Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Gaukler posted:

Aren’t javascript numbers not actually 64bit? I thought they were something dumb like 52 or 54 and that leads to fun interop problems with languages that don’t suck (as much as javascript, anyway)

I mean, they follow the IEEE-754 standard for double precision floats. You're probably thinking of how the mantissa is only 52 bits, but that's the same in any language that follows the standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

All integers between -2^53 and +2^53 are exactly representable in IEEE754 doubles, so integer math that stays in that range works out without rounding or precision loss. Some integers outside that range are also exactly representable, but there are holes

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Gaukler posted:

Aren’t javascript numbers not actually 64bit? I thought they were something dumb like 52 or 54 and that leads to fun interop problems with languages that don’t suck (as much as javascript, anyway)

BigInt exists too!

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

All integers between -2^53 and +2^53 are exactly representable in IEEE754 doubles, so integer math that stays in that range works out without rounding or precision loss. Some integers outside that range are also exactly representable, but there are holes

Right, I was getting it mixed up with trying to use i64/u64s in APIs, Number in javascript is f64.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Gaukler posted:

Bruce Dawson just had a blog post on this https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2020/09/27/floating-point-in-the-browser-part-1-impossible-expectations/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The "I don't use a thing, therefore teaching it is bad" thing is so goofy I don't even know how to respond. Like, do I start with foundational knowledge, holistic understanding, and how decent pedagogy works, or do I start with the premise that knowledge can't be valuable fo its own sake? There are just so many ways that those statements don't hold up to scrutiny!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Shhh let it go, the slappy fight is mercifully over.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh ok, didn't realize how far behind I was 🤷‍♀️

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
A coding/contest horror

https://twitter.com/vcsjones/status/1311698647936102400

Apparently Digital Ocean are running a contest where getting PRs merged will get you a t-shirt. That, of course, is leading to tons of lovely spam PRs and wasting everyone's time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Somehow someone created a PR to one of our repositories and subscribed the entire company to it. It's going about as well as you'd expect.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
DigitalOcean says they're gonna try an automated PR banning scheme. Looking at the repositories created specifically for gaming Hacktoberfest, and the spammed PR's... I say just ban India from participating, that looks like it'd reduce the majority of the spam.

https://github.com/lugnitdgp/Hack-Day

quote:

An event organised by GNU/Linux Users' Group, NIT Durgapur for the promotion of Hacktoberfest 2020 🎃

:suicide:

All for a free t-shirt.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Protocol7 posted:

DigitalOcean says they're gonna try an automated PR banning scheme. Looking at the repositories created specifically for gaming Hacktoberfest, and the spammed PR's... I say just ban India from participating, that looks like it'd reduce the majority of the spam.

As a FOSS maintainer the worst countries I've seen are Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, Serbia; some people would submit thousands of PRs a day on obviously named multiple accounts (yourname1, yourname2, yourname3, etc) to farm t-shirts.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm sad I don't work for an open source org anymore, that was an easy get for a few years.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I don't exactly hate Hacktoberfest but yeah there will be garbage PRs every year and tons of people claiming issues on popular projects and then not doing anything. To be fair the organizers do encourage participants to not suck but you know good luck.

It does give me a yearly reminder that I can do fun coding outside of my job and the t-shirt (plus my work's swag bag for participating) is JUST enough to push me to do it.

And then maybe I've fixed some bug in jest that annoys me and some thing in yarn where it can accidentally delete your whole hard drive so you know that's cool.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Biowarfare posted:

As a FOSS maintainer the worst countries I've seen are Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, Serbia; some people would submit thousands of PRs a day on obviously named multiple accounts (yourname1, yourname2, yourname3, etc) to farm t-shirts.

I can kind of get why India would score high in any kind of country breakdown for abuse, since it has a huge population and is training a lot of programmers to work with western companies, but Sri Lanka and (especially) Serbia are much smaller. Is there a t-shirt shortage in those countries?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NtotheTC posted:

More like two's insult

The one saving post of the last 100

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ultrafilter posted:

Somehow someone created a PR to one of our repositories and subscribed the entire company to it. It's going about as well as you'd expect.

It's impossible to visualise what this might mean without knowing how big your company is. At my company of 20 or so people it would not cause any significant problem.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

NtotheTC posted:

More like two's insult

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

I mean really, new thread title

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hammerite posted:

It's impossible to visualise what this might mean without knowing how big your company is. At my company of 20 or so people it would not cause any significant problem.

1300 or so, many of whom are not programmers.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The prevalence of India in spammy Hacktoberfest PRs is apparently due to a single Hindi YouTube channel showing that as an example.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Athas posted:

The prevalence of India in spammy Hacktoberfest PRs is apparently due to a single Hindi YouTube channel showing that as an example.

HN comments say that he was explicitly telling people to make tons of poo poo PRs and "maybe some of them will slip through in time", intentionally try to find small repos that might have inactive owners so they don't get spamfiltered or rejected

Athas posted:

I can kind of get why India would score high in any kind of country breakdown for abuse, since it has a huge population and is training a lot of programmers to work with western companies, but Sri Lanka and (especially) Serbia are much smaller. Is there a t-shirt shortage in those countries?

I'm not sure why. I saw a shitload of fraud too, when I was at a hosting place. Forging of transcripts for student discounts, trying to BYO licence pirated malware windows, etc., trying to sell hacked accounts and stolen credit card account funds (by changing account email)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.troyhunt.com/hacking-grindr-accounts-with-copy-and-paste/

Interesting password reset implementation from Grindr

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
The real horror there is expecting a reply to a tweet at 10pm (and also the password reset implementation, jfc).

There should really be a public list of security fuckups, like that bank that truncated your passwords to 8 chars in some situations.

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 3, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Falcorum posted:

The real horror there is expecting a reply to a tweet at 10pm (and also the password reset implementation, jfc).

IMO if you're one of the largest dating sites in the world, you should have a 24/7 support team and standby numbers for the secfuck guys.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

IMO if you're one of the largest dating sites in the world, you should have a 24/7 support team and standby numbers for the secfuck guys.

Based on the messages I've received using it, I can assure you there is no dating going on there

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Falcorum posted:

There should really be a public list of security fuckups, like that bank that truncated your passwords to 8 chars in some situations.

They wouldn't need to reply to tweet at 10pm, if they responded to any of the previous attempts to communicate via official channels :shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder why they set the token there. Dev setting that got put in production? If it's an easy bug to make when using a particular framework or library for instance, it could be present in many services.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I was probably being dense but I had to scan back up the page a couple of times before twigging what the issue was (that you can get the token without needing access to the email inbox). More coffee needed I guess.

I enjoyed the coded implication from Hunt that he had more success as a Grindr user than Helme.

quote:

What that means is access to everything the original Grindr account holder had access to, for example, their profile pic (which I immediately changed to a more appropriate one):

Around this time, Scott started receiving private messages, both a request to meet personally and a request for pics:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the internet is insanely bad and clearly a mistake for humanity

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Falcorum posted:

8 character passwords are probably from using DES, which was once recommended (in the 90s) and then preserved for backwards compatibility forever.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Falcorum posted:

You're probably looking for Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures. https://cve.mitre.org/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

repiv posted:

https://www.troyhunt.com/hacking-grindr-accounts-with-copy-and-paste/

Interesting password reset implementation from Grindr

Implementing a "Bug Bounty" got a grin from me.

redleader posted:

the internet is insanely bad and clearly a mistake for humanity

Yes but we've known this for decades.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thread.
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1312451205814128640

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Ola posted:

I wonder why they set the token there. Dev setting that got put in production? If it's an easy bug to make when using a particular framework or library for instance, it could be present in many services.
That's nothing.

At a previous job, I was building a backend system that provided a small part of functionality to various client's public facing websites. Our API was a regular old REST service, and allowed an optional http header where anyone integrating with us could add their own correlation ids. Client's javascript front ends wouldn't talk to use directly, it was always via their own backend services.

One day I was looking over logs in Kibana to try and solve some issue or other with our biggest client (who you definitely would have heard of), and came across a bunch of requests where the correlation id wasn't a guid like normal, but a word like 'november' or something like that. So I added the correlation id to the columns shown by Kibana, and a whole load of stuff showed up - 'karen1947', 'ilikecheese111' and...of course...'password123'.

I was never able to find out what convoluted series of coding horrors somehow managed to end up inserting *users passwords* into the correlation id of backend requests to integrators, and can't even imagine how, but they did.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Where is the "User horror" thread?

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1313046638915706880

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

:allears:

e: number of rows not columns had reached the maximum, I assume, unless they have cooked up something really special

although the max rows should be 1,048,576 ??? so are they doing that many tests a day or have they just been appending multiple days' test results to a single spreadsheet or what?

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 5, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hammerite posted:

... have they just been appending multiple days' test results to a single spreadsheet or what?
Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DWP being conservative and regressive with their technology? Well I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
My guess is that a lab or health unit uploads an excel sheet to some central server daily, and the daily tests started exceeding the 16k column limit.