Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Fools Infinite posted:

What advantage does the m6 ii offer over a6400 or x-t30 (or whatever m43 is in the same price range)? A small bump in resolution that the kit lens won't make use of?

You could accomplish the same thing with APS-C Sony or Fuji bodies, but given the budget I didn't think it was likely that you could get the value when it came to large aperture primes that would work well for video indoors. For instance, Fuji has a 23mm F/2 lens, but it's $450 vs $250 for the Canon. The 50mm F/2 is $450 vs the $125 the Canon costs.

I haven't had a chance to look at Sony, but their pricing seems similar from my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fools Infinite posted:

Conservative grading would add more nice stock to the lowest level of gear, but even a well meaning company would be selling some funky stuff in the bottom category unless they simply refused to buy/sell bad looking but functional gear.

Bargain isn't their lowest level of gear. That's "Ugly."

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You could accomplish the same thing with APS-C Sony or Fuji bodies, but given the budget I didn't think it was likely that you could get the value when it came to large aperture primes that would work well for video indoors. For instance, Fuji has a 23mm F/2 lens, but it's $450 vs $250 for the Canon. The 50mm F/2 is $450 vs the $125 the Canon costs.

I haven't had a chance to look at Sony, but their pricing seems similar from my experience.

Two budget lenses aren't a compelling reason to buy into a dying system. The more expensive fuji f2 lenses are weather sealed, they also offer a non weather sealed 35mm f2 for $200, so you could get x-t30 and the higher quality 18-55mm f2.8-4 and 35mm f2 for the same price as the m6 ii + kit lens, 22mm, 50mm, and third party adapter. Or the fuji x-t30 + wider angle kit lens, 35mm f2, and 56mm f1.4 viltrox af for the same money.

There aren't really any bad choices, but if you are primarily shooting video you might find some of the video centric features more important, like being able to monitor you audio on the x-t30 using an adapter or the addition of things like f-log. The canon 90d does have a headphone jack (and fully articulating screen).

Also the x-t200 is on sale for $500 right now, features a fully articulating screen, headphone/external mic support, good 4k (but not so good 1080p).

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Edit: how about Adorama? What are the best used gear sites these days? I have national camera local in Minneapolis and I like them a lot, but their inventory doesn’t turn over very fast.

Everything that I've bought from MPB has well outpaced my expectations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

GreenaBoy posted:

Hi Dorkroom posters, I need help finding a camera and the internet articles and reviews are melting my brain.

I can’t seem to settle on a DSLR that does decent video. The museum I work for recently got a grant that I need to use for a DSLR soon. We’ve been making videos on our cell phones and my old Sony a6000 but they just don’t quite cut it anymore. If we want to survive and look good we need a better dedicated camera. The budget is about $2,000-$2,500 to buy a camera, lenses, memory card and tripod. What we plan to use it for is to make small in house video documentaries about the art we have, virtual tours, art education etc… It is also going to be used to take pictures of art that needs to be documented and stored later. I read some articles from google that point me towards a Nikon D5700 or some Canon 80d. But honestly have no clue what I’m looking at anymore. I have another budget for lighting and mics and have some that will work for now but just need a decent camera kit to get started.

TLDR;
I need a DSLR camera and kit that does good video. Open to anything was looking at the Nikon D5700 but I’m clueless now
Budget: $2,000-$2,500
I need a higher resolution video and better frame rate in low light hoping for 4k but with this budget can settle for 1080p
I have a separate budget for lighting and mics but open to suggestions on that too.
Will be using it to film people, interviews, paintings and sculptures
It will also be used to take pictures and document art as well.
My current setup consists of iPhones, androids and a Sony a6000 we also have an older Nikon DSLR but I don’t know the model

Thanks guys

I don't know why you specifically want or need a DSLR, but if you consider Mirrorless, look at getting a Panasonic GH5 since it looks like you're doing mostly video. We have 3 in our studio setup and they're just aces for vidyuh. MFT lenses are cheap as chips, even new.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Looking to make the jump from point and shoots to a DSLR. The most recent "my first dslr" thread is archived, so I'm posting this here. I'm expecting my first kid in February and want to make sure I can take high quality photos ~for the memories~. Capable 4k video would be a plus. Before the pandemic (and expected kiddo) my wife and I traveled a lot and usually took a lot of photos/video, so a DSLR body that is applicable for when/if we start traveling again in the future would be useful.

