aren't happy they show up under 5 minutes typically.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Okay so good news: I updated to latest BIOS and that fixed my sleep restart problem! I used gigabyte's @BIOS software instead, since the gigabyte site recommended using that over q flash if possible.

Bad news: my computer still skips the mobo's post so I can't access the boot menu or BIOS or anything like that. I've turned off fast boot and everything else I can think of, and attempting to go to window's advanced restart options leads to a black screen. My install of windows seems to be set to legacy so I can't access UEFI boot menu, could that be causing this problem? Obviously this isn't super critical, but I'm worried it could bite me in the rear end down the road if I need to get to the boot screen for some reason.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Okay so good news: I updated to latest BIOS and that fixed my sleep restart problem! I used gigabyte's @BIOS software instead, since the gigabyte site recommended using that over q flash if possible.

Bad news: my computer still skips the mobo's post so I can't access the boot menu or BIOS or anything like that. I've turned off fast boot and everything else I can think of, and attempting to go to window's advanced restart options leads to a black screen. My install of windows seems to be set to legacy so I can't access UEFI boot menu, could that be causing this problem? Obviously this isn't super critical, but I'm worried it could bite me in the rear end down the road if I need to get to the boot screen for some reason.

Have you tried just hitting the key anyway? Some displays don’t like the bios screen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kingnothing posted:

Have you tried just hitting the key anyway? Some displays don’t like the bios screen

Yup, both for boot and bios menus. I was able to see the logo screen and access the boot menu it properly on my old hard drive, but now that I've set the new one to default I'm not seeing it. And, of course, I can't access the boot screen to change it back :v: I guess I could try just disconnecting the new drive so it defaults to the old one...?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yup, both for boot and bios menus. I was able to see the logo screen and access the boot menu it properly on my old hard drive, but now that I've set the new one to default I'm not seeing it. And, of course, I can't access the boot screen to change it back :v: I guess I could try just disconnecting the new drive so it defaults to the old one...?

Yeah that’s what I was just about to suggest. Disconnect the new drive.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
This thread recommends 550 motherboards quite a bit, but how are 570 boards? I've seen a few comparisons that say the 570 is the superior choice.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

literally this big posted:

This thread recommends 550 motherboards quite a bit, but how are 570 boards? I've seen a few comparisons that say the 570 is the superior choice.

if you don't know that you need some feature that x570 has over b550 then you are just pissing money away by buying an x570 board

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

X570 has more pcie lanes but this only matters if you want to connect a shitload of stuff to your mobo at once. A typical B550 board can handle the following at once:

1 pcie 4.0 x16 graphics card
1 pcie 4.0 x4 m.2 ssd
1 pcie 3.0 x4 m.2 ssd
6 SATA devices
2 pcie 3.0 x1 cards

That is more than 95%+ of PC users will touch. If you're in the <5% that needs more poo poo connected at once than x570 is better.

It's also all that physically fits on a matx board anyway, which is why B550 matx boards are a popular suggestion for like $110-130

B550 boards also include BIOS flashback and 2.5g lan at lower price points than X570.

$180 B550 boards benchmark exactly the same as $220+ X570 boards and have massively overkill VRMs.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 2, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

well, gently caress. at least it runs fine, but is there anything I can do about this? I’d like to be able to close the case, lol.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

well, gently caress. at least it runs fine, but is there anything I can do about this? I’d like to be able to close the case, lol.

Could try taking a dremel to the end of the bracket. Looks like it would a tight fit but you could probably get the case on over it, with a little bit of bulging.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Swap it out for a low profile bracket if the card comes with one / you can find one?

Or a dremel, that totally works.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Doesn't come with a short bracket to swap? Maybe you can buy one? That's a thing

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Woah, so you could access the BIOS while using all the current hardware, but only when the old drive was the first boot device? That's weird, but brings up a possibility! Your windows install may not be properly set up for UEFI booting, and I think that booting from NVMe drives prefers UEFI mode.

Check out this page of instructions to see if your drives are MBR or GPT, and if MBR then convert it to GPT.

(But I could be totally wrong, you're kinda in :iiam: territory.)

sean10mm posted:

X570 has more pcie lanes but this only matters if you want to connect a shitload of stuff to your mobo at once. A typical B550 board can handle the following at once:

1 pcie 4.0 x16 graphics card
1 pcie 4.0 x4 m.2 ssd
1 pcie 3.0 x4 m.2 ssd
6 SATA devices
2 pcie 3.0 x1 cards

Very minor correction: 4 SATA ports (when using the primary m.2 slot).

