Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Metaline posted:

Dr. Jen Gunter implores you to save your money and use a normal TENS machine!

https://drjengunter.com/2016/05/24/livia-isnt-a-new-off-switch-for-period-pain-its-an-expensive-tens-unit/

There’s also a more recent Vice article about that company:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/pa7z49/livia-period-cramps-device-scam

*sobs* GO BACK TO POO ISLAND, YOU DREAM-POPPER!

(but for real, thanks for that.) I'm gonna chew on all these ideas.

Based on my last two periods, I think it's going to pretty much dry up and disappear, anyways. This new Mirena is a loving boss. I didn't even bother with period panties last time after the first day, and then it was gone by the fourth.

OH AND HOLY poo poo! I went to the supermarket and they were selling a menstrual cup for TEN LOUSY EUROS. I am unsure whether I want to try this out and report back or not, but seeing that certainly cheered me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

*sobs* GO BACK TO POO ISLAND, YOU DREAM-POPPER!

(but for real, thanks for that.) I'm gonna chew on all these ideas.

Based on my last two periods, I think it's going to pretty much dry up and disappear, anyways. This new Mirena is a loving boss. I didn't even bother with period panties last time after the first day, and then it was gone by the fourth.

OH AND HOLY poo poo! I went to the supermarket and they were selling a menstrual cup for TEN LOUSY EUROS. I am unsure whether I want to try this out and report back or not, but seeing that certainly cheered me up.

Yeah they sell cups here around that price, which is why I’ve been curious about em. Might go for it idk, if I get my period when I’m not at my boyfriends lest we end up with a surprise laundry day.

Thankfully he’s in and has been in too many black metal bands to count so the actual blood doesn’t bother him. Unexpected benefits!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Dr Jen commenter posted:

Specifically (and please bear with me), would the TENS unit “cook” your eggs, being that it uses electric currents for treatment?
Period pain relief and BC in one device? Sign me up :shepface:

The period pain device I want to see is, like, a heated buttplug. No, really. Or some kind of medical butthole massager. Non-sexual. My butt just hurts, okay?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Tjadeth posted:

one time I read an article that said the reason humans get periods when most animals don't is because human embryos are more deeply implanted in the host's body, cause more complications, and are more prone to abnormalities, so the uterus wants to create a hostile environment for newly-fertilized eggs to make drat sure the mediocre ones get flushed

this characterization makes me feel better about my periods because while I still don't particularly want a uterus it at least feels more like we're on the same page vis-a-vis violently rejecting potential pregnancies

would be nice if I could let it know there's no chance of me being pregnant and it can chill, though

When I was looking to get pregnant I read that one of the reasons why it can take up to a year for a woman to get pregnant even when her and her partner are healthy and fertility-issue free is that the woman's immune system may attack sperm like it's a invading pathogen.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Zoesdare posted:

Apparently in Arizona you can’t stock nexplanon? I have to wait two weeks and answer mystery number phone calls in case the dispensing pharmacy calls to verify that I do in fact want this implant before they send it to my HCP.

I'm in AZ and I legit had to lie back in like 09 to get an IUD placed (wore a fake engagement ring, simpered that my fiance didn't want kids right away)

not surprised it isn't stocked, gently caress our lovely state

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I feel like I have definitely heard of and read about women who were allergic or something like that to semen.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
How the last hour has gone:

- Man I'm starting to feel chills and just generally lovely, I hope I'm not getting sick
- *check clue app* hmmm, I'm at 31 days. Period has gotta start soon.
- *gurgle* oh hey my stomach is kinda upset
-*PERIOD STARTS*
-*CRAAAAAAAAAAAAMPS*
-*furiously ordering chocolate on amazon prime*

I'm so tired and I feel like crying at dumb poo poo.

Definitely going to spend tonight watching trash tv and comfort eating.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

a pussy so dry, ben shapiro will cry (tears of cum from his penis)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else get the urge to just bite and tear at your nails right before your period? I haven't bitten my nails in loving years from stress, but every month it's like one of you bastards is gonna go.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else get the urge to just bite and tear at your nails right before your period? I haven't bitten my nails in loving years from stress, but every month it's like one of you bastards is gonna go.

