Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sanford posted:

Canrath if you do advent calendar fudge with a different little fudgy surprise behind each door I would gnaw my own arm off to get one for my mum.

I will see what I can do, but can't make any promises (the fudge isn't a problem; sourcing the calendars might be!)

So glad orders are making it in and people are happy. :)

Edit: okay, looks like I can potentially source the empty calendars. Watch this space, I guess!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DixonBoxing/status/1311964241256214530?s=20

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Guavanaut posted:

Late Victorian Holocausts - about Late Victorian Holocausts

Just for clarity, this focuses on the death of millions by famine due to the UK (and others) response to el-nino caused droughts.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Random book chat: I've been reading a lot of non-fiction in the category "specific aspects of why the world is terrible", including the Secret Barrister's latest, this one by another QC who favours prison abolition, and Laura Bates (of Everyday Sexism) on men who hate women. I'll add those Empire ones to the list too, but it's all a bit heavy and depressing at the moment.

I'm now taking a break with Jasper Fforde's new book, a rabbit-based allegory of modern Britain. Fforde tightrope-walks the line between clever satire and in-your-face "get it? get it??" symbolism, but his prose is as buttery smooth as Pratchett's and his story lines are compelling. Would recommend so far.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

Edit: okay, looks like I can potentially source the empty calendars. Watch this space, I guess!

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

He's still a Tory wanker who is so blinkered he managed to act on 5 seasons of The Wire and still stay Tory and a friend of David Cameron.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Are red wall MPs making GBS threads themselves now that brexit and Corbyn are no longer issues they can beat over constituents heads?

A bit, but probably not as much as you'd think, and probably less so than Tories with similar majorities in non-"Red Wall" seats. "Corbyn" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here, since his unfavourability by the end cut deep, but in terms of a new leader electoral effect it'll be interesting to see if it's more pronouced in these seats than others. I'm sceptical, personally.

The long-term demographic shifts (and more than anything the aging population in these constituencies) would tend to favour the Tories even aside from Brexit/Corbyn, which is probably why we're seeing a whole bunch of culture war bollocks, since that seems to be the best way to get the grey vote. I suspect it will be the Tories in commuter belts wondering about their proportion of voters under 50 that are more nervous.

By the by the red wall is basically a journalistic convention that doesn't seem to have much explanatory or analytical value beyond "long term Labour seats that went Tory" as far as I can tell, so I'm pretty wary of using it (and fed up of journos and MPs and commentators being extremely lazy and using it instead of actually saying anything), even if it feels like a good reading of the election. "Labour lost their red wall and Tories overran the country" is a neat narrative and clear visual image, even if it doesn't make a huge amount of sense besides losing seats = losing elections. Though if someone wants to argue the case for it I'm open to be convinced it's a decent label!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I can't think of good general ones, but specific crimes:
Britain's Gulag - about the atrocities during Kenyan independence
White Fury - about the slow collapse of Caribbean slavery
Indian Summer - about Indian independence and the collapse of Empire
Blood & Sand - about Suez and the end of Britain as a global power
Late Victorian Holocausts - about Late Victorian Holocausts

e: Also any of Cecil Rhodes' personal letters because he does all the heavy lifting himself lol

Borrovan posted:

I've still got this tab open from the last time someone asked, haven't got round to buying it yet but it sounds pretty good

Awesome thanks!

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Lungboy posted:

Corbyn is going to be a useful scare tactic for decades to come.

He’s still living rent free in bojo’s head if PMQs is anything to go by.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ObamaAkbar. posted:

He’s still living rent free in bojo’s head if PMQs is anything to go by.

yes but also lots of red faced home counties voters

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soooo, just found out my landlord is trying to sell the house I live in, lads. He arranged a 'viewing' yesterday but was cagy when my wife asked him what sort of viewing. Well, when they came round one of them let slip they were his agent from Foxton's, so, I did a bit of sleuthing, and behold I found the ad online.

Now, I live in the ground floor of this place - https://www.foxtons.co.uk/properties-for-sale/ig11/chpk2939519 (the upper two floors have all the doors locked, everything shut off, so no, I'm not enjoying a giant three floor mansion like I'm Hugh Hefner or anything). The landlord has tried and failed twice to get the council to give him planning permission to have it as a HMO with rooms for a bunch of single people, which was his original plan; he's made a third application, pending as of last month. How up front he's been with potential buyers about that I don't know, but planning applications are publicly available online so if I thought to check I assume they do too. Not that the landlord has said word one to me about any of this, of course, I had to have the sense to look it up online.

My tenancy comes to an end in January or so. How does this work with giving notice of tenancy etc? I know that there's something due to Corona where right now landlords have to give six months' notice. Does that happen with a tenancy coming to it's scheduled end too, i.e. he'd have to give me notice right now if he wanted me out before April?

So tired of moving house. I've had to do it each and every year to 18 months since moving back to the UK 8 years ago and about half the time it's been because of the landlord selling the place out from under me.

zbn
May 11, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Soooo, just found out my landlord is trying to sell the house I live in, lads. He arranged a 'viewing' yesterday but was cagy when my wife asked him what sort of viewing. Well, when they came round one of them let slip they were his agent from Foxton's, so, I did a bit of sleuthing, and behold I found the ad online.

Now, I live in the ground floor of this place - https://www.foxtons.co.uk/properties-for-sale/ig11/chpk2939519 (the upper two floors have all the doors locked, everything shut off, so no, I'm not enjoying a giant three floor mansion like I'm Hugh Hefner or anything). The landlord has tried and failed twice to get the council to give him planning permission to have it as a HMO with rooms for a bunch of single people, which was his original plan; he's made a third application, pending as of last month. How up front he's been with potential buyers about that I don't know, but planning applications are publicly available online so if I thought to check I assume they do too. Not that the landlord has said word one to me about any of this, of course, I had to have the sense to look it up online.

My tenancy comes to an end in January or so. How does this work with giving notice of tenancy etc? I know that there's something due to Corona where right now landlords have to give six months' notice. Does that happen with a tenancy coming to it's scheduled end too, i.e. he'd have to give me notice right now if he wanted me out before April?

So tired of moving house. I've had to do it each and every year to 18 months since moving back to the UK 8 years ago and about half the time it's been because of the landlord selling the place out from under me.

My understanding is that to force a tenant to leave (assuming there are no grounds for eviction like non-payment of rent or antisocial behaviour), a landlord must serve them with a section 21 notice: http://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction/section_21_eviction_process

Currently the minimum notice period is 6 months, so I think they could serve notice on you now and you'd have to leave in April. Your tenancy (presumably an ASTA) coming to its scheduled end shouldn't make any difference to this, as long as you're staying in the property and paying rent then you're still a tenant and they have to go through the section 21 process. If they waited until the end of the tenancy to serve notice then you'd get another 6 months beyond that date, assuming the 6 month period is still in force by that time - it's usually 2 months.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
My initial thought is that he's selling to another investor who will give no fucks about the hmo thing and will rent it anyway. I forsee there being a lot of new people living with you soon.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Selling the house doesn't change your rental contract or remove the 6 month notice requirement for your new landlord, so you won't have to move till August at the earliest anyways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Whoever it was who was talking about the meat bread should try this.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Sloth Life posted:

My initial thought is that he's selling to another investor who will give no fucks about the hmo thing and will rent it anyway. I forsee there being a lot of new people living with you soon.

I wonder if a landlord got someone into a unit illegally by accident on purpose, would they then have to wait 6 months to evict them as well...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Puntification posted:

Are there any interesting books on the British Empire and specifically its crimes? Like a killing hope for the UK, type of thing.

Late Victorian Holocausts is what you're after. You will never read a UK newspaper the same since theyr all in it and demanding the blood gates remain open in a very familiar way.

Also From the Ruins of Empire is good, its about how hosed the East got and how it began to internalise the racial inferiority rhetoric but then overcame that and threw off the colonisers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sloth Life posted:

I suppose it depends on the contract but, having looked at the floorplan I am confused how renting out the other rooms would work whilst you're already in the ground floor?

I guess I'm replying to the wrong person really but whatever.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

feedmegin posted:

As said, the owner selling the house has no impact on your tenancy. Check your paperwork for details relating to viewings, you might not need to allow them, particularly during Covid, or you might be able to negotiate a rent reduction to allow them. I've only ever heard bad things about Foxtons so make sure they do everything correctly relating to your tenancy (assuming they are also the letting agent as well as the estate agent) as once your tenancy ends in January it will roll over onto a periodic tenancy. Don't let them talk you into signing a new tenancy, or paying them any fees, unless you want to of course.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So uhhh I'm suddenly trying to explain to my wife the origin of "beans up the backside", does anyone have a handy link to the relevant image?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

Late Victorian Holocausts is what you're after. You will never read a UK newspaper the same since theyr all in it and demanding the blood gates remain open in a very familiar way.

Also From the Ruins of Empire is good, its about how hosed the East got and how it began to internalise the racial inferiority rhetoric but then overcame that and threw off the colonisers.

