Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

garthoneeye posted:

The lip syncs in DRUK were also not very good in general. It may point to a difference in typical drag performances between Europe and North America. One of Charlie Hides excuses for her bad lip sync was “all the acts in London sing live.”

Yeah, my friends who have lived in London have said that the queens are more comedy, or maybe live performance, but lip syncing wasn't really a thing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I remember thinking the same thing about DRUK too. Makes me really wish we could see the queens perform as they do typically instead of forcing them to fit the American version’s mold. DR Thailand had some truly amazing lip syncs so I just assumed it was universal to drag culture, but I guess that’s my imperialism showing.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Sederginne is extremly hot as a guy.

Checking out the instagrams and oh my god.

Just letting you all know.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CECdQ1TJXZR/

I knew they were cute from the show, but the interview look does not do them justice.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 20, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Little Death posted:

Sederginne is extremly hot as a guy.

Checking out the instagrams and oh my god.

Just letting you all know.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CECdQ1TJXZR/

I knew they were cute from the show, but the interview look does not do them justice.

That chest is stunning

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that’s like gutter smut idealized hirsute and it’s great

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Welp, being unable to :files: Drag Race Holland finally got me to sign up for the WoW streaming service, which finally got me to start in on Drag Race Thailand season 2 and

:stare:

P. Art ain't taking no poo poo from nobody. That first lip sync was iconic, and I just wonder at the logistics of what happened. Are they given a list of lip syncs to prepare, not just one per episode?

As for all the Dutch-English, I noticed that the vast majority of them are from Amsterdam and I don't know what or why it is, but it's a very English-speaking city. Comparable to Montreal, but probably even more so. I never had any problems not knowing Dutch when I was there, and a friend of mine has even lived and worked there for years without learning any Dutch. If I had to guess (which is usually a stupid thing to do, yes, I know), there are thoughts/words and turns of phrase that just work better and feel more natural in English, kind of like we might refer to a je ne sais quois.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It will never not be funny irl when someone says je me sais quoi to just deadpan look them in the eyes and say 'i don't know what that means'

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’m catching up on the Vegas show and my god, just fire Derrick into the sun.
Nebraska, too.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

the escape goat posted:

Nebraska, too.

Also Kamerons ex for dumping home on tv

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

the escape goat posted:

Nebraska, too.

This makes me glad I stopped watching it because it seemed like it was just going to "Derrick and Nebraska's Drama Hour" and I was wholly uninterested

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

the escape goat posted:

Nebraska, too.

Same. What is it that other drag performers like about him? Are they just trying to help protect him from inevitable online hate? Obviously I don't know Derrick aside from his public persona but he seems to love starting fights and drama with his coworkers.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

thankfully the Nebraska dogshit ends in episode 2 but Derrick's... doesn't.

I dunno, it's been a decent way to kill a couple hours in lockdown and a welcome break from my absentminded Jersey Shore marathon.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I had no idea who Fred was prior to RPDR Holland, but I am really enjoying him as a host, particularly compared to the strange robotic Ru-clone that Brooke Lynn was attempting to be on RPDR Canada.

Speaking of, who are some dream guest judges of yours, no matter how off-the-wall?

UK: Joe Lycett for sure...I'm still convinced that he's a butch Cheryl Hole. Maybe Noel Fielding?

Canada: Nathan Fielder; any of the Letterkenny fellas; Nardwuar

Holland: unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any Dutch celebrities other than NikkieTutorials and a few DJs, but I'd love to hear any suggestions if you've got 'em!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Canada: Douglas Coupland.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Margaret Atwood would be the perfect guest host for Canada.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

agreed with every one of the dream canada judges listed above; would also love dan levy/annie murphy, kind of an extremely niche choice but sook-yin lee or hell, olivia chow

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Drag Race Holland discussion: I'm so glad Madame Madness didn't leave. His crying in the confessional really made me feel bad for him for a bit and the makeup was what he always does, so it wasn't going to cut it for this challenge, so I thought they were setting it up to ship him off this episode. So glad he did the cartwheel, but kinda annoyed the camera focused on Patty Pam Pam the first half of the lip sync. All the stuff Madame Madness was doing in the background looked cool!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Kim's convenience cast. Mostly because I'm tickled whenever and actor known for a heavily accented part speaks without it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Welp, being unable to :files: Drag Race Holland finally got me to sign up for the WoW streaming service, which finally got me to start in on Drag Race Thailand season 2 and

:stare:

P. Art ain't taking no poo poo from nobody. That first lip sync was iconic, and I just wonder at the logistics of what happened. Are they given a list of lip syncs to prepare, not just one per episode?

