Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Surely Crooked Hillary will be caught this time!

(no she won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Already bracing myself for the “Fwd:Fwd: I was totally a lifelong Democrat voter and was going to vote for Biden but then I saw how mean “the left” was about this so now I’m totally voting for Trump I assure you I am a real person” posts.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The sad part is that he'll probably be just fine because he has great healthcare.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

How will they spin this?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1311892190680014849?s=20

I guess more of those 'pray for your president' things.

I think he just wants to avoid another debate.

Or make it look like he had sex with Hope Hicks.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
He'll probably say it was because he started wearing a mask.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I cannot possibly refute this!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A student showed me the middle one and thought it was accurate. Anyone who tries to hold Trump accountable (to even the smallest degree) is an enemy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Democrats don't support the troops, they kneel for the anthem.

Also, I photoshopped my political enemies onto the faces of marines in order to make a joke.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

The main takeaway here being that Trump is so loving stupid you have to read literal childrens books to know what's coming before you debate him.

A good meme.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Democrats don't support the troops, they kneel for the anthem.

If democrats were half the badasses the GOP claimed they were they might be worth voting for.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS SAID THAT HIS PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST IS WHAT MADE HIM SET SAIL 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻
Almost every school child knows that “In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue,” but what they don’t know, is how Columbus’s personal relationship with Jesus Christ affected his desire to travel to the ends of the earth.
Columbus wrote, “It was the Lord who put into my mind (I could feel his hand upon me) that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me. There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because He comforted me with rays of marvelous inspiration from the Holy Scriptures.”
Columbus quoted Isaiah 59:18-19, “He will repay the islands their due. From the west, men will fear the name of the LORD, and from the rising of the sun, they will revere his glory.” He also quoted Jesus’ words in Matthew 24:14, “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” He felt like the Holy Spirit was leading him to travel to the ends of the earth as a front-runner of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the uttermost islands of the earth.
Let’s celebrate Christopher Columbus today, a man who took Jesus’ call seriously to “go and make disciples of all nations.” (Matt. 28:19) It’s men like this who helped pave the way for the west to come to know Jesus!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

And pave the way for Jesus, he did.

“Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

And pave the way for Jesus, he did.

“Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”

I’m a jew, but that line in context with the rest of its chapter seems like Jesus is saying “people, even your family, will turn against you.” The swords are being wielded people who will persecute christians and he wants christians to remain strong and faithful in the face of adversity.

Kinda the opposite of what Columbus and friends did.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I understand that. But that line has been used regularly by people wanting to declare war on others (Christian terrorists, Crusaders, etc).

It seems to be the go to line by people who want to use their faith as reasoning to attack others.

I guess I should have put Jesus in quotation marks because his context does not matter to those like Columbus.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
They aren't Christian, is the answer. They use religion to manipulate the weak and easily controlled. Nobody that is actually pro-life supports putting humans in cages or executing a person. They're all hypocrites and if their book is right, they're all going to Hell.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

They aren't Christian, is the answer. They use religion to manipulate the weak and easily controlled. Nobody that is actually pro-life supports putting humans in cages or executing a person. They're all hypocrites and if their book is right, they're all going to Hell.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT MY BELIEF IN GOD ALONE ISN'T ENOUGH FOR ACCESS TO THE VIP SECTION OF HEAVEN?!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Forceholy posted:

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT MY BELIEF IN GOD ALONE ISN'T ENOUGH FOR ACCESS TO THE VIP SECTION OF HEAVEN?!"

I demand to speak to White Jesus about this travesty!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

My boss just loudly and stridently insisted that Trump never wanted to be President, but "a hundred generals begged him to do it for America".

I'm not sure if that belongs here, but I also don't know what to do with it otherwise. I laughed out loud and he got pissy and went in his office and is now loudly watching Trump rallies on his phone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do other conspiracy theories keep regular opening hours?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Do other conspiracy theories keep regular opening hours?

At 5:00 PM they back to believing the Earth is round.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's probably true for some of the grifters.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Christians should have to own the shitheads in their midst, just like everyone else. I don't buy this "no true Scotsman" stuff and neither should you.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

They believe they are Christian because they are told, again and again and again, that they are Saved, and anyone who is not them needs saving.

And people are born and raised in this mindset. They are told how to interpret the Word of God, that the way they are taught is the only way to get into Heaven, and that by being faithful (and donating) they can also be rich and successful and prosperous. From their youth and throughout their formative years, constantly.

You can say they 'aren't Christian' all day, but they are the loudest, largest and most influential Christians around. They define the movement and the public view of it, and they got there through centuries of stepping on people for their own benefit. The moneychangers bought the temple and kicked God out a long time ago.

That's not a problem of faith, it's a problem of organization and political manipulation.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Devorum posted:

My boss just loudly and stridently insisted that Trump never wanted to be President, but "a hundred generals begged him to do it for America".

I'm not sure if that belongs here, but I also don't know what to do with it otherwise. I laughed out loud and he got pissy and went in his office and is now loudly watching Trump rallies on his phone.

It's still amazing to me that Donald loving Trump, best known to me throughout my childhood as a failed businessman supermarket tabloid cheated-on-his-wife-and-bankrupted-another-company-again cover boy turned conman turned campy reality TV gameshow host has this kind of mythos surrounding him. Sorry to hear your boss is a straight up cultist.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Still not convinced trump even wanted the job or if he just wanted to funnel campaign donations into self owned contractors.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Proust Malone posted:

Still not convinced trump even wanted the job or if he just wanted to funnel campaign donations into self owned contractors.

We're gonna make a few bucks, have a few drinks, then go back to the usual. No way the American people are stupid enough to elect me.

[CUT TO TITLE CARD] Donny goes to DC

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

We're gonna make a few bucks, have a few drinks, then go back to the usual. No way the American people are stupid enough to elect me.

[CUT TO TITLE CARD] Donny goes to DC

I can actually believe that was his mindset when he ran.

I feel like I dodged a bullet with my dad. He's always been a republican, but he also worked in the construction industry and being in Philly, he saw Trump put a lot of people that we worked with out of business (Philly and AC are only 60 miles away from each other, so there's a lot of crossover work). He's hated him since the 80's and I think it's helped him stay away from the brain poison a lot of boomers seem to have. He really does not like what the republican party looks like right now, and is actively critical of them. I don't think he'd switch parties ever, but I think he's voting for Biden this year. He'll probably go R for the local races, but I'll take what I can get.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 14, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I don't disagree that Trump never actually wanted the job. He wanted the power and prestige, but as evidenced by his actions, he never wanted the /job/

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Yeah I don't disagree that Trump never actually wanted the job. He wanted the power and prestige, but as evidenced by his actions, he never wanted the /job/

Didn’t he do a soft launch of trumptv on election night 2016? Seems clear he expected to lose and launch a tv brand

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

jivjov posted:

His recruitment pitch to at least one VP candidate was essentially "You'll handle all that boring policy stuff, while I'll focus on making America great!"

Edit for link:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-donald-trump-offered-john-kasich-chance-to-be-the-most-powerful-vp-in-history/

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Proust Malone posted:

Trump is actually so incompetent at everything he does that he tried to run a scam campaign and accidentally ended up president.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Devorum posted:

To be fair, he didn’t specify American generals...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I got this weirdly targeted sponsored ad on facebook, and some of the tags (and the sheer volume of them) are setting off my crazy alarm.

Apparently the guy was a US Representative, but I can't find out much about him, and people with strong opinions about both Irish and South African history tend to be either ardent anti-imperialists or "the Irish were slaves too, blacks were better educated under apartheid" wingnuts.

Anyone know if this is just crazy advertising or the bad crazy?

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently the guy was a US Representative, but I can't find out much about him, and people with strong opinions about both Irish and South African history tend to be either ardent anti-imperialists or "the Irish were slaves too, blacks were better educated under apartheid" wingnuts.
Or just anti-British, without the anti-imperial sentiment; there's a reason the two biggest hits in Germany in the early 40s were Mein Leben fur Irland and Ohm Kruger.

As for the book, the GoodReads reviews don't appear to be particularly skeezy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fair, but I'd put early 40s Germany heavily on the 'racist crank' side of the spectrum.

There's a reassuring absence of whiteman88 and pepes in reviews of it, and one of the few things that I can find out about him is that he wears a mask, and I hate that that's now a sign of not being a racist great replacement white supremacist, but it is. So I think you're right and it's just historical fiction and the promoters just really like hashtags.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Devorum posted:

ah there even 100 living generals ?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They were all dead ones, mostly the racists.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

PhazonLink posted:

ah there even 100 living generals ?

Way more, even if we're only counting those currently on active duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
US code apparently says the following

quote:

The number of general officers on active duty in the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps, and the number of flag officers on active duty in the Navy, may not exceed the number specified for the armed force concerned as follows:
(1)For the Army, 231.
(2)For the Navy, 162.
(3)For the Air Force, 198.
(4)For the Marine Corps, 62.

Unless the Secretary of Defense determines that a lower number is in the best interest of the Department, the minimum number of officers serving in positions designated under paragraph (1) for each armed force shall be as follows:
(A)For the Army, 85.
(B)For the Navy, 61.
(C)For the Air Force, 73.
(D)For the Marine Corps, 21.

most of those are like 1 or 2 star generals hence why theres so many.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/526