Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

sfwarlock posted:

Because "there's always some improvement to make, are you saying this process is perfect?"

and because Laidback Larry has set a goal for us of cutting down the time by 10%

I'm going to assume that all the time dicking around with talking about a process doesn't factor into this time saving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

Well that means the next why is "why do you think that a 10% reduction in time here will offset all the time spent reaching that reduction?" and at a certain point you just point to the wiki page for diminishing returns and get him to explain why that doesn't apply in that situation.

You are assuming this is anything more rhan "Laidback" Larry setting an impossible goal and saying that it needs to be achieved or else

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Make like the Warner Brothers animators and add in steps that obviously get taken out so your other ones survive, like how they got so many jokes past the censors.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A ticket came in:

quote:

A couple of weeks ago a bunch of updates were done overnight on my computer. A few days later the same on my laptop. My laptop is just fine, however my desktop is now a mess. Instead of Office 2016 it has reverted to Office 2013, and Outlook is now Outlook 365 and it sucks. Can we please get me back to Office 2016?

...you just have to laugh. Sure dude. Sure.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Super Soaker Party! posted:

A ticket came in:

Sounds like something told 2016 to uninstall, and 2013 was still present and for some reason is taking priority over 365 for opening most docs and excel files.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

You are assuming this is anything more rhan "Laidback" Larry setting an impossible goal and saying that it needs to be achieved or else
Nope, I'm assuming that's exactly what the problem is and giving Ben enough rope to hang himself with. Malicious compliance the problem to death.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thomamelas posted:

The second one is kind of a bad idea. You'll get a segment of the population who will do 1A but not 1B. It condenses things but it's one of those things that bites you in the rear end later.

Also, you will teach them that they were right to demand this, and they will just learn to make similar demands in the future.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

guppy posted:

Also, you will teach them that they were right to demand this, and they will just learn to make similar demands in the future.

Good points all. Teach me for making a smirky response.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

'Step 6: Reboot and wait 15 minutes'

Little punk tried to throw me under the bus.

Ben tested this at five minutes. It worked once. He emailed Larry and me that we had cut ten minutes off.

First I'd heard of it, so I asked him how many tests. He said one. I said not good enough, go back and test some more, yes, I know, it takes a while, stop whining. (Thankfully, this was over Slack.)

Later on, he sends out another email "warlock and I thought that five was good enough, but after I went and did some more testing, I proved to him that it wasn't, it really only works about a third of the time. Please disregard previous email."

Larry replies, "Good, Ben, I'm glad to hear you're going the extra mile and keeping (warlock) under control. Remember, 'progress' is also ruling out the approaches that won't work!"

I just replied with a screenshot of the previous slack conversation.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sfwarlock posted:

Ben tested this at five minutes. It worked once. He emailed Larry and me that we had cut ten minutes off.

First I'd heard of it, so I asked him how many tests. He said one. I said not good enough, go back and test some more, yes, I know, it takes a while, stop whining. (Thankfully, this was over Slack.)

Later on, he sends out another email "warlock and I thought that five was good enough, but after I went and did some more testing, I proved to him that it wasn't, it really only works about a third of the time. Please disregard previous email."

Larry replies, "Good, Ben, I'm glad to hear you're going the extra mile and keeping (warlock) under control. Remember, 'progress' is also ruling out the approaches that won't work!"

lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That environment is toxic, Ben and Larry see their role as taking shits on you. The only answer is to murder one or both of them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Dear Ben-

Don’t ever let me catch you alone in a room with no cameras. Ever.

Thanks Ants posted:

That environment is toxic, Ben and Larry see their role as taking shits on you. The only answer is to murder one orboth of them.

Like Lieutenant Hanna said in “Heat”:

quote:

Once it escalated into a murder one beef after they killed the first, they didn't hesitate. Popped guard number three because... what difference does it make? Why leave a living witness?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

WE GOT HIM!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Agrikk posted:

Like Lieutenant Hanna said in “Heat”:

I need to watch that again, thanks for the reminder. I just viewed To Live and Die in LA again on the plane a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it, Heat is in the same vein for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sfwarlock posted:

Rope.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sfwarlock posted:

:killing:

In related news, the head bitch in our financial group appears to have it in for me, as today she ran screaming to my boss^3 over someone's computer "not being set up right" and blaming me.

This is the third complaint in as many weeks over things that I didn't actually do or mess up on - someone else on our team made the new user's account and failed to add them to any AD groups at all.

I'm now no longer taking tickets or responding to emails from financial, with my boss' blessing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

sfwarlock posted:

Oooh, gently caress both of those guys to hell and back.

This is a great way to ensure that I NEVER do anything other than the absolute minimum requirement for you ever again.

As has been mentioned before, malicious compliance and nothing else, ever.

Ticket/CR requirements. Strict SLA enforcement (IDGAF if it takes 10 seconds to do, if it's a 3 business day SLA, it gets done 10 seconds before that expires, no exceptions).

Just loving gently caress gently caress those guys.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Omfg this spammer strategy to confirm if an email address on their lists is still valid is brilliant

A ticket came in posted:

Getting bizarre emails… can you block this address?

Subject: A burglar broke into a home...

Dear $HighLevelPerson,

He heard a soft voice say, "Jesus is watching you". Thinking it was his imagination, he continued his search. Again "Jesus is watching you" He turned his flashlight around, saw a parrot in a cage. He asked the parrot if he was the one talking. The parrot said, "Yes". He asked the parrot his name. The parrot said Moses. The burglar asked, "What kind of people would name a parrot Moses?" The parrot said "The same kind of people who would name their Pit Bull Jesus". e: to the people writing that it's an old joke....I don't give a poo poo.

To unsubscribe, reply to this email with the text "Unsubscribe"

Tell the lamest boomer joke you can find from the middle of a cheap joke book from the 70's, so unpalatable that they convince you to reply to the email with "Unsubscribe"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I suppose this explains the outage that lasted all day.

Welding damage :gonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

chin up everything sucks posted:

Sounds like something told 2016 to uninstall, and 2013 was still present and for some reason is taking priority over 365 for opening most docs and excel files.
Office installs will fail if there's any component of a different version of Office on the system, so if you want to upgrade to Office 365 you can't get away with keeping your old perpetual Visio 2016 license and have to upgrade that too. I would assume the user is all on O365 now and just thinks it's Office 2013 for some reason.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

trying to hit uninstall on 2020 but nothing happens

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

trying to hit uninstall on 2020 but nothing happens

Did you remember to back-up the system libraries before implementing 2020? If not you might be able to grab them from an alternate 2020 install. You'll definitely need root credentials.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Proteus Jones posted:

Did you remember to back-up the system libraries before implementing 2020? If not you might be able to grab them from an alternate 2020 install. You'll definitely need root credentials.

The malware protection seems to have finally quarantined a genuine positive hit at least.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oooh, gently caress both of those guys to hell and back.

Eh, gently caress Ben, but Larry got a little less laidback; from what I heard he came down on Ben like a ton of ... of.. rectangular building things.

Fri 4:32 pm Ben: Hey man, why'd you have to do me like that?
Fri 4:36 pm me: You did ME like that FIRST.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

Eh, gently caress Ben, but Larry got a little less laidback; from what I heard he came down on Ben like a ton of ... of.. rectangular building things.

Oooh, there's that reaping/sowing thing again. Ben may be about to learn a valuable lesson.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

2020 has seen the denouement of the long-running larchesdanrew saga, and has brought us one saga from sfwarlock (for which this thread has been renamed), and now another one from sfwarlock. As long as our job security is guaranteed by idiots with technology, we'll never run out of sagas.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

2020 has seen the denouement of the long-running larchesdanrew saga, and has brought us one saga from sfwarlock (for which this thread has been renamed), and now another one from sfwarlock. As long as our job security is guaranteed by idiots with technology, we'll never run out of sagas.

