Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Super tech impenetrable tower doesn't alert anyone that lamplighter is suddenly opening doors in secure areas out of the blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Super tech impenetrable tower doesn't alert anyone that lamplighter is suddenly opening doors in secure areas out of the blue

I know people see them as plot holes, but poo poo like this and Starlight being kept in a room with no human supervision actually ring true to me

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing the head-popping congressional hearing is the show's Reichstag fire moment.

Now for the Night of Long Capes.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

GD_American posted:

I know people see them as plot holes, but poo poo like this and Starlight being kept in a room with no human supervision actually ring true to me

cameras would be a vulnerability as an electricity source though i guess the emergency light was an oversight. who knows!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GD_American posted:

You pay out the rear end for a fancy automated security algorithm so you don't need to keep spending cash on guards and bribes for when the guards see Homelander murdering prisoners. Besides, they left black noir sitting around the tower watching the cameras, what could go wrong?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Whoever is doing the head popping is drat effective. Makes you wonder if it takes a moment to focus and make them pop or it's just quick as they want it done, could influence how they get taken down in the end.

Going to give the actress playing Ashley some credit, she's drat good in the role. I really liked how she was all business but as soon as Maeve told her to act like a loving human, she did. It's little touches like that which makes the show.

Becca is so on borrowed time at this point.

Black Noir appears to be very much different than his comic book version and that's for the best, they had already changed a lot of in TV stuff with him so that whole comic book reveal wouldn't have made any sense here.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Gonna rewatch the last ep, probably tonight, but it seems a little suspicious that stan edgar, who made the initial PR statement about compound V was conspicuously absent from the hearings.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I bet the cult is behind the headsplosions, and I really hope it's the fly that's been on camera doing some crazy ant-man stuff to kill everyone. Edgar not being at the hearing does seem important though, so he might be a secret supe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
At least AOC stand in didn’t die.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The IT guy for my company didn't delete users from the property management system who no longer worked there.

So yea, it's believable that their tech or personnel suck.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Golden Bee posted:

At least AOC stand in didn’t die.

I was waiting for them to pop her and give the real-life alt-right shitheads fulfillment of the shower fantasy AOC death they've so been craving. Glad they didn't

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Edgar is too brave faced standing up to homelander to not be a supe

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The convenience store clerk killed in the opening, was that the same clerk from season 1 when Hughie had a panic attack at seeing all the A-Train merch in the store?

You could see some A-Train branded stuff in the shot, so I'm just wondering.

Kinda bummed that Lamplighter was only around for two episodes, I dug the character.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Snazzy Frocks posted:

As someone who is pretty knowledgeable about security, the security holes on this show are honestly really insulting. Sage Grove, a super secret compound full of supe test subjects, had like what, 3 total guards? We saw 1 single guy in the monitor room, the 1 guy who shot Cindy, and I think 1 other guard in that whole episode. And they looked like regular shmo rented security people in a facility where if a lockdown needs to happen they better be trained and prepared to either die or lock down the supes with gas or whatever.

As for Vought Tower, Lamplighter tells Hughie that if his hand scan fails they'll be swarmed with guards with AKs. Then the alarms go off on 42, where the literal Hall of Justice is, and the only people who show up are Black Noir and Maeve. Like all they had to do was show a bunch of armed guards heading toward 42, run into Black Noir, then Noir holds his hand up to tell them to stand down so he can handle this himself. The guards didn't even need to actually show up but they should have been at least shown as existing and trying to do their jobs.

ANYWAY plot holes aside this episode was awesome. The last 2 or 3 episodes haven't quite kept that same sense of dread hanging over me the entire time, but this one brought all of that back. From the way too real opening to the final scene, I was really uncomfortable the whole way through.

The assassin can't be Cindy. It has to be someone from the Church and like others have said I bet it's the L. Ron equivalent.

Also, about Ryan, he'll eventually see that Stormfront and Homelander are also lying to him and turn on them as well. Whether he runs back to Becca or not remains to be seen but there's no way Stormfront and Homelander are going to successfully turn him into their junior nazi super soldier. Ryan may hate Becca for lying to him but Becca instilled enough goodness into him that he won't accept the racism from Stormfront and Homelander.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Butcher saying "no worries" cements in my mind that no one involved knows the difference between a british dialect and a kiwi one.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Crespolini posted:

It's kinda a required secondary feature for a lot of other powers, and maybe a lot of the no-durability heroes just got shot a long time ago.

never forget acid vomit man who was still as fragile as a non-supe

:smith:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I thought it was hilarious. It's like corporate satire.

Security is all about compliance. And big wigs often flout policy and punish anyone who tries to enforce it on them.

Things probably said at Vought: "ID? Do you know who I am?," and, "Auditing employee permissions? IT is a cost and we like to keep costs to a minimum."

Anecdote: Reminds me of this hilarious article about a Wall Street secret society. A century old. Founded during the Great Depression. Billionaires. Heads of state. Titans of industry. Conspiracy nuts long speculated it was some Masters of the Universe affair, planning the next years' economy and world events.

It's an amateur comedy night!

A journalist snuck in by just walking past security. All he had to do was look the part then walk past check in. If you're a guard and you ID Check a billionaire shithead, you're done. So you think, what're the odds this is a trespasser versus someone who's supposed to be there? So you don't check. You just continue blending in with the wallpaper and letting it all be security theater.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Accretionist posted:

Security is all about compliance. And big wigs often flout policy and punish anyone who tries to enforce it on them.

Things probably said at Vought: "ID? Do you know who I am?," and, "Auditing employee permissions? IT is a cost and we like to keep costs to a minimum."

"Why are we paying this much for security? This is the headquarters of a crime fighting superhero group! Who would break in here?"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/mZhJx91.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/G7SiYCQ.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/yFQuRjw.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 2, 2020

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I respect the commitment to the bit that every one of Butcher's relatives has an equally baffling accent.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Given the capability and depravity of the Seven, it makes sense to me that corporate would decline to send witnesses up when a smoke alarm goes off on that particular floor. Ditto the discreet sex-worker/corpse removal elevator.

What's more intriguing to me is whether they jury-rigged a Starlight-proof cell on the fly or if they do their best to make Supe specific cells for all of the talent.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

massive spider posted:

Butcher saying "no worries" cements in my mind that no one involved knows the difference between a british dialect and a kiwi one.
I honestly didn’t know Butcher was supposed to be British until episode 5 of this season. Karl Urban is great but his cockney (?) impression is just the worst. The worst.

Also I may be bad at watching but did the sprinklers do something to that room that meant Starlight could suddenly blow the doors off?

e: blow the bloody doors orf!

Durzel fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I'm going to take a wild stab in and the dark and say the head popper is Cindy's more sane twin.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
lamplighter isn't The Human Torch, he has pyrokinesis like a fire bender, he's not a literal fire man. Him being immune to fire would be like someone with telekinesis being immune to being pushed. He can't even make a fire without a zippo lighter.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Given the capability and depravity of the Seven, it makes sense to me that corporate would decline to send witnesses up when a smoke alarm goes off on that particular floor. Ditto the discreet sex-worker/corpse removal elevator.

What's more intriguing to me is whether they jury-rigged a Starlight-proof cell on the fly or if they do their best to make Supe specific cells for all of the talent.

It sounded like they built one really, really good one and had it ready. They have a pretty good idea of what supes can do, so keeping it away from electricity, light, water, fire, and having super thick walls seems pretty easy to do. I'm sure the air vents are super tiny too or have grids across them so no small guys can get in or out as well. At some point Vought had to have a supe they needed to lock up so it makes sense to have one ready to go. Updating it occasionally as new powers come out probably happens as well.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Durzel posted:

I honestly didn’t know Butcher was supposed to be British until episode 5 of this season. Karl Urban is great but his cockney (?) impression is just the worst. The worst.

Also I may be bad at watching but did the sprinklers do something to that room that meant Starlight could suddenly blow the doors off?

The fire alarm went off which turned on some emergency light on the inside of the room and gave here a place to pull juice :dice:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

VagueRant posted:

I respect the commitment to the bit that every one of Butcher's relatives has an equally baffling accent.

is yeh arvin ehh liff, suyne?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Keltar posted:

I'm going to take a wild stab in and the dark and say the head popper is Cindy's more sane twin.

