Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So what are we betting? Obviously the Wood Elves get 1, probably 2 LL's from this pack (They will get one of the versus Lords, plus a bonus LL if you own the Wood Elves DLC), but who will the other faction be? I'm hoping Beastmen perhaps, or maybe Norsca. Tons of Norscan factions that don't have a LL. Maybe they'll surprise us and do a re-work of both WE and Beastmen.

The original announcement that WE would get a DLC also said it would be a Lord Pack featuring another original TWW2 race, so the options at this point are Dark Elves or Skaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

ZearothK posted:

The original announcement that WE would get a DLC also said it would be a Lord Pack featuring another original TWW2 race, so the options at this point are Dark Elves or Skaven.

Ah, I missed that. Skaven have the most obvious LL missing in Throt, but location-wise he doesn't fit at all (NE old world). I guess they could move him, but NE old world is actually the one area Skaven COULD use a new LL to cover every continent nicely so it seems like a waste at that point. Obviously they split Vortex and ME but still. I guess that's the most likely scenario though. They do have 2 DLC lords already though.

DE really don't have much in the way of compelling new LLs AND they already got 2 new DLC lords just like Skaven. It would be strange to add another for them I think. Also for some reason CA give all their shittiest DLC mechanics to the DE and Lizardmen lords and HE/Skaven/the DLC factions got all the fun ones, so I'm not sure I want another DE lord based on that...

E: Like there are technically characters CA can dig up for any faction still, it's not like they haven't added obscure ones before (why Ghorst, why?!). Even half-relevant ones like Rakarth. But in terms of actual big important characters it feels like only Throt, Thanquol and the Phoenix King are left, and of those we know Thanquol won't make it and the Phoenix King honestly isn't that big of a deal as a LL. DE and Lizards are just very bare.

WH1 actually have way more missing important/faction-defining characters than the WH2 factions even discounting Chaos and just looking at the vanilla four. But about half of them are Vampire Counts lol.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 1, 2020

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am fully excited for when beastmen and chaos get a rework and it is still underwhelming because hordes

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Apparently the Amazon horde implementation in Troy was good? I mean I didn't reinstall to test but maybe they finally Figured Hordes Out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

Ah, I missed that. Skaven have the most obvious LL missing in Throt, but location-wise he doesn't fit at all (NE old world).

Pretty easy to come up with a reason to change that if you're playing on the vortex map, he's just out on a trip to find more monsters to cut up and turn into super monsters.

I think it is probably going to be Throt cause that part of the skaven army is a pretty obvious DLC avenue.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Insurrectionist posted:

Apparently the Amazon horde implementation in Troy was good? I mean I didn't reinstall to test but maybe they finally Figured Hordes Out.

It is fun, still suffers from the AI being very happy about settling razed territories, if they could add a cooldown before a razed settlement can be rebuilt, I'd have no complaints. It is not as aggravating in Troy because it is easier to get allies who will be settling stuff in your wake.

But the way they CA Sofia did was relatively simple:

-Hordes are really strong on their own and are only really vulnerable when building up or recovering from a large battle. Horde armies cannot reinforce each other, but you can activate Blood Oaths to get a number of unbreakable elite units as extras on top of your 20 stack.

-Beyond the usual razing bonuses, enemy settlements give lump sums of resources when razed, depending on their settlement type. This means you have enough control of your economy to avoid the economic woes that horde armies suffer from in the early game.

Recruiting only T1 units and upgrading those as they veteran up is also a really cool mechanic that I hope they steal for an overhauled Warriors of Chaos or Daemons of Chaos.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I know it's probably going to be Skaven, and I know they feel they have to tie it to game 2 factions rather than game 1. But I really don't think Skaven need a sixth LL while Norsca have two and Beastmen have three. OK, maybe they'll both be getting big overhauls with Warhams 3 since it will focus on chaotic races, but Warhams 3 doesn't exist yet. Even if you do ignore those two, Skaven already have a ton of fun options in terms of campaign mechanics and start locations. They're probably the most developed faction in the game and every other faction has a better claim to new content than they do, imo.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 1, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

Ah, I missed that. Skaven have the most obvious LL missing in Throt, but location-wise he doesn't fit at all (NE old world). I guess they could move him, but NE old world is actually the one area Skaven COULD use a new LL to cover every continent nicely so it seems like a waste at that point. Obviously they split Vortex and ME but still. I guess that's the most likely scenario though. They do have 2 DLC lords already though.
To be fair, they have been putting a ton of effort into ME with each of these DLCs with new mechanics (Empire rework and Greenskin rework), new settlements, and even a whole new map area for Snikcth, Malus, and Imrik. So them adding Throt to the Vortex map is kind of whatever at this point. They'll move the existing Moulder away from being stuck between Queek and Kroq-Gar to where ever they want (go go North Western Lustria!) and do what thebardyspoon said and probably have something awesome for Hellpit on ME.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah skaven seems like the obvious choice for the other race, Throt as a beastmaster trying to poach precious forest beasts. DE also has a beastmaster character in Rakarth to slot into the exact same plot, but their roster is pretty much complete. Skaven still has some famously missing units and has more room to slot in stuff like Rat Ogres (weapon option) than DE.

