Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Surprisingly enough, Ares attack is right up there with Zeus attack for fists. Somebody in the supergiant discord did the math a while back, and it turns out 100% uptime on doom makes it pretty strong. I tried it out recently and it works, even without merciful end (the athena/ares duo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have yet to get a single Demeter thing yet. Artemis also seems to be kind of poo poo compared to Zeus or Ares or Dionysus or...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are these boons rare or something?

Breaking Wave
Blown Kiss
Hunter Instinct
Rush Delivery
Glacial Glare

I've gotten the pre-req boons for each many times but haven't seen these pop. Artemis and Poseidon pretty much anything you pick leads to the boon I am missing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jokes posted:

I have yet to get a single Demeter thing yet. Artemis also seems to be kind of poo poo compared to Zeus or Ares or Dionysus or...

Artemis can get really stupid really fast stacking crit chance and bonus crit damage but individually they're not super great. It's entirely possible to get to ~40% crit chance and +240% (total) crit damage spiking up to 70% chance if they're marked and it turns out that cranking the DPS dial up by 200% after damage modifiers can get to some pretty silly numbers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Artemis's call is absurdly strong, also.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I turned on Hell mode the minute I downloaded the game and started my first run. Should I not have done that? I got to the Elysium boss twice in a row so I feel fine, but what's it like playing normal?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

jokes posted:

I turned on Hell mode the minute I downloaded the game and started my first run. Should I not have done that? I got to the Elysium boss twice in a row so I feel fine, but what's it like playing normal?

Hell mode permanently activates some of the Pact of Punishment modifiers, plus another exclusive to that mode. Simply makes the game harder. This is normally something people will see after they escape for the first time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Strobe posted:

Artemis can get really stupid really fast stacking crit chance and bonus crit damage but individually they're not super great. It's entirely possible to get to ~40% crit chance and +240% (total) crit damage spiking up to 70% chance if they're marked and it turns out that cranking the DPS dial up by 200% after damage modifiers can get to some pretty silly numbers.

Artemis mark is pretty weak. It disappears after one crit, and you can only apply it to enemies near the one you originally crit so it's totally useless against single targets (aka bosses).
Plus, the fact that the mark only applies on enemies you're not currently hitting means you won't really get more than 1 extra crit from it unless you leave stuff half-alive to go switch targets, or you have lots of AOE.

She has almost nothing that else that boosts crit chance other than one global 3-5% crit chance boon and the two duo boons with Athena and Dionysus.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Aphrodite's legendary is actually hilarious if you have any weakness spam weapons. I think I just kept everything stunlocked the one time it rocked up.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Artemis mark is pretty weak. It disappears after one crit, and you can only apply it to enemies near the one you originally crit so it's totally useless against single targets (aka bosses).
Plus, the fact that the mark only applies on enemies you're not currently hitting means you won't really get more than 1 extra crit from it unless you leave stuff half-alive to go switch targets, or you have lots of AOE.

She has almost nothing that else that boosts crit chance other than one global 3-5% crit chance boon and the two duo boons with Athena and Dionysus.
The bosses that matter have a ton of adds or two bosses; mark has a huge amount of up time and if you have a big AoE you cycle marks between the two targets

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Incoherence posted:

I get why people like Chiron for single-target DPS, but it doesn't really help you for weak enemies in the other rooms, and there are plenty of other builds with high single-target burst.
I mean you can just powershot multiple weak enemies from a safe distance? I don't think the bow is bad at weak enemy crowds at all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did a bunch of the quests and now I have like 25 Titan bloods

I feel like I should start picking and maxing an aspect on each weapon. Or maybe I can max guan yu and finally have it be slightly usable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

And I STILL don’t have Lucifer

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i was puzzled by the gun hidden aspect too but then I spent 5 blood on the gun, started a run with the Zeus keepsake, and it was revealed right away (how to get gun hidden aspect spoiler)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

jokes posted:

You need to touch the outside for grandma to show up.

Artemis has a tier two, I believe, that fires off an arrow everytime you attack/special/cast. Even with the slower weapons this is actually pretty bonkers, but with the faster ones it's jesus christ. To get it you need her cast or call, preferably call, then it'll be in rotation. Otherwise all her stuff is just a chance to do fat stacks of damage, which is good with the fists and such but...

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Welp, lost my winstreak. After I beat the game 10 times I challenged myself to continue progressing on heat using only the weapon of the day. I made it 46 successful consecutive runs.

I had an abysmal run with the secret spear on heat 10. I didn't find an attack boon after rerolling on 5 different boon lists. I made a last ditch attempt to get an Aphrodite attack boon by equipping her keepsake in Elysium, really low on time. It didn't give me a boon room until I had to fight with extreme measures 3 solo Asterius. I ended up running out of time on Theseus&Asterius with Theseus just transitioning to his Olympus phase. I probably should've kept Sisyphus' shackle equipped and that may have let me win the run.

Weapon advice:
Secret sword - sword combos can be continued through a dash. dash attack into attack is the fastest two-hit combo. the attacks are so strong i forget it even has a special

Zagreus fists - hold down the attack button for a 5 hit combo, then press dash after the combo ends. you can animation cancel the end of the 5 hit combo and start a new one seamlessly for infinite punching. Combine this with the Hermes keepsake to gain dodge bonuses that stack with your weapon upgrades. you can reach 90%+ dodge with the right boon combos and some luck. avoid revenge boons since you're dodging so much.

Zeus shield - this is secretly bonkers powerful and feels great to play with. take Zeus keepsake and get the lightning special. Practice with skelly to determine how far away you need to stand to land your shield directly on him from all 4 directions. Practice throwing your shield against a wall, and having it come to a stop after it bounces. Practice throwing your shield, pressing again to call for it's return early, then dashing around and having the shield chase behind you. With these techniques mastered and the Zeus special you will tear through the game.

You can throw your shield in a line at a group of enemies, or a group of spawning enemies, while dealing with a completely different enemy using your dash attack, attacks, blocks and bullrushes. Get explosive return hammer upgrade and you can spam your special adjacent to an enemy to deal 3 instances of damage, every half second (shield throw, special proc, shield return). it's bonkers DPS, equivalent to chiron bow. Or just stall the shield out ontop of dad while he does his laser bullshit and watch his health plummet while you block with complete impunity. Combine with Zeus call and doom attack to really crank out the damage.

Hestia gun - the sniper shot has incredible range, you can hit from one edge of the screen to the other. take advantage of the fact that it's still a gun to strip off the last tick of armor or for swarming enemies.

Chiron bow - any special except ares or dionysus will shine with it. you can use the special without a focused target for dealing with swarms of rats or skulls.

Zagreus Spear - don't use the charge attack, it's worthless thus the hammer upgrades for it are also worthless. lust for range hammer and flurry hammer. the special is cool but gimmicky, you can deal more damage just spamming attack and be about as safe.

Keepsake advice
Some weapons work better with some boons. High base damage weapons want high percentage damage increases, so use Aphrodite/Demeter with them. Low base damage weapons with fast attacks much prefer procs like Zeus. Take a keepsake that pairs well with the weapon you're using to get a favorable attack/special boon in Tartarus so you have time to upgrade the rarity and level of it throughout your run.

Equip skelly tooth before entering the Temple of Styx for the extra life. Equip the purse sometime during the run, usually in Asphodel for a quick boost of cash. Sisyphus shackle is incredible in the first level for getting through quickly and undamaged, especially with high base damage weapons.

Debuff advice
Chill is very strong on attacks or as a revenge effect. 10 stacks of chill is -40% movement and attack speed, so it's more damage reduction than weak. Even versus upgraded weak, the movement slow is phenomenal and will prevent more damage. Demeter and Aphrodite have similar amounts of flat % damage bonuses.

Doom is good for secondary sources of damage, like the attack on Chiron bow, or the attack on the Zeus shield. Tag something with doom while you have another button dealing a different source of damage. Otherwise it feels like it takes two or more boons worth of investment into doom to make it competitive.

Early heat advice
Extreme Measures and Tight Deadline were my two most used heat generators. Extreme measures doesn't get rough until 3 ticks. 1 tick of tight deadline gives you a very generous window, if you're focusing on high DPS weapons and always attacking you should be able to complete it with 10+ minutes to spare. I would only do two ticks on high dps weapons, like secret sword, chiron bow, fists, or hestia gun. You can mix and match these two heat generators to match low levels of heat requirements.

Don't combine perks that make enemies more tanky or numerous (damage instance prevention, more HP, more enemies) and Tight Deadline or you'll be in trouble.

Resource advice
Don't hoard any resources, ever. Trade ambrosia for titan blood unless you're at the end point of a relationship with an NPC. Spend your titan blood - upgrade base weapons you enjoy and buy new aspects. Some aspects are only usably good at high upgrade levels, like Hestia. Max upgrading all weapons will take more than 100 wins at heat, so if in doubt just use the aspects I listed above.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 2, 2020

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

siotle posted:

Surprisingly enough, Ares attack is right up there with Zeus attack for fists. Somebody in the supergiant discord did the math a while back, and it turns out 100% uptime on doom makes it pretty strong. I tried it out recently and it works, even without merciful end (the athena/ares duo).

Competitive doesn't cut it when Aphrodite and Demeter offer damage AND great debuffs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Aww.

https://twitter.com/Sad_e_Lonely/status/1311712728483090432

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I agree with 98% of your post. The one thing I disagree with is on the spear special hammer upgrade - I am confident that it is quite busted (especially on Zag spear). Try it again some time if you can with a +special damage.

I will also point out that you need 60 ambrosia to max out your summon items and probably about 40 more to max out all relationships so while it's plentiful you don't want to trade 100% of it away.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

I agree with 98% of your post. The one thing I disagree with is on the spear special hammer upgrade - I am confident that it is quite busted (especially on Zag spear). Try it again some time if you can with a +special damage.

I will also point out that you need 60 ambrosia to max out your summon items and probably about 40 more to max out all relationships so while it's plentiful you don't want to trade 100% of it away.

I'll try the spear special some more and see how it goes, it just never meshed with my mongo playstyle of infinite attacking. And yeah, you need a goodly amount of ambrosia to max everything out, but trading some away early for titan blood will get you winning games faster, to earn ambrosia faster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What do you think about FO2? I still have only one win on that out of about eight attempts. It seems doable but my god those flame wheels and chariots. I've lost 3/4 of a life in every room with those, so far. And Asterius & Other Guy is rough still, too - not to mention Dad.

But six heat for something I know I can get used to is a lot!!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Magitek posted:

Yeah, it's kind of disgusting. Throw in the Athena Expose debuff and a Chaos +backstab bonus and you can get crits in the 2500-3000 range

I was in 800-1200 range for most crits. The build was amazing, I actually bought a blood in Styx and killed Hades on my first run with it.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

What do you think about FO2? I still have only one win on that out of about eight attempts. It seems doable but my god those flame wheels and chariots. I've lost 3/4 of a life in every room with those, so far. And Asterius & Other Guy is rough still, too - not to mention Dad.

10 stacks of chill debuff on a boss completely offsets FO2! Just have to make it there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Try FO1 then see if the extra 3 heat is worth the pain.

FO2 is doable but I don't believe that it ever becomes as easy as normal and you will get hit more.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Frida Call Me posted:

10 stacks of chill debuff on a boss completely offsets FO2! Just have to make it there.

Chill is just so good, I started to make a point to get some every run. It trivializes all the big fights, especially dad.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I did a milk run to farm some darkness and I got an insane high roll :psyduck:

Not pictured: Poseidon attack, rupture and legendary.
The only thing missing was +weak duration, but Aphrodite never offered it.

I passed over all second hammer opportunities because anything but the bazooka would have been useless.

Ciaphas posted:

FO1 is a freebie, FO2 can be a problem, once you go up never* disengage it or you risk losing muscle memory.

*only Sith deal in absolutes Hades has no hard rules, just guidelines

E: I think a post where I describe FO2 as a milk run clearly outlines my thoughts on the matter, doesn't it?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 2, 2020

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

No Wave posted:

The gems after boss upgrade is huge. So glad they added it. It gets you an extra cerberus toy's worth of gems after every successful run.

It really is the best change in 1.0. Getting gems was so stupid in EA.

Strobe posted:

The first heat that I put on was traps and magma do more damage because avoiding traps is pretty trivial and punching things into magma makes Asphodel go faster already. It's all bonus if you don't gently caress up real bad.

I get hit by like at least 1 or 2 axes in Styx even with like 20+ clears. I refuse to turn it on.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I had a run last night where I didn't get two hammers, I think that's the first time I've seen that, it was the first time the anvil actually came in handy in Styx instead of just being something to gamble with

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It just occurred to me that the Darkness brothers mirror the Fury sisters.

Megaera/Thanatos, Charon/Tisiphone, Hypnos/Alecto.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

FO1 is a freebie, FO2 can be a problem, once you go up never* disengage it or you risk losing muscle memory.

