Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You CA goons are being weird arguing against ABS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

You CA goons are being weird arguing against ABS.

Not one person here has done that. Peoples over-reliance on it, sure, but that's not an argument against ABS any more than telling someone "Start on a small bike" is an argument against big bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nobody is arguing against abs, learn to read oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that is a highly illegal word!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In the words of Marco simoncelli: they can arrest me

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My perspective matches Slavvy's. I've ridden on road for 32+ years and the numbers of times I've seen or been aware of a motorcycle accident where I think that the person would have been saved by ABS is vanishingly small. Does ABS have a purpose? Yes. But it's not like car ABS you won't be slamming the brakes while cranking the steering and expect to stay up and it's definitely not a substitute for good judgment.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

In the words of Marco simoncelli: they can arrest me

yeah but he dead

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fine they can run over my unprotected neck and drop me on the stretcher

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yuns posted:

My perspective matches Slavvy's. I've ridden on road for 32+ years and the numbers of times I've seen or been aware of a motorcycle accident where I think that the person would have been saved by ABS is vanishingly small. Does ABS have a purpose? Yes. But it's not like car ABS you won't be slamming the brakes while cranking the steering and expect to stay up and it's definitely not a substitute for good judgment.

I would have been saved from my very ungraceful 15 mph spill where I grabbed all the front brake on a frozen tar snake, I think. I mean, I'm still at fault for the whole thing, but I don't think I'd have lost the front.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I see I've angered the anti-abs crowd. :haw:

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
It may be beneficial to understand that not all people have the same experiences of traffic, and new zealand apparently looks like this https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic-and-travel-information/traffic-cameras and owns a few dozen cars collectively across the entire nation of well paved and barely used roads, whereas an american rider has to traverse the fractured rubble of our infrastructure that hasnt been maintained since the 60s to joust at close combat range with a million drivers in lifted F150s trying to shoot each other at 88 MPH through a cloud of police chemical weapons

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what does traffic have to do with "be a not poo poo rider" lol

abs does not make you less poo poo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If ABS kicks in on the street then you are in a situation where you would be better off with ABS. I do not understand why you people think "should have ABS" equals "let jesus take the levers".

You can have both and the street isn't a manicured racetrack.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

It may be beneficial to understand that not all people have the same experiences of traffic, and new zealand apparently looks like this https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic-and-travel-information/traffic-cameras and owns a few dozen cars collectively across the entire nation of well paved and barely used roads, whereas an american rider has to traverse the fractured rubble of our infrastructure that hasnt been maintained since the 60s to joust at close combat range with a million drivers in lifted F150s trying to shoot each other at 88 MPH through a cloud of police chemical weapons

:lmao: holy fucken poo poo. Not even gonna.

Razzled posted:

what does traffic have to do with "be a not poo poo rider" lol

abs does not make you less poo poo

How do I make a quote like, neon flash or something somehow?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nobody should wear helmets. If you focus on not being a poo poo rider then you don't need one. A helmet never made anyone a better rider.

You gotta be all in.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I am so confused what is even being ranted about now

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't need ABS because my motto is when in doubt, throttle out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shithead SUV driver decided to yell at me for "parking too close" in front of him

he was the only person parked on the street, yeah i pulled up in front of him, it was closest spot to the store entrance. completely empty street behind him. he gets out "WHY YOU PARK THERE? WHY YOU PARK ON MY BUMPER? HOW I SUPPOSED TO LEAVE?"

"there's a little spot here that fits a motorcycle, i can't park further forwards because it's a yellow zone"
"HOW I SUPPOSED TO LEAVE??"
"back up a little??"
"WHY DON'T YOU PARK BEHIND, YOU rear end in a top hat?"
"I always try to park in front of people because this way you can see my bike, you don't have to worry about how far to back up to not hit me"
"YOU ARE JUST rear end in a top hat!!! WHY DON'T YOU PARK IN ANY OTHER SPACE, YOU PARK RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, YOU rear end in a top hat"

i rolled my eyes and restarted the bike and reparked behind him. got off and gave him a big salute as I walked past, and he peeled out and torque-steered into the opposing lane for a second, then lurched back. gg

once again, an example of how Traffic Is A Competition and Anyone In Front Of Me Is Beating Me (and also I Shoudn't Be Expected To Use My Car In Reverse)

:jerkbag:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 2, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I never ride, therefore I avoid all accidents and therefore I am a better rider than all of you.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Razzled posted:

what does traffic have to do with "be a not poo poo rider"

vastly increasing the number of opportunities for a rider who isn't maintaining at all times perfect warrior monk concentration on the motorcycle bushido to panic and grab a handful of front brake because poo poo happens and a congested environment leads to distraction which decreases available reaction time to deal with the hundreds of millions of untrained, distracted and stressed drivers jamming a crumbling road system designed for tens of millions 70 years ago?

Coydog posted:

Nobody should wear helmets. If you focus on not being a poo poo rider then you don't need one. A helmet never made anyone a better rider.

You gotta be all in.
:amen:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
imagine thinking paying attention to what's in front of you takes years of sitting under a waterfall

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
It’s important you learn to emergency brake without ABS in case you one day leave your house and forget to bring your ABS with you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

imagine thinking paying attention to what's in front of you takes years of sitting under a waterfall

Nobody is saying this. What people are saying is that it's impossible to be sure you can do that 100% of the time in every scenario. Even if you can be sure of that, someone might not see you and pull out in front of you with little notice anyway and you may not be street rossi on the brakes.

Man, my argument for ABS isn't related to any of this nonsense. I want ABS for the little things like less than ideal traction where I don't expect it.

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE ARGUING FOR DECREASED TRACTION ON A TWO WHEELED VEHICLE

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Because boomer is a state of mind

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I never ride, therefore I avoid all accidents and therefore I am a better rider than all of you.
this checks out, honestly

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Getting called the c word by Slavvy is a badge of honor I think. Either way Slavvy I love you man.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

It wasn’t even the good C word.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Curmudgeon

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Nobody is saying this. What people are saying is that it's impossible to be sure you can do that 100% of the time in every scenario. Even if you can be sure of that, someone might not see you and pull out in front of you with little notice anyway and you may not be street rossi on the brakes.

Man, my argument for ABS isn't related to any of this nonsense. I want ABS for the little things like less than ideal traction where I don't expect it.

Learn to read, nobody did that. Not one person has argued against abs, not one.

Coredump posted:

Getting called the c word by Slavvy is a badge of honor I think. Either way Slavvy I love you man.

Did you learn to read though? I don't want to eat a sixer if you won't read anyway.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Did you learn to read though? I don't want to eat a sixer if you won't read anyway.

Did you recognize I was taking the piss? :)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Every streetbike should have abs and tcs

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Isn't the c word acceptable for slavvy to say based on his geographical location because these anti word rules are absolutely stupid as hell and have carved out exceptions for that?

Mods here are capital r words tho so big shocker

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

the entire point of slavvy's initial premise was that when you have these incidents, not to walk away thinking "i need to buy x bike/technology/doohickey" because that doesn't fix the problem. you should be walking away with a renewed sense of "i need to work on this skill, i need to pay more attention on this route and i need to do ..." first, before any other consideration.

you're pretty dense if you think ABS is going to save you from not seeing the stopped semi 100 feet in front of you at 60 mph. the only thing ABS will do in that situation is you'll hit the back of it upright instead of sliding

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

500excf type r posted:

Isn't the c word acceptable for slavvy to say based on his geographical location because these anti word rules are absolutely stupid as hell and have carved out exceptions for that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

500excf type r posted:

No, had you read the original thread on it you’d know that

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It only matters if one of you is a salty little snitch.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

It only matters if one of you is a salty little snitch.

Oh that's my cue. MODS??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What?!?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No, had you read the original thread on it you’d know that

Lol why would I read a thread about internet baby's crying because mean words on a screen. It's not even logically consistent because I can say my KTM is the tits and anyone that disagrees is a dick. poo poo, your username is borderline at this point based on the moronic rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or, you know, you could just follow the rules, or bitch about them in an appropriate venue which sure isn’t this thread.

Take it up in QCS if it bugs you that much