Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

25th, but it doesn't cope gracefully with the lame duck period between election and inauguration, so I'm taking that as my prediction using the ever-reliable "what's the single dumbest loving thing that could happen?" prediction criteria.

(incidentally the first suggestion you get when you start typing "26th a" into wiki is the 26th Adult Video Network Awards. Never change, nerds, never change)

What happens if a candidate dies right before the election? That sounds chaotic to me.

E: No cats today, but the 166 bus apparently goes to Banstead Marks & Spencer, OR Epsom Hospital (but not both!)

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

What happens if a candidate dies right before the election? That sounds chaotic to me.

The Meme Wars grow hot

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobstar posted:

Imagine the election plotline in Veep but less realistic.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

stev posted:

Imagine the election plotline in Veep but less realistic.

Hope you got the "Never hope" pic too

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

IANACL, but as I understand it once the ballots are printed then even if they're dead the person with most (electoral college) votes becomes President but then of course is instantly succeeded by their Vice President, who in turn picks their VP - that's an odd wrinkle that no other election in the US has because the Presidential election is explicitly for a slate of President and VP, because the previous and even more chaotic system was that you voted only for President and the VP was the person who got the second most votes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Marmaduke! posted:

Hope you got the "Never hope" pic too

No I'm very hopeful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the previous and even more chaotic system was that you voted only for President and the VP was the person who got the second most votes.
That at least sounds like it would either put an end to hyperpartisan politics or become hilarious in short order.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm building a rapid response gif folder for Trump Death Day - we got Ghanaian funeral guys, crab dance, M Bison rejoicing. All your favourites are here!

Just make sure you've also got :10bux: so that Necrothatcher can get a name-change as well

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IANACL, but as I understand it once the ballots are printed then even if they're dead the person with most (electoral college) votes becomes President but then of course is instantly succeeded by their Vice President, who in turn picks their VP - that's an odd wrinkle that no other election in the US has because the Presidential election is explicitly for a slate of President and VP, because the previous and even more chaotic system was that you voted only for President and the VP was the person who got the second most votes.

That makes sense, within the bounds of US politics at least

Also, instantly you say? An opportunity to study faster-than-light communication you say?

yes this joke's been done before with kings

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

That at least sounds like it would either put an end to hyperpartisan politics or become hilarious in short order.

This happened with Jefferson being VP to John Adams after narrowly losing in 1796. I'm sure it wasn't as wacky as implied in the hit musical Hamilton, but I'm pretty sure they hated each other as much as two aristocrats can.

E: actually I just looked it up, apparently Adams shouting out Jefferson as his last words (they died on the same day) was because they became homies again, not lifetime enemies :shrug:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 2, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm pretty sure they hated each other as much as two aristocrats can.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Machines don’t feel hate.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Machines don’t feel hate.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gove's not an aristo, he's one of those weird try-hard pubbie Tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

nice

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

The weirder outcome is if he survives but ends up super hosed up by it and they have to decide what to do with him.

Crippling long covid and bankruptcy due to those huge loans being due would be fine.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sebzilla posted:

Gove's not an aristo, he's one of those weird try-hard pubbie Tories.

According to that tell-all Tory book, Gove and his wife, Sarah Vine were never quiiiite accepted into Cameron's aristocratic circle of friends due to their oikish origins.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

I really hope the virus gives old 2 scoops locked in syndrome, they could charge people to come and gawk at him.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lungboy posted:

Crippling long covid and bankruptcy due to those huge loans being due would be fine.

Imagine if he lost his voice, like he literally could not speak after the virus fucks up his throat

What would he do, write a book?

:lmao:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Imagine if he lost his voice, like he literally could not speak after the virus fucks up his throat

What would he do, write a book?

:lmao:

Twitter dot com

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
^^ God dammit.

Anyway I hope he dies a long, painful death. Nobody could deserve it more.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

^^ God dammit.

Anyway I hope he dies a long, painful death. Nobody could deserve it more.

:same:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

wondering if he'd actually fare better on the campaign trail hooked up to a ventilator in an ICU/slowly decomposing in a mortuary

e: new covid policy, 10,000 souls a day must be sacrificed so that he may never truly die

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're gonna stuff him in a space marineforce dreadnought.

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL TWEET

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

At this stage I worry that Pence is way more electable than Trump.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL TWEET

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/justdelossantos/status/1311896628916150274?s=19

Almost :perfect:

If only he'd outright said "I won't catch Covid".

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Are there any interesting books on the British Empire and specifically its crimes? Like a killing hope for the UK, type of thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't think of good general ones, but specific crimes:
Britain's Gulag - about the atrocities during Kenyan independence
White Fury - about the slow collapse of Caribbean slavery
Indian Summer - about Indian independence and the collapse of Empire
Blood & Sand - about Suez and the end of Britain as a global power
Late Victorian Holocausts - about Late Victorian Holocausts

e: Also any of Cecil Rhodes' personal letters because he does all the heavy lifting himself lol

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've still got this tab open from the last time someone asked, haven't got round to buying it yet but it sounds pretty good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also other people's histories are a good point of reflection. A Short History of South Africa is more like a "who we are and how we got here" for all South Africans, but like midway through Britain turns up and does crimes.

Same for A History of Ireland in 250 Episodes. Probably the same for a quarter of the rest of the world.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
drat who could have predicted this idea was actually extremely popular

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1311930235122847745?s=20

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Bobstar posted:

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1311804268928794627

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Monthly praise be to the glorious candy leader Camrath as my order arrived.

The beans are firmly up my backside.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 2, 2020

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Jose posted:

drat who could have predicted this idea was actually extremely popular

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1311930235122847745?s=20

Are red wall MPs making GBS threads themselves now that brexit and Corbyn are no longer issues they can beat over constituents heads?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Canrath if you do advent calendar fudge with a different little fudgy surprise behind each door I would gnaw my own arm off to get one for my mum.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Sanford posted:

Canrath if you do advent calendar fudge with a different little fudgy surprise behind each door I would gnaw my own arm off to get one for my mum.

Oh man I'd buy this for everyone I know.

2020 themed, featuring a lot of guillotines

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh gently caress yes 2020 themed UKMT advent calendar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Are red wall MPs making GBS threads themselves now that brexit and Corbyn are no longer issues they can beat over constituents heads?

Corbyn is going to be a useful scare tactic for decades to come.