Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Safety Biscuits posted:

"Idyll Days on the Yann"?

https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/dun/swld/swld09.htm

I link this all the time in this thread because I want to gift people the experience of reading it for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

<reposted from off-site SFL Archives readthrough blog>

SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 11
100% completion, 180 ruthlessly curated bookmarks.

17 items of interest.

<reposted from off-site SFL Archives readthrough blog>

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2021

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

freebooter posted:

If we're talking about public domain books, what are people's general SFF reccs for those?

Galaxy Magazine has been digitized and made freely available

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

If we're talking about public domain books, what are people's general SFF reccs for those?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923389

There was a good thread about old science fiction in the science fiction subforum.

I'll just quote one of my personal favorites:

skasion posted:

A Voyage to Arcturus is 100 this year, so just about fits in the thread! This is a really unique one.

One day some well-off British folks decide to hold a seance, not so much because they’re interested in speaking to dead people as much as because it’s a trendy social occasion. Two strangers arrive late: giant, adventurous Maskull and taciturn Nightspore. Before their eyes, the medium summons what appears to be the ghost of a smiling young man. Suddenly a loud rear end in a top hat called Krag busts in, snaps the ghost’s neck, breaks up the party, and gets Maskull and Nightspore to himself. Telling them, “Surtur has gone, and we are to follow him,” he offers to take Maskull and Nightspore on a one-way trip to the planet Tormance, orbiting the double stars of Arcturus, in a starship which he keeps in a deserted observatory in Scotland...after they get shitfaced and let Krag do a blood transfusion on them with a pocket knife so that the alien gravity won’t crush them to death, of course.

The book only gets crazier from here! Maskull finds himself abandoned alone on Tormance, seeing colors that don’t exist on earth, developing and losing telepathic powers, growing and shedding new organs and limbs every time he sleeps, getting into philosophical arguments with the widely various and entirely weird locals, having sex with and/or killing them, and maybe at some point finding the people he came here with, though maybe not, since he has no hope of return anyway.

There’s no book like this, to be honest. Its closest antecedent is MacDonald’s Phantastes, but that takes place in an eccentric fairytale setting and doesn’t have anything like the bizarre/cosmic quality of this book. CS Lewis attempted to write a couple responses from a more orthodox point of view (his Space Trilogy) but the resemblances are pretty superficial in the end. Not the most stylishly written, but if you can make it through Barsoom or Lensman books, you can and should read this.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I was interested to find most of the New Writings in SF collections in the internet archive this week - I'd been hunting a vaguely remembered story for a while.

Turned out be kind of crap (The Tertiary Justification by Michael Coney) but some other good stuff to re-read there.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And ER Eddison's "The Worm Ouraboros" is still on my shelf and I will read it some day.

This is, actually, a loving hilarious read.

I'm going to recommend some stuff that's strictly speaking not SFF nor even novels, but they're old as gently caress and have been ripped off by more SFF authors than I can count:

- Norse sagas. Bunch of these. I'd especially recommend Njál's Saga which is a lot of fun. (Do get modern translations since older ones are likely censored; for instance the whole story in Njál's Saga of revenge and counter-revenge starts off with an argument over a divorce lawsuit, where the divorce was caused by the groom's penis being too big for his wife; this detail is typically omitted from older translations.)

- Xenophon's Anabasis. Probably the oldest book I've read that I've enjoyed, outside of the Homeric epics. (Yes, yes, modern translation, I don't read ancient Greek.) Ripped off by about 50% of all MilSF authors at one point. Eyewitness account of a force of Greek mercenaries stranded deep in hostile territory and having to walk/fight their way back home through an awful lot of difficult and hostile terrain. (Kind of amusing how there's this one dude named Xenophon who has all these great ideas along the way.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Groke posted:

- Xenophon's Anabasis. Probably the oldest book I've read that I've enjoyed, outside of the Homeric epics. (Yes, yes, modern translation, I don't read ancient Greek.) Ripped off by about 50% of all MilSF authors at one point. Eyewitness account of a force of Greek mercenaries stranded deep in hostile territory and having to walk/fight their way back home through an awful lot of difficult and hostile terrain. (Kind of amusing how there's this one dude named Xenophon who has all these great ideas along the way.)