Cool thanks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Maugrim posted:

So uhhh I'm suddenly trying to explain to my wife the origin of "beans up the backside", does anyone have a handy link to the relevant image?
https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/04/03/sunday-sports-take-brexit-gone-viral-filthy-ridiculous/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Hello also whoever it was got to read me googling "daily express beans up backside" and sorry that I forgot it was the sunday sport.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Communist Thoughts posted:

in mildly amusing trivia: Pankaj Mishra (From the Ruins of Empire) is David Cameron's cousin-in-law

a point of caution when reading theoretically anti-imperialist material today - a great amount of the writing coming out of China and India (especially India) is emerging from the nationalist right-wing. Mishra predates that trend however.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

OwlFancier posted:

Hello also whoever it was got to read me googling "daily express beans up backside" and sorry that I forgot it was the sunday sport.

I was googling that EXACT term too, no wonder it didn't work. Thanks you both!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sloth Life posted:

Oh, I'll definitely be moving out before allowing that to happen. Council's already on to this one though, so I assume I could have a little word in their ear if they tried that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lungboy posted:

As said, the owner selling the house has no impact on your tenancy. Check your paperwork for details relating to viewings, you might not need to allow them, particularly during Covid, or you might be able to negotiate a rent reduction to allow them. I've only ever heard bad things about Foxtons so make sure they do everything correctly relating to your tenancy (assuming they are also the letting agent as well as the estate agent) as once your tenancy ends in January it will roll over onto a periodic tenancy. Don't let them talk you into signing a new tenancy, or paying them any fees, unless you want to of course.

Nope, completely different people as the letting agent (Dimension Estates).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ronya posted:

in mildly amusing trivia: Pankaj Mishra (From the Ruins of Empire) is David Cameron's cousin-in-law

a point of caution when reading theoretically anti-imperialist material today - a great amount of the writing coming out of China and India (especially India) is emerging from the nationalist right-wing. Mishra predates that trend however.

Inglorious Empire is interesting for that, though its a more centrist generic state nationalism.
The authour is an indian MP and I think its an interesting book since its more restrained and pretty much talking about how the indian middle and upper-middle class suffered
The indian establishment has this odd affair with the UK where the UK massacred and starved them and left them with a version of our own corrupt parliamentary system but the establishment obviously draws its authority from these exact systems so can't say the systems they left were shite.

its a good peice of the picture but almost funny some parts of the book were basically talking about colonial racism preventing rich indians from accessing the nepotism they expected.

i think about this interview a fair amount though, where jon snow is interviewing shashi tharoor the author and this is AS sympathetic a guy you could get talking about the empire but Jon seems legit terrified the whole time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbLpsxocV0
shashi is saying in his plummy oxbridge accent "oh no you don't need to feel bad and you dont even need to take down the statues i just want both indians and brits to know what happened," but jon's body language and questions make it seem like the book is a photo album of flayed women

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol imagine if Trump died of Rona. The conspiracy theories alone would be amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

daily express beans

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/healthdpt/status/1312015021120028673

Double the highest figure for Northern Ireland so far, with Belfast, Derry and Down reporting around 200 new cases in 24 hrs.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

feedmegin posted:

I feel like there was another poster ITT with pretty much the same problem.

Have a mate view the property and see what they're saying? The ol' double (estate) agent trick, a classic. Unless they submit the proper form to you in terms of notice (which is currently 6 months) you don't need to worry too much or tell them how to evict you properly. Go over your contract again, but the rolling period usually means you have the same rights as before, it just means you can give a months notice and move out without breaking the contract/finding a new tenant.

Good luck :)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Those NCL vessels have some funky liveries. Not the worst on a cruise ship, but very close

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol imagine if Trump died of Rona. The conspiracy theories alone would be amazing.

QAnon are already pretty happy to jump from theory to practice with Republican encouragement. CDC gonna get truck-bombed.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This will get him dragged

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1311706891349905410

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Loses points for asking to be "radically moderate" on the issue

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_centrism is the new punk.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I've never heard of this "punk" but given everything that it gets described as cthr new punk" I imagine it means blandly rude.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

https://twitter.com/healthdpt/status/1312015021120028673

Double the highest figure for Northern Ireland so far, with Belfast, Derry and Down reporting around 200 new cases in 24 hrs.

Considering how NI had 450ish cases on Wednesday them doubling almost overnight is alarming. We could be looking at a situation where Northern Ireland has more new cases than the entire Republic of Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Republics do seem to be dealing with this better than monarchies in general.

*looks at USA*

*looks at Trump*

Republics do seem to be dealing with this better than monarchies in general.