As for all the Dutch-English, I noticed that the vast majority of them are from Amsterdam and I don't know what or why it is, but it's a very English-speaking city. Comparable to Montreal, but probably even more so. I never had any problems not knowing Dutch when I was there, and a friend of mine has even lived and worked there for years without learning any Dutch. If I had to guess (which is usually a stupid thing to do, yes, I know), there are thoughts/words and turns of phrase that just work better and feel more natural in English, kind of like we might refer to a je ne sais quois.

It is out there, but only on one public site from what I've been able to find. Not got around to watching it yet though.

Has anyone else watched the Vegas Revue? Jesus wept. Some of these people seem to be insufferable no matter what they're doing or where they're doing it.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Has anyone else watched the Vegas Revue? Jesus wept. Some of these people seem to be insufferable no matter what they're doing or where they're doing it.

I watched the pilot and Christ it was bad. Forced housewives drama. The green screen confessionals. It was awful. I was hoping it was a special about the Vegas show, but, no.

If they bring it back, make it worse. Add in the biggest nobodies and make them fight even more. Like, Magnolia Crawford going at Serena Chacha for borrowing her dress.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

not technically drag but....

I feel like this thread will appreciate the looks of the Miss Grand Thailand pageant.

Larger gallery here:

https://imgur.com/a/rhxKFVQ

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I enjoy the range of "I'm a goddess" and "I'm a mythical hero" and the one girl is just like "hi I'm soup"

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Having only recently gotten sucked into Drag Race, I remember seeing people post about Chi Chi passing away without knowing her. Now that I've watched her season and am watching season 3 of All Stars, it's really rough hearing people talking about how she has such a bright career ahead of her. I thought she and Kim Chi were the stars of season 8, and it sucks the world was robbed of an awesome queen like her.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

The Little Death posted:

not technically drag but....

I feel like this thread will appreciate the looks of the Miss Grand Thailand pageant.

This is fantastic.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dragula is having a Halloween special streaming on Shudder that looks pretty rad-

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a34217608/dragula-halloween-special-queens-shudder-boulet-brothers/

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

ooooooooooooooooh! And the winner gets a spot on S4!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

finally an excuse to get shudder!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Deathlove posted:

finally an excuse to get shudder!

Also watch One Cut of the Dead during your free trial if you haven't already.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I’m watching episode 2 right now, and I find that I keep getting distracted by the question “I wonder how the gently caress they’re gonna translate this!?”

It’s such a marvelous mish-mash of English and Dutch idiom. One of the queens just used the expression “met gestrekte been”, which is kinda like “purse first” but with you leg(s)..

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

“‘t is een gezellige klomperette”
I would dare anybody to translate that in less than two paragraphs. I really like that they havent been obviously instructed to make this completely internationally relatable, but it’s a pitty so much will not parse for viewers who don’t speak Dutch

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Those of us who don't speak Dutch are obviously going to miss a lot but the mix of languages is very entertaining anyway. Everyone I ever met from the Netherlands could speak 4 languages easy.

Season's going great so far, I love the mean-rear end judging. Fred is a fantastic host and Nikkie Plessen is great too - oh man she wants to see some nice shoes! I love that she was wearing stilettos behind the judges table - you could wear slippers and sweats and nobody would ever know. Sinderginne tried to be like 'do you know how hard it is to wear heels all day?' to her?!?

The Ru taped segments are so unnecessary and sad.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

To all Nethergoons (I'm assuming that's what you want to be called), is there a cultural tie to south america with the Dutch? Is there a lot of immigration from there? Just thought it was interesting that season 1 would have 2 queens from South America featured.

Also these runway themes have been really fun so far. I like that it's almost asking them to riff of a name.

Like the first one is "some kind of queen" and this one was "related to painting in some way". It's fun that they each give their looks a title so you can see what they were going for. That idea should be adapted to the other Drag Races.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 1, 2020

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Cafe Barbarian posted:

the mean-rear end judging.

The judges certainly aren’t pulling any punches, but their critiques are very much ‘the Dutch way’. Hierarchical dynamics are generally frowned upon. Pulling rank to go against consensus without explanation is seen as a weakness. We call this the ‘polder model’: everybody is allowed to join the discourse.
In the US drag race you get very curated judging: it’s a ‘Bad’, a ‘Good’, or a ‘Good/Bad, but’. And the critiques together form a balanced, easy to swallow whole. The tone is very authoritative.
In drag race holland the judges are not giving so much as a verdict, but more their personal opinion in the sense of ‘if I had been you, I would have...”. They all get to pick their nits, regardless of what nits the previous judge picked.

Cafe Barbarian posted:

The Ru taped segments are so unnecessary and sad.

Yeah, the show can easily stand on its own. I guess they thought it was needful to make sure people would recognize it is RU PAUL’S drag race first and foremost

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

The Little Death posted:

To all Nethergoons (I'm assuming that's what you want to be called)

In keeping with with the trend of interlingual butchery of this season of drag race, I’m going with Nedergooners.

The Little Death posted:

is there a cultural tie to South America with the Dutch? Is there a lot of immigration from there? Just thought it was interesting that season 1 would have 2 queens from South America featured.

There is a tie with Surinam, but not Brazil or Peru

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Such Fun posted:

Yeah, the show can easily stand on its own. I guess they thought it was needful to make sure people would recognize it is RU PAUL’S drag race first and foremost

I mean, if you're RuPaul, you put your name and brand on every drat offshoot you possibly can. That land ain't gonna frack itself.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Also, can we get the thread title changed? Because this one is bullshit.

I submit: ‘Drag Race Holland: Een gezellige klomperette’

(Gezellig is a quintesential Dutch word for a state of being that connotes with happiness, comfort, company, and merriment. Klomperette is a word Fred made up. The root is klomp, clog - a wooden shoe. The suffix -erette implies a going on of clogs, but feminate and diminutive. So ‘we’re getting cloggy in here’, but the clogs are sissy clogs with paillettes. So that’s less than two paragraphs, but I kinda murdered it. And it’s actually real loving funny.)

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

angerbeet posted:

That land ain't gonna frack itself.

[Katya voice]: I am fracking my land on a daily basis. It gives me no pleasure.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Such Fun posted:

The judges certainly aren’t pulling any punches, but their critiques are very much ‘the Dutch way’. Hierarchical dynamics are generally frowned upon. Pulling rank to go against consensus without explanation is seen as a weakness. We call this the ‘polder model’: everybody is allowed to join the discourse.
In the US drag race you get very curated judging: it’s a ‘Bad’, a ‘Good’, or a ‘Good/Bad, but’. And the critiques together form a balanced, easy to swallow whole. The tone is very authoritative.
In drag race holland the judges are not giving so much as a verdict, but more their personal opinion in the sense of ‘if I had been you, I would have...”. They all get to pick their nits, regardless of what nits the previous judge picked.

I haven't seen today's episode yet, but I noticed in Episode 2 that the judges seem VERY focused on body shape, in a way that the newer seasons of US Drag Race seemed to try to move away from. Like of course we had the "hog body" crap in Season 6, but it seems like the judging in the VH1 seasons focuses more on "Does this garment fit your body?" vs "How feminine is your body?"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I can't speak Dutch at all, but I'm really enjoying the greeting that sounds like "HERP HERP"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

lmao both Brooke Lynn and Priyanka tested positive for covid prior to the Montreal/Toronto dates of the Canada’s Drag Race at the Drive-In tour. Voss did not cancel or postpone, nor have they made any sort of public comment or post on their social media channels.

I sent them an email, only to be hit a minute later by the copy/paste:

Voss Events posted:

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience. The tour has strict safety protocols that must be followed by all cast and crew. These guidelines include passing a PCR test for COVID-19 prior to each show. Additionally, the entire touring party is restricted from interacting with anybody outside of our group while on tour. Those who fail to abide by these guidelines must be removed for the safety of our staff, cast and crew. It would be unfair to the rest of the cast who spent weeks preparing for these shows and the many people working on the tour to cancel because of the actions of very few.

Enhanced safety measures, including that all attendees must remain in their vehicles, ensure this is an incredibly safe event for all involved. We are in close contact with Public Health and Safety. They have deemed drive-ins to be a safe activity and permitted to continue under current guidelines.

As stated in the purchase policy, the line-up is subject to change. We still have a full show with an equal number of cast members and are confident you will have a great time. We are working diligently to bring people much needed entertainment during these very difficult times and unfortunately situations like this are the world’s new reality. We appreciate your understanding.

Regards, Voss Events

really lovely on their end