Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW G1 Climax (10/01)

YOSHI-HASHI has really been one of the stand outs in this tournament

Agreed on both counts, YOSHI-HASHI has been shockingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW G1 Climax (10/01)

YOSHI-HASHI has really been one of the stand outs in this tournament

So unsettling but true. 2nded

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: EVIL vs KENTA - NJPW G1 Climax (10/01)

Two shitheads being shitheads. EVIL gave KENTA his first great NJPW match since signing last year and this wasn't up to that standard but still really great. Loved the KENTA mind games with Togo and the story of EVIL & Dick not really giving a poo poo about the Bullet Club is interesting

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Two shitheads being shitheads. EVIL gave KENTA his first great NJPW match since signing last year and this wasn't up to that standard but still really great. Loved the KENTA mind games with Togo and the