Current equipment:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 ($750) We typically use this for birds, wildlife, and anything far off in the distance. Also 4k video.
Fujifilm X100F ($1200) Use for everything else.

Budget: max around $5000 for the body and lenses

I've been reading this thread, the "my first dslr" thread, the manufacturer-specific threads, and review sites for a year or so now but I'm still unsure of what to get. At the moment, I've been going back and forth between the Nikon D780 and D850. The D780 is newer, cheaper, and seemingly a bit better at video than the D850. However, the D850 image quality is noticeably better (especially obvious in the studio scene on dpreview.com).

For lenses, the most immediate use would be for baby pictures so I was thinking of getting a 35mm, 50mm, and a macro lens (~100mm?). Or maybe go with 1 prime lens and a quality zoom lens? I'm kind of overwhelmed with choices here too, so recommendations would be great.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should consider mirrorless at least. Nikon’s second gen Z bodies are about to come out if you like them in particular, but there are also great options from Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, etc.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
What dslr specific features are you looking for that mirrorless couldn't do? If you aren't already attached to the optical viewfinder or want to shoot your slr lenses without adapting you should definitely consider the other options.

If you do absolutely want a dslr buy used so you can change your mind without taking a bath.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Skip dslr and go mirrorless if you don't have an existing lens selection, especially if you like nikon.

Those nikon cameras are amazing photography cameras but way behind for video. The nikon Z6 however does pretty great video, the z6 II is being announced in less than 2 weeks so you could look at that or just wait for the z6 2nd hand prices to drop (avoid the z5, it's a still camera primarily with average video capability so wouldn't be great for your needs)

For lenses and trying to photograph a kid, I'd say one mid range zoom (24-70) is essential. When your on the floor and your kid is crawling towards you, you won't have time to switch primes.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 3, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Agreeing with everyone on the mirrorless options.

You definitely have the budget for a full-frame setup, and that would certainly work well with fast primes for photographing kids, etc., Having lived the experience of being a new parent, I would caution you with the old adage that the best camera is the one you have. As a new parent (especially a first time one) you'll be carrying around a fuckton of kid stuff. The last thing you'll likely want to do is grab a bag full of heavy full frame lenses. You'll wind up either just bringing the X100F or just using your phone.

There are some really good APS-C options which are much more compact. Fuji undoubtedly has the most built out mirrorless native APS-C system.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For a lot of us cameras are an old hat, the tech moves forward unrelentingly, features slowly trickle down and we upgrade as needed to get what we want. But the reality is that were in a very exciting time for cameras as the tech has finally made a bounding leap instead of a step. I'd consider manufacturers taking mirrorless seriously as big of a deal as the first major shift from film to digital. To have a budget like yours when I first started I'd kill for. Definitely get a firm foundation in something mirrorless. It's the future.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Thanks everyone - super helpful advice! I'm going to hang onto the X100F and keep an eye out for the Z6/7 II cameras later in the month (already started researching the current line up).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've got a Sony 24-70 GM that was in an accident and the mount is no longer flush/flat and the zoom mechanism is kinda gravelly. Is this just straight up trash or is there a chance it could be repaired or is there anything else to be done with it?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you can't get it fixed for a reasonable price, a completely broken equipment is still worth money when sold honestly for parts. Ebay has sold listings parts sony 24-70 gm for ~$800, as much as you can trust that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

I've got a Sony 24-70 GM that was in an accident and the mount is no longer flush/flat and the zoom mechanism is kinda gravelly. Is this just straight up trash or is there a chance it could be repaired or is there anything else to be done with it?

This is the same accident that was someone else's fault and you're getting paid out by their insurance, right? Don't they make you forfeit or destroy the equipment if they're paying you?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm not sure yet. I tried googling that a while ago and it was surprisingly difficult to find precise answers. All the websites that come up are personal injury lawyers and they don't give much of a poo poo about property damage but they always have an unhelpful paragraph about it, just enough to clog up the search results.

I provided them with photographs of all the stuff that was damaged and my receipts for all of it and now I'm just waiting because it's likely there's going to be an issue with the at fault party's property damage limits which means I won't get paid out 100%.

They haven't asked for anything additional or made any comments yet but of course I'm going to keep the stuff until they actually pay me for it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

KracKiwi posted:

Thanks everyone - super helpful advice! I'm going to hang onto the X100F and keep an eye out for the Z6/7 II cameras later in the month (already started researching the current line up).

