Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Really? Wow. I thought those were practically the next best to omnipresent in human housings. I'm kind of baffled to hear that there are actually places in the world that don't have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cardiovorax posted:

Really? Wow. I thought those were practically the next best to omnipresent in human housings. I'm kind of baffled to hear that there are actually places in the world that don't have them.

I currently live in Vancouver, Canada and according to this graphic that is close to the northwestern limit of their range in the Americas :shrug:

I spent most of my life on the island of Newfoundland which is entirely green there so :iiam:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, neat. Now I know for the future that if someone doesn't recognize Pholcids, they're either from Canada or Siberia, I guess.

Sadly, our own critter season is starting to near its end. However, the occasional friend still comes to visit sometimes. Here are two big-rear end crane flies loving on my front door. They are even bigger than they look:

They're the most terrible and incompetent fliers you can imagine. They pretty much just randomly bumble about, usually right into people's faces. They're also about palm sized, so that's always a pleasant experience.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Scarodactyl posted:

This fills me with frustracean.
(Crustacea is generally defined by not including the hexapods)(even if jt's paraphyletic).

If ya think about it, cows are really just land cetaceans...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, neat. Now I know for the future that if someone doesn't recognize Pholcids, they're either from Canada or Siberia, I guess.

Sadly, our own critter season is starting to near its end. However, the occasional friend still comes to visit sometimes. Here are two big-rear end crane flies loving on my front door. They are even bigger than they look:

They're the most terrible and incompetent fliers you can imagine. They pretty much just randomly bumble about, usually right into people's faces. They're also about palm sized, so that's always a pleasant experience.

I hate crane flies with a passion. I have watched with glee as a spider (my kitchen spider friend at my last house) manhandled one like 5 times her size and disposed of it.

The fuckers are like the zombies of the insect world. Look at one of them too hard and a leg falls off. Try to shoo it outside and a leg or two falls off. Swat one to kill it and it disassembles into all its component parts like a particularly vindictive Mr. Potatohead with an internal glue repository.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, they're like that. I am practically a Disney Princess of insects and even I don't like those things. I still don't kill them, but I prefer having them be where I am not.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I spend so much time trying to hoosh them back outside while they do their best to bump into absolutely everything over and over again.

It's like they are perpetually drunk while trying to fly.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 3, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Worst fliers in the entire insect world, not even kidding.

In all seriousness, it's presumably an evolved answer to being big and ungainly and easy for birds to snatch out of the air. The more unpredictable their flight, the harder they are to catch both for you and for creatures that would actually like to eat them rather to merely evict them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
little known fact, crane flies are actually assembled in cupboards, dressers, and drawers, that's why you'll often find one dismantled in the back of them

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: I know this is a joke about food but insects are, in actual fact, crustaceans.

if you're allergic to shellfish you're also allergic to eating bugs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I witnessed a yellowjacket straight up murdering a big rear end crane fly at work the other day and it owned.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Phantom crane flies are cool.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i enjoy crane flies because i strongly appreciate any animal that is really dumb and terrible at life
it's a miracle you're alive, little dude. you got the heart of a champion

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I grew up calling crane flies "mosquito hawks" and believing the myth that they actually eat mosquitoes and other bugs. When I learned the terrible truth about them I felt mildly betrayed. At this point the only positive thing I can think of is that they are a staple food for Bewick's wrens, which are cool and good birds.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

As I understand it, Narceas sp. is a Cryptic Species Complex, with something around a dozen different species, all of which look identical to millipedologists, but the millipedes can tell the difference. One of the early stages of speciation, when species genetically/breeding distinct, but still look the same.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Long-tailed tit from my walk today. Cute little buggers but hard to get to sit still for a photo, this was the only usable one I got.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 5, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was out photographing mushrooms when this beautiful spider showed up. Oddly I don't recall seeing this species before, even though it should be pretty visible.

Apparenrly a marbled orb weaver. Most of the orb weavers I see are big and brown-orange and have a reputation for being bitey.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 7, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Scarodactyl posted:

I was out photographing mushrooms when this beautiful spider showed up. Oddly I don't recall seeing this species before, even though it should be pretty visible.

