Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
No Time to Die delayed until April 2. Lots of time to kill here I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just picked up the Craig films in 4K because I finally took the plunge and upgraded. Was kinda looking forward to rewatching them before the new one but it looks like there’s plenty of time to do it now! Probably for the best.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My first Bond film was Oh Her Majesty's Secret Service. ABC used to show the Bond movies all the time, either as a Saturday or Sunday night movie.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I'm very glad about this - I'm always excited to see a Bond movie in theaters and I really did not want to go to one any time soon.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Haven't seen official confirmation of it, but 'No Time to Die' getting moved seems like it was the final straw that made Regal close down, at least for a while.
Cineworld Chain, Owner Of U.S. Regal, Closing Cinemas In Wake Of ‘No Time To Die’ Postponement

quote:

In response to MGM’s No Time to Die moving out of the Thanksgiving corridor to Easter weekend 2021, plus the overall lack of studio tentpoles, Cineworld is closing down 128 of its UK and Ireland cinemas as well as its U.S. Regal chain as of next week according to reports.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn't No Time to Die just essentially the same title as Die Another Day? Very low energy nomenclature here.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vir posted:

Haven't seen official confirmation of it, but 'No Time to Die' getting moved seems like it was the final straw that made Regal close down, at least for a while.
Cineworld Chain, Owner Of U.S. Regal, Closing Cinemas In Wake Of ‘No Time To Die’ Postponement

Yeah cineworld will be back up in april. Furlough scheme probably wont still be on so that sucks for the staff. Theyll probably freeze my cineworld card again until then like they did during lockdown. They only started the payments up this week tho lol. Thinking of going in to see bill and ted before they temp close tho.

Do find it funny everyone on twitter thinks its a perma closing and thus the death of cinema. If bond gets push back again i can see a few locations closing perma tho.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Uncle Lloyd posted:

But but but bond movies always come out in November :mad:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't No Time to Die just essentially the same title as Die Another Day? Very low energy nomenclature here.

Yeah, it's such a limp title. It desperately needs some Italo-gonzo punctuation punch: No, Mr Bond! It's Time to Die! etc.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've not seen every Bond so I started a Bond watch through in prep for NttD. I just finished Goldfinger and god drat that movie absolutely owns. Dr No was fun and low key, From Russia With Love was great but chunks of it felt superfluous. Goldfinger was just chef kiss worthy though.

My favorite has been The Living Daylights for a long time, but I haven't seen it in years so once I power through the Moores it'll be interesting seeing it again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Living Daylights still rules. Favourite Bond car and one of the best car chases in the whole series

Movie has a weird ending though. Everytime I watch the plane scene and it ends with them driving to Karachi and Bond saying he knows a great restaurant I'm like "ah, perfect way to finish off th-- oh, right, there's still a whole other villain to take down."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just did a TimmyD marathon yesterday and one of the guys I was with said that Daylights was terrible!
Needless to say he's, not my friend anymore...

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

exquisite tea posted:

tomorrow never dies

and that exchange in twine calling back to ohmss was fun

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
How come the first half of hour of Thunderball has Bond chilling in a health clinic??? I hope this gets good :ohdear: The opening theme by Tom Jones didn't give me good vibes.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

How come the first half of hour of Thunderball has Bond chilling in a health clinic??? I hope this gets good :ohdear: The opening theme by Tom Jones didn't give me good vibes.

Start watching for the rape/blackmail of the clinic nurse, stay for the 3+ hours of slow underwater fighting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

He's there recuperating from his last mission. I forget if it was supposed to be right after Goldfinger or some other mission he was on in between.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lobok posted:

He's there recuperating from his last mission. I forget if it was supposed to be right after Goldfinger or some other mission he was on in between.

He’s smoking and drinking too much so he’s been sent to a health clinic to pass his physicals. The book details his health report and the guy is basically a permanent walking hangover using coffee and more cigarettes to keep moving.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

exquisite tea posted:

No time to die

Die another day

Another day to die

A time and date to expire

An appointment to meet your maker another time another day

Die on time

Missed your time to die,reschedule never

Oops your dead again

Oops your dead again...again

Who throws a shoe? Honestly,you fight like a woman.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Your Death is Important to Us: You Will Be Connected to A Gimmick Assassin Shortly

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lobok posted:

Living Daylights still rules. Favourite Bond car and one of the best car chases in the whole series

Movie has a weird ending though. Everytime I watch the plane scene and it ends with them driving to Karachi and Bond saying he knows a great restaurant I'm like "ah, perfect way to finish off th-- oh, right, there's still a whole other villain to take down."

Living Daylights also has the best Bond score and one of Barry's best, period. One of the issues with Licence to Kill is the big drop in the Kamen score (and Goldeneye continues the bad score thing). Barry scores were always an almost inseparable part of Bond films, which is why the later Brosnan and first couple of Craig movies aped them a lot.

Also has some good cinematography and really feels more epic than most Bond movies at times.

I've grown to like the Mitchell second villain fight. The movie was weird in that the "henchman" was not just a henchman and an equal partner in the triumvirate of villains; he just happened to be the hands-on one so he gets taken out first, while Joe Don Baker is just the guy with the main plan and the other guy just kind of around and the catalyst.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARR51SFcm5Y

This track from The Living Daylights has been on my workout playlist for ages. The orchestra plus the synth drums? Perfection itself.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like the A-Ha song. The Bonding podcast seems down on it but they have a lot of bad takes.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Mantis42 posted:

I like the A-Ha song.
:same: I like it better than most of their early stuff to be honest.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mantis42 posted:

I like the A-Ha song. The Bonding podcast seems down on it but they have a lot of bad takes.

WHAT!? It's one of the BEST ONES. Absolutely ridiculous. :mad:

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No time to die

Die another day

Another day to die

A time and date to expire

An appointment to meet your maker another time another day

Die on time

Missed your time to die,reschedule never

Oops your dead again

Oops your dead again...again

Who throws a shoe? Honestly,you fight like a woman.
Lionel Hutz will return in:
No Time to Die? No, Time to Die!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I have to watch The Living Daylights again. I mostly remember the great opening, the cello, Lawrence of Arabia, and a whistle activated weapon; but I have no memory of how any of these elements interact with the movie itself. I do remember that The Living Daylights was awesome though. Both Dalton movies ruled.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

They don’t like you know my name. Awful thought imo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

They don’t like you know my name. Awful thought imo

It's not totally different but I love the rock version. It's the one I got used to before the movie came out so the theatrical version always sounds odd to me.

Same goes for a lot of the movie theme songs actually. The old 30th Anniversary Collection CD tracks are burned into my brain as the "real" songs so whenever I'm watching one of the movies the theme usually is different in some way. A slightly different arrangement, or different ending, or it's just shorter, etc.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I used to hate the opening themes so much when I was watching TBS marathons as a kid, but now I like them and I consider myself refined for liking them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, puberty is usually a prerequisite for enjoying those opening credits music videos.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lobok posted:

It's not totally different but I love the rock version. It's the one I got used to before the movie came out so the theatrical version always sounds odd to me.

Same goes for a lot of the movie theme songs actually. The old 30th Anniversary Collection CD tracks are burned into my brain as the "real" songs so whenever I'm watching one of the movies the theme usually is different in some way. A slightly different arrangement, or different ending, or it's just shorter, etc.

I'm the opposite. I loved the rock version but the orchestral is so cool. I wish that one was more available. I have to always just go to YouTube to hear it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I feel the same way about the opening of Temple of Doom with Anything Goes. Now that I think of it, everything in Club Obi-Wan feels very Bondish

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lobok posted:

Was the the CD that came out between TND and TWINE?
I checked that out of the library and ripped it and all of those versions are now the definitive ones for me too.

Sometimes I do like to listen to the "alternates" Goldeneye with the really extended intro.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Coffee And Pie posted:

I feel the same way about the opening of Temple of Doom with Anything Goes. Now that I think of it, everything in Club Obi-Wan feels very Bondish

Spielberg was famously trying to make a Bond film, but ole Cubby Broccoli rejected him twice. He even asked permission to use a few notes from the score of Close Encounters on Moonraker. Spielberg agreed and asked for bond again... making it three times he was told to gently caress off.

That's okay. He cast James Bond as Indy's dad in the third one.

Also RE: Thunderball, they are trying to do the "i'm too old for this poo poo" gimmick. Connery wasn't actually Bond anymore... you guys know all this poo poo I just realized what thread this is.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 7, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

~Coxy posted:

Was the the CD that came out between TND and TWINE?
I checked that out of the library and ripped it and all of those versions are now the definitive ones for me too.

Sometimes I do like to listen to the "alternates" Goldeneye with the really extended intro.

It was pre-Goldeneye so the newest song on it was Licence to Kill. But later releases would have had the same versions, yeah.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Firstborn posted:

Spielberg was famously trying to make a Bond film, but ole Cubby Broccoli rejected him twice. He even asked permission to use a few notes from the score of Close Encounters on Moonraker. Spielberg agreed and asked for bond again... making it three times he was told to gently caress off.

That's okay. He cast James Bond as Indy's dad in the third one.

Also RE: Thunderball, they are trying to do the "i'm too old for this poo poo" gimmick. Connery wasn't actually Bond anymore... you guys know all this poo poo I just realized what thread this is.

You’re thinking of Never Say Never Again, McClory’s own adaptation of the story (the Thunderball lawsuit is a whole rear end mess). That was when Connery was in his 50s. He was only in his 30s when he did all of the official ones except Diamonds.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lobok posted:

It was pre-Goldeneye so the newest song on it was Licence to Kill. But later releases would have had the same versions, yeah.

I had that CD on constant repeat as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

I always felt that Dalton going undercover in the desert to get the Macguffin and fighting in the airport felt very Raiders-ish, so full circle, I guess.

Edit. gently caress, both movies have John Rhys Davies, no wonder.

Edit: Harrison Ford is wearing Connerys tux from Goldfinger in that sequence.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 7, 2020

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

chitoryu12 posted:

You’re thinking of Never Say Never Again, McClory’s own adaptation of the story (the Thunderball lawsuit is a whole rear end mess). That was when Connery was in his 50s. He was only in his 30s when he did all of the official ones except Diamonds.

Yes, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Bond watchthrough update:

Thunderball is a hoot once it gets going but ooooh boy the first half hour/40 minutes are a bit of a slog. Yeah, there's juuuust a tad too much underwater action but I didn't mind it so much. Really dug the villain. Also I know it gets put on the top lists of Bond songs but the Tom Jones theme song......EAUGH. What a step down from Shirley Bassey's theme. I said what I said. :colbert:

You Only Live Twice is. Well. Kind of boring? But I'm not sure why. Turning Bond Japanese has got to be the most hilariously awful disguise in a spy film ever conceived. It's so dumb. Some good action here and there and I can't deny that ninja squad vs Spectre was fun. Not one I'll revisit though.

I've never seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service so this was a treat. Not only has this shot to one of my top Bonds but it's probably one of my favorite movies ever. Bond as a human person? Great action? Shot spectacularly? That ending???

I'm skipping Diamonds Are Forever because it's dogshit. It played a lot on TNT when I was a kid so I've seen it a few times and I truly, truly detest this movie.

Onto the Moores. I have only vague recollections of A View to a Kill. Which ones do people say are the good ones?

Paul McCartney: Live and let diiiiiie

Henry McCullough: