Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

How do the renown dynasty legacies perks work? I just maxed out the Blood line and forgot the second-to-last unlock is to choose a congenital trait to become more common, and I don't remember choosing one. Can I see what that trait is, or change it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Do heresies just not get the sinful clergy events or whatever? Nobody is holy warring them, I don't know why it pegs so high.

Insularists get the sinful clergy event. However, as a religion that generally starts in Ireland, if an insular ruler conquers other parts of the isles they often spread it and it’s rare that it breaks once a few decently sized rulers are insularist. In my current game Wales and non-Norse England are 100% Insular from some events around 910 and it becomes hard for the mainland to re-convert the isles.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is the court physician having to re-interview for their own job on succession a feature or a bug? It's really easy to forget to do and I honestly can't figure out why it's like this.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is the court physician having to re-interview for their own job on succession a feature or a bug? It's really easy to forget to do and I honestly can't figure out why it's like this.

Court physician seems really tacked on at the last minute. There's no warning in the suggestions window for not having one, even appointing one is buried in the character interaction menus, you can't just click on the court screen and choose from a list like you can with councilors, which is weird. I'm not sure what happens if someone gets sick and you don't have one, I wonder if you even get some kind of warning then?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am assuming in the expansions that will be fleshed out along with more minor courtiers -- give me a royal gardener! captain of the guard. jester?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

It's almost endgame and since the ai didn't build anything, my 170 bombards are taking down walls in less than two weeks. The only crusades ever called in the game were for Jerusalem and Syria and I won them all thanks to powersieging my way through, often to replace my former beneficiary who turned muslim :v: it's kinda ridiculous.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

super fart shooter posted:

Court physician seems really tacked on at the last minute. There's no warning in the suggestions window for not having one, even appointing one is buried in the character interaction menus, you can't just click on the court screen and choose from a list like you can with councilors, which is weird. I'm not sure what happens if someone gets sick and you don't have one, I wonder if you even get some kind of warning then?

You get an event where you immediately hire one from a choice of two people

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nea posted:

You get an event where you immediately hire one from a choice of two people

Yeah, but you can also appoint one directly from your court, but you have to do that manually, and there is no warning that you're missing a physician until either you or one of your close relatives get sick.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Still asking for more cool events. Game still feels a little sparse without them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Speaking of court physicians, is there a way to force this rear end in a top hat to treat me? I've been rocking wounded for like three years

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wounded can only be treated if you have a physician when it happens, think first aid. If he doesn't fix it then and there, you gotta wait until it goes away on its own unfortunately.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

dangiiittt

e; and he kicked the bucket. rip baudoin

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 3, 2020

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Is anyone else having issues with zooming in? I updated all my drivers and page up and page down don't work. Any advice?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, but you can also appoint one directly from your court, but you have to do that manually, and there is no warning that you're missing a physician until either you or one of your close relatives get sick.

.....do they even do anything if no one is ill/injured?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Excelzior posted:

.....do they even do anything if no one is ill/injured?

They fix up courtiers as well, but you don't get a message about that.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Speaking of that, there was an amusing hunt event where my genius court physician sister tried to murder my husband. No good choices there (prowess checks), but the rolled outcome of my character stepping in was everyone got wounded.

Which she then immediately patched up for all 3 of us from her 25 learning & level 3 physician.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

They fix up chop off courtier's faces as well, but you don't get a message about that.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Wasn’t there a view that showed a list of all of your characters and their eulogy screen? Like, you could scroll back and see what the game said about them? Am I misremembering?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
What's the post launch consensus on buying CK3 if you've never played CK2? It sounds like CK3 is a major leap forward, but did it release as a buggy mess?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not really a major leap toward.

It did make some improvements but it’s basically in the same place as base CK2 all those years ago

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Red Crown posted:

What's the post launch consensus on buying CK3 if you've never played CK2? It sounds like CK3 is a major leap forward, but did it release as a buggy mess?

It's the smoothest PDX launch I can remember and I've been playing their games since HoI2.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

According to the tooltip, building a temple on your vassal's turf means the vassal gets the 500 piety, not you. This seems a little dumb if I'm paying for the darn thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Red Crown posted:

It's real good, most of the issues stem from balancing, and they just pushed out a major patch to fix a lot of those.

Of course it doesn't have the same amount of content CK2 had after years of DLC, but it's a drat good base to build on for the future.

Edit: It's also a lot more beginner friendly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 4, 2020

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also I can't usurp a title that covers half of the Maghreb because the person who holds that title has one county in Scotland and is fighting a war lol

haha I badly wanted to usurp this title but these two guys kept going back in forth in back to back wars constantly and I could never do it. Got to the point where like I slowed down the game and was watching for the moment one would finally win the war so I could usurp.

I wasn't paying attention and somehow I got to negative 400 piety . How do you figure that happened?

I'm guessing it was a combination of:

* I accidentally started an ill advised holy war against laplanders which had conquered much of Wales. (didn't realize that cost piety)
* I denounced the Pope when he was caught in bed with his servants.

Any other reason? How else may I have accidentally bombed my piety?

Seems like my piety is at negative growth due to my Court Chaplain being such poo poo and also the fact that my player character Queen is a glutton. What should I do? Murder the Court Chaplain to try to get a random replacement that has better stats?

Any other ways to grow piety?

Doing some googling I guess I could do a pilgrimage...

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 4, 2020

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Trevor Hale posted:

Wasn’t there a view that showed a list of all of your characters and their eulogy screen? Like, you could scroll back and see what the game said about them? Am I misremembering?

If you click the ... in the bottom right to the left of the date display, one of the options is for that, "Lineage" I think it's called. Although I think it just shows the character portrait and some stats, not the generated textual eulogy thing determined by their traits.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Red Crown posted:

I tried CK2 near the end and there was way too much going on for me to piece things together. The new "hover to discover" tooltip thing they got going on answers a LOT of questions I wouldn't have had the patience to google, and the UI is all around very clean for a Pdox game. Also all the characters having 3D models instead of clay-faced portraits really adds to the engagement you feel with the game, more than you'd think.

I'd say now is probably the best time to jump into the franchise. If you want to take a less risky route, its also available for Xbox Gamepass for PC I think its $9.99 a month and has the added benefit of having a lot of other games to play for that month in case you bounce off of it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol how long can i make this list

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its always weird to me when the people who have max negative opinion of me arent usually the ones plotting my death. its usually some courtier or tiny vassal who is only mildly dissatisfied with me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Its always weird to me when the people who have max negative opinion of me arent usually the ones plotting my death. its usually some courtier or tiny vassal who is only mildly dissatisfied with me.

Well they may be plotting against you but can't get anyone to join. One of the weird things about the way CK3 handles plots is you can only catch the main plotter when the plot fires and they fail their secrecy roll - during the build up period no matter how good your spymaster is, they can only catch agents. So someone who absolutely hates your guts probably has a plot against you, but if they're a foreigner, everyone in your court probably hates them more than they hate you and so they're sitting there with like 10+ years on their expected completion time.

Personality traits probably affect willingness to start plots too. Someone who is just/compassionate/honest is pretty unlikely to want to try to murder you.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
i really like the genetic weirdness outside of traits. if i had more time i'd like to try a run that's just trying to maximize open-mouthedness in my dynasty. i've also noticed that after a few generations, characters with closed eyes or jagged cheek geometry start to emerge.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Hargrimm posted:

If you click the ... in the bottom right to the left of the date display, one of the options is for that, "Lineage" I think it's called. Although I think it just shows the character portrait and some stats, not the generated textual eulogy thing determined by their traits.

Thank you!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not really a major leap toward.

It did make some improvements but it’s basically in the same place as base CK2 all those years ago

It is way, way, way past base no-DLC CK2. Not as full-featured as all-DLC CK2, of course, but launch CK2 was a shell of a game compared to CK3.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Encountered a bug I haven’t seen before — when my monarch dies, I get a game over screen, even though he has many children (and siblings, etc) and it’s a primogeniture inheritance. Weirdly, on his death I get two succession notices — one where it passes, normally, to his eldest son (though there is a note on the heir saying ‘no player heir’), and one where it’s game over. It repeats, as well, on a crash-reload.

I might try giving titles to my heir before death and see if that changes anything? Really not sure what could be causing this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
They should probably have a look at vassals thinking they can call their liege to wars if they're allied with them. My vassals that are allied to me through marriages with my daughters keep starting wars with neighbouring rulers even if they're outnumbered 10-1, and I suspect it's because they think they can call me in.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Zurai posted:

It is way, way, way past base no-DLC CK2. Not as full-featured as all-DLC CK2, of course, but launch CK2 was a shell of a game compared to CK3.

Yeah in terms of content comparison CK3 base game is probably roughly equivalent to CK2 plus 5 expansions.

I have been very impressed with the way the majority of game mechanics from the expansions have been rolled into the base game.

One issue I have is the fact that in streamlining the differences between religions to work with the new modular system the religions can end up feeling very samey.

Though this seems like an easy thing to work on with an expansion.

Have there been any clues what the first content packs are going to be?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Republics or I riot

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gaius Marius posted:

Republics or I riot

Or more generally, more meaningful differences and distinctions in government styles and inheritance laws than just whatever-partition vs. whatever-geniture under feudal rules with some vague flavour added. Preferably ones that come with intriguing ways of subverting and destabilising them through intrigue and to cause more break-ups and internal struggle rather than just constant conflict between nations.

Stability is far too easy at the moment, and becomes easier the bigger you are which ends up making it easier to become bigger. It's not a very interesting (or sensible) lack-of-dynamic to have.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 4, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The weirdest part is definitely that elective successions don't take all the de jure counties along with them anymore, they're only for the bigger titles alone, and that you can't change county laws, so that even if you play the elective game well with your duchies and kingdoms, the actual poo poo that contains resources can only get handed out gavelkind for most of the game.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Man. I wish there was a tooltip on Dynastic Kinslayers explaining who they killed and why. It makes a big difference when deciding if I want to arrest and title revoke my vassal king brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Tippis posted:

Or more generally, more meaningful differences and distinctions in government styles and inheritance laws than just whatever-partition vs. whatever-geniture under feudal rules with some vague flavour added. Preferably ones that come with intriguing ways of subverting and destabilising them through intrigue and to cause more break-ups and internal struggle rather than just constant conflict between nations.

Stability is far too easy at the moment, and becomes easier the bigger you are which ends up making it easier to become bigger. It's not a very interesting (or sensible) lack-of-dynamic to have.

Yeah I agree. Oddest for me is the complete lack of negative opinion modifier for distance to capital like in CK2. Might help break up stability in large realms, and perhaps help with the still too common mass spread of Asatru realms.