*only Sith deal in absolutes Hades has no hard rules, just guidelines

E: I think a post where I describe FO2 as a milk run clearly outlines my thoughts on the matter, doesn't it?

got any advice for flame wheels/chariots, besides gitgud of course? didn't have a problem with them at all on FO0, just dash right on through, but I'm getting winged hard trying that at FO2

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ciaphas posted:

got any advice for flame wheels/chariots, besides gitgud of course? didn't have a problem with them at all on FO0, just dash right on through, but I'm getting winged hard trying that at FO2

Small chariots, drop everything and anything you're doing and kite them until they're gone. With some practice, you can do hit and run on other enemies while this is going on and whittling the small ones with ranged attacks and dash-strikes.
You might notice this is horrible advice if you're on a time limit.

Big chariots, they have to catch their breath after a charge. Use geometry to kite, go in immediately when they stop moving and unload. Dash through them if there's no geometry to abuse, they have a smallish but non-zero turn radius.

E: and yeah, those two enemy types are loving annoying. Practicing until :gitgud: is kinda required to get the timings down.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished my most powerful run yet. Aphrodite, Dionysus, and Demeter deserve massive credit. Especially Aphrodite, weakness is incredible. Here's a video of me obliterating Hades and not giving a gently caress about taking damage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1312026319887069186

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I know some people were comparing Hades to BoI and other rogue likes, specifically when it comes to variation, but I think one thing that I've really enjoyed about the game so far is a feeling of consistency throughout runs.

I feel like 80-90% of my BoI runs were just "well, poo poo, bad basement items, no way I'll have enough DPS to get through womb let alone anything past that" whereas the inverse is true for Hades, and that's only really when not taking smart keepsakes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I generally start with the Pom blossom if I don’t want a certain god. Your first boon going straight to level 3 or so will help you a lot throughout the run, but it means you have to pick a good one pretty much immediately

My favorite aspects

Sword: Hidden aspect, although Nemesis is a fun completely different play style I kind of like too. For this weapon they feel like completely different play styles

Bow: Chiron is absolutely busted. Easiest weapon in the game. But imo Hidden aspect is more fun and a different play style

Shield: Zeus is literally the only shield aspect I like to play. Basically requires a strong special boon early on though

Spear: Achilles with casts is loads of fun. Huge bursts

Fists: hidden aspect especially with the +50% dodge feels so so strong. Really fun play style. But that said every fist is fun and good my favorite weapon

Gun: Eris I guess but they all feel a bit samey. My favorite gun build is +300% specials which works exactly the same with every aspect anyway

All the hidden aspects play quite differently from the main weapon it feels like

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scholtz posted:

I know some people were comparing Hades to BoI and other rogue likes, specifically when it comes to variation, but I think one thing that I've really enjoyed about the game so far is a feeling of consistency throughout runs.

I feel like 80-90% of my BoI runs were just "well, poo poo, bad basement items, no way I'll have enough DPS to get through womb let alone anything past that" whereas the inverse is true for Hades, and that's only really when not taking smart keepsakes

yeah it's very rare to screw yourself over with hades powerups because of how boons snowball into each other

with isaac and gungeon the success of your run was hugely dependent on whether you got lucky in the first two floors or so

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Scholtz posted:

Early on with my time spent in BOI I'd have agreed with you, but now as I'm approaching 200 hours of BOI, the majority of runs work out just fine. Sometimes DPS is lower than I'd like but it's rarely, if ever, prohibitive. I do catch myself sometimes in the caves getting annoyed at low DPS but remember that things will probably work out in my favor, and then they almost always do.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think you can't screw yourself in Hades because the amount of damage you deal late game is pretty tightly bound. If you start with 100% damage it's common to have ~200% to ~350% damage by the end of the run. The few times you get something like 500% damage make you feel like you broke the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

yeah it's very rare to screw yourself over with hades powerups because of how boons snowball into each other

with isaac and gungeon the success of your run was hugely dependent on whether you got lucky in the first two floors or so

odds're lower in Hades for sure. but I've definitely had runs that made me wish for a "seriously, suicide this run and give me a new one, why is "Give Up" a reset" button by the time I reach Asphodel

maybe it's not in the game design ethos to allow that, or something, but it makes me cross

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

If you could use the reroll mirror perk on hammer boons then you could avoid annoying runs, but that would mean I'd spend all of them getting the same two hammer upgrades for most weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I generally start with the Pom blossom if I don’t want a certain god. Your first boon going straight to level 3 or so will help you a lot throughout the run, but it means you have to pick a good one pretty much immediately

If I were to use god keepsakes from the start I feel like I'm gonna force the same gods over and over (Zeus attack on guns, Aphrodite/Demeter + Privileged on bows, etc) so I just always start with the Pom now and see where the run takes me. It generally works out fine. I do still force gods from time to time going into Asphodel/Elysium though