B550 still has the arrangement of the 300 & 400 boards, where 4 sata ports are provided by the chipset, and the CPU supplies either one NVMe or 2 more satas. So on boards with 6 sata ports, you can't use all 6 unless you forgo the "mnain" PCIe 4 slot.

OTOH most of the B550 mATX boards only include 4 ports so they're what-you-see-is-what-you-get.

And it doesn't change the conclusion,

sean10mm posted:

That is more than 95%+ of PC users will touch. If you're in the <5% that needs more poo poo connected at once than x570 is better.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Some Goon posted:

Swap it out for a low profile bracket if the card comes with one / you can find one?

Or a dremel, that totally works.

It IS a low profile bracket, afaik. I got it used, so it didn’t come with another bracket, at least. I thought low profile was referring to the height, didn’t even think of the width. I’ll do a search for a narrower bracket. Is the bracket hard to swap? Doesn’t look like it can be easily removed.

Anyway thanks. Thanks. Dremel is a metal cutting thing right? I’ll keep that as a last resort lol.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Klyith posted:

Very minor correction: 4 SATA ports (when using the primary m.2 slot).

This varies by board actually!

For instance, the B550 Aorus Pro always has 6 SATA ports available, and disables the 2nd and 3rd PCIe x16 slots as needed.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot (PCIEX4), integrated in the Chipset:
Supporting PCIe 3.0 x4 mode
* The M2B_SB connector shares bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot. The PCIEX4 slot will become unavailable when an SSD is installed in the M2B_SB connectors.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot (PCIEX2), integrated in the Chipset:
Supporting PCIe 3.0 x2 mode
* The PCIEX2 slot shares bandwidth with the SATA3 4, 5 connectors. The PCIEX2 slot will become unavailable when a device is installed in the SATA3 4 or SATA3 5 connector.

Why it even has three x16 slots is a whole other question, but since outside one video card x16 slots are basically a waste anyway, disabling them is hardly a loss IRL.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

a fatguy baldspot posted:

It IS a low profile bracket, afaik. I got it used, so it didn’t come with another bracket, at least. I thought low profile was referring to the height, didn’t even think of the width. I’ll do a search for a narrower bracket. Is the bracket hard to swap? Doesn’t look like it can be easily removed.

Anyway thanks. Thanks. Dremel is a metal cutting thing right? I’ll keep that as a last resort lol.

It's super easy and usually held to the card by the same bolts that receive the screws to hold VGA cables in place.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
How accurate is Newegg's wattage calculator? It's telling me that the SF600 platinum is totally fine to run a 3080 with a ryzen 3600. :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kunabomber posted:

How accurate is Newegg's wattage calculator? It's telling me that the SF600 platinum is totally fine to run a 3080 with a ryzen 3600. :v:

The 3600 only has 65 W TDP so that's entirely plausible. I think its absolute max power draw IRL is like 88.

e: Zen 2 are comically efficient, even the 16 core 5950X is only 105W TDP. Rumor is the new Zen 3 CPUs will raise that a good amount; IIRC the 5900X is speculated to have a TDP of 150W.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 2, 2020

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Sweet, I just canceled my SF750 from shopblt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I loathe that x570 boards have a tiny built-in fan cooler on them. Not only are they tiny but they also get louder and louder over the years. gently caress tiny fans. B550 boards are passively cooled.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
All this B550 talk has me reconsidering my board choice:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmGnTW/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi

I intend to throw a 3080 in, an M2 SSD. I'd like Bluetooth enabled on it as well. What's the equivalent B550 board so I can save some bones. Once I have one checked out, I'll run the QVL for appropriate RAM.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

m.hache posted:

All this B550 talk has me reconsidering my board choice:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmGnTW/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi

I intend to throw a 3080 in, an M2 SSD. I'd like Bluetooth enabled on it as well. What's the equivalent B550 board so I can save some bones. Once I have one checked out, I'll run the QVL for appropriate RAM.

I was considering the Asus TUF 550 Plus WiFi (which seems like the 550 equivalent of that board). The last few posts have been goons telling me to just go with the 550, but if the 550 is $180 and the 570 is $188, I don't see a reason to go with the 550. Maybe someone can tell me how I'm wrong?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I was considering the Asus TUF 550 Plus WiFi (which seems like the 550 equivalent of that board). The last few posts have been goons telling me to just go with the 550, but if the 550 is $180 and the 570 is $188, I don't see a reason to go with the 550. Maybe someone can tell me how I'm wrong?

Yeah that's what I'm seeing as well.

poo poo, for $8 I'll get the minor upgrades unless someone can show me why it's a bad idea.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There's a refreshed Asus Tuf Pro x570 with a usb-c header and wifi6 too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I was considering the Asus TUF 550 Plus WiFi (which seems like the 550 equivalent of that board).

It's not. The TUF B550 is lame while the TUF X570 is one of the best bargain X570 boards.

For most people a B550M Pro-VDH for $110 does everything the TUF X570 does, but with the added benefit of front panel USB-C and BIOS flashback. The X570 has better specs on paper that really don't come into play even if you stick a 5950X in the drat thing.

Or for equal money a B550 Aorus Pro (or Tomahawk or Rog Strix depending on stock/pricing that day) matches all the paper PCB/VRM specs of the TUF X570 and actually has better VRM temperature performance IRL, plus BIOS flashback and faster lan and a newer audio codec and some other little poo poo I forget.

Basically where good B550 vs. good X570 meet on performance, the B550 has more/newer features for the most part. Or you can get "enough" B550 for almost any real use for less than any X570 with the micro ATX B550 boards.

EngineerJoe posted:

There's a refreshed Asus Tuf Pro x570 with a usb-c header and wifi6 too.

Got a link to where it can be bought? Pcpartpicker still only shows the old one (but they are slow adding poo poo sometimes)

vv Also those

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 2, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The MSI B550M Mortar Wifi and the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX are both $170, have the same Intel wifi AX chip as the Asus, and equal in the VRM department as Asus's low end Tuf X570.

So unless you want RGB (where asus is def better) or are attached to the Asus name (which costs $10), those are good B550s that save enough money to be worth considering.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

sean10mm posted:

Got a link to where it can be bought? Pcpartpicker still only shows the old one (but they are slow adding poo poo sometimes)

vv Also those

It seems widely available in Canada but in the US B&H has it on pre-order:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1594470-REG/asus_tuf_gaming_x570_pro_wi_fi_tuf_gaming_x570_pro_wifi.html

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

About a $50 Variance between boards on MemoryExpress here in Canada. If I can find it comparable in price at another retailer I'll try to get them to price match, otherwise I'm ok with the "old" 570.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think we're having this motherboard conversation backwards. Rather than just guessing parts and having us comment on it, it's easier if you say what things you need and we can fish for that for you and explain how it hits your targets.

What's it for?
Budget?
Form factor?
How many slots/ports/etc. do you actually need?
Any other wants/needs/concerns/etc.?

Like, if you just want the most baller AMD motherboard that's even theoretically justifiable, just get a $220 MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi because it has every goddamn thing and should be bomb proof no matter what dumb poo poo you try to do it. But for MOST people, the X570 tax is pure waste. OTOH some people want to hook up 8 SSDs and 3 expansion cards at once, at which point B550's limits actually become practical problems instead of sheet list different number.

The main practical problem with buying one of the bargain X570 boards is that if you plan on going with Zen 3, they don't have BIOS flashback and probably won't come with the Zen 3 BIOS installed, so they won't recognize the CPU and you have no easy way to put a BIOS on it that will recognize it.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
So I built my new PC today and am having an issue.

Aorus B550 Pro
AMD 3700x
GTX1660
Corsair Cx650

I turn it on and all of the fans spin, but the red CPU troubleshooting light on the mobo is on and there is no display output. I tried reseating the CPU, GPU, and the power cables. I tried running one stick of RAM, using the clear CMOS pins, no luck. Another thing that is weird is that the power button turns the PC on but not off. Any suggestions of what else I should try?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dms666 posted:

So I built my new PC today and am having an issue.

Aorus B550 Pro
AMD 3700x
GTX1660
Corsair Cx650

I turn it on and all of the fans spin, but the red CPU troubleshooting light on the mobo is on and there is no display output. I tried reseating the CPU, GPU, and the power cables. I tried running one stick of RAM, using the clear CMOS pins, no luck. Another thing that is weird is that the power button turns the PC on but not off. Any suggestions of what else I should try?

Got both the big motherboard power cable and the 8-pin 12V cable plugged into the mobo?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hey gang, I'm in the market for a new GPU and PSU. Both are getting up there.

My GPU is a GTX 660, s o. My PSU is 450w and, GPU withstanding, something similar should do. I'm in the US, play games but am already fine with not rocking the highest settings - the GPU is more because it's starting to become a little less compatible/crash-happy with recent titles. My MB is a MSI Z370-a pro, for any form factor chat.

Got any recommendations? Preferably a total under the two hundred USD range. I'm a frugal beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Klyith posted:

Got both the big motherboard power cable and the 8-pin 12V cable plugged into the mobo?

Yeah both are in and I unplugged and replugged them a few times.

e: One other thing I noticed is that the Mobo is supposed to have RGB lighting in the corner, and that isn't on either. Possibly dead board?

dms666 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 2, 2020