Apparenrly a marbled orb weaver. Most of the orb weavers I see are big and brown-orange and have a reputation for being bitey.

cool!

how big was it?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pretty big, just a little under an inch long (head and body together).
Anyone have a guess what's up with this? I have bees congregating near by box drain:

We just laid down soil and sod and have been watering so it's pretty moist, are they just thirsty?

Also got this beautiful swallowtail butterfly joining in a few feet away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They might've been thirsty. I've seen bees form a ring three rows deep around a puddle once, although that was in a field that was currently being pollinated by a commercial beekeeper.

spider8reath
Aug 17, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

Also got this beautiful swallowtail butterfly joining in a few feet away.

That's actually not a swallowtail! It's Limenitis arthemis astyanax, the red spotted purple or red spotted admiral, one of the many mimics of the pipevine swallowtail. You can often see it puddling alongside swallowtails, but you're more likely to see it eating rotting fruit or poop than flower nectar.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Seattle goon here, can I get some help identifying what this is? I've been finding them in my apartment for the past week or so and I'm not terribly thrilled. Hopefully the pic is clear enough

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Flooring tile, they’re pretty common in apartments but usually a real pain to get rid of.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

I kept it uncropped for scale :mad:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
silverfish maybe?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fawf posted:

Seattle goon here, can I get some help identifying what this is? I've been finding them in my apartment for the past week or so and I'm not terribly thrilled. Hopefully the pic is clear enough

Almost certainly a silverfish.
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/a20706230/how-to-get-rid-silverfish/

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think it's the silverfish's cousin, a firebrat?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Thank you very much, after looking into it I'm leaning towards firebrat. Seems like keeping them deterred is gonna be a pain but it's a big relief to know they at least don't get much bigger.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

spider8reath posted:

That's actually not a swallowtail! It's Limenitis arthemis astyanax, the red spotted purple or red spotted admiral, one of the many mimics of the pipevine swallowtail. You can often see it puddling alongside swallowtails, but you're more likely to see it eating rotting fruit or poop than flower nectar.
Thanks! I've wondered most of my life why so many of our local swallowtails didn't actually have swallow tails.
Edit:

My dad recently bolted down his birdfeeder because it kept getting knocked down overnight. This guy was upside down doing some mission impossible moves when I first spotted him so I think we know why now.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I still have a video of a mouse doing some crazy climbing and jumping across some flower and such to get into our own bird feeder, I need to get around to uploading that somewhere sometime, it's adorable to watch.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks! I've wondered most of my life why so many of our local swallowtails didn't actually have swallow tails.
Edit:

My dad recently bolted down his birdfeeder because it kept getting knocked down overnight. This guy was upside down doing some mission impossible moves when I first spotted him so I think we know why now.

haha :3:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Here is a spider friend contributing to the household and helping keep it pest-free by eating a silverfish. He has been at it for about two hours now, it is a big fish.

Pholcids have a lovely abdominal pattern, I never realized that before.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 10, 2020

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Always amazed at how strong and fierce they are when they seem at first look like they'd be very fragile.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No kidding. A few moments after this, spider boyo started carrying off the entire silverfish into a corner because I was getting into his face too much and it was annoying. I'll post the video later, it's kind of amazing to see.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spiders have proportional strength and agility of a spider

spider-spider, spider-spider, does whatever a spider can, spins a web, any time, watch out: here comes spider-spider

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Scarodactyl posted:

Edit:

So your dad just basically made the little bandit's job easier :lol:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Maybe, though before he could knock it over and snack at his leisure, now he has to climb all the way up and frankly he doesn't look that comfortable with it even though he keeps coming back:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Scarodactyl posted:

Maybe, though before he could knock it over and snack at his leisure, now he has to climb all the way up and frankly he doesn't look that comfortable with it even though he keeps coming back:

Come on man throw him a buck

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Anyone know what kind of spider this is? Location is Melbourne; specifically, my kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tiggum posted:

Anyone know what kind of spider this is? Location is Melbourne; specifically, my kitchen.

It's clearly their kitchen, now.