Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don’t think the pads are the problem (they seem to conduct) but it’s possible. The rubber has to put a lot of pressure on to activate. I’ll probably try cleaning again and then maybe try to shim the board closer to the membrane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I have kind of a weird question. I'm building a floppy disk imaging box, and I'm getting both a KryoFlux and a Supercard Pro for it. The KryoFlux because it's got a bigger community, actually has a Linux client (though I wish they'd fix their Mac client), and has a lot more out-of-the-box tools for working with the flux reads, and the Supercard Pro for making duplicates of some aging disks without modifying them (the KryoFlux writes its own duplicator signature track when it writes out a floppy image), and for an alternative tool, to try if the KryoFlux has issues.

However, I'll have to move the floppy cable between them to switch back and forth. That got me wondering . . . has anybody ever made a device to switch what controller a floppy cable is hooked up to? From a quick Google search, I'm not seeing much, but it'd be really nice to be able to push a button or flip a switch or something to swap all the pins between one of the controllers and the other.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I assume that all you'd really have to do is swap the drive select lines on the two floppy drives, and run a ribbon cable to both drives.

This board is a seriously overbuilt thing, but all you really need is an SPST switch that "untwists" the cable in one orientation: https://knm.org.uk/blog/2019/02/floppy-disk-drive-id-switcher/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 22, 2020

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure I'm entirely getting how the drive select lines work. I've got (effectively) two floppy controllers, and I'm hoping to hook both floppy drives up to both of them to be able to be accessed simultaneously by whichever controller is currently active. Untwisting the cable would just affect which drive is selected as the primary, wouldn't it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

LGR released a really good video showing casing a bunch of TSR-80 ("CoCo") stuff. History, different models, accessories, important games, all in 18 minutes. Recommended, especially if (like me) you don't know much about the system.

https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=I3lhtcGzhkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3lhtcGzhkc

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Kreeblah posted:

So, I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure I'm entirely getting how the drive select lines work. I've got (effectively) two floppy controllers, and I'm hoping to hook both floppy drives up to both of them to be able to be accessed simultaneously by whichever controller is currently active. Untwisting the cable would just affect which drive is selected as the primary, wouldn't it?

Oh sorry. I totally misunderstood your initial question. Yeah, if you wanted to switch two drives on one controller that's what you'd do with an SPST.

To switch one drive on two controllers... it might work if you wire up both controllers to the same cable and only have one active at a time, but I feel like that's risky since you would potentially be trying to power the turned-off controller through its I/O pins. I know I've seen bus switch chips (like this one which is only good for 8 inputs/outputs so you'd need 3 for each controller; assuming 17 data pins and the rest are ground, although it looks like Nexperia sells a "10-bit" bus switch that would reduce your number of chips to 2-each and TI has a "20-bit" one from the 90s that is slowly being phased out but still available) that could maybe be put onto a custom PCB to switch all the lines, but I bet there's a cheaper way to do this that someone who actually knows electronics well would know. It seems like overkill since you won't be switching live or need fast changeover.

Maybe you could co-opt one of those 25-pin printer switchers... they're just big mechanical rotary switches that physically disconnect one side. That way you don't have to make a PCB or worry about powering the bus switch chips.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 24, 2020

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Just use four floppy drives.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh sorry. I totally misunderstood your initial question. Yeah, if you wanted to switch two drives on one controller that's what you'd do with an SPST.

To switch one drive on two controllers... it might work if you wire up both controllers to the same cable and only have one active at a time, but I feel like that's risky since you would potentially be trying to power the turned-off controller through its I/O pins. I know I've seen bus switch chips (like this one which is only good for 8 inputs/outputs so you'd need 3 for each controller; assuming 17 data pins and the rest are ground, although it looks like Nexperia sells a "10-bit" bus switch that would reduce your number of chips to 2-each and TI has a "20-bit" one from the 90s that is slowly being phased out but still available) that could maybe be put onto a custom PCB to switch all the lines, but I bet there's a cheaper way to do this that someone who actually knows electronics well would know. It seems like overkill since you won't be switching live or need fast changeover.

Maybe you could co-opt one of those 25-pin printer switchers... they're just big mechanical rotary switches that physically disconnect one side. That way you don't have to make a PCB or worry about powering the bus switch chips.

Yeah, I thought about wiring up both controllers, but I don't really want to take the risk. A bus switch chip might be something to look into. I'm already deep in the weeds on making a custom PCB anyway (an adaptor to use a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro on a modern computer via USB), so I could probably manage the actual layout if I can figure out a schematic.

Or, if that doesn't pan out, a printer switch might work. I didn't know those were a thing. I'd have to think about how best to expose the switching mechanism outside the case.