:rip: that pinky nail. Littler dude didn't even see it coming.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

My cuticles are already poo poo but they turn into an absolute mess around my period.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I should make a menopause thread and post in it constantly lol

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Post that little flamethrower smilie. :hotflash:
Though those finally stopped after like 3 years

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

As the father of a 12-year-old girl I just wanted to say “thank you” for the insight into menstruation that this thread provides. She has a mom and step-mom to talk with too, but I feel like I have a better understanding of her plight now as well.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Ahh the post period anxiety spike, how I loathe you. Way better than pre-Mirena though.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

As the father of a 12-year-old girl I just wanted to say “thank you” for the insight into menstruation that this thread provides. She has a mom and step-mom to talk with too, but I feel like I have a better understanding of her plight now as well.

It also can be not really bad at all besides, you know, gross and awkward. For example I was lucky enough to really not have bad bad cramps more than just a couple of times ever. I recommend being really matter of fact and not saying to a young girl that it's for sure going to be like awful and painful.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Ahh the post period anxiety spike, how I loathe you. Way better than pre-Mirena though.

Yes! I got this Sunday night. It felt like I was being followed by a loving, like, lich or something for four hours. Just vibrating inside and feeling this heavy sense of dread all evening.

And then my period started lmao

It was so heavy yesterday and today when I took a hot bath I turned the water pink. When I went to empty my Diva cup after a call with a student that lasted 30 minutes, it was so full it splashed all over the toilet seat when I removed it, like a goddamn water balloon bursting when it gets poked.

I had emptied it maybe 5 minutes before I started the call.

Also, WHY does it HAVE TO FEEL like my PELVIC BONES are being SMASHED with a HAMMER? I AM IN A CONSTANT STATE OF DISCOMFORT. I couldn't sleep last night because the cramping was so bad it kept waking me up, despite taking pain medicine. The heating pad did a lot but it turns off automatically after two hours as a safety feature 😭

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I got a "dreamland ceramic heat pod" a few years ago, it's hot-water-bottle sized, and you plug it in for 5 minutes and then it stays hot for 2-4 hours. I don't understand why they stopped selling it because it's amazing and I rely on it a lot and would legitimately buy them as gifts for people if it was still avaliable.

I've seen reccomendations, if it's predictable, to take ibproufen before your period starts for a couple of days, to kinda build it up in your system and lessen the flow.
https://www.insider.com/gynecologists-say-ibuprofen-can-lessen-menstrual-flow-2020-1 here's a random article.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Why y’all not using regular hot water bottles? A hwb takes 5 minutes to make, has no annoying safety features (if I want to put boiling water on my rear end I WILL), and lasts a really long time. Is this an “Americans don’t have kettles” thing

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm from the UK, it lives on my bed, when I need it I plug the wire in and 5 minutes later it goes CLICK and I unplug it. Also it literally gets too hot to touch without the cover, which is neat and I suspect the reason they stopped making it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hot water bottles are kind of a thing in the US, but like, an older person thing. I found one on a lark in a TJ Maxx and use it occasionally. Electric heating pads work way better for myself.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have the squishy gel bead thing you can microwave (or freeze). It's fun to squish.

I also have a question! I hadn't had a period since college due to my wonderful birth control, but it ran out thanks to the coronavirus and I'm full Carrie again. Have tampons changed in my absence or am I buying the wrong brand? I thought I remembered Tampax Pearl was good, but it doesn't open up 360°? It just wants to turn into a rectangle, but then the two sides can't open much plus there's nothing blocking the blood from where the sides aren't??

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

putting a hot thing on my body when I'm cramping sounds like torture

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I need hot as I can stand baths to feel nice again.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Skratte posted:

putting a hot thing on my body when I'm cramping sounds like torture

That's because it is! At least in my experience.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Why y’all not using regular hot water bottles? A hwb takes 5 minutes to make, has no annoying safety features (if I want to put boiling water on my rear end I WILL), and lasts a really long time. Is this an “Americans don’t have kettles” thing

They're definitely less common here, at least compared to the UK, and I have to imagine the kettle thing is a big part of it. Even for people who do have an electric kettle, it takes longer for ours to come to a boil because of how our electricity's set up.

It's more convenient and quicker for me to plug in a heating pad (or tempt a cat to sit on my lap).

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Anne Whateley posted:

I have the squishy gel bead thing you can microwave (or freeze). It's fun to squish.

I also have a question! I hadn't had a period since college due to my wonderful birth control, but it ran out thanks to the coronavirus and I'm full Carrie again. Have tampons changed in my absence or am I buying the wrong brand? I thought I remembered Tampax Pearl was good, but it doesn't open up 360°? It just wants to turn into a rectangle, but then the two sides can't open much plus there's nothing blocking the blood from where the sides aren't??

