Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nice dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Sarsapariller posted:

Very short Squadrons trip report:

This is very much an arcade shooter, not a sim, and that's completely okay. With multiple ships and 2-3 "Powers" that you can customize between missions, I feel like there's enough mechanical depth to keep this fun for quite a while. I think real mastery of the game's flight system will center around correct use of the "Drift" button which has so far not been explained and may not even be bound right in my current setup. Most of the gameplay so far has been target thing, turn towards thing, shoot thing. The cockpit interiors are neat and intuitive to the point that I was naturally just referencing the instruments before the end of the Prologue. I do wish the radars were a little easier to interpret though.

This is definitely not the game that Star Citizen is trying to be. However, it might be the ideal version of the game that Squadron 42 is trying to be, which is hilarious.

So, I've been playing Squadrons in VR, and that looks incredibly immersive. The gameplay's very on-rails and on the repetitive side, but it's all so beautiful and immersive that it can be forgiven. I don't have any framerate issues either. It's basically the game I was expecting from SQ42 with a Star wars skin.

Oh, and somebody's trying to promote Star Citizen on the steam forums. It's not going exactly well...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1222730/discussions/0/2940245647583536065/

quote:

just play star citizen if you want space combat

quote:

I am an early Star Citizen backer and I have already had more fun in this game in 3 hours than the entirety of the open beta of Star Citizen.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Titanic posted:

No spiders. Black ferrets please.

That's basically half a spider

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Is there a space game that hasn't thrown shade at CIG at this point? EA literally named their game "Squadrons", NMS has sandworms, ED had the bartender (AND space legs), Rebel Galaxy had some overt references I can't remember ATM. Starfield is the only one that hasn't- then again they haven't really shown anything about their game yet, so they have time.

Every year that goes by, Star Citizen becomes more and more of a joke.

Clearly C.R. (blessed be his name) inspired every other space game on the market today, and therefore Star Citizen was (and forever will be) a huge success by daring to dreams.txt regardless of the actual game.

The publishers know that Chris R-berts has them on the ropes so they're trying everything in their power to sink Star Citizen BUT CHRIS HAS ALREADY WON :colbert:

I have more fun staring at my ships and flying them in my head and therefore handing my stimulus cheque to CIG was a good investment.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zaphod42 posted:

Fun thing. You know world of warcraft? Well, the engine they made only had a couple very very specific triggers for quests, mostly "kill this specific mob" or "kill X of these types of mobs".

But the people designing quests wanted to do more creative things with the game! Someone came up with a clever hack. Create an invisible bunny rabbit npc, one that cannot be seen or interacted with in any way by any player. Then have a script that when you do some quest thing, it kills the rabbit. Now the quest just has to be told "kill X rabbit and quest is done" and it all works! You do something like digging for treasure, when you find the treasure, the invisible bunny dies, and the quest says "you did the thing, good job finding the treasure" and the player is none the wiser about the back-end invisible bunny.

Well... these things have consequences. A few years later and the WoW engine is constantly managing like 5,000 invisible bunny NPCs just to handle triggers and its causing strain on the servers.

I don't think it was until like, Cataclysm that they actually moved past the invisible bunnies :haw:

Hmm. Now that I know there are bunnies everywhere, I feel I should try WoW again.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

It's amazing to think that someone thought this comic was such a good idea they drew it, posted it to the internet, and then told people about it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Viscous Soda posted:

It's amazing to think that someone thought this comic was such a good idea they drew it, posted it to the internet, and then told people about it.

September 2013: I'm quite excited for Star Citizen and Chris Roberts coming back to video games (COMIC)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ever had any impersonal inner thoughts?

Asking for a friend

I had a boilerplate thought once

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Dictated not read and all

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ErrEff posted:

I've certainly seen my share of stupid workarounds to fix simple problems, and putting an invisible flag on something you only occasionally use that doesn't waste a lot of resources isn't the worst fix imaginable (as opposed to spawning/despawning where appropriate).... but I'm now imagining every single unique interactive asset in the game having a fully rigged physics-enabled invisible human model attached to it. :stare:

I was thinking maybe it was just some daft error while capturing new reflection data. (Perhaps they hack about in low-profile naked avs in builds or something, and just got in the way etc)

But the idea of there being glitchy naked commandoes pasted invisibly everywhere, 'operating the machine' as it were, is pretty drat wonderful :allears:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RespectfulColossalBeardeddragon-mobile.mp4

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Random stream check: (52:00 or so)

SaltEMike: “I tell you what — this poo poo looks so good, dude... It’s The Coil! They made The Coil before Star Citizen did. Ha-ha-haaah. This is great! I love it — I’m fuckin’ loving every minute of it.”

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The best bit is the $ shields because it's pretty much how it works in SC.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Any updates on subsumption?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Crossposting from the Unpopular Videogames Opinion Thread (which has metamorphosed into about 50% seriousposting on game design), because while it's a simple analogy it probably applies to SC and it's likely that reading this thread has informed my opinions on this a lot:

Breetai posted:

As much as people like to justifiably grouse about how overfocussing on visual fidelity can at best be neutral and at worst can bring a video game down, there's definitely something to be said about excessive amounts of mechanical fidelity as well.

As a very simple example, look at unit and structure placement in the Command and Conquer series of games.

In the early iterations everything was very clearly and evidently (even to the player) grid-based. Non-infantry units took up exactly one grid space, buildings took up multiple grid spaces, and building placement was restricted to an integer number of grid spaces between buildings. Buildings also had a set orientation on the map and could not be rotated.

C&C 3, however, decided to buck that trend. Buildings were placeable any distance from one another, and could be rotated a full 360 degrees from their original orientation. Rather than being arranged to a grid, units could be instructed to go to a point and could navigate to any arbitrary distance from any other point on the map.

The result? Bases were very hard to set up in any kind of ordered fashion as it was not immediately clear where the footprint of a building went, and rotating a building a fraction of a degree would greatly increase the distance around it that any building without the exact same orientation could be placed. This led to cluttered, chaotic, messy bases. Ordering units around was difficult as well, because if you ordered a unit to move near another unit, rather than being able to align them gridlike as in previous games, you would direct them to a point near the other unit, and then you'd find that there's an invisible bumper car fun zone surrounding each and every vehicle that defines the distance that another vehicle is allowed to be from it, that again wildly differs according to orientation. This zone was also massive in relation to the size of the vehicle - up to about 3 vehicle lengths. The result of this is that if you told a tank to go to where a group of other tanks were, it would start to navigate, and then every tank in your main blob would frantically move around as the destination for the move order was suddenly a massive no-go zone, meaning that a chain reaction of repositioning of every vehicle around it would occur. This could lead to situations where vehicles parked carefully outside of the range of other enemies would jostle into range and get killed. I'm sure that the people who devised this system were very proud that their game didn't have such restricted placement rules anymore and was more realistic, but it stunk out loud.

Then Red Alert 3 came along, and they went right back to the grid-based system (with the added ability to rotate buildings, but only in 90 degree increments). Was it gamier? Yes. Was it more engaging? Also yes, because despite the fact that it was not 'realistic', the player spent more of their time actually focusing on tactical combat against their opponent rather than wrestling against the game's systems. Arguably, it was more immersive despite being more obviously restricted by game rules.

Basically, the upside of video game is just that: they are computerized games. They allow us to harness computing power to create games which follow rulesets and simulate causal relationships between player actions and outcomes that are many orders of magnitude more complicated than what can be done by hand, but the focus needs to be on the player experience of those mechanics, and losing sight of that makes for a bad time. You shouldn't be attempting to simulate reality, but instead create an abstraction of a scenario for gameplay purposes that engages the player rather than flexing your programming chops and sacrificing fun at the alter of fidelity.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ay yo squadrons is good. after i threw the default mapping overboard and spent a long time remapping the dualshock it feels just right to pilot the xwing. i have pitch and yaw on the left stick and roll on the right, all the power distribution on the face buttons. targeting stuff by pressing the thumb sticks, almost like i had it back in the day when i played xwing alliance.

but my fly "style" so far is pretty cheap, not very cinematic.
when i had to take down some bigger ships i just charged my shields, then parked next to the ship, all power to lasers and thats it basically.

the characters remind me a bit of starfox though, i would not be surprised if peppy enterd the battle to advise me to do a barrel roll.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viscous Soda posted:

Yeah I feel like that has to be a goon comic

Lol at criticizing other games for "pay 2 win" when you're star citizen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

G0RF posted:

Random stream check: (52:00 or so)

SaltEMike: “I tell you what — this poo poo looks so good, dude... It’s The Coil! They made The Coil before Star Citizen did. Ha-ha-haaah. This is great! I love it — I’m fuckin’ loving every minute of it.”

And this whole game was just $40

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TWITCH (LIVE): Disco plays Squadrons

You have to be a subscriber to watch archives of his streams, so if you’re curious, catch it while it’s live.

It’s gotta be a little unnerving, jumping into another excellent EA-produced Squadron 42 competitor, knowing that once again, the game you’ve been paid to flack for 6 years will never live up to the stuff evil publishers put out. It isn’t a lack of funds (you’ve had multiples of what these cost to make) and it isn’t a lack of time (you’ve had 3x as long as others take.)

It’s a failure of talent and leadership. And there’s no fixing it. There’s just muddle ahead, as there was muddle behind, and if you’re lucky, the process eventually spits out an inferior piece of crap and the debate that’s raged for ages is finally settled. :itwaspoo:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

G0RF posted:

TWITCH (LIVE): Disco plays Squadrons

You have to be a subscriber to watch archives of his streams, so if you’re curious, catch it while it’s live.

It’s gotta be a little unnerving, jumping into another excellent EA-produced Squadron 42 competitor, knowing that once again, the game you’ve been paid to flack for 6 years will never live up to the stuff evil publishers put out. It isn’t a lack of funds (you’ve had multiples of what these cost to make) and it isn’t a lack of time (you’ve had 3x as long as others take.)

It’s a failure of talent and leadership. And there’s no fixing it. There’s just muddle ahead, as there was muddle behind, and if you’re lucky, the process eventually spits out an inferior piece of crap and the debate that’s raged for ages is finally settled. :itwaspoo:

Lol now he's directly talking about the concept of "Evil EA" and trying to reconcile both his love of CIG and his love of Squadrons

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
he has the sw arcade machine in the corner and a REAL hoverboard on the couch!

but why is he trying to eat his microphone?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lando is now arguing that MTX are gamers' fault because we demand so much from our games that they're just too expensive now

Don't pay attention to how much profit the publishers are making please!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol now he's directly talking about the concept of "Evil EA" and trying to reconcile both his love of CIG and his love of Squadrons

Yeah he did that earlier, too.

“I love EA games. I’ve played them since (obscure title) on Commodore 64!”

Remember that animated propaganda video he made and narrated, the one that talked about how “once upon a time” evil publishers put out generic games full of compromise aiming for the lowest common denominator?

Rewatch it and savor his newfound passion for EA...

Around the Verse - Episode 1.42

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

G0RF posted:

Rewatch it and savor his newfound passion for EA...

Around the Verse - Episode 1.42

Of course the whole thing is literally called "hitchhiker's guide to the star citizen" because CIG can't do ANYTHING original.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
bootcha entered the ring go bootcha!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

jpegging

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I feel like that has to be a goon comic

Lol at criticizing other games for "pay 2 win" when you're star citizen

Though to be fair, I think they made that back in 2013. It was a different time, a more innocent time. Back when the whales were only being gently milked, not completely fracked like now-a-days.

Also nice to see they put Ben in the comic:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:drat:

Forgot about that one.

I guess RBO is out on PS4, maybe I should give it a try.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also just lol at thinking about it like there are publishers with malice towards a genre

"We will destroy the space sim!"

Not understanding that its just simple market forces

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Though to be fair, I think they made that back in 2013. It was a different time, a more innocent time. Back when the whales were only being gently milked, not completely fracked like now-a-days.

More specifically it was a jab to mock :pgi: in the middle of the Transfail debacle that was capping off the biggest revolt of the mwo community, which the most successfully crowdfunded disappointment game that Star Citizen was basically the pheonix that rose out of its ashes. Early CGnoI used to play off of it in real time lowkey dunking on pgi the way other games dunk on them now. Protection made a lot of great comics at that timeframe, most were directly mocking pgi but there was lots of ones anointing crobear but were mostly for rubbing salt on pgi. iirc it was originally posted in the mwo refugee thread where Chronojam/Goonrathi mostly hung out while they were still making Starfleet Dental propaganda vids and poo poo and goonfleet was estimated in the hundreds of thousands lol. Protection was with Kong/Vassagio clan but there was some quality salt in those simpler times before Arena Commander even dropped but cgi finally banished that thread to the land of wind and ghosts because it was a real thorn in the side of pgi and eventually theirs.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yeah that sort of enthusiasm was somewhat understandable in 2013. It wasn’t yet painfully apparent that CIG was just a factory churning out dreams.text and $1500 spaceships pictures. The space sim genre was really dead, and games in general felt stuck in a rut, largely due to Sony and MS delaying the start of the new console generation for too long. I remember being caught up in some of the hype with some of my PC gamer friends. But, since I was a poor college student, I never bought in.

Later I remember the list of promised features just expanding into the Twilight Zone, and the cult becoming ever more obnoxious as they tried to hijack any tangentially related game discussion. I started to have my doubts then.

I lost track of a year or two while when I joined the Army and went through a year of training/being carted all around the country. But when I came back to it in early 2018, I couldn’t believe how far behind they were, and I went down the rabbit hole of Sunk Cost Galaxy and this thread.

What really drove it home for me was their failure to launch 3.0 in 2016, which was supposed to be the beginning foundations of turning SC from a tech demo into a real game. Then the year of silence in 2017, only for a comically striped down version to finally come out in 2018. Now going into 2021, they still haven’t delivered the full content promised for 3.0.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 4, 2020

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The thing about Lando's rant (in his stream) about the rising cost of entertainment, is that there's no self-examination. Everything is because of outside forces: The customers, the industry, the technology, the market demand...

Everything else, except self-examination.

"What are we doing, or not doing, that's causing our budgets to rise?"

It's a kind of dissonance to assume that the act of managing and making a game is so blameless for the problem of cost. A thought process borne out of the era from whence Roberts comes from.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Bootcha posted:

The thing about Lando's rant (in his stream) about the rising cost of entertainment, is that there's no self-examination. Everything is because of outside forces: The customers, the industry, the technology, the market demand...

Everything else, except self-examination.

"What are we doing, or not doing, that's causing our budgets to rise?"

It's a kind of dissonance to assume that the act of managing and making a game is so blameless for the problem of cost. A thought process borne out of the era from whence Roberts comes from.

In the grimdark future of the game industry there is only

F I D E L I T Y.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Had a few minutes to try out the new Star Wars game. It’s not Star Citizen by any means, in that it doesn’t have detailed eating and drinking and making GBS threads animations, and it doesn’t have 50,00 stupid mouse clicks to make in your cockpit to make your ship go. But it’s also not Star Citizen in that it is fun, easy to pick up, and constantly invites you to do “just one more mission.”

Sure, this game is arcadey as hell and I can see why that might make some people mad, but it’s fun and the one thing it does really well is feel like how I remember the old X-wing games feeling. I say “remember” because I almost certainly have a skewed memory of those games based on nostalgia, to the point that if I tried replaying them I’d probably be miserable. But Squadrons does a good enough job tricking my brain into thinking I am while bringing things up to modern standards that I’d rather play it than some fiddly bullshit that accurately simulates every button and fuse in the ship.

Squadrons is simple, nowhere near as complex as Star Citizen aims to be (or Elite Dangerous is, for that matter) but on the other hand every time I start to type “The flight model is simple compared to SCs” I have to remind myself that the flight model in Squadrons exists and SC’s doesn’t. I think Sarsa mentioned that Squadrons is what Sq42 should be aiming to be and I think that’s dead on lol.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Had a few minutes to try out the new Star Wars game. It’s not Star Citizen by any means, in that it doesn’t have detailed eating and drinking and making GBS threads animations, and it doesn’t have 50,00 stupid mouse clicks to make in your cockpit to make your ship go. But it’s also not Star Citizen in that it is fun, easy to pick up, and constantly invites you to do “just one more mission.”

