Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Walmart / Target etc should all carry e.l.f. makeup brushes, which work very well and are only a couple bucks. Definitely practice on some junk material first though - makeup brushes hold an absolutely insane amount of paint and if you don't wipe the hell out of them first you'll end up putting on a second basecoat instead.

The combo of a huge brush head and very soft bristles makes for some really soft drybrushing transitions once you get the hang of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

Extremely fitting for 40k dystopia that two paints called mechanicus standard are completely different colours.

Things like this are why I absolutely love my airbrush.

I'm a clumsy oaf that can't do anything past priming and basecoating with it, but just that is completely worth it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I honestly can't imagine not having an airbrush at this point, even just being able to prime a single model easily without having to go outside is a godsend. Let alone being able to basecoat and do initial highlights/shadows in the actual colors I am using.

I know not everyone has a lot of space, but you really don't need a crazy setup especially if you're only spraying acrylics.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Accidentally bought my first resin model. Bought the wife a weirdboy without reading it's resin.

Is standard super glue used on normal models okay for resin?

This thing was hard to get during the pandemic (in my area) and really don't want to deal with a messed up resin model.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Super glue yes, plastic glue no.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Spiv posted:

Accidentally bought my first resin model. Bought the wife a weirdboy without reading it's resin.

Is standard super glue used on normal models okay for resin?

This thing was hard to get during the pandemic (in my area) and really don't want to deal with a messed up resin model.

You probably want to wash it with warm soapy water first, it might have some mold release agent on it that will make glue work poorly. A lot of casters use that, dunno about GW specifically.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Always wash resin, it doesn't matter who produced it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Wash every model you get. They all have some kind of mold release on them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cinara posted:

I honestly can't imagine not having an airbrush at this point, even just being able to prime a single model easily without having to go outside is a godsend. Let alone being able to basecoat and do initial highlights/shadows in the actual colors I am using.

I know not everyone has a lot of space, but you really don't need a crazy setup especially if you're only spraying acrylics.

I'm about to look up a basic airbrush kit tomorrow. Hopefully they're not too expensive? I don't know the first thing about them, but there's a Miniac video about just that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finished some Myconids. The little ones are weird but cute.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 1, 2020

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Cat Face Joe posted:

Wash every model you get. They all have some kind of mold release on them.

You really don't need to do this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I ordered a pair of Raphael 8404s, size 1 and size 00, from Jacksons Art back in July 27 via cheap snailmail, no tracking shipping and got them today, September 30. But hey, they were like half regular price so I guess if you're not in a rush it's a pretty good deal despite the covid shipping delay...

LifeLynx posted:

I'm about to look up a basic airbrush kit tomorrow. Hopefully they're not too expensive? I don't know the first thing about them, but there's a Miniac video about just that.

You probably want something like

Badger 105 - $75 USD on sale
generic AS186 - $100 USD or so
then a hose and a badger adapter which is like another $30

And those are good enough for entry and intermediate level usage. The compressor you'll probably never ditch and a hose is a hose so the only thing you might conceivably upgrade is the airbrush.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The actual annoying thing about the spray can colour is that I do own and use an airbrush but I want the colour of grey from the can not the pot and I can’t find a colour match for it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Mugaaz posted:

ok dude, thanks

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Eej posted:

You probably want something like

Badger 105 - $75 USD on sale
generic AS186 - $100 USD or so
then a hose and a badger adapter which is like another $30

And those are good enough for entry and intermediate level usage. The compressor you'll probably never ditch and a hose is a hose so the only thing you might conceivably upgrade is the airbrush.

Yup, this is a solid base to start with. The only other "required" thing is some sort of airbrush cleaning liquid. Past that some Badger Stynylrez, Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver, Vallejo Mecha Matt, nitrile gloves, a squeeze bottle for water and about 800 rolls of paper towel covers most of what I use on a regular basis.

The 105 is a great starter brush because even if you upgrade to something higher end, you'll still use it for priming, basecoating and varnishing stuff. You really don't want to be priming with a .2 needle, trust me, I did it for a long time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
One thing to note about Badger Stynylrez primer is that it turns irreversibly chunky in cold temperatures so you literally can't buy it during the winter if it gets cold where you live.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I love stynlrez but I am still incredibly suspicious about my big pot of white, it doesn’t go down particularly well at all compared to the others and I have no idea whether it’s just standard white paint problems or it’s a dud bottle.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I don't have huge problems with my white Stynylrez, but I also almost never use it anymore. I prime everything black, and anything I am going to zenithal I use white ink instead.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

Yeah, washing plastic miniatures is totally unnecessary unless you drop them in a bowl of gravy or something.

Mr Teatime posted:

I love stynlrez but I am still incredibly suspicious about my big pot of white, it doesn’t go down particularly well at all compared to the others and I have no idea whether it’s just standard white paint problems or it’s a dud bottle.

I've noticed if I don't shake mine extra well it gets runny in a way the black and grey don't. I assume it's just normal white primer crumminess. Works fine if I do shake it for a minute or so, though.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 1, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
If you're spraying a spraypaint that goes on chalky, put the can upright in a pan of warm tap water filled about half-way up the can (just in a pan of water! not on the stove!) for 15 minutes, then shake it real good for about 30-45 seconds after (or a few 10-20 second bursts, like, really, yes, count it out) and you will see a dramatic improvement in the quality of paint flow with whatever primer you are using

You might also consider removing the cap from your primer and cleaning it, most spraypaint caps are interchangable

If you look on the can directions for higher end spraypaints they'll tell you to shake them for 5 minutes, a lot of these chemicals separate really badly and the amount of shaking we're trained to do by kids with spraypaint on cop dramas was not correct. I bought some Montana Gold paints recently after seeing them on Marco Frisoni's channel and I had to go back and watch how he got them to work because they were saturating my models with thick brown fibers. Turns out it was my fault, haha.

edit: Re AirBrush Chat earlier, y'all might check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOUp_VTE5mI

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07478K74L/

This is around where I'm planning to start when I'm ready to buy a compressor, personally. Chinese unbranded products have been getting better and better generation to generation and you can get good results for a low price point without sacrificing a lot. This should make buying into airbrushing cheaper without having to sacrifice on the compressor which is potentially useful for a lot more stuff than airbrushing models. I've seen similar products also get worthwhile results on other channels. They are probably less durable though so if you're clumsy maybe spend more

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 1, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had some QA issues with my cheapo Chinese poo poo, although to be fair it was my own fault for being a big dummy with the first product I received - but the replacement parts they sent me were a bit of an ordeal. Good learning opportunity, I guess, and a great price point to see if I even like the airbrush at all / don't mind taking care of it.

I'd definitely recommend it over buying namebrand stuff if you're not 100% sure you're going to love an airbrush and if budget is a concern. Just don't be an idiot like me and unscrew the regulator cap :facepalm:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sab669 posted:

I had some QA issues with my cheapo Chinese poo poo, although to be fair it was my own fault for being a big dummy with the first product I received - but the replacement parts they sent me were a bit of an ordeal. Good learning opportunity, I guess, and a great price point to see if I even like the airbrush at all / don't mind taking care of it.

I'd definitely recommend it over buying namebrand stuff if you're not 100% sure you're going to love an airbrush and if budget is a concern. Just don't be an idiot like me and unscrew the regulator cap :facepalm:

Yeah they definitely don't idiot-proof any of that stuff, I have destroyed more than one cheap chinese product because I over-tightened a cap or took a pin out that I wasn't supposed to

My microwave is technically name brand and it had an essential component that looked like packing material literally taped onto the inner wall of the microwave, I had to replace that part the same day I bought the unit :smith:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished some Myconids. The little ones are weird but cute.

Just noticed these, these are amazing! I'm not sure if I love the little morels more, or the Weird Mushroom Swordsman. I feel like I'd be looking for excuses to use that mini constantly. Reminds me of protoman, same energy

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 1, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yeaaa the instructions made ZERO mention of how to attach the brush holder, so looking at the product images on Amazon on my phone I misunderstood what needed to be done and unscrewed the cap which, to quote the tech support guy on the phone, "pretty much FUBARs it"

They sent me a replacement regulator, but the nut attaching the regulator to the compressor disintegrated the second I put a wrench on it lol.

But hey they sent me the regulator for free, and then a replacement compressor with a regulator for free, so given that it was my fault from the get-go it's hard to be too mad.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

What? It’s Orktober you say?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Der Shovel posted:

This guy's helmet pains me physically, but I've painted and repainted it so many times I have to call it quits before I turn him into a blobhead.

Turns out painting white without an airbrush loving suuuuuuuuuuuuucks and I couldn't airbrush the head separately because I glued the head on before painting.

But overall, not bad IMO, and I loving love the insane "we stapled a cyber skeleton onto a golden eagle" standard.

Bladeguard Ancient from the new Indomitus starter set.

I like how even though the dude's hand fell off they've made sure not to lose it.

:3:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Ylthari's Guardians. Sylvaneth stuff is nice an easy to paint.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mirthless posted:

Just noticed these, these are amazing! I'm not sure if I love the little morels more, or the Weird Mushroom Swordsman. I feel like I'd be looking for excuses to use that mini constantly. Reminds me of protoman, same energy

The Shroomurai was the whole reason I gave those myconids a second look. Some incredible 'wandering mystery swordsman' energy there, except he's a mushroom. There's a lot of story potential there.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

You know I’d heard a lot of negative stuff about the citadel air paint line, but after a particularly bad day of what felt like slamming my dick in a drawer trying to push some regular citadel and Vallejo paints through my brush I tried some Corvus black air and it went down like a dream. I might actually buy more of the things.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mr Teatime posted:

You know I’d heard a lot of negative stuff about the citadel air paint line, but after a particularly bad day of what felt like slamming my dick in a drawer trying to push some regular citadel and Vallejo paints through my brush I tried some Corvus black air and it went down like a dream. I might actually buy more of the things.

If you haven't tried it yet, Vallejo metallic air will make you lose your mind

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

If you're spraying a spraypaint that goes on chalky, put the can upright in a pan of warm tap water filled about half-way up the can (just in a pan of water! not on the stove!) for 15 minutes, then shake it real good for about 30-45 seconds after (or a few 10-20 second bursts, like, really, yes, count it out) and you will see a dramatic improvement in the quality of paint flow with whatever primer you are using

You might also consider removing the cap from your primer and cleaning it, most spraypaint caps are interchangable

If you look on the can directions for higher end spraypaints they'll tell you to shake them for 5 minutes, a lot of these chemicals separate really badly and the amount of shaking we're trained to do by kids with spraypaint on cop dramas was not correct. I bought some Montana Gold paints recently after seeing them on Marco Frisoni's channel and I had to go back and watch how he got them to work because they were saturating my models with thick brown fibers. Turns out it was my fault, haha.

edit: Re AirBrush Chat earlier, y'all might check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOUp_VTE5mI

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07478K74L/

This is around where I'm planning to start when I'm ready to buy a compressor, personally. Chinese unbranded products have been getting better and better generation to generation and you can get good results for a low price point without sacrificing a lot. This should make buying into airbrushing cheaper without having to sacrifice on the compressor which is potentially useful for a lot more stuff than airbrushing models. I've seen similar products also get worthwhile results on other channels. They are probably less durable though so if you're clumsy maybe spend more

lol at the echo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mr Teatime posted:

for citadel base or vmc or vgc, you should have a ratio of 5 parts thinner to 1 part paint

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

If you haven't tried it yet, Vallejo metallic air will make you lose your mind

Have you tried Vallejo metal colour? That’s the holy grail right there.

Yes I know to thin paints in my airbrush but I swear some paints have exactly zero tolerance for being thinned and still somehow clog the poo poo out of the brush while refusing to spray well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's October, so I had to.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

So it turns out the air valve on my patriot may have died on its rear end which could explain why it’s been a chore recently. Dismantled it and there’s nothing visually wrong with it but I swapped in the valve off my Sotar and lo and behold I suddenly have full air pressure from my brush again. I thought I was kidding myself when it felt like it was giving me a lower pressure but here we are 🤷‍♀️

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I had something similar with my 105. I sent an email to Badger trying to explain what the problem was, and they recommended me mailing it in for troubleshooting & repair, which I did. They ended up sending me a new airbrush after about 3 1/2 weeks. I was ok with that.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I would but living in the uk it’s not really an option. Just bought a new valve instead. I’m not loving badger right now tbh, an essentially brand new sotar I have has a cracked nozzle and it 100% came that way.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Finished off Asurmen. Pretty crazy this is still a current model and came out in 93.

On washing models, I think it's always worth giving them a quick rinse with detergent before you spray - nothing worth than a bit of finger oil being under your undercoat causing paint to slough.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What would cause this type of effect on my paint when I go to cover with enamel? This is on pla that I 3d printed with acrylic paints and clear enamel as a top coat. Same brands and material that I normally use, first time seeing this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Which bits are the problem? The glossy sections or the areas where you can see the 3d print layers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Opps, sorry about not specifiying. It's the glossy area, the coating didn't apply smoothly and left those bubbles, open areas. The damage below was from me trying to wipe the clear coat off but it took off the paint and primer.