I hate the Pearl, they don't seem to really expand like you said. And, it has no last minute protection at the bottom.

They have gotten harder to find where I live, but I think the Tampax with cardboard applicators are way better. Still kinda rectangular, but does expand on all sides, plus has the little leak protection frill at the bottom.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm from the UK, it lives on my bed, when I need it I plug the wire in and 5 minutes later it goes CLICK and I unplug it. Also it literally gets too hot to touch without the cover, which is neat and I suspect the reason they stopped making it.

Huh, okay, this does sound quite good tbf if it gets proper hot.

I also don’t like tampax pearl. The applicator is awkward and fails more often than regular tampax.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Mercury Hat posted:

They're definitely less common here, at least compared to the UK, and I have to imagine the kettle thing is a big part of it. Even for people who do have an electric kettle, it takes longer for ours to come to a boil because of how our electricity's set up.

It's more convenient and quicker for me to plug in a heating pad (or tempt a cat to sit on my lap).

Cat warmth has added bonus of soft cat which when I'm a puddle of emotions is VERY useful

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I don't know how people live without a hot water bottle.

Even for non period stuff - currently nestled up with one because I'm cold and my back aches.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Hwbs and hot pads just don't do anything for me. I'm still in pain, I'm still vomiting, I still need to take an hour long poo poo, but now I'm hot. There is no appeal.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Enfys posted:

I don't know how people live without a hot water bottle.
Even for non period stuff - currently nestled up with one because I'm cold and my back aches.

Slightly o/t but you've all just reminded me of the hot water bottles I got when I was staying with my grandmother as a very small Pookah. They were earthenware flask-thingys with a tap at the top, and which would burn the absolute crap out of your feet if you actually touched them directly. They did keep the bed toasty warm all night. I love my super-modern rubber bag hot water bottle, even though my Grandma probably would have thought them dangerously futuristic :3:

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I put a small folded dish towel in a Ziploc, add water until just past damp, some lavender oil and nuke it for a minute, works great for all heat required treatments

I used to have a heating pad, but I also own rabbits, so the cord was assassinated. Rabbits unfortunately do not double as cuddly warmth sources.

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
I have a small long cushion full of wheat or rice or something that I microwave for a couple of minutes and it stays nice and warm. It's supposed to go around your neck, but is fine for any other achey areas.

I'm having a nightmare of a period at the moment. So much so that I've got a doctor appointment monday morning. It started on the 14th in a grand explosion of activity. Alright, I haven't had a proper one in years, and they used to be very heavy to start and then a day or two later they calm down to nothing. It's now the 25th. It is still going strong and heavy. I've been emptying my mooncup every two hours for the last ten days, even through the night, and I'm still bleeding all over the place. With my terrible maths I've lost around a litre of blood and lining and whatever the heck is up there. It shows no sign of stopping. I'm so tired. I'm super pale and my lips keeps getting a blue tinge to them every so often. I feel dead.

Once this is over I never want to bleed again!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Mesimean posted:

I have a small long cushion full of wheat or rice or something that I microwave for a couple of minutes and it stays nice and warm. It's supposed to go around your neck, but is fine for any other achey areas.

I'm having a nightmare of a period at the moment. So much so that I've got a doctor appointment monday morning. It started on the 14th in a grand explosion of activity. Alright, I haven't had a proper one in years, and they used to be very heavy to start and then a day or two later they calm down to nothing. It's now the 25th. It is still going strong and heavy. I've been emptying my mooncup every two hours for the last ten days, even through the night, and I'm still bleeding all over the place. With my terrible maths I've lost around a litre of blood and lining and whatever the heck is up there. It shows no sign of stopping. I'm so tired. I'm super pale and my lips keeps getting a blue tinge to them every so often. I feel dead.

Once this is over I never want to bleed again!

The one time I had a "period" like that it turned out to be a missed abortion, so maybe go to an ER?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

"Why do I feel like such complete and utter poo poo today?"

"ah, that's why."

It was a nice two weeks. gently caress this thing.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Nexplanon update, they called and made me send in a form and now another two weeks?

Arizona is bullshit.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

My bleeding stopped for two days and then started again. So far, I have had a 14 day bleed. Cool.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Not having much of an actual period, but being crippled by endometrial backpain for the week before said period? Just awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve been weirdly homesick and craving red meat and weeping to the Beatles. A storm approaches.

don longjohns posted:

My bleeding stopped for two days and then started again. So far, I have had a 14 day bleed. Cool.

love and light to you, that sounds like hell