Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So I’m getting the error 918 won’t connect error, they make you feel like your account is banned. Apparently a lot of Steam accounts are getting this. I’ll dork around in single player I guess, hopefully they fix it soon. Popular belief is EA doesn’t have enough servers, but who knows.

Edit: someone says they got through to EA support, they say it’s a known issue they’re furiously trying to patch. Yup, looks like it’s single player for me unless I want to refund and buy on origin.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Played a quick pvp dogfight this morning in a TIE Interceptor -- cannot be overstated how much tighter your turn radius is when you pump all energy to engines. If that's not enough and you get stuck in a turning fight anyway, you can boost 2000 meters away in about two seconds, then pop a quick 180, switch energy to lasers, and pump some rebel scum full of plasma while they're still trying to bring their nose around on you.

:hellyeah:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Early verdict: I need a joystick. Game is good

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Currently splashing fools in an interceptor as Dr Evazan’s Decraniation Station :getin:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Out of curiosity, do the character names chosen at the start of the story ever show up for any other purpose? Haven't seen them anywhere, but kind of annoying that the only way to change them appears to be restarting the entire story.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

So I’m getting the error 918 won’t connect error, they make you feel like your account is banned. Apparently a lot of Steam accounts are getting this. I’ll dork around in single player I guess, hopefully they fix it soon. Popular belief is EA doesn’t have enough servers, but who knows.

Edit: someone says they got through to EA support, they say it’s a known issue they’re furiously trying to patch. Yup, looks like it’s single player for me unless I want to refund and buy on origin.

Yeah there's a giant thread on the EA forums at 37 38 pages and growing. I suspect there's something messed up on the authentication server. The only commonality seems to be they're all on Steam.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Information-Request-Error-Code-918/td-p/9532025/page/1

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, I'm running like 100+ FPS at all times, but when I turn my ship, it still feels kinda- choppy, I guess? Is there some setting I'm missing out on, or is this just how the game controls?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Plan Z posted:

So, I'm running like 100+ FPS at all times, but when I turn my ship, it still feels kinda- choppy, I guess? Is there some setting I'm missing out on, or is this just how the game controls?

There's apparently another bug that the game only runs at 60 or 30 fps despite displaying a higher framerate in apps. Something to do with animations? I'm not quite sure.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Refresh-Rate-bug/td-p/9535372

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just had a fantastic match where I joined a dogfight mode session in progress and the New Republic was down by like half as many kills as the full Imperial team. Hopped in an X-Wing and we came out with a win, and I got 1st place with 8-1-6 K: D :A

I am extremely bad at this game so this probably says more about pubbies than anything else. Was still super satisfying though.

Game's good.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

axeil posted:

There's apparently another bug that the game only runs at 60 or 30 fps despite displaying a higher framerate in apps. Something to do with animations? I'm not quite sure.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Refresh-Rate-bug/td-p/9535372

Yeah, it feels like the game is cutting the refresh rate at like 30 or something.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

What does the combo mean in the keybinding for my hotas?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Kunabomber posted:

I have a T16000m and this worked out for me.

Download vjoy and joystick gremlin.

Use joystick gremlin to bind your X and Y axis to different axis on the virtual joystick. In this case, I bound X-axis to vjoy's X rotation, and Y axis to vjoy's Y-rotation.

Press the little gamepad icon on the top of joystick gremlin's GUI to enable this binding. Make sure you save this profile too so you can use it later.

Start the game and re-bind the controls, making sure the pitch/yaw says joystick 2 X rotation and joystick 2 Y rotation.

This fixed everything, thank you for laying this out so an idiot could figure it out

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
This game is still in the "nobody knows wtf to do" phase of MP. I expect that in a week, competition will be a lot more stiff

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Fun game but holy gently caress am I bad at aiming.

Ballbot5000 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 2, 2020

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Womyn Capote posted:

What does the combo mean in the keybinding for my hotas?

Tap the button it does the first action, hold (or sometimes double tap) and it does the action nested under it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are people finding drifting to be useful in dogfights? I can imagine it as a quick j turn and then firing on your pursuer

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Game seems nice.

Holy gently caress the joystick lag.

And holy gently caress, why the hell doesn't ESC for options and poo poo work in the main menu while in VR using a stick?!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone else getting zero audio through the game? I tested my VR setup in the Steam VR lobby and audio works fine, but getting zero through the game. Can't figure out which of the settings I toggled to turn audio off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, putting yaw on roll on the stick, and roll on yaw, is a goddamn sin.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, putting yaw on roll on the stick, and roll on yaw, is a goddamn sin.

Then the original games are sinful.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
so like

if I launch the game in steam later today I have a good chance of not getting in at all, is that right?

is there an alternative? download the stupid origin launcher, or will that not know i own the game?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I got in today.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I thought the same way, but I recently re-played Wing Commander 3 and realized that physics aren't real in space sims so it makes sense to have yaw control on the X axis - the ships just don't move the way would in a flight simulator and with pitch/roll on the main axis it's hard to keep them on target.