Also check out Canon's new mirrorless range. The R5 might be pushing the limits of your budget, but the R6 is firmly within it and is a phenomenal amount of camera for the price. Also it does 4K video at 60fps.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I recently got hold of an R6 and can confirm it is phenomenal, especially with low light.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

My tripod finally decided to break the other day, so I'm in the market for a new one that doesn't exceed about 200 bucks. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I've not shopped for one in a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

My tripod finally decided to break the other day, so I'm in the market for a new one that doesn't exceed about 200 bucks. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I've not shopped for one in a while.

Do you have a head already or do you need one? That's going to effect cost a bit

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
So I am looking for a gopro 3axis gimble at can mount the gopro + case instead of just gopro. I found out the hard way the following gimble you can only mount the gopro.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TC8F2FD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am currently trying to use the ulanzi v3 case and just can't find a gimble that will accept it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1510053-REG/ulanzi_1615_v3_pro_dual_cold.html

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Is there a specific reason you need a case on the gimbal? Generally even a caseless gopro will long outsurvive the gimbal, unless this is like a 4 or older for some reason. 5 and older are generally more than tough enough.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Atlatl posted:

Is there a specific reason you need a case on the gimbal? Generally even a caseless gopro will long outsurvive the gimbal, unless this is like a 4 or older for some reason. 5 and older are generally more than tough enough.

Case hold the mic and mic adapter because the built in mic on my gopro are trash.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Uhhh I think best bet, but also annoying due to the number of adapters and things you'll need, is to get a mid-size gimbal and then put the gopro+case on there I think.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
MY GIRLFRIEND wants to start making short films. What should I buy for under 1k (maaaybe 1.5k)

I used to do a lot of photography myself but mostly medium format film so digital moving image is all new to me.

Should I still consider the lens more important than a body? I'm best off getting a year or two old used camera than buying something new, yes?

Don't need 4k or anything crazy. Any extras recommended? basic lighting/tripods/gimbals? What would you get in this position?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Sony A7 series is a lot of camera for the money (quite popular for cine stuff) or BlackMagic makes some nice stuff (BlackMagic Pocket, etc) that is explicitly cine-focused.

Buy used if possible to maximize value, it's like a car, the first person to drive the camera equipment off the lot pays the idiot tax.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I'm a proponent of buying used, but video features have progressed much more quickly than photographic ones. For example a ~$500 used a7 body doesn't compare favorably to the $500 new (with lens) fuji x-t200. This is especially true if you want to use auto focus when shooting video.

The things you want to look for in a video lens are very different than a still lens, things like sharpness don't really matter, but stuff like focus breathing do. Also depends on whether you want to use video auto focus.

There are also a lot of new entry cameras targeted at the video market, including compacts. Dji just announced the new pocket 2 which is compact gimbal camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For that budget I don't think you're getting into much re: accessories. I'd say a variable ND filter to keep your shutter under control if you plan on filming outside during daytime, and think about what you're going to do for sound (what you need is gonna depend on the film.) Gimbal and lighting probably not in the budget and not things I'd start with anyway; ideally you would have a tripod, but if you want to do any kind of panning or tilting it has to be at least kinda nice and I'm not sure that's gonna happen for your budget.

Do you have a nice phone camera? Depending on what you want to do, I would honestly consider starting with Filmic Pro or similar and some accessories (filter case, like from Polarpro, something for audio, tripod adapter and tripod.)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'd say start making short films with the gear you've already got (your phone, presumably) and concentrate on the hard parts, like writing good scripts and composing good shots.

Then, when you go shopping, you'll know what the important parts are.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy used if possible to maximize value, it's like a car, the first person to drive the camera equipment off the lot pays the idiot tax.

This is 100% my philosophy. Find a second hand body in good shape that comes with a warranty. I’ve bought three of four digital cameras this way and not once have I regretted it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

If shooting autofocus: Lenses with silently focusing motors, camera system with an excellent video AF system and a way to easily control it (touchscreen, etc.).

If shooting manual focus: Lenses with smooth focusing and a good range of movement from one end of the focus to the other. You might even consider some old manual focus primes if they can be adapted to your body.

If you truly feel like you don't want 4K then just about any body made in the last 5 years will do 1080P 24/30hz. 1080P is 2 megapixels so as Fools Infinite alluded to, sharpness won't be an issue unless things are really bad.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

So the company I work for wants to setup a green screen to record training videos/sales presentations.