I can't wait for the technology itself to be the idiot we have to deal with

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Um, did you miss Monday?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RFC2324 posted:

Printers are still a thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

why does ben expect any loyalty from you?? he caused the problem in the first place and then tried to blame poo poo you absolutely did not do on you

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zereth posted:

why does ben expect any loyalty from you?? he caused the problem in the first place and then tried to blame poo poo you absolutely did not do on you

Narcissism.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

sfwarlock posted:

Thank god. I thought this was going to go the other way, with Ben untouchable no matter how dumb the things he did are and you blamed for not being a team player or something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

wa27 posted:

Look, it's Office 365, not Office 366. This is to be expected in leap years.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A ticket came in:

This guy (who is in his 60s and one of our crankiest users, generally speaking, so this is not surprising), has DOUBLED THE gently caress DOWN.

quote:

It still opens Outlook 365, which is a stupid program.

quote:

Every time I open a Microsoft product (Outlook, Excel Word, etc.) They come up as Office 365, which is a program for idiots. I want Office 2016 on my desktop again.

quote:

Here's what's ticking me off: on the 2016 version I could take a photo on my phone and email it to myself, right click and select "save picture as" and save it to my desktop. Office 365 doesn't give me the option and I have to send the picture to my laptop to do that.

quote:

I don't care. The fact is I'm only getting 365 when I open programs, and they suck.

quote:

When I open Excel I get these stupid tabs that are tutorials to help me start a spreadsheet. I know how to open a spreadsheet. 2016 never did that. And it doesn't do that on my laptop which still lists Excel. Outlook, etc as Office 2016. I hate this supposed upgrade. It is limiting.

I will be in the office around 8:30 tomorrow morning and look forward to getting rid of this crappy program.

Our responses so far have essentially been as calm as possible trying to get across that "Office 365" is a cosmetic change over Office 2016, or 2019 technically, and that there is no actual difference.

At this point I'm essentially baiting the guy by continuing to respond with helpful fixes to the things he's complaining about, so the last response I just sent basically walked him through how to change the start behavior in Excel and Word not to show the start screen (I gotta be honest, this is somewhat our fault in that we had a GPO for 2016 that prevented the start screen and I think we just got lazy and didn't update it for 365 so basically he's seeing different behavior than he had before, but as usual with this guy he flies completely off the handle about such things instead of being remotely polite about it, and literally no one else at this client has complained). The reality is 365's not going away buddy, so you just keep yelling at those clouds and I'll continue to offer helpful answers to the "problems" you actually mention. For everything else there's Mastergofuckyourself.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

so you just keep yelling at those clouds

The cloud.

He's yelling at the cloud.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

sfwarlock posted:

lol that he tried to embussen you for just reporting things as they occur.

I have a good indicator of what side of the aisle he leans toward politically after that message.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Theswarms posted:

The cloud.

He's yelling at the cloud.
:cloud:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This guy (who is in his 60s and one of our crankiest users, generally speaking, so this is not surprising), has DOUBLED THE gently caress DOWN.

Our responses so far have essentially been as calm as possible trying to get across that "Office 365" is a cosmetic change over Office 2016, or 2019 technically, and that there is no actual difference.

At this point I'm essentially baiting the guy by continuing to respond with helpful fixes to the things he's complaining about, so the last response I just sent basically walked him through how to change the start behavior in Excel and Word not to show the start screen (I gotta be honest, this is somewhat our fault in that we had a GPO for 2016 that prevented the start screen and I think we just got lazy and didn't update it for 365 so basically he's seeing different behavior than he had before, but as usual with this guy he flies completely off the handle about such things instead of being remotely polite about it, and literally no one else at this client has complained). The reality is 365's not going away buddy, so you just keep yelling at those clouds and I'll continue to offer helpful answers to the "problems" you actually mention. For everything else there's Mastergofuckyourself.
Is this guy's management involved in this yet?

I think at this point I'd be recommend he go to a basic O365 training course, preferably one of the week-long ones :getin:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Malicious compliance via suggesting training courses is one of my favourite ways to get people to put some effort in, or to at least get off my back. After a few instances of being asked very basic questions that are in the documentation I will recommend that people attend a training course and that usually solves the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cloud don't care :yaybutt: