Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Oh sorry apparently they're just turned off on my phone for some reason. I've gone and edited my post to hide that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Friend and I have been playing this mod. It is janky in ways that exceed even the original Subnautica, issues we've run into:
(issues about modded-multiplayer)

You're quite correct. The stream I linked now has some subsequent parts, and uh. Yea. Issues. In my defence the experience in the first clip seemed acceptably, for given Subnautica levels of not quite right.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
That is too bad, would love to play co-op with my partner.

We are gonna try Raft multiplayer one of these days. Not really much like Subnautica but enjoyable in its own right.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Decided to play this game on a whim after finally beating Outer Wilds and this game is crazy addicting. Just got introduced to what I think is the main quest of the game: avoiding rescue so I dont have to pay off the 3 million spacebucks bill

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also if my next major goal is getting a moonpool, am I better off following the exploration quest hooks, or should I just slam down a scanner room near one of the interesting places I already found and hunt for more fragments that way?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Control Volume posted:

Also if my next major goal is getting a moonpool, am I better off following the exploration quest hooks, or should I just slam down a scanner room near one of the interesting places I already found and hunt for more fragments that way?

I think just do whatever and don't worry about it, but if you find yourself stuck, check your distress beacons!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think just do whatever and don't worry about it, but if you find yourself stuck, check your distress beacons!

It's this! Keep us updated!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh I figured out my problem, I think I got damaged by something the second I crossed the 250m limit, so I thought it was pressure killing me instead of what I guess was a fish I never saw. That opens at least one distress beacon for me.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yes maximum vehicle depth is incredibly important to keep an eye on.

Also killer fish.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well the seamoth limit is what made me think that the body had its own limit at 250m due to that one coincidence. I figured I needed to get seamoth upgrades or something to go deeper which apparently isnt the case!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
#2 tip I wish my past self had is that the answer to "Should I use more beacons?" is always "Yes", more so once they gained the ability to toggle them on and off in your UI. Doesn't hurt that they can be reused when you are done with any particular location.

#1 tip was "Why did I wait until I was 'ready' to make a 'proper base' to build things!?", but clearly that point has been long since passed :v:

Control Volume posted:

Well the seamoth limit is what made me think that the body had its own limit at 250m due to that one coincidence. I figured I needed to get seamoth upgrades or something to go deeper which apparently isnt the case!

Unless they changed this when I wasn't looking, the only purely depth based penalty to you just swimming around is faster air loss past a certain point (100m?), unless you have the rebreather equipped.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 10, 2020

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think it was my second sea locker that I realized I needed a base ASAP because gently caress doing that inventory management ever again.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
gently caress sea lockers.

Just drop your poo poo in the sand and hope for the best.

dont do this actually

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
God what PSTD flashbacks, gently caress those sea lockers.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The worst thing about them is that you can't even recycle the drat things into titanium, it's either tossing them in the literal trash or just having a fleet of sea lockers floating around your base and taking up space.

Edit: Building scanner outposts is almost always a great idea, you'd be surprised at what kind of bits and bobs you can find squirreled away even in decently earlygame biomes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Sea lockers could have been a great concept for early game swimming around wrecks looting QoL if they were collapsible to a single inventory tile while empty instead of an awkward millstone no matter what you do.

Control Volume posted:

I think it was my second sea locker that I realized I needed a base ASAP because gently caress doing that inventory management ever again.

And they used to be a full 4x4 when empty in your inventory too, you are reeling in horror over the improved version :v:

Which in turn, gives me flashbacks to when another item was so huge, you couldn't fit a full load of five inside a locker or empty inventory. But at least that later item is useful, and is now an incredibly reasonable size.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Drake_263 posted:

The worst thing about them is that you can't even recycle the drat things into titanium, it's either tossing them in the literal trash or just having a fleet of sea lockers floating around your base and taking up space.

Edit: Building scanner outposts is almost always a great idea, you'd be surprised at what kind of bits and bobs you can find squirreled away even in decently earlygame biomes.

I just assume everyone else's base has an ancestral pile of sea locker middens underneath it from early game*.

*the sea lockers are filled with salt

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Made a new base near some sort of mushroom forest, and I finally got the fragments to make a moonpool! sadly it needs some other upgrade to upgrade my seamoth. But now I also have the fragments to make a cyclops!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Good job!

Also do yourself a favor and make a scanner room if you can- it makes finding hard to locate items SO much easier.

I tend to make my bases at the crossroads of three biomes so a single scanner can find whatever I need- though its rarely pretty.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I always build my main base in the safe shallows, both so there's something pretty to look at out the windows and also to keep that unique calm feeling of subnautica-the-happy-swim-time-game the early game has. And I'll never stop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Every time I play I say I'm going to do something different, and every time I end up setting up my initial base somewhere near a mushroom cave opening. Usually on the main entrance, sometimes over at the other side, and then I stay based from there until I get down to the tree area.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
After caving and playing the most recent build of Below Zero for about 15 hours, I can say that it scratches the itch for more Subnautica but also that you should wait for it to be finished before playing it. Besides the weird progression currently (still haven't found the parts for a moonpool despite having the equivalent of a full Cyclops already), there's so much filler text saying stuff like "In this conversation, character X talks to character Y about subject Z" that it both spoils where the story is going while being unsatisfying because it's not actually written yet.

I mostly just wanted to support the devs and see what they had so far since I liked the first one so much, but if anyone was on the fence and expecting something close to a finished product I would hold off. If I had to guess I'd say the story is maybe 1/3 complete and a lot of what's shown is accompanied by completely blank log entries.

