Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

So was the guy in the cube a human or android? The head did not seem like a normal mummified head and he was drooling android jizz so I am assuming the former.

They said earlier that the Necromancers were given to the Mithraic from Sol so that was most definitely a precursor android that the Necromancers and Mother were derived from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

give me android milkies

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

"I like the idea of including androids... but what if they were full of milk?"

Androids... but with gratuitous cum gargling? I’m in.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Google Butt posted:

give me android milkies

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TheMopeSquad posted:

They said earlier that the Necromancers were given to the Mithraic from Sol so that was most definitely a precursor android that the Necromancers and Mother were derived from.

Yeah that was my take as well. Some other civilization was manipulated by Satan and brought an android to the cave to give birth to a snake a very long time ago.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm really loving this weird as gently caress flying god snake poo poo. Someone else already said it, but this show really demonstrates how safe most "sci-fi" shows play it. Any kind of display of creativity and going off theerails is seen as a huge financial risk so all we get are perpetual rehashes of the the same dumb superhero show over and over again

e: hail snek

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I think this show repeated the same problem Prometheus did with the space jockey. It took this weird and unique alien thing, the tube mouth dude locked in the decahedron, and "reveals" it was just a just slightly weird human-like dude wearing a suit lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TheMopeSquad posted:

Read the comic book tie in that was posted a page or two back. It doesn’t really spoil anything but Mother says that what you wrote is probably not true.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The show runner has said he has a 5 year plan and an ending. Just let the pieces fall.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

The show runner has said he has a 5 year plan and an ending. Just let the pieces fall.

Has this ever panned out or been true?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

socialsecurity posted:

Has this ever panned out or been true?
Babylon 5, which is very clear from the fact that the network then made them do another season and the show definitely had to grasp at straws. This is even more impressive since they had to swap the main character after season 1 but they still made it work.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Read the comic book tie in that was posted a page or two back. It doesn’t really spoil anything but Mother says that what you wrote is probably not true.

how would mother know? when shes telling the story she doesn't even know that she's a necromancer

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Prometheus also had a snek but it was going into a mouth not coming out of one.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Zebra posted:

People keep bringing up Zardoz in comparison to this show and I just need to say, as a person that LOVES Zardoz, and has watched it many times with others...Zardoz for the most part makes sense the first time you watch it through. I'd say 90% of people mentioning it have only seen the first 5 minutes with the giant stone head (which is pretty wild) and never gotten past that, but the rest of the movie uses surreal imagery and terminal British-acting to tell a pretty straightforward story with consistent rules for what's going on. I mean, the movie even has multiple flashbacks where characters explain in specific terms what's going on just in case the viewer is getting lost.

In other words, Sir I know Zardoz, and this show is no Zardoz.

I thought I was the only Zardoz fan around. Still wish they had released the vocal Beethoven from the intro. With all the remake talks I always hope someone nutty redoes Zardoz. Not any of the normal Hollywood directors but maybe like the guy who did Mandy. Give him all the LSD and cocaine and possibly Nicolas Cage.

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm really loving this weird as gently caress flying god snake poo poo. Someone else already said it, but this show really demonstrates how safe most "sci-fi" shows play it. Any kind of display of creativity and going off theerails is seen as a huge financial risk so all we get are perpetual rehashes of the the same dumb superhero show over and over again

e: hail snek

Hey goons - I got advance preview of the next season - spoilers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

All Hail Lord Space Snek!

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 2, 2020

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

It doesn't make much sense if more factions had necromancer technology then they would most definitely have atheist androids with the same capabilities out there fighting the Mithraic.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Babylon 5, which is very clear from the fact that the network then made them do another season and the show definitely had to grasp at straws. This is even more impressive since they had to swap the main character after season 1 but they still made it work.

Wasn't the situation with Babylon 5 that they actually got cancelled and had to wrap things up too soon, so they basically rushed through the end of their story in S4 only for the network to turn around and be like "lol just kidding have another season"

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Paradoxish posted:

Wasn't the situation with Babylon 5 that they actually got cancelled and had to wrap things up too soon, so they basically rushed through the end of their story in S4 only for the network to turn around and be like "lol just kidding have another season"

Yes. If I recall correctly, they cut the Psi War out of the overall plotline and compressed other storylines, and then they had to go back and do a rushed job of the Psi War. It's why the worst part of S5 was the PsiCorp stuff.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The finished product of Babylon 5 is certainly an impressive piece of continuous storytelling, but the story viewers saw was NOT the one planned out ahead of time. JMS definitely did have a story that he wrote the barebones of ahead of the show, but the final product did not resemble huge parts of that original plan. Part of this was because actors and actresses left the show for many different reasons, while other parts of his original show was untenable for cable television. Most of the first season (which was easily the worst one of the original four) sticks to his original plan, but after that things went off the rails and the writers had to scramble to make it all work. JMS is an excellent salesman, and he had to convince people that main characters (including the goddamn lead actor) leaving the show was all part of some big plan and was not a sign of a troubled production, so that's what he did.

Just to give you a preview of the original plot and how it diverged, let's talk about Babylon 4. Remember the two episodes seasons apart that feature Babylon 4? The ones that everyone points to as a sign of how cohesive the plot was? In the show Babylon 4 is travelling through time, appears briefly in season 1 where weird stuff is hinted at, and then reappears in season 3 where that weird stuff is explained and then the whole station travels backwards through time to the distant past to serve as a base to fight the Shadows. In the original plan for the show, Babylon 4 was traveling forwards through time (hence it disappearing and then reappearing in season 1), and was meant to serve as a base for humanity in the future in the war against the Minbari Warrior Caste. Wait, why is humanity fighting the Minbari? Because they are upset that Delenn and Sinclair's child is some kind of cross-species chosen one that will merge the two civilizations and have already blown up Babylon 5 at that point. This is why Sinclair appears a grey haired man in the season 1 episode and why Delenn (off screen due to her transformation) is acting like his lover.

There's a bunch of other stuff that's different:
-Sinclair is not Valen, just a dude destined to gently caress a Minbari,
-the Vorlons are a manipulative elder-race in the middle of a great decline who beat the Shadows 1,000 years ago, but whose decline allows the remaining Shadows to reappear
-there is no Order/Chaos fight, the Shadows and Vorlons are just two elder races that want to rule the galaxy and the Shadows kill all the Vorlons in one of the later portions of the original plot.
-Kosh copies Talia's memories so he can bring her back after her personality is erased by the Psi Corp programming
-Talia's entire psychic godhead plot line that got left on the cutting room floor when the actress got sexually harassed off the show.

And so on.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

He's been there a looong time

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

New thread title should be "Go on. Stretch your legs. Do some pooping"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do androids poop?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Thumposaurus posted:

New thread title should be "Go on. Stretch your legs. Do some pooping"

No lie, this is one of my favorite lines in the whole season.

Edit: phone posting

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

i desire milkies of the android variety

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Me and my roommate were watching the Kenneth Branagh Frankenstein movie before we threw on Raised By Wolves so last night felt like a celebration in the miracle that is the creation of life.

Just kidding it was gross out city

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ok can someone explain how Father got his finger re-attached ?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

DandyLion posted:

Maybe it's a baby space snek?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DandyLion posted:

It seems like for most injuries the androids are self healing seeing as Father's bullet wounds just kind of gradually vanished. Mother's issues seemed to be more from goo loss than the physical damage.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Some people were asking about why the voice would want the child born in the desert area and not the tropical zone. I'm thinking its in regards to the mithraic prophecy. Assuming the snake is technically an orphan and Mother was only a surrogate (she had no motherly connection to it so I think that works), in order for the prophecy to become reality, the snake needs to in the barren area. That would be being in the tropical zone isn't necessarily bad, it's just not what's supposed to happen. Now as for where that prophecy came from: Time Travel - Psychohistory - Literal Magic any one of those could turn out to be it, but Sol is the voice, then it has access to that vision of the future and doing everything it can to make it happen.

