Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

They missed a big joke by just having Gove as Pob.
They missed a lot of jokes tbf

169 is the sex with Michael Gove watching number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Skeletome posted:

wait what's this?

I googled it, and didn't get past the little text preview google gives you

Jesus christ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Half of them read like Tory policies for 2024.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Olpainless posted:

UKMT, I'd like some advice!

I'm now the support staff representative on the governing board of the college i work at (confirmed in 2 weeks) , and I'm j just wondering if anyone has any advice for me to be the best I can be, especially when it comes to raising anything my colleagues might say or want to bring to attention - without also stepping on the union rep toes.

I also realise that I'm probably automatically due the guillotine now.

Some extremely generic advice on how to be a good rep:

- Don't say "Any problems, come and see me" - you're instantly distancing yourself, saying that like the Oracle, people must make the pilgrimage to you. If there's a break room or a canteen or something, make it a point to plot up there on the same day at the same time once a week, make sure everyone know you're there if they fancy a chat, otherwise just generally try to be engaged. I know it's anathema to the Goon Way, but put yourself about a bit, make sure you eat lunch/take breaks with as many different people as possible.

- *Never* promise to deal with something unless you are absolutely, 1000% certain it's something within your ability and power to deal with. Nothing more completely shatters trust and engagement than that. It'll feel lovely the first time someone comes to you with a problem and you have to tell them that there's nothing you can do to help them (fortunately in most cases you can pass them on to the union rep, but don't just fob them off - go with them and be their champion, because some union reps are lovely, some are okay, and some are good but maybe just don't quite grasp the problem). If (as is mostly the case) the only action you can take is to raise it at the next meeting, make sure you do, and make sure you report back to the person as soon as possible with the results. Make sure you've got the person's blessing to raise it if the complaint is individual enough to identify them.

- Don't ever spread GOOD NEWS about stuff the company is doing. You're there to represent the staff to the company, not vice versa, and that GOOD NEWS normally masks something seriously loving lovely.

- At the board meetings, assuming there's a fixed agenda, make sure you and your people are on it, and never say "Nope, nothing to report". You don't have to lie, or even flannel - even in the very best case scenario you can say something like "Everyone seems to be fairly happy at the moment, because of/despite of <x>" where <x> is whatever the issue du jour is at the moment. Have written notes (keep a separate notebook for this and for fucks sake don't let it get lost) of the issues you wish to raise, and make sure you note anything important that comes up. If the meetings are minuted, READ THE MINUTES LIKE A loving HAWK. The person taking the minutes has volunteered for that job, and almost inevitably have done so to suck up to the upper echelons, and so *will* massage what was said into something that's more acceptable for them. Also just as above never accept an action that it's outside of your power to deliver.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol he missed an event on the phone today and then this

https://twitter.com/SVNewsAlerts/status/1312123248172167169
https://twitter.com/LisaMirandoCNN/status/1312120315242147840

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh good, every loving idiot on the internet will be claiming what magic treatment he's on.

He's on Ultraviolet Blood Irradiation and The Simple Plant Isoquinolines! :byodood:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

lmao Jesus Christ he's gonna poison himself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Oh good, every loving idiot on the internet will be claiming what magic treatment he's on.

He's on Ultraviolet Blood Irradiation and The Simple Plant Isoquinolines! :byodood:

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1312123496902782976?s=20

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

It’s like the origin story for some lovely supervillain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There not telling the truth! *sticks a whole box of zantac and a bar of zinc up rear end*

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Skeletome posted:

wait what's this?

:nms:https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/list-of-prohibited-games?language=en_US:nms:

mostly it's generic hentai poo poo but there are a couple of things on there which I don't even want to think about their subject matter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/stokel/status/1312039026979934208?s=20

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some extremely generic advice on how to be a good rep:

- Don't say "Any problems, come and see me" - you're instantly distancing yourself, saying that like the Oracle, people must make the pilgrimage to you. If there's a break room or a canteen or something, make it a point to plot up there on the same day at the same time once a week, make sure everyone know you're there if they fancy a chat, otherwise just generally try to be engaged. I know it's anathema to the Goon Way, but put yourself about a bit, make sure you eat lunch/take breaks with as many different people as possible.

- *Never* promise to deal with something unless you are absolutely, 1000% certain it's something within your ability and power to deal with. Nothing more completely shatters trust and engagement than that. It'll feel lovely the first time someone comes to you with a problem and you have to tell them that there's nothing you can do to help them (fortunately in most cases you can pass them on to the union rep, but don't just fob them off - go with them and be their champion, because some union reps are lovely, some are okay, and some are good but maybe just don't quite grasp the problem). If (as is mostly the case) the only action you can take is to raise it at the next meeting, make sure you do, and make sure you report back to the person as soon as possible with the results. Make sure you've got the person's blessing to raise it if the complaint is individual enough to identify them.

- Don't ever spread GOOD NEWS about stuff the company is doing. You're there to represent the staff to the company, not vice versa, and that GOOD NEWS normally masks something seriously loving lovely.

- At the board meetings, assuming there's a fixed agenda, make sure you and your people are on it, and never say "Nope, nothing to report". You don't have to lie, or even flannel - even in the very best case scenario you can say something like "Everyone seems to be fairly happy at the moment, because of/despite of <x>" where <x> is whatever the issue du jour is at the moment. Have written notes (keep a separate notebook for this and for fucks sake don't let it get lost) of the issues you wish to raise, and make sure you note anything important that comes up. If the meetings are minuted, READ THE MINUTES LIKE A loving HAWK. The person taking the minutes has volunteered for that job, and almost inevitably have done so to suck up to the upper echelons, and so *will* massage what was said into something that's more acceptable for them. Also just as above never accept an action that it's outside of your power to deliver.

This helps a lot. Thank you!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

:nms:https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/list-of-prohibited-games?language=en_US:nms:

mostly it's generic hentai poo poo but there are a couple of things on there which I don't even want to think about their subject matter

That particular one towards the end you have to think someone went to prison for that one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bessantj posted:

That particular one towards the end you have to think someone went to prison for that one.

Yeah I'd be quite surprised if no-one has gone to prison over Second Life.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah I'd be quite surprised if no-one has gone to prison over Second Life.

Quite a few years ago I worked with a guy who ended up making a ton of cash from Second Life, did a lot of clothing mods.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Trump is guzzling toilet duck rn

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Trump taken to hospital after testing positive https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54396670

Civil war incoming.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if a militia tries to storm the hospital, believing he's there against his will and all that :laugh:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

quote:

He received a cocktail of drugs as a "precautionary measure", the White House said, and was feeling "fatigued but in good spirits".

lmao they're gonna explode his fuckin heart

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If your drugs cocktail doesn’t leave you fatigued but in good spirits it’s time to get a new dealer IMO

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

crispix posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if a militia tries to storm the hospital, believing he's there against his will and all that :laugh:

Imagine the Secret Service having to deal with that poo poo, christ

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

c0burn posted:

Imagine the Secret Service having to deal with that poo poo, christ

New Olympus Has Fallen sequel off to a great start.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

I unironically love those stupid films

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

It just occurred to me that Trump will never let himself be put on a ventilator or otherwise sedated because he'd have to write a letter to Nancy Pelosi saying he was unable to discharge the duties of the Presidency and there's literally no way he would ever, ever do that.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I tried playing Grezzo once in a doom wad induced haze and let me just say its hard to wrap your head around just how mind-bogglingly racist it is

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He's gonna die.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The real question is whether he's lucid enough to request and receive mad quack bullshit, because if not, then White House physicians are usually amongst the best in the world (on account of the many bizarre and exotic threats to their health a president will typically have to face) and his personal physician is a decorated Navy doctor. In other words, the more obviously unwell he is (above the admittedly high Donald Trump baseline), the better the treatment he'll be getting.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

I prefer the original

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Maybe he can pull a Jordan Peterson and turn himself into a full-on vegetable instead of merely being on the road to becoming one.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

I like the little right wing prop at the end that the problem with Gove-esque white old men spouting specific economic data is that it's boring, rather than that they're literally always misrepresenting/cherrypicking data points to lie that peoples living standards aren't falling. Like superficially the skit is gently critical of the tories but on the most important point it implicitly supports them, it's still pushing the perpetual background message of 'the tories are clever and good on the economy'.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

The media are forever pushing the narrative that the centre right “won” the economic argument years ago and it loving infuriates me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st October 2020 :siren:

Apply: 
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.
I swear there used to be a thread for this, but I think I might need to apply. Not sure if it's appropriate.

The reason why is because the wife and I are moving. It's happened a LOT sooner than either of us thought it would, but we're going to struggle after the move because our finances really aren't ready.

To cut an even longer story short, we currently live with my sister in law in the house my wife and her inherited when their mum died quite young of cancer. The sister in law is extremely loud and very disorganised. We also have a oval office of a neighbour who plays music extremely loud during the day and rents out his rooms to people who slam cupboard doors all night.

I have autism and have been in very bad mental health for the last few years and have been unable to work. Being a mental health issue, I can't face jumping through ATOS' hoops, so have been claiming zero benefits. Technically I'm self employed so that they'll leave me alone, but thanks to the neighbour, sister in law, RSI, starlings in the roof and my mental state, I make about £5 to £10 a month in residuals from amazon smut and have done so for the last 7 or 8 years.

I was supposed to be doing an MA remotely and would have had a little spare cash from the loan, but can't get a reply from anyone at the uni about remote study so am probably going to have to cancel that.

Moving out will be a huge reduction in mental & emotional burden for me, not just in terms of not having the sister in law or neighbour, but we have specifically chosen a place with rooms mostly on the non-adjoining wall, and a small room for me to set up a home working desk in.

I'm looking forward to doing audiobook work without noise in the background, learning to code, and maybe starting a fiction podcast with a friend. I think once we're in there I can actually be productive and pay my way.

We can only afford the house we want because the sister in law was able to get a mortgage to buy out our half of the current house, which we're using as a deposit. The wife's pay allows a small mortage for the rest (which on its own *might* have paid for a small flat). This on top of the stamp duty freeze has given us a small window of opportunity which we've had to jump through before it disappears.

The problem is, my wife is taking a shitload of overtime to pay for things like the solicitor's fees, the survey, and a badly timed MOT, and I feel so guilty not being able to help or contribute. Tonight for example she came home and was awake for maybe two hours including me making dinner before falling asleep. She's working longer shifts and going in on her days off to try and pay for everything, and I just feel wretched.

I don't even really know how much I'd need to ask for, but it's more than I could feasibly make quickly selling stuff on eBay. I also kind of feel like I'm taking the piss asking, because I'm in a really privelaged place being able to buy a house at all. I'm not going to say lucky because it's taken the death of a parent and a global pandemic to get to the point that everyone should have the right to be at. It's a really weird situation because hundreds of thousands of pounds are being spent but it's the £500 or so in surprise fees that's loving us up.

But I still feel weird even bringing it up. I've spent the last day or so writing, revising, cancelling and then re-revising this post because I'm really not sure if it's ok to even ask for help with this. I don't know.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ObamaAkbar. posted:

The media are forever pushing the narrative that the centre right “won” the economic argument years ago and it loving infuriates me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
In less grim news, IDLES managed to get ULTRA MONO straight in to number one in the album charts. Yes, the charts kind of mean nothing but a band with very little mainstream radio play getting straight to the top slot is pretty drat impressive. Now if we could have some decent loving leadership that would allow live music to start happening again soon, that would also be great

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope you don't mean some kind of local lockdowns at entry points with some kind of Environmental Monitoring and Assessment activation from February with some hypothetical PPE advice and widely developed tracing system appearing in March, because that sounds wildly unreasonable.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

ronya posted:

in mildly amusing trivia: Pankaj Mishra (From the Ruins of Empire) is David Cameron's cousin-in-law

I know it's not the point at all, but there's something so incredibly UKMT about ronya pointing out that an apparently anti imperialist author is DCFADP's cousin

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hell loving yes invincible drug fuelled trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Looks like Jo Johnson