They had a consultant who was trying to sell them online video training and gave them a basic gear list he recommended.

I got tapped but I'm clueless about video.

Essentially he said they should get
2 lumix g5s cameras one for closeups/one for wider shots
Green screen
3 softboxes for key, fill, rim lighting
2 led floods to light greenscreen
Fast Desktop with HDMI capture cards to connect hdmi out feeds from cameras
El Gato stream deck, switch between cam 1, cam2 and PowerPoint/intro graphics/logos etc..
Vmix software
Wireless Lavalier mics

Seems like it would be a pretty decent setup. I just don't know much about DSLRs aside from Canon. I know canon is pretty lovely for video but wanted to ask if the G5S is a good choice for tethered streaming video out via HDMI.

Anything else anyone can suggest?

I also recommended a shotgun and a podium mounted mic but corp already has some sennheiser lavalier mics so they want to stick with those at present.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

my turn in the barrel posted:

So the company I work for wants to setup a green screen to record training videos/sales presentations.

They had a consultant who was trying to sell them online video training and gave them a basic gear list he recommended.

I got tapped but I'm clueless about video.

Essentially he said they should get
2 lumix g5s cameras one for closeups/one for wider shots
Green screen
3 softboxes for key, fill, rim lighting
2 led floods to light greenscreen
Fast Desktop with HDMI capture cards to connect hdmi out feeds from cameras
El Gato stream deck, switch between cam 1, cam2 and PowerPoint/intro graphics/logos etc..
Vmix software
Wireless Lavalier mics

Seems like it would be a pretty decent setup. I just don't know much about DSLRs aside from Canon. I know canon is pretty lovely for video but wanted to ask if the G5S is a good choice for tethered streaming video out via HDMI.

Anything else anyone can suggest?

I also recommended a shotgun and a podium mounted mic but corp already has some sennheiser lavalier mics so they want to stick with those at present.

Are they streaming live or recording, or both?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Streaming live

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Seems like a pretty standard if older setup, Panasonic mirrorless generally have good clean HDMI out the G5 is a pretty old camera though, probably be fine but seems odd as a recommendation in 2020.

You also need to consider what focal length lenses in terms of how wide an angle you want with MFT.

If you want to mix the mics as well then you need to consider a mixer / multiple audio inputs depending on which mics you go with.

Cameras that do clean HDMI and if so with any caveats are listed here, but you should always look for real reviews, reliable clean HDMI out video from mirrorless/DSLR cameras is not always a given.

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link/camera-check

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND wants to start making short films. What should I buy for under 1k (maaaybe 1.5k)

I used to do a lot of photography myself but mostly medium format film so digital moving image is all new to me.

Should I still consider the lens more important than a body? I'm best off getting a year or two old used camera than buying something new, yes?

Don't need 4k or anything crazy. Any extras recommended? basic lighting/tripods/gimbals? What would you get in this position?

Panasonic makes the best video cameras IMO. You can buy a brand new G7 dead cheap and it does 4K.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Do you have a head already or do you need one? That's going to effect cost a bit

No, I do not have a tripod head. The one I had been using was an older low-budget model.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Are there any good video heads under $100? I have a Benro IB1+ Adventure Series 1 for stills that I almost never use, but would like something with a handle for video that I will almost never use. Is there any particular reason to keep with the same brand as the body, or is it common to mix-and-match?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My wife went to Goodwill this week and found a working Polaroid SX-70 with the serial number coming back to 1982 for a grand total of $8. The test pics came out a little blurry but some googling says it's because of poor lighting, so she's ordered a lightbar. I don't know squat about non-digital photos but it's a pretty sweet find, if anyone has some resources for doing old school polaroid photography they'd like to share that would be cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

Are there any good video heads under $100? I have a Benro IB1+ Adventure Series 1 for stills that I almost never use, but would like something with a handle for video that I will almost never use. Is there any particular reason to keep with the same brand as the body, or is it common to mix-and-match?

Unless there's some goofy proprietary thing going on no reason to stick in brand necessarily. Sometimes there are minor design differences that can come up, for example the tiedown leveling knob on my Miller head isn't quite long enough to be comfortable with my Sachtler legs, but I doubt you'd run into it with that type of legs and head. Sadly I have no advice for you on cheap fluid heads other than that people do seem to like Benro. Also, it's a pain to use a video head if you don't have a bowl or leveler of some kind.