Thanks!

Sweevo posted:

Just use four floppy drives.

The case I have on hand only has room for two drives, unfortunately. I'm doing something pretty similar to this, so if I do four drives, I'll need to get a different case.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been trying to learn some CAD and 3D printer stuff since the pandemic started, and I had no choice but to make my first project some kind of retro computer nonsense.

I posted build details over on r/RetroBattleStations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Woah, killer job

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fleedar posted:

I’ve been trying to learn some CAD and 3D printer stuff since the pandemic started, and I had no choice but to make my first project some kind of retro computer nonsense.

Whoa that looks awesome

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Holy :aaaaa:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's incredible.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I bid six hundred Quatloos for this device

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tidy copy of Monkey Island there. I have an Atari ST copy of it, but the side that usually shows on a book shelf has been sun damaged

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Fleedar posted:

:five:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, that's 3d printed!? That's amazing! I didn't know this level of detail/quality was possible for regular consumer hardware.

Fleedar posted:

I've been trying to learn some CAD and 3D printer stuff since the pandemic started, and I had no choice but to make my first project some kind of retro computer nonsense.

Are you open to commissions or whatever? I totally need to find someone out there willing to do a Gizmondo shell. I know there's like three people in the world who own this weird handheld system, but all of them have the same issue I got: the plastic of its case is melting (yes, melting) and needs to be replaced.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fleedar posted:

Ummm YES. Having built a few SBC in retro related cases, this is right up my alley.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, that's 3d printed!? That's amazing! I didn't know this level of detail/quality was possible for regular consumer hardware.

And a <$300 printer at that! Although I also spent a lot of time sanding and painting each part to reduce the 3D printed look, the unfinished parts honestly didn’t look terrible considering what they came out of.

I still feel like I have no idea what I’m doing so I wouldn’t know where to begin with a Gizmondo shell, sorry. The IBM made for a good first project given its relatively simple shapes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Thanks for posting that! What a crazy world, that we can just fabricate these things now.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Fleedar posted:

:trumppop:

This is the true art.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Fleedar posted:

posted build details over on r/RetroBattleStations.
This is absolutely wonderful and if you all haven't clicked through to the reddit post yet you need to see this:

If you were to make the stls available, even at a small cost, I imagine you'd have a lot of takers!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nice

right now u hear the golden *dink* in ur mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_qO4qRgV6U

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Well, I just bought an old TI-99 with no power supply. I'll post some pictures when I get it in the mail.

I guess that figuring out how to get it running will keep me occupied throughtout the winter.

I have a great deal of nostalgia for the TI-99 as we had one at home for a while when I was a kid. I especially enjoyed the system's version of space invaders, TI-invaders. And now you can also get Dragon's Lair for it! :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3oHdSjfCE&t=319s

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

All right, I got my slightly beat up TI-99/4A in the mail yesterday. I bought it on the cheap, so no power supply unit and no frequency modulator for the video. This means that right now nothing goes in and nothing comes out. First step will be to build a PSU so that I can power up and see if it works at all.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Tac Dibar posted:

All right, I got my slightly beat up TI-99/4A in the mail yesterday. I bought it on the cheap, so no power supply unit and no frequency modulator for the video. This means that right now nothing goes in and nothing comes out. First step will be to build a PSU so that I can power up and see if it works at all.

Showing my ignorance, but I have to ask what the rectangular space to the right of the keys is for...
cup holder?
Ashtray?
Place to set down your “Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy”?

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Possibly all and any of the above in the early 80s, but mostly it’s for cartridges. Most of the programs and games for the TI-99 were on cartridge. I already ordered a copy of TI-invaders so I have something to play in case I actually get it to work.

The cartridge slides into a slot located at the front of the ashtray area.

Tac Dibar fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 20, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mode 7 posted:

Three days to go on the Kickstarter second run of the ZX Spectrum Next (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spectrumnext/zx-spectrum-next-issue-2)

What are people's thoughts on it?

I keep wavering back and forth on taking the plunge on it. I was slightly too young for the original wave of microcomputers and my computing journey started in the early 90s on a Windows 3.1 PC - a few family friends had Commodore 64s and I think one of my uncles had an Amiga at some point, but I've never seen a ZX Spectrum outside of a retro hardware market and so don't have any nostalgia for it.

That era though of the one-man bedroom game maker always sort of fascinated me reading about it as I grew up and hell, even today, and the thought of getting a modern version of that microcomputer experience and just losing myself in tinkering around with it is pretty appealing. Being able to throw an MSX core on there and emulate some MSX stuff doesn't hurt either even though I've got a MiSTer already and could just do it on that.

At the price they're asking (and it seems justified enough to me for the product you're getting) though... seems like it could just as easily be an expensive paperweight that I don't do anything with that goes into my chest of untouched random hardware.
I got a Next in the first Kickstarter run. It's a nice machine, and I'd like to do more with it (I started a Next conversion of a well-received text adventure I wrote), but for various reasons it stopped being fun to work on. Lack of time was one, but going back to the Spectrum's program editing environment, even with the Next's improvements, was painful. The alternative is using a text editor on a modern machine and copying files back and forth onto the SD card to use the text-to-program and program-to-text converters, but again that becomes tedious very quickly. It's also such a tiny subset of the Spectrum's retro userbase that even if I ever finish it, who's going to play it? I've written a bunch of regular Spectrum games in AGD and The Quill, and even they got a decent response, whereas on the Next I might get, what? A dozen or so people trying it.

It's a shame, because like I said the machine itself is a very cool piece of work - it's like something from an alternate timeline where Britain resisted first the ST/Amiga, then DOS. (Or Clive Sinclair accepted that his money was going to come from machines used to play games rather than obsessing over making a "proper grown-up computer" like the crippled and doomed QL.) But if I want to play old ZX games I've got multiple emulators on my laptop, and the Next-exclusive games so far feel like homebrew Amiga demos, nothing I'd play for more than half an hour.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

It's also such a tiny subset of the Spectrum's retro userbase that even if I ever finish it, who's going to play it? I've written a bunch of regular Spectrum games in AGD and The Quill, and even they got a decent response, whereas on the Next I might get, what? A dozen or so people trying it.

on the other hand, if there's more neat software for the thing, more people might give it a look. :shrug: Field of Dreams that poo poo, you know?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Kickstarter for the ZZAP!64 Annual 2021 has just launched. Sadly editor Roger Kean has been diagnosed with motor neurone disease and so this will be the last time he will be involved. Hopefully it will be very successful.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks for the heads up! I will be receiving my first own c64 in some days, so I will definitely support this.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Well that was quick - they reached the kickstarter goal already after a few hours.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Well, I’m starting to work on my TI-99/4a which came without any external power supply. The TI has both an inner and external PSU. The external one transforms wall socket AC into 16 and 8 V AC, whereas the inner one transforms that into 5V, 12V and -5V DC. So what I’m doing is replacing all of this with one single PSU unit that outputs the three required DC voltages directly.

On the left, my new unit that does what both the external and old internal unit (on the right) did together.

As you can see, the new unit seems to fit quite comfortably where the old PSU used to be on the left.

Tac Dibar fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 4, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice setup. Are you still going to retain the original weird power jack or use a barrel?

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

No, I’ll be replacing it with an ordinary AC jack. Some purist might be against it, but the TI-99 isn’t exactly a rare computer and I just want to see if I can get it working again.

But yeah, it’s a weird machine in many ways. Basically it’s a 16 bit computer from 1979, but due to a set of constraints it’s an 8 bit in practice. I think it has a cool design with the metal top.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

As part of my TI-99 project I'm following Noel's Retro Lab, where he's rescuing another old TI-99. In his last video he went through a quite intimidating process just to transform the computer's component video output into RGB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9odN2m5Vw

I really hope that I don't have to do that. Based on the number of pins in my output, it seems I have the US version (Din-5) instead of the Euro version (Din-6). According to the pinout below, it seems that I get direct composite video output, which would be awesome. But I'm not sure yet, we'll see.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It will come down to what variant of the TMS99xx video chip you have. In an NTSC region, 9928 has YCbCr RGB, and 9918 has just composite out. Europeans have just the 9929 I think, which is PAL + YCbCr RGB.

It appears the 99/4A in North America has a 9918 (same chip I used on my ColecoVision clone) so you should be fine.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 6, 2020

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Weird how the video cable has a 12V rail on it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Weird how the video cable has a 12V rail on it

My PC-8801mkII did the same thing. In the TI99's case, I suspect it's either for SCART signalling (you have to make some pins very hot for old SCART TVs to recognize them as a valid input) or for a lightpen or something. It is also vaguely convenient for my active PC-6001mkII video adapter as that needed a 5V source for its 74 chips, but I was a little nervous about pulling too much current through that port as there's no documentation of how much you can safely source.

Probably it's better to have it and not need it, though if I had designed a computer that uses a DIN video output, I definitely would put +12V on a centre pin or something so as to avoid someone getting confused which end of the pinout the picture refers to and hooking +12V into the composite in.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I had some time to work on the AC jack for my TI-99 today. By cutting down the plastic on the jack a bit i got it to fit quite snugly in the slot where the old jack used to be.