Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost

Nystral posted:

Did Desert Storm change how GWOT went? Are we close to seeing a majority of the officers across the DOD having served the bulk of their careers in the midst of GWOT?

Oh poo poo, I actually used to teach a class that answers this question.

Yes and no, in extreme measures. It changed doctrine by proving air strikes were ridiculously effective at defeating an enemy’s infrastructure and equipment. You still need troops on the ground to hold territory though, and counter insurgency operations are generally close in fighting where air power isn’t as effective. It also put war on TV in living rooms in near real-time, which I think is actually the biggest change that doesn’t get talked about enough, even in the war colleges.

Read Every Man a Tiger by General Chuck Horner and Tom Clancy if you’re interested in how doctrine changed.

destitute fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My father was convinced for years that I was destined to commission for the Navy. First non-Air arm member of the family to go SWO or something. There's a long history of enlisting in the navy in my family, going back like three gens. I also found out the reason my grandfather stopped at E-8 was because his command figured out he was banging a Japanese hooker. Yes, he was married and had three kids in the States. I always did wonder why my grandparents hated each other til I found that out.Anyhow

After enough badgering, I did some googling and found that I can't. I was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2002, at the age of eight. And because of this, when it comes time to get a clearance, this might come out and RIP my navy career. When I pointed this out to my father, his words were something to the effect of "The Navy might never found out". My retired lifer dad wants me to join the Navy, lie about my autism, and hope that bureaucratic incompetence saves the day.

Jokes on you dad, I read way too much GiP to join this rolling dumpster fire.

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost

A White Guy posted:

After enough badgering, I did some googling and found that I can't. I was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2002, at the age of eight. And because of this, when it comes time to get a clearance, this might come out and RIP my navy career. When I pointed this out to my father, his words were something to the effect of "The Navy might never found out". My retired lifer dad wants me to join the Navy, lie about my autism, and hope that bureaucratic incompetence saves the day.

Jokes on you dad, I read way too much GiP to join this rolling dumpster fire.

Dude I worked with an Airman who’s father was a Russian KGB General that had defected. Everyone assumed that they were both reporting back to Moscow, yet Ivan still got a Secret clearance before his enlistment ended. Tell the loving truth, you’ll get your clearance. Hell, they have randos at a loving Starbucks in CIA HQS. If they can get cleared, so can you. If you even need a clearance for your rating.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
If you want to join the navy, join the navy. If you don’t, don’t. don’t do it just because dad expects you to. As far as your sperg diagnosis: they are waiting eagerly for you at the DLI

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The navy is chock full of neurodivergent people.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The navy is chock full of neurodivergent people.

The entire CT community, outside of the defunct CTA/CTM, would be gutted if we didn't allow wall touchers in

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Being on the spectrum is an asset to much of the navy's mission because you need atypical thinking to survive in that environment.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Tell your recruiter about your 18 year old diagnosis or not. Pretty sure theyll never find out any other way. I pissed hot on my first go around and had to say i was sorry but still got in and did 20. And had a TS SCI

E. Added

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Grip it and rip it posted:

Don't listen to these pussies, you should sign up to be a marine and go infantry! The military is better the second time around, just ask that one guy who did it twice.

Fact: The Army was not better than the Marines.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

King of Bees posted:

Pretty sure theyll never find out any other way.

Absolutely not corrrect.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Do not join the Real Navy. It’s a bummer. The Reserves gives you a taste and hopefully you can make E5 before you go on a mobilization so your life isn’t completely terrible. At that point you could very well go active if you really felt the need.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Do not join the Real Navy. It’s a bummer. The Reserves gives you a taste and hopefully you can make E5 before you go on a mobilization so your life isn’t completely terrible. At that point you could very well go active if you really felt the need.

One of my friends is in the Navy and it’s done a lot for him, he’s going to retire at the age of 38 and do some kind of aerospace contracting, but he’s also completely miserable a lot of the time.

Also was divorced before he was old enough to drink, which, lol. That’s what happens when you get married right after basic.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I got denied for a benign tumor when I was an angry 18 year old who wanted to go infantry. My uncle who actually did that advises me it may have been the luckiest thing to happen to me

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my friends is in the Navy and it’s done a lot for him, he’s going to retire at the age of 38 and do some kind of aerospace contracting, but he’s also completely miserable a lot of the time.

Also was divorced before he was old enough to drink, which, lol. That’s what happens when you get married right after basic.

I have a friend who was getting his degree in mechanical engineering and the Navy recruited the poo poo out of him - did that thing where they take you out to a carrier and everything - and he signed up. Loved every second of nuke school, sub school, officer training, etc and was super into everything Navy right up until his first actual deployment on a sub after which he flipped immediately to "fuuuuuuck this" and got out as soon as he could.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did he say why? I imagine a sub sucks a lot more than a ship especially a big one

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
in all things theory is usually way more fun than practice

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Notahippie posted:

I have a friend who was getting his degree in mechanical engineering and the Navy recruited the poo poo out of him - did that thing where they take you out to a carrier and everything - and he signed up. Loved every second of nuke school, sub school, officer training, etc and was super into everything Navy right up until his first actual deployment on a sub after which he flipped immediately to "fuuuuuuck this" and got out as soon as he could.

I’m gonna guess that he had private industry recruiting the hell out of him when he got out? When I worked for Bechtel there were a ton of ex-Navy nuke guys around.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Scratch Monkey posted:

in all things theory is usually way more fun than practice

Possible exceptions:

Hairy Balls
Non-squeezing and Squeezing, when applied prudently
Cox-Zucker
Tits' Deformation
Who doesn't enjoy a Ham Sandwich (if religious and ethical concerns prevent your enjoyment consider a lickorish twist)

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did he say why? I imagine a sub sucks a lot more than a ship especially a big one

He just said it was a really lovely life. I don't think there was any drama or anything, but he was on a boomer and he just hated the experience of being stuck in a steel tube with all the same people for six months. He got out, went to med school, and is now a small town GP.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
JOs on submarines are about as miserable as anyone can be on a submarine, which is to say extremely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grip it and rip it posted:

JOs on submarines are about as miserable as anyone can be on a submarine, which is to say extremely.

Unless they're the chop. Being a nuke is miserable regardless of location. Being a non-nuke officer on a sub is considerably less miserable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

You don't get negligently-substandard healthcare for life by working fast food though :(

Yes you do.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

No, you don't get any.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I see the joke chitoryu is trying to make--"having no healthcare is negligently-substandard healthcare," but it reads weirdly because it's also saying "a thing is also not a thing."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

I see the joke chitoryu is trying to make--"having no healthcare is negligently-substandard healthcare," but it reads weirdly because it's also saying "a thing is also not a thing."

And the VA sucks but it at least occasionally provides some services.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Unless they're the chop. Being a nuke is miserable regardless of location. Being a non-nuke officer on a sub is considerably less miserable.

Huh, I thought all Sub officers were nuke officers and start out their careers in the Reactor Department. I honestly didn’t know there were non-nuke sub officers.

Learn something new everyday.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, the Supply Officers aren't nukes.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

The Valley Stared posted:

Yeah, the Supply Officers aren't nukes.

But how do they order fuel then?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Is there an actual proscription on officers talking political stuff or is that just one of those decorum things that went out the window with everything else that keeps our country stable?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

TK-42-1 posted:

Is there an actual proscription on officers talking political stuff or is that just one of those decorum things that went out the window with everything else that keeps our country stable?

Hatch Act if you mean "officers can't talk about partisan politics," other than that it's decorum up until the point where someone above them decides it's actually Conduct Unbecoming.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Beepity Boop posted:

Hatch Act if you mean "officers can't talk about partisan politics," other than that it's decorum up until the point where someone above them decides it's actually Conduct Unbecoming.

Ok so you can talk all the poo poo you want but you can’t be an active part of a party in an official capacity.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Also it is if you're talking about how Obungler is doing a bad job and getting Americans murdered it is a-okay but if you were critical of W or now Trump then wait just a minute, sir

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

So sucking off Trump on the timeline is looked down upon? Because I said “I thought it was unbecoming to be a political partisan” and was told I know nothing of the military.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

well it sounds like it's actually a violation of the Hatch Act to be a political partisan, whereas Conduct Unbecoming is at the discretion of superior officers

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

TK-42-1 posted:

So sucking off Trump on the timeline is looked down upon? Because I said “I thought it was unbecoming to be a political partisan” and was told I know nothing of the military.

You can always screen cap it and send it to someone's chain if you're not sure. The chain of command should be able to figure it out and generate an answer.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Fair enough. I just kind of feel like it’d be similar to a report of police brutality where the CO would agree and welp. Thanks for the answers. I figured he’s being a huge jackass I just wanted some outside confirmation that what I’ve picked up through osmosis wasn’t wrong.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The Hatch Act doesn't apply to military members, that would be governed by DOD Directive 1344.10, Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces. You can read the full list of do's and don'ts there, but essentially you can express a personal opinion as long as you're not doing it "as a representative of the Armed Forces". You can't participate in most partisan activities, especially in uniform, though things like going to a rally as a private citizen are allowed.

With social media one of the gray areas is whether a social media account that identifies a person as being in the military counts as being "a representative of the Armed Forces". Most guidance errs on the side of "just don't do it" but I don't think it's something that's been very well tested or established. I think it would be especially hard to make a case against someone praising an elected official vice disparaging one.

Officers are also held to UCMJ Section 888 - Contempt Toward Officials, which bans "contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present". Evidently it is totally legally permissible to say that Tim Mnuchin is a fuckwit, though.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Second-hand story, but someone who came back from a CYBERCOM exercise earlier this year told me about a dude who was awarded something (forget what) with nexus to dolt 45 - maybe a medal with his signature on the orders, or a citation, I forget what - but a decision-maker thought it should be presented in front of the whole training audience. As soon as the guy walks off stage he chucks the bauble into the trash can as hard as he can, making a nice clang that interrupted the next speaker. Dude was planning to separate anyways, this just moved the timeline up a bit.

If I ever get the chance to meet the guy I'm buying him a goddamn forty.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 5, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

An army officer posted memes making fun of Heather Heyer when she died on my timeline under his own account where he identifies himself as an officer. His command did not seem to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Guest2553 posted:

Second-hand story, but someone who came back from a CYBERCOM exercise earlier this year told me about a dude who was awarded something (forget what) with nexus to dolt 45 - maybe a medal with his signature on the orders, or a citation, I forget what - but a decision-maker thought it should be presented in front of the whole training audience. As soon as the guy walks off stage he chucks the bauble into the trash can as hard as he can, making a nice clang that interrupted the next speaker. Dude was planning to separate anyways, this just moved the timeline up a bit.

If I ever get the chance to meet the guy I'm buying him a goddamn forty.

This dude loving owns. I'm just glad that medals are functionally useless in the Air Force outside of being maybe a promotion tiebreaker but anytime someone gets a Meritorious Anal Bleaching Citation they want to get every fat gently caress to squeeze into their service dress and give each other a Dutch rudder.