Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

Ditocoaf posted:

Is there a good place to play Highlander these days? (I asked earlier but it was bad timing, got buried in the balance chat.)

http://tf2center.com/ is pretty much open to all skill levels and there's constantly at least one highlander game goin. It is for sure the most active for NA/EU highlander

rgl/ugc have hl pug discords I believe not sure how well other pug sites like tf2stadium, hl.pugs.tf are doing.. I think they're mostly dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Warpy posted:

http://tf2center.com/ is pretty much open to all skill levels and there's constantly at least one highlander game goin. It is for sure the most active for NA/EU highlander

rgl/ugc have hl pug discords I believe not sure how well other pug sites like tf2stadium, hl.pugs.tf are doing.. I think they're mostly dead.

Awesome, thank you! I'll probably spend some time on tf2center. After getting back into TF2 a bit this summer I've started hungering for something a little more focused than Casual queue.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Butt Detective posted:

In that case, here's the link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2236221805

It's called Death By Chocolate and the idea is that it looks, as the name suggests, like it's made of chocolate. I originally made this war paint about two years ago, but was never all that happy with the main texture, so I decided to retool it and make it more Halloween themed. Partially because Scream Fortress/Smissmas updates seem to be the only "reliable" updates right now. :sigh:

Man this owns, I'd love to see them add it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Butt Detective posted:

In that case, here's the link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2236221805

It's called Death By Chocolate and the idea is that it looks, as the name suggests, like it's made of chocolate. I originally made this war paint about two years ago, but was never all that happy with the main texture, so I decided to retool it and make it more Halloween themed. Partially because Scream Fortress/Smissmas updates seem to be the only "reliable" updates right now. :sigh:

This whole set rules, but I love the Black Box look.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that looks positively tasty

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
You folks know what today is?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5DTJVrPh0c

pretty cool

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

He streamed some gameplay of it earlier.

https://youtu.be/PSxQxDC0ebI

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i saw! the modded natascha would make me want to at least try playing heavy for more than 5 minutes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm disappointed that Scream Fortress added a Halloween version of Badwater and didn't call it Batwater.

edit while I'm glad Megalo is a KOTH map, I'm disappointed that it does not appear to be propane themed

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 2, 2020

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I hope they get rid of the sniper bots soon someday.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've been seeing a ton of heavy bots lately, they're still obvious in that they all have the same name and avatar.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Those changes to the Syringe Gun are giving me an itch for uber-chaining. Ubersaw for uber, syringes for DPS and to top your own uber off for the second medic's run.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How come I'm not seeing any enthusiasm for the huge update Mannpower mode just got???

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

nielsm posted:

How come I'm not seeing any enthusiasm for the huge update Mannpower mode just got???

Probably because literally no one plays Mannpower mode

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I had to look up what Mannpower mode was, because I'd forgotten it existed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is mannpower the one that's like lovely basketball that for some reason JJ Abrams invented or the one where everyone has a janky grappling hook and there's insane powerups all over the place and it feels like a super lazy mod?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mannpower is the one with grappling hooks and powerups, and only has CTF maps.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was doing Halloween event contracts yesterday. It's been a while!:unsmith:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1311855308684304385?s=19

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

They do, it's just that they let everyone else make the content for them.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 27, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You can tell from that chart, it only goes back to 2012. Which is still 5 years after release, so maybe not the best indicator of all-time playerbase.

edit: of course 2012 is probably close to when it went f2p so maybe I'm wrong and it did peak around then
edit2 how many of those players active in the last few months are bots though

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well if you believe the dudes at creators.tf, who definitely don't have anything to do with the bot problem, it's like 70% bots

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BIG fan of "badwater but coded by someone who has no idea what they're doing so it runs like poo poo" and "map that is 90% pit with a train for no loving reason"

gently caress this halloween update sucks

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Pro tip: Don't play Ghost Fort if you're looking to do a quick match, because what should otherwise be a five minute match will be extended to over a half-hour because Merasmus will appear for both teams to beat the crap out of, only for him to show up thirty seconds later.

Like, when you hit 'Merasmus [Level 11]', it's like, 'I just want the match to end so I can complete this contract and go eat.'

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Glad that the Halloween event finally started so that I can play nothing but Helltower like I do every year

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I got to stomp for a bit and got called a tryhard

but then next match, my team could barely kill a single enemy

i loving hate everyone who plays this game lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Get a load of this tryhard

Could you kill less people and instead spam taunts? That's what the coolest notable people do. Like:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
btw:

Butt Detective posted:

criminal this didnt get any traction. are there any sites more dedicated to this kind of thing?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Get a load of this tryhard

Could you kill less people and instead spam taunts? That's what the coolest notable people do. Like:

this is what all cool players do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=metKoK983EY

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh poo poo I'm cool as hell

:smith:

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

ArfJason posted:

btw:

criminal this didnt get any traction. are there any sites more dedicated to this kind of thing?

If there are, I'm not aware of them. :( I posted it on my social medias, but otherwise just had to hope people checked it out while browsing the workshop.

I'm a little bummed it didn't get in, but I like most of the ones that did get added, some of which I remember voting for/favouriting. The Raving Dead one in particular is really cool, especially with the shimmer it has! I love it when people get creative with the phong mask, like how the wood cracks with the creepy little eyes don't reflect light at all on the Crawlspace Critters paint but the cobwebs are SUPER reflective. Organically Hellraised is also real nice looking, though I'm not sure why the blu variant is green. Not that I have an issue with it, I like green :p

The only ones I don't like are the Spiders Cluster paint which looks like it's had the dodge and burn tools used on it, and the Pumpkin Pied paint which I'd like more if the images didn't look so... clip art-y.

As for maps, I think Megalo and Bloodwater are my favourites of the ones that got added. Megalo's dynamic point is fun and the Halloween gimmicks aren't too intrusive (a thing Bloodwater suffers from, even if I still enjoy it). No bosses, no underworld, just some pumpkin bombs and a spooky ghost train. :D The 3v3 aspect on Moldergrove is interesting, though the map itself feels a little too cramped for my liking.

Also the Boom Boxers are by far my favourite new cosmetic because I was fighting a Demoman on a normal Hightower server while waiting to get into a casual game and I only saw him from the front and I died and in the killcam he just whipped round to expose the huge hole in his pants and I was NOT expecting it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Pro tip: Don't play Ghost Fort if you're looking to do a quick match, because what should otherwise be a five minute match will be extended to over a half-hour because Merasmus will appear for both teams to beat the crap out of, only for him to show up thirty seconds later.

Like, when you hit 'Merasmus [Level 11]', it's like, 'I just want the match to end so I can complete this contract and go eat.'

The secret is to lose to merasmus then he'll leave properly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh no, you got 500 bonus xp after the game ended. What a horror. Think about how this is going to affect you ELO rating and constantly tracked k\d ratio!

Being auto-balanced in the very last phase of the round, having to defeat the very team you carried - fair enough, doesn't feel good. Being auto-balanced after the round ends - seriously, how does this matter?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:goonsay: you get your xp doubled up to 500 xp for xp gained after you've been switched. The prompt is a filthy lie. Still nothing to complain about though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Oh no, you got 500 bonus xp after the game ended. What a horror. Think about how this is going to affect you ELO rating and constantly tracked k\d ratio!

Being auto-balanced in the very last phase of the round, having to defeat the very team you carried - fair enough, doesn't feel good. Being auto-balanced after the round ends - seriously, how does this matter?

i got balanced a microsecond before the game ended which i found funny

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A oldie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPVT1A-s4b8

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If I get autobalanced, that usually means the other team was quitting because they were losing, so I see it as essentially equivalent to a "victory" pop-up and consider the round over.