More extended theory just restates what some others have said in the thread. It's a super powerful alien bad guy that was just barely defeated and wants to live and/or be a powerful conqueror again (or maybe it's a insect-like simple consciousness what just wants to breed and consume - that at least would be an interesting parenthood contrast to human beings). Going to guess that it managed to psychicly broadcast info and tech to Earth with the purpose of humans eventually traveling there and beginning used as pawns. Maybe the aliens discovered Earth tens of thousands of years earlier and that's why the guy had the neanderthal skull. They might even pull some poo poo like "Sol's psychic influence lead the human mind to develop faster." Once humans got to Kepler, they'd be easy to dominate and rule since they'd worship him as a god.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Where I thought they were going with the voices was that it was going to be some sort of AI implanted in the brains of everyone who had accessed the simulation and also buried code that Campion Sr hid in Mother's memories. Campion Sr, using his knowledge of Mithraic systems, manages to sneak a virus in to the Ark simulation code (thus corrupting everyone on the Ark during their journey). He plants code in Mother that compels her to destroy the Ark when it eventually arrives and also to seek out a simulation pod to activate her birthing abilities. This would explain all the children being practice and why it doesn't really matter that they die of potato radiation poisoning and Father not hearing the voices, and it makes sense to me that someone who defects from Mithraism may be so disgusted by the whole human experiment that he thinks they're better off building an android society. It also would explain why the voice would try to convince Campion Jr to commit suicide -- he's not needed any more, and is actually a distraction from Mother's true purpose -- and also why the voice might suggest to the kids (speculation) to destroy the snowballs. And it explains the voices that any Mithraic hears.

Of course, Campion Jr was never *in* a simulation, nor were the other kids, so how would the AI get to them? Maybe it transferred over while they gestated with Mother? I don't know. It was just a theory that is clearly incorrect now.

By the way, why is Campion Jr magically immune to potato radiation?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

werdnam posted:

By the way, why is Campion Jr magically immune to potato radiation?

He's got mother's eyeball fluid in him, just like Marcus and Buckethead Rapist.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Man that robot goo can do anything, they should sell it by itself.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Man that robot goo can do anything, they should sell it by itself.

how many times does it need to be said, it's milk

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Op can you put a poll on the thread whether its goo, milk or fluid tia

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

i desire milkies of the android variety

Is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FQxp_8AGtk

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

this show started strong with blade runner like android trying to raise kids.
but by end of season it was all Lost all over again which is a shame.
My guess is that all the mysteries in the end were fillers to prolong the show. The worm thing was cool but made no sense in context of story.
Like its not xenomorph story, it should be story about androids struggling with raising kids in alien environment.
as the show went on we saw less and less about growth and more and more about bs mysteries ragnars great space madness acting etc...

this show had great potential. But now its hard to tell if its going somewhere
Its more likely going to be another Lost.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i loved lost

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the finale a lot, but my only gripe is that the snake isn't even the same type of snake as the skeletons, so that throws everything I could have speculated about between seasons in the toilet and just makes it feel completely random.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I liked the finale a lot, but my only gripe is that the snake isn't even the same type of snake as the skeletons, so that throws everything I could have speculated about between seasons in the toilet and just makes it feel completely random.

The showrunner discussed this in an interview, he says that the difference is deliberate and it has something to do with Mother. https://collider.com/raised-by-wolves-finale-ending-explained-hbo-max/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

first season was alright, but it really did become clear at end of season 2 that they were just piling mysteries on top of mysteries.
just like how this show started with mysterious holes on ground ---> monsters --> evil ghosts --> Neanderthals --> lamprey snakes that can fly
absolutely nothing has gotten clearer and we still have no ideas how things are supposed to even fit together.
next season we get mutant ragnar being space jesus for some reason that wont get explained until season 5