God dammit Mindy I knew it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Durzel posted:

She draws power from electric lights, so the flashing emergency light in the otherwise dark room let her charge up enough to blow open the door.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Anecdote: Reminds me of this hilarious article about a Wall Street secret society. A century old. Founded during the Great Depression. Billionaires. Heads of state. Titans of industry. Conspiracy nuts long speculated it was some Masters of the Universe affair, planning the next years' economy and world events.

A journalist snuck in by just walking past security. All he had to do was look the part then walk past check in. If you're a guard and you ID Check a billionaire shithead, you're done. So you think, what're the odds this is a trespasser versus someone who's supposed to be there? So you don't check. You just continue blending in with the wallpaper and letting it all be security theater.

Yeah, the most glaring weakpoint in any security system, no matter how advanced and automated, will always be the the humans attempting to operate it. It would be entirely believable that nobody ever bothered doing the actual paperwork formally suspending Lamplighter that would have him removed from the system. Especially since he was still technically on the rolls, if relegated to the black-ops facility.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Accretionist posted:

Hitman is real life confirmed

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

The fire alarm went off which turned on some emergency light on the inside of the room and gave here a place to pull juice :dice:

withak posted:

She draws power from electric lights, so the flashing emergency light in the otherwise dark room let her charge up enough to blow open the door.
Yup, I’m just bad at watching TV I guess. Should’ve remembered from the power draw from the car to cauterise Hughie.

Cor flippin’ eck guvnor dem Supes gone done blown their bleedin’ heads orf I reckon sport.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, I'm glad it's canon that his accent is genetic

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ethiser posted:

Kind of funny that Homelander made some good about how his kid is being raised. I'm assuming the kid is going to lead to his death however many seasons from now.

But we can all agree, no matter what, Ryan is just all around hosed, right? Like, no amount of therapy is going to fix all of that poo poo.

Keltar posted:

Whoever is doing the head popping is drat effective. Makes you wonder if it takes a moment to focus and make them pop or it's just quick as they want it done, could influence how they get taken down in the end.

Going to give the actress playing Ashley some credit, she's drat good in the role. I really liked how she was all business but as soon as Maeve told her to act like a loving human, she did. It's little touches like that which makes the show.

Agreed. Her role isn't flashy, so she'll never get as much notice, but the actress is killing it for what she's being asked to do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Why would Black Noir eat the candy bar and not spit it out? I get that Maeve is super strong and I guess she could just seive it through his teeth or something. But you'd think a supe wouldn't just let someone cram food in their mouth.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

"AMERICA SUCKERPUNCHED BY SUPER TERRORISTS" is a way better headline for Vought than anything that would have come out if that hearing went off as scheduled.

Yeah lol this is literally *exactly* the sort of poo poo Americans, both on a government and civilian level, eat up uncritically and it dovetails perfectly into the show's not-so-subtle critique of American imperialism and the post-War on Terror erosion of civil liberties.

Vought was about to get absolutely ripped apart in that hearing and now not only are the only people with enough info to hurt them gone, they get to spin it into a perfect justification to push forward with their original goal. Raynor, Vogelbaum, and Lamplighter were pretty much the only people who had knowledge that could put a dent in Vought's image and they're all dead now. The only people left are on the top of the FBI's most wanted list, a superhero that got publicly outed as a traitor and mole, and possibly a rogue supe that just escaped from what is on paper an asylum. Not a lot of credibility there and it pretty much leaves them with no option except violence.

Panfilo posted:

Why would Black Noir eat the candy bar and not spit it out? I get that Maeve is super strong and I guess she could just seive it through his teeth or something. But you'd think a supe wouldn't just let someone cram food in their mouth.

Probably just caught him off guard and when your head gets yanked back like that your natural reflex is to try to open up your airway, but if his allergy is really severe just having some almonds smashed into his teeth could still be plenty.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 2, 2020

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If I had the power of superspeed and people's heads started to spontaneously explode, I don't think I'd hang around.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lamplighter knew about them and he says it's the latter.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

If I had the power of superspeed and people's heads started to spontaneously explode, I don't think I'd hang around.

He looked scared and confused. Which is the appropriate response in that situation. Even Homelander just stood in place looking confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

She had him in a choke hold. He had to open his mouth to try to breathe. And like someone else said, if the allergy was bad enough just touching his teeth and lips might be enough.

I wonder how Maeve knew about his allergy. And what else she knows.