Sure, this game is arcadey as hell and I can see why that might make some people mad, but it’s fun and the one thing it does really well is feel like how I remember the old X-wing games feeling. I say “remember” because I almost certainly have a skewed memory of those games based on nostalgia, to the point that if I tried replaying them I’d probably be miserable. But Squadrons does a good enough job tricking my brain into thinking I am while bringing things up to modern standards that I’d rather play it than some fiddly bullshit that accurately simulates every button and fuse in the ship.

Squadrons is simple, nowhere near as complex as Star Citizen aims to be (or Elite Dangerous is, for that matter) but on the other hand every time I start to type “The flight model is simple compared to SCs” I have to remind myself that the flight model in Squadrons exists and SC’s doesn’t. I think Sarsa mentioned that Squadrons is what Sq42 should be aiming to be and I think that’s dead on lol.

I haven’t played it yet but I’m watching a lot of streams I’m struck by how closely it hews to the classic dogfighter formula. Even just the chatter between squad mates between missions, the briefings, the cut scenes as glue holding the pieces together. However ambitious it was in its time, the old formula is a pretty simple one these days and pricing it at $40 feels like an acknowledgement of that fact.

Squadrons isn't what just Squadron 42 should aim to be, it’s what Chris pitched Squadron 42 to be from day 1. And if Chris hadn’t been so high on his supply, he’d have kept it that way, because he, Erin, and the old gang had a chance to deliver a satisfying version of that game to begin with.

Too late to dial it back now. Too late to knock it out of the park, too. The best anybody can hope for is the muddle to come is spectacularly bad, not just numbingly mediocre, or worse, that nothing releases at all. And I think the best thing about the Calders being onboard is that it probably forces Chris to get something out, rather than drag it out forever.

I hope the best for Motive in all this. Looks like they really nailed it. It’d be especially great if they could use Squadrons as a basis for a bigger, bolder Star Wars title to come.

PC Gamer review (83/100) posted:

If Squadrons is a success, I hope the sequel has the budget to be more ambitious with its singleplayer. I want more to do between missions than listen to monologues.

In the cockpit, though, this is probably the best a Star Wars flight game has ever felt, and that's a real feat for the spiritual successor to some truly beloved games. It deserves to be the start of a new era of Star Wars flight sims with at least a big enough budget to fit a B-Wing into the next one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's really fantastic, they managed to capture that 90's X-Wing/Tie Fighter feel and difficulty in an relatively accessible game that looks great. It's not an easy game and I imagine a lot of people new to the the genre and/or flight sims, even one like Squadrons which is fairly arcadey are having a tough time. But it's a game that has a lot of depth in it's combat, I played my first few multiplayer matches tonight and whipping around asteroids evading missiles well managing your power/weapons/shields in tight turn fights feels appropriately hectic and very rewarding.

I really hope EA changes their tune regarding DLC for this game. Or at least this is enough of a success to green light a sequel.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
It doesn't take much imagination to realize how badly Squadrons (and also any other existing games) has pinned CIG to the wall. No matter what CIG releases, it has to at least compare to what's out. Maybe not beat, but at least be in the wheelhouse.

Chris Roberts is incapable of that - his games are raw sewage even compared to classic tripe like Ride to Hell: Retribution. They can't even superficially compare, much less functionally.

So what can they possibly do? Chris is the only person who's thoroughly incapable of seeing how horrendous his digital abomination is, so it's conceivable he uses his CEO powers to kick out his single-player stillbirth, while standing with arms folded and smug look on his thumb face like a proud father, while the gaming press and public eviscerate him eagerly.

There is no path forward for CIG that's not an epic, high-water mark embarrassment.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The thing is a big selling point to Squadrons is that it's Star Wars. Even if CIG ripped this game off 1:1 no one gives a crap about the bland Star Citizen universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I read that and did a serious double-take. Boy they're not asking for much, are they?

Which is also the main reason I super don't want to get COVID. I would probably be fine even if it could suck, but I have an elderly cat who almost definitely would not be fine if I passed it on to him.

I really missed an opportunity to flex my barista skills.