We did it as BOTM a few years ago:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762828

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Frankenstein! I was thinking I'd forgotten something important and it's Frankenstein. It's a genuinely good read though you have to be down with Victor being kind of a histrionic idiot. And it is a bit noticeable that it was Shelley's first novel and she was young when she wrote it. Still great though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I was digging around in pre-Tolkien fantasy for a while, and this is what I read in that vein that I recommend:

Alfred Lord Dunsany - "The Charwoman's Shadow" and "The King of Elfland's Daughter"

George MacDonald - "The Princess and the Goblin" (I meant to read more of his stuff but never got around to it)

William Morris - "The Well at World's End"

And ER Eddison's "The Worm Ouraboros" is still on my shelf and I will read it some day.
I'd also toss in Lud-in-the-Mist.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed on Dunsany, but I'd say his short stories are better than his novels (which aren't bad either, though).

Robert W. Chambers's The King in Yellow is also on Project Gutenberg and worth a look.

You can also get Garrett P. Serviss's Edison's Conquest of Mars, which isn't good by any stretch of the imagination but still manages to be hilarious in an overwrought late-19th-century way.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Not strictly SFF, but still in the general arena of speculative fiction, G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday is public domain and remains one of my favourite books.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

H. Beam Piper is a bit on the colonialist side but Little Fuzzy, Cosmic Computer,4-Day Planet, and Space Viking stand up really well today.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/8301

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Yes, I remember re-reading it in order to participate in that very thread. Again, surprisingly readable for being some dude's war journal from 2400 years ago.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

William Hope Hodgeson's The Night Land, from 1912, really holds up as well. It's a weird early scifi earth where the sun has gone dim.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers #2) by Becky Chambers - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CNLOZ3G/

The Last Wish (Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SIPT4/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I read this short story by Stephen Baxter, lol at the brits, eh containment? What's that.

Now that is a guy that comes up with a lot of unique ideas and interesting settings. Unfortunately it feels like he often falls short in making the settings as interesting as I feel they could have been. Also some potentially really interesting characters in some books, like Luru Parz in the xeelee books that I felt could've gone places, but never did.

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/moon6.htm

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Trying out a new thing (why fix & edit typos at two websites instead of one)
SFL Archives Vol 12a readthrough update 01
16% completion, 26 bookmarks

30 items of interest

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2021

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Space Opera by Catherynne M Valente - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZJQT6P/

The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6HYNGE/

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Silver2195 posted:

The Rougon-Macquart novels aren't just concerned with how people act, but why, i.e., the hereditary basis of human psychology and how it interacts with environmental factors. I say "hereditary" rather than "genetic" because this is a pre-Mendelian understanding of heredity. Zola understood inheritance of psychological traits in terms of Proper Lucas's prepotency theory. See the explanation here, and check out the pie chart family tree!

Naturally we don't have a very good understanding of the questions Zola was trying to address even today (studies linking a particular gene to a psychological trait tend to be overhyped), but we can at least be sure that it doesn't work like that, and perhaps more importantly, it's hard to imagine a modern novelist having the self-confidence to tackle the subject in fiction so directly and at such length.

I kind of see what you're going for here, and think I may have come up with an example that might fit. Auel's Earth's Children series mentioned in the archives that quantomfoam has been going through. A huge portion of the societal building is absolutely mired in 70's pop-sociology.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gnoman posted:

I kind of see what you're going for here, and think I may have come up with an example that might fit. Auel's Earth's Children series mentioned in the archives that quantomfoam has been going through. A huge portion of the societal building is absolutely mired in 70's pop-sociology.

Or the Doc Savage pulp novels, where Doc "fixes" criminals by operating on their brains (in one book, he describes how he discovered a "violence gland" in the brain that causes criminal behavior)? Horrific today, but back in the 30s psychosurgery was the hot new thing.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally had some downtime and managed to finish Baru 3. Great work General Battuta. Book 2 ended abruptly and suffered from publisher decisions, but drat if the payoffs in the third book weren't worth it. Baru 1 is still my favorite just on the grounds on it being more straightforward and tight but Baru 3 definitely expanded the world and did it super engrossingly. I hadn't reread the second book before diving in and I gotta say that the early parts of the book were pretty good at catching me up. I'm looking forward to B4ru and the eventual Space Baru if ever you manage to write it, but if you can't it's still an extremely solid trilogy.

Gotta say that swerve at the end had me :argh:. I've been waiting for Baru Falcrest politicking since the end of book 1 and finally got a taste at the end of the book and then you had to go and throw another curveball

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Working on a Dramatis personae list for the SFL Archives readthrough attempt I'm doing.
Because A) it's going to be a useful SFL Archives reference tool, B) writing some of this stuff down will let me free up some braincells to focus on other things and C) references to unicorn-goats, dolphin-loving, Heinlein Defense Squads, behind-the-scenes SF-LOVERS moderator drama, and epic-scale SFL Archives meltdowns sometimes need to be expanded on.