Base building is still as good as always though and they certainly solved the issue of never having enough silver or copper this time around.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Base building is still as good as always though and they certainly solved the issue of never having enough silver or copper this time around.

Out of curiosity, what's the limiting factor this time?

(Note I haven't played Below Zero, and am somewhat on the fence about it.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Teledahn posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the limiting factor this time?

(Note I haven't played Below Zero, and am somewhat on the fence about it.)

Right now I need something called spiral chunks which I haven't found and don't have an associated icon yet, not sure if they actually exist in the current build. Besides that the main limitation is just uncertainty of whether you're missing something tucked away in the map or if you've hit the end of what they have for story so far. One of the main ways you could progress in Subnautica was investigating the distress beacons that it would drip feed you at increasingly lower depths, the only thing Below Zero has given me is a base on the surface which I'm pretty sure I've fully explored by now and some placeholder story areas which generally don't give you anything of use. You can find some locations that are clearly story related if you search the map aimlessly but they don't appear to be connected to a continuous narrative yet.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Below Zero also has some cool base modules that the first game doesn't have: there's a big open room one that you can add a glass ceiling to, as well as a command centre thing that lets you give your base a name/change its colour as if it were a vehicle. (not really a spoiler but if you want to go into BZ completely blind I guess don't click it)

I wish Subnautica had more of a modding scene - in addition to being able to get Subnautica content in BZ and vice versa, it'd just be nice to see some new stuff. All I was able to find when I looked into it was fairly forgettable QoL tweaks. Is there something about the code that doesn't lend itself to mods? It seems like it was popular enough to warrant... something.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 11, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Right now I need something called spiral chunks which I haven't found and don't have an associated icon yet, not sure if they actually exist in the current build.

They do and I would never have found them without googling.

Don't look if you want to keep searching.
Inside the vent gardens. I didnt even consider you could get inside them

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I wish Subnautica had more of a modding scene - in addition to being able to get Subnautica content in BZ and vice versa, it'd just be nice to see some new stuff. All I was able to find when I looked into it was fairly forgettable QoL tweaks. Is there something about the code that doesn't lend itself to mods? It seems like it was popular enough to warrant... something.

While I would love them to have BZ stuff in the first game, they've made clear that they are not cool with anyone taking content from BZ and inserting it into the first game.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

CyberLord XP posted:

While I would love them to have BZ stuff in the first game, they've made clear that they are not cool with anyone taking content from BZ and inserting it into the first game.

What they really need to do is to fold several items and the draw-in improvements into the base game, and then sell Subnautica and Below Zero as a package. I’m sure this is impossible for some reason though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

CyberLord XP posted:

Well heres the thing about Mods for a single player game...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The upside: my seamoth can now dive to 900!! meters. the downside: I dont want to go in the places that are 900m deep

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Control Volume posted:

The upside: my seamoth can now dive to 900!! meters. the downside: I dont want to go in the places that are 900m deep

Subnatica: :allears:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Okan170 posted:

What they really need to do is to fold several items and the draw-in improvements into the base game, and then sell Subnautica and Below Zero as a package. I’m sure this is impossible for some reason though.

It really depends on how radical their engine changes are between the two builds, they could probably port forward the map without much issue but I wouldn't expect the scripting to survive.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Aww c'mon it's not thaaaaat spooky.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The OG Subnautica map could be funky. Originally it had terrain deformation and this caused massive save file bloat as it had to store each deformation in the save data. Save files got crazy like 1-2gb. They locked it down during early access and removed the tool’s functionality, making it either inaccessible without the console or just removed it entirely. Anyway if the save and map is still fundamentally built off of that but locked down, porting the map forwards might not actually be a simple matter. Or it might have been fully converted before release and they just have the standard issues of porting it forwards.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Aww c'mon it's not thaaaaat spooky.

I trusted you and now I have space pox :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's not what holefish are for :ohdear:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I've been home sick so far this week and started playing this yesterday, I'm currently ~13 hours in.

I have bad thalassophobia why do I do this to myself :v:

I warped to the floating island after running my seamoth aground on the other island and was unable to get it back into the water. I was very unpleasantly surprised to find that the island was floating and I couldn't see the bottom. I lost track of the cave entrance to the stargate teleporter and after several minutes' deliberation decided I didn't really want to go back to the not-floating island and swim the longer distance back to my base anyway so I just hopped in with my seaglide and prayed there wasn't a reaper nearby.
That was loving terrifying and I've never been so relieved to see red grass.

The mushroom forests are really nice, though, and don't feel dangerous. I'd love to build a base there but I've heard it gets super laggy.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The Mushroom Biome just suffers the most from the games pop in since they will appear right in front of you while you're going full speed.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I was legit terrified during my first visit to the floating island. Nothing but a empty void below me, with god knows what swimming around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Talking about the above-water one? I didn't even realize it floated. I just kinda saw the beacon at surface (cuz of plot reasons) and swam there at like 5m deep. Saw the big jellies, thought "cool", didn't even think to look down until I was on the return trip and crapped my pants and swam at the surface as fast as I could.

I'm also like the most unobservant fucker ever, as I didn't see/notice the goddamn above ground Degausi bases despite combing the above ground (or as I thought). I actually first found them in the Jellyshroom caves, and needed the wiki to find the one in the grand reef after I had the cyclops. The wiki also told me about the giant crater, and when I got there was was like "How the gently caress did I miss this?!". I have no clue.