I'm more excited for elfs though. Ariel is definitely going to be the free lord that hangs out in the woods and does the original campaign (but reworked!! :getin:), and every single other wood elf character is on the table for the DLC one. give trailer :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Alternatively, this is a Tetto'eko vs Ariel DLC :v:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I guess we should’ve had a teaser yesterday if they were going to launch the trailer today, huh? Ah well. Hopefully next week.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anno posted:

I guess we should’ve had a teaser yesterday if they were going to launch the trailer today, huh? Ah well. Hopefully next week.
Yesterday was still September so I'm hoping its next week. If not I'mma be sad.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Bummed no info released at all this week, six months between DLC is just way too long time, even considering CA released stuff for their other IPs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Decided to start a VC campaign as Vlad the Dad in celebration of October, and I just wiped out my idiot failson Mannfredd off the face of the earth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I didnt really enjoy tiqtaqto but krok-gar is good

Lizards are fun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gor Rok is a decent lord but his army comps are very boring.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Although its spooktober so maybe I should be playing VC or TK

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The most pure skeleton army is actually the empire IMO. Very few monster units, infantry heavy, quite big unit sizes, no ghosts or constructs, cavalry ride horses, artillery still come with like 30-40 crew, steam tank can be assumed to have crew. Brettonia also similar though i'm on the fence as to whether the fay enchantress counts, she flops around a lot when she moves so she might not have one. Green knight probably is full of celery.

VC/TK might be more obvious skeletons but ghosts don't have skeletons and the heavier reliance on monster units means low unit counts unless you deliberately go all skeleton, though their high unit sizes are a factor.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The most pure skeleton army is actually the empire IMO. Very few monster units, infantry heavy, quite big unit sizes, no ghosts or constructs, cavalry ride horses, artillery still come with like 30-40 crew, steam tank can be assumed to have crew. Brettonia also similar though i'm on the fence as to whether the fay enchantress counts, she flops around a lot when she moves so she might not have one. Green knight probably is full of celery.

VC/TK might be more obvious skeletons but ghosts don't have skeletons and the heavier reliance on monster units means low unit counts unless you deliberately go all skeleton, though their high unit sizes are a factor.

Gelt has probably replaced all his bones with gold, and I don't think that counts as a skeleton still.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah gently caress I forgot about gelt. Yeah he's definitely made of gold.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I think the lore is he f*cked up a spell and his skin is part gold, so he wears a gold mask to cover his difigurement?

So not entirely gold.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
The Gold college does have a spell that can replace body parts with animate gold equivalents permanently (apparently, Gold magisters are almost as likely to be killed by a greedy mob as by an angry one), but if it fucks up, it leaves them horrible disfigured instead. So Gelt could go either way, though iirc his backstory in the 6e empire army book made it sound like an accident.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

If it does end up being Clan Moulder I would like to express my condolences to those who like the Wood Elves on not getting any of the good and fun stuff in that DLC. :rip:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really feel like it's gonna be some Wood Elf lord I'm not familiar with (maybe the twins?) and Throt. Moulder has been sitting on the map, MENACINGLY for a long time now. loving Hellpit is right on the map in an amazing start spot. Skaven have conspicuously gotten most of their Skryre and Eshin stuff but none of the Frankenrat poo poo.

It's almost assuredly Throt and Clan Moulder. The only question is where are they going to shove the Wood Elf lord and Throt on the Vortex map?

Also, I'm really hoping that for WH3 they forget the whole "separate campaign maps!" thing and just make the whole drat world the map and it otherwise works like ME: if you own the faction, you can play them, otherwise they're there, doing things.

I get why some people like the Vortex, but I feel like it's very limiting in terms of potential DLC. Considering that the 3rd game could, potentially, have a very long life cycle... why segregate again? Sorta made sense with WH2, but not now.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gonkish posted:

I really feel like it's gonna be some Wood Elf lord I'm not familiar with (maybe the twins?) and Throt. Moulder has been sitting on the map, MENACINGLY for a long time now. loving Hellpit is right on the map in an amazing start spot. Skaven have conspicuously gotten most of their Skryre and Eshin stuff but none of the Frankenrat poo poo.

It's almost assuredly Throt and Clan Moulder. The only question is where are they going to shove the Wood Elf lord and Throt on the Vortex map?

Also, I'm really hoping that for WH3 they forget the whole "separate campaign maps!" thing and just make the whole drat world the map and it otherwise works like ME: if you own the faction, you can play them, otherwise they're there, doing things.

I get why some people like the Vortex, but I feel like it's very limiting in terms of potential DLC. Considering that the 3rd game could, potentially, have a very long life cycle... why segregate again? Sorta made sense with WH2, but not now.

The obvious spot is the Wood Elf settlement in the southlands.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The WH2 multiplayer tournament CA runs is having open qualifiers this and next weekend. No date when the main event will be held, but these tournaments are played usually before the official DLC release, so I'm guessing we will be waiting for the DLC till the end of the month.

Turin talks about it here at the start of his stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enTmAproiG8&t=251s

Beware of very loud butt-metal song in case the timestamp failed.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gonkish posted:

For Throt there’s all those mountain ranges north of Morathi that are basically unused

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Northwest Ulthuan or even the norsca culture regions up there could be fun too and definitely have monsters to catch

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Eh, while the vortex mechanics suck, the actual map is nice. The ME map really sucks if you want to play anyone in a game 2 area other than maybe the northern Southlands.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Northwest Ulthuan or even the norsca culture regions up there could be fun too and definitely have monsters to catch

Skaven are never going to start on Ulthuan.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eimi posted:

Eh, while the vortex mechanics suck, the actual map is nice. The ME map really sucks if you want to play anyone in a game 2 area other than maybe the northern Southlands.

Yeah I'd rather play a wh2 race in vortex even with the mechanics just because the map is nicer. I'd like to see the ME map revisited.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I got Troy for free, is the map in that game way better than Warhammer 2 in terms of provinces and space? Perhaps W3 will re-do Mortal Empires if there is a bigger capacity for more provinces and regions.

Also, I'm really pulling for a Chaos Wastes/Realm of Chaos addition to the map for W3. Archeon's Chaos campaign is so lackluster right now with only Norsca for him to fight thru. Make the Chaos Wastes a crazy region like in the lore, with random cities, lots of roving armies, all fighting to prove their fidelity to their chosen god. And then if they level up enough, let them go into the Realms of Chaos to do some more fighting. Then they can emerge for the big Chaos Invasion.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I got Troy for free, is the map in that game way better than Warhammer 2 in terms of provinces and space? Perhaps W3 will re-do Mortal Empires if there is a bigger capacity for more provinces and regions.

I don't want more space, I want less. One thing that makes ME tedious is just how large everything is, when for me, the appeal is the sheer variety of factions to fight and territory considerations. I want to plausibly be able to fight every faction (or at least race) as most others, and ME's sheer size (especially with climate instead of settleable territories) is a bit much.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if all four gods have their own faction the chaos wastes will probably be pretty huge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the old world, the mountain ranges and different biomes make for quite good variety, and I'd like stuff east of the world's edge mountains too, the area that was added to the east a while ago was a nice addition.

Lustria is a bit.. eh. I feel like the west/northwest of the map suffers from being a big long coast with minimal room to maneuver.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Also, I'm really pulling for a Chaos Wastes/Realm of Chaos addition to the map for W3. Archeon's Chaos campaign is so lackluster right now with only Norsca for him to fight thru. Make the Chaos Wastes a crazy region like in the lore, with random cities, lots of roving armies, all fighting to prove their fidelity to their chosen god. And then if they level up enough, let them go into the Realms of Chaos to do some more fighting. Then they can emerge for the big Chaos Invasion.

Aesthetically and thematically it's great. It's really fun to do islandhopping at first too.

Mechanically, it depends on your tolerance for stealth armies sailing across the sea and appearing behind your lines over and over forever because LOS for the ocean is horrendously tiny and the map is 50% islands and due to the conceit of the setting about half the factions on the opposite side of the map to you will declare war so you can't avoid it by only fighting neighbors.

I imagine the latter is not as big of a problem if you play one of the factions around Troy though, RIP me for starting Sarpedon.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

What happened with the animation modding framework? It just disappeared and now I cannot load my save and I'm not even sure how the mods that relied on it would work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't like either of the wh2 maps. Compared to 3k there's too much dead space and the scale of the campaign map just doesn't work for trying to represent interesting movement of armies with such a geographically massive area.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd be in favor of a well done map squish, empire would be the hardest one to squish down probably just turning everything into capitals with just one or two connected towns.

Aim for a map where you run into different factions other then your own in just a few turns of travel, would probably be very hard to pull off and not just having everything look too small.

Perhaps the same could be achieved with more campaign movement over time, how dumb of a idea would be if every faction got 1% campaign movement range per turn for the first 100 turns? seems like a easy mod to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You know what would make a map squish easier? Risk-style map :getin: