Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah it seems like the F-35 hit the props somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah it seems like the F-35 hit the props somehow.

That seems... Unlikely.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'd guess the prop damage is due to the chassis being lower to the ground when landing without landing gear. Note that the props on the right side of the plane are completely stripped, and one blade on the left side is also missing; that being a direct consequence of a midair collision seems very unlikely, but it could easily be caused by the plane rolling a bit during the landing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

That seems... Unlikely.

So does a mid-air during probe and drogue refueling, but here we are.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I listened to the ATC audio from this article and the pilot says that they have two engines out. I know nothing about the C-130 but I don't see what part of the engine other than the props could have been damaged in a collision.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36809/listen-to-intense-air-traffic-control-audio-of-kc-130js-collision-with-an-f-35b

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Generation Internet posted:

I listened to the ATC audio from this article and the pilot says that they have two engines out. I know nothing about the C-130 but I don't see what part of the engine other than the props could have been damaged in a collision.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36809/listen-to-intense-air-traffic-control-audio-of-kc-130js-collision-with-an-f-35b

Yeah, there's no other way he lost those engines, because the engines themselves appear intact....

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I read elsewhere that it's possible for the jet being refueled to push the drogue hose forward and it might have made it into the props. No idea if some dude commenting on the internet knows what he's talking about, though.

Regardless, the #3 and #4 engine were knocked out and they were leaking fuel from the collision per the pilot's radio calls.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Port Outer (#1) engine has 1 missing blade and the other 5 are bent to some degree. Not sure what caused the loss of one, but the others are indicative of a working engine hitting the ground
Port Inner (#2) engine looks to be in running condition.
Starboard Inner (#3) engine has all blades shattered. That's... unusual, see next for why.
Starboard Outer (#4) engine also has all blades shattered. Cannot be due to tipping, as the outer fuel tank is fine (See Port side fuel leak).

Starboard inner pylon tank is either damaged or destroyed, the image makes it look like its gone, but the quality isn't great.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Judging by the "dirt path" going to the right of the photo, its almost a guarantee that the KC-130 came from that direction, left wing dipped, slowed the plane, damaged port outer engine blades and it simply turned towards camera direction at end of run.

Now, that doesn't explain the two starboard engines. They had to be running to lose all their blades, because anything else would have damaged the wing to some extent, but we don't see any marks. Maybe they were windmilling while landing and struck something parked or trees? Otherwise, it hit something in the air.

Edit: The furthest white object on the right of the photo looks like a white pickup truck, but I think the object in front of that might be the Port outer pylon tank.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Judging by the "dirt path" going to the right of the photo, its almost a guarantee that the KC-130 came from that direction, left wing dipped, slowed the plane, damaged port outer engine blades and it simply turned towards camera direction at end of run.

Now, that doesn't explain the two starboard engines. They had to be running to lose all their blades, because anything else would have damaged the wing to some extent, but we don't see any marks. Maybe they were windmilling while landing and struck something parked or trees? Otherwise, it hit something in the air.

Edit: The furthest white object on the right of the photo looks like a white pickup truck, but I think the object in front of that might be the Port outer pylon tank.

Balls of Steel Raider 50 posted:

LA Center LA Center, RAIDER 50 declaring an emergency, midair collision with VOLT 93. We have two engines out, we're leaking fuel, and likely on fire, and in emergency descent at this time. RAIDER 50.

While Raider 50 didn't say the impact was on the starboard... I'm thinking it was that side.

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 1, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TCD posted:

While Raider 50 didn't say the impact was on the starboard... I'm thinking it was that side.

Honestly, considering the damage of the starboard wing compared to Port, yeah.

F-35 likely impacted inner pylon tank and both engines. Not sure what propellers are rated for in this day and age, but if you told me they would shatter vs the airframe of a modern jet I wouldn't be surprised.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Just wondering but if the Tesla cars use their Lidar/radar for collision avoidance and can like, dodge a bicyclist at the last second why isn’t a 5th generation strike fighter using its radar for collision avoidance, too?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Teslas don't work like that

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just wondering but if the Tesla cars use their Lidar/radar for collision avoidance and can like, dodge a bicyclist at the last second why isn’t a 5th generation strike fighter using its radar for collision avoidance, too?

It's a bit more complicated than a car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

It's a bit more complicated than a car.

At literally feet of distance, you're also not using the radar to watch the tanker...and you should actually have it in standby. "Noses cold" used to be a radio call from C2 to fighters prior to having them switch freqs.

I'm legit curious how the hell this happened in a probe/drogue refueling. My gut thinks he was showing off doing a roll over the top or something. Or was holding station off the tanker's wing (standard thing to do) but not paying attention and not realizing he was drifting. These have both happened and caused problems before.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm a bit of an expert in this field because I have ridden in a Tesla a few times and I've seen Top Gun five times. Teslas do not move as fast as jets.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Godholio posted:

I'm legit curious how the hell this happened in a probe/drogue refueling. My gut thinks he was showing off doing a roll over the top or something. Or was holding station off the tanker's wing (standard thing to do) but not paying attention and not realizing he was drifting. These have both happened and caused problems before.

I'm just a flightsimmer with delusions of grandeur, but this makes sense to me. When you're behind the drogue, you're laser focused on the aircraft in front and your relative distance, it seems very odd to glide past the drogue, past the hose, past the wing, and impact the props/engines without doing any corrective action.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just wondering but if the Tesla cars use their Lidar/radar for collision avoidance and can like, dodge a bicyclist at the last second

lol no they cant

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Teslas are one of the worst cars on the market that have any sort of object detection/avoidance software.

https://twitter.com/stultusvox/status/1307529357951467531?s=21

There’s another video from similar tests and the tesla happily kills pedestrians and cyclists while almost all others stop.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Blind Rasputin posted:

First off, Teslas don’t use lidar. Secondly, automotive radar has a range of a couple of hundred feet; not much use when you’re at jet fighter speeds. Or even C-130 speed.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Godholio posted:

At literally feet of distance, you're also not using the radar to watch the tanker...and you should actually have it in standby. "Noses cold" used to be a radio call from C2 to fighters prior to having them switch freqs.

So if I follow this right you think he connected to the fuel hose and then proceeded to yeehaw barrel roll over the top of the tanker to show off? Have pilots done that successfully before?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Blind Rasputin posted:

So if I follow this right you think he connected to the fuel hose and then proceeded to yeehaw barrel roll over the top of the tanker to show off? Have pilots done that successfully before?

I think that would be on the the disconnect. Not during the transfer.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think he was inverted

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think he was inverted

how else is he gonna prove a KC-130J can do a 4G negative dive

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Sometimes when I’m leaving my office and walking to my car I just stop in the parking lot and look up at the sky, and it just breathtaking to think that somewhere up there there’s a crackpot hotshot pilot with their collision avoidance radar turned off doing barrel rolls over a refueling tanker with the hose still attached. The majesty of it all could make a man weep.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Blind Rasputin posted:

collision avoidance radar turned off

There is no such thing as a "collision avoidance radar" on a fighter plane, there is only a search and weapons employment radar, which cooks people and electronic equipment up close. That is why that is turned off. (Well, there's the radar altimeter, but that's beside the point.)

Blind Rasputin posted:

doing barrel rolls over a refueling tanker with the hose still attached.

Nobody but you have said "with the hose still attached". Procedure after tanking is to glide slightly backwards to disconnect, then rejoin formation a bit up and to the right of the tanker. I believe Godholio speculated that he could have made some hotshot showoff move after disconnecting, instead of the regular ones.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 1, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
$20 says he disconnected, flew under the starboard wing to be cool and get closer to the pilot. Pulled up without realizing where his tail was, clipped the inner pylon tank and had the props shatter on the rear airframe/rudders

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Xakura posted:

There is no such thing as a "collision avoidance radar" on a fighter plane, there is only a search and weapons employment radar, which cooks people and electronic equipment up close. That is why that is turned off. (Well, there's the radar altimeter, but that's beside the point.)

Nobody but you have said "with the hose still attached". Procedure after tanking is to glide slightly backwards to disconnect, then rejoin formation a bit up and to the right of the tanker. I believe Godholio speculated that he could have made some hotshot showoff move after disconnecting, instead of the regular ones.

Do you respond this way to all jokes or are you just a plane spectrum man

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

maffew buildings posted:

Do you respond this way to all jokes or are you just a plane spectrum man

Right over his head like a crashing F-35

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

$20 says he disconnected, flew under the starboard wing to be cool and get closer to the pilot. Pulled up without realizing where his tail was, clipped the inner pylon tank and had the props shatter on the rear airframe/rudders

Could've just overshot on the plug, apparently it happens in fighters when they give it just a little too much throttle on run-in. Also hot-dogging after disconnecting is what happened to that KC-130/F-18 in Japan iirc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/conflictsw/status/1312044703114842115?s=21

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1312028128408039425

Big projectile whatever it is compared to those polls on the bridge.

RaffyTaffy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2020

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I line the guy that's just like "nah I'm gonna keep driving into this"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RaffyTaffy posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1312028128408039425

Big projectile whatever it is compared to those polls on the bridge.

https://www.iai.co.il/p/lora

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Random cross section of CJNG cartel armory

https://twitter.com/ElSobrinoJr/status/1312090950890598401?s=20

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

drat that’s enough to equip a light infantry platoon

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I want to be the dude with the Winchester 1887 standing next to the dude with the AR50

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Looks like a logistics nightmare when it comes to ammo and parts

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Looks like a logistics nightmare when it comes to ammo and parts

I think the cartels know a thing or two about supply chains ;)

Also from the pictures I wouldn’t be surprised if their strategy for repairing guns is to toss em and raid the nearest police armory

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Context?

E. I googled around and it’s the Not loving Around Coalition, an all black “militia.”

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 4, 2020