I currently have the following written up on Lauren W.@UCLA-Security
==
Lauren W. @ UCLA-Security: Lauren W. was one of the earliest recorded posters in the SF-LOVERS mailing list(They had post #7(?) in SFL Vol 01). Lauren W. had a vast knowledge of SF-related TV series & and movies & radio broadcasts, and posted complete episode guides for at least 4 different SF tv-series 18 yrs+ before wikipedia & IMDB existed. Lauren W. started up a prototype Nick @ Nite block of programming for a local SF Bay television channel roughly 1.5 yrs before Nick @ Nite launched globally in July 1985.

The movie WARGAMES 1983 made Lauren W. meltdown exceptionally hard, spending a solid 2+ months ranting how Wargames 1983 was terrible/inaccurate/making light of their 1980's computer-security job. Lauren W. never recovered their cool after their Wargames 1983 meltdown and stopped posting in the SFL Archives sometime in mid 1984.
==

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Battle Ground by Jim Butcher is out. I had spaced on it coming out so soon after the last one, but I think it came out Tuesday.

Picked up a copy of The Loop cause it sounds like it'll be interesting and creepy enough with body horror to make a good read.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Finished The Tyrant Baru Cormorant. General Battuta, more than any other author I can think of, has the astonishing ability to come up with little turns of phrase that are so densely packed with world building that you just stall out for a few seconds contemplating the implications. An excellent book.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im like a quarter into it after seeing it mentioned so much here and it's excellent. Goonspeed.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Fifth Season (Broken Earth #1) by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H25FCSQ/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

pseudorandom name posted:

Finished The Tyrant Baru Cormorant. General Battuta, more than any other author I can think of, has the astonishing ability to come up with little turns of phrase that are so densely packed with world building that you just stall out for a few seconds contemplating the implications. An excellent book.

Wait like what

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/dun/swld/swld09.htm

I link this all the time in this thread because I want to gift people the experience of reading it for the first time

This is absolutely mesmerising.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I just wanna say the full cast production of Dune is absolutely mental. Every character is voiced perfect

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ClydeFrog posted:

quote:

When people ask me about “a book that changed my life,” one of the several hundred honest answers I can give them is A Dreamer’s Tales.

http://www.ursulakleguinarchive.com/UKL-Review-Joshi-LordDunsany.html

mewse
May 2, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

I just wanna say the full cast production of Dune is absolutely mental. Every character is voiced perfect

The new film?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or the Broadway musical?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.audiofilemagazine.com/reviews/read/30903/dune-by-frank-herbert-read-by-scott-brick-orlagh-cassidy/

Some audiobooks do full cast readings.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

mewse posted:

The new film?

Of the novel

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Is there a physical book I can get with the Lord Dunsany stuff in it? Everything on Amazon looks shady or low-quality or weird.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Is there a physical book I can get with the Lord Dunsany stuff in it? Everything on Amazon looks shady or low-quality or weird.

abebooks is your best option for this.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

HopperUK posted:

The Penguin Classics edition "In the Land of Time: And Other Fantasy Tales" is a decent collection. Not as nice as finding a hard copy of The Gods of Pegana or The Book of Wonder, but better than nothing.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

HopperUK posted:

A few that I don't have in storage. The one missing its cover is At the Edge of the World and obviously needs replacing (already ordered a replacement for Don Rodriguez).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Wait like what

Sorry, I was a bit muddled in my praise here. In my defense, somebody kept me awake into the early morning with a good book.

You're really good at coming up with obsolete terms for familiar concepts that might not actually be familiar and you have little quirks of world builiding like the Falcrestian gesture to ward off evil being pantomimed handwashing (did that come about naturally because of their obsession with hygiene, or was it deliberately introduced in order to promote/reinforce the handwashing?) and then the followup of the standardized mental health exercises being described as washings.

Some other little things I found delightful:

- Xate Yawa getting high on weed, looking me directly in the eye and telling me how to pronounce her name.

- The thinly veiled poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died.

- Gratuitously making GBS threads on homeopathy, because you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HopperUK posted:

Like 3/4ths of Dunsany's books are public domain and available online with an easy search. There are good editions of two of them here: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks?query=dunsany

ClydeFrog posted:

Another thing I really love about Dunsany:

He's not following any pattern. Idle Days on the Yann especially just violates every supposed "rule" of storytelling there is. There's no beginning, no end, not really, you just get a chunk of story, like a random chapter excerpted from some un-recorded whole. There's no real conflict, just a series of scenes. There's no plot and little suspense.

Just some characters drifting through scenery.

And that's all you need.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 4, 2020