At least in my experience.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
For sticks, this game seems to have some pretty bad hard-coded deadzone that isn't affected by the settings in the menus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WeFR-IPIQ&t=50s

Thankfully I can overcome this with a response curve adjustment in Joystick Gremlin/vJoy:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Kunabomber posted:

I'm on PC with the T16000m. Just managed to snag the TWCS so looking forward to it.

edit:

My first 'FPS' was Wing Commander 3. Because of that I became one of those monsters that always invert the vertical axis.

I don’t even remember what game turned me into an inverter but yeah, I invert for first person games always. I think here I’m in first person view for the pilot but the nose of the ship is just far enough away that my brain wants to not invert at times.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any way to fix the joystick lag or do I have to wait for an official patch? When I yank hard on an axis, and I watch my in-game hands, you can see them take their sweet time instead of actually following my stick position, and the vehicle acts accordingly to the in-game control motion. It's like the inputs are lowpassed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I only logged in and haven't played a mission yet. I understand TrackIR isn't supported (hopefully only 'yet' and it will soon).

Is it NEEDED though? That 360 look freedom? Like, in Elite it isn't NEEDED. In War Thunder it IS needed.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any way to fix the joystick lag or do I have to wait for an official patch? When I yank hard on an axis, and I watch my in-game hands, you can see them take their sweet time instead of actually following my stick position, and the vehicle acts accordingly to the in-game control motion. It's like the inputs are lowpassed.

Kunabomber posted:

I have a T16000m and this worked out for me.

Download vjoy and joystick gremlin.

Use joystick gremlin to bind your X and Y axis to different axis on the virtual joystick. In this case, I bound X-axis to vjoy's X rotation, and Y axis to vjoy's Y-rotation.

Press the little gamepad icon on the top of joystick gremlin's GUI to enable this binding. Make sure you save this profile too so you can use it later.

Start the game and re-bind the controls, making sure the pitch/yaw says joystick 2 X rotation and joystick 2 Y rotation.

edit: unless you're on console, no idea how the dead zones are on those platforms.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does upping the sensitivity in game help at all? I have mine at 100% and not noticing anything like this, though I also don't remember seeing it at the default 50%.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can anyone help me figure out joystick dead zones? I have a T-Flight Hotas X, and it really likes yawing to the left, and has a bit of a dead space before yawing to the right. Can I recalibrate the zero somewhere, or otherwise fix this? (It's a problem in E:D too, I just have been lazy so stopped playing that for a bit.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Didn't want to break out my HOTAS for this until they fixed the controls so I was going to use my Xbox controller, just to find out that the recent update broke the wireless receiver drivers for 360 controllers

:negative:

Arcturas posted:

Can anyone help me figure out joystick dead zones? I have a T-Flight Hotas X, and it really likes yawing to the left, and has a bit of a dead space before yawing to the right. Can I recalibrate the zero somewhere, or otherwise fix this? (It's a problem in E:D too, I just have been lazy so stopped playing that for a bit.)

If you run.exe "joy.cpl" it can give you an idea of where you are drifting. Past that you might need to download a settings program from the manufacturer to fix it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

edit: unless you're on console, no idea how the dead zones are on those platforms.
I'm not sure what the deadzones have to do with it? When I go from say full left to right, it'll still don't track the actual stick in realtime.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Didn't want to break out my HOTAS for this until they fixed the controls so I was going to use my Xbox controller, just to find out that the recent update broke the wireless receiver drivers for 360 controllers

:negative:

Wait, what? I'm using my 360 controller because my new stick is eternally in shipping, and I thought my Win10 was up-to-date but I don't want to accidentally update whatever does this.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not sure what the deadzones have to do with it? When I go from say full left to right, it'll still don't track the actual stick in realtime.

This is essentially the symptoms of the sensitivity feature in War Thunder. It's misleading because it really is just input lag. I would maybe mess with sensitivity and up it to 100%?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ah, I guess I misunderstood your question. The big issue with sticks in this game is the massive deadzone and when you said 'lag' I thought you were referring to that instead of 1-1 replication of your controller position.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Varkas posted:

For sticks, this game seems to have some pretty bad hard-coded deadzone that isn't affected by the settings in the menus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WeFR-IPIQ&t=50s

Thankfully I can overcome this with a response curve adjustment in Joystick Gremlin/vJoy:

Yeah based on what people are saying on reddit the deadzone looks to have a hardcoded minimum of 0.2 but due to the anti-cheat you can't manually edit the file :negative:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
With the X/Y axes mapped to rotation axes with gremlin and the rest of the controls mapped to buttons, this game is awesome.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Breakfast All Day posted:

Wait, what? I'm using my 360 controller because my new stick is eternally in shipping, and I thought my Win10 was up-to-date but I don't want to accidentally update whatever does this.

I have mine through the old dongle wireless recievers that they used to sell, if yours is wired it is probably fine

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Somehow I keep getting matched with the worst teammates who quit almost immediately and are incapable of dying constantly. Not like I'm good either, but holy poo poo is this frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have mine through the old dongle wireless recievers that they used to sell, if yours is wired it is probably fine

Nah I'm also on the ancient wireless dongle. I have a bag of them I bought off ebay like 10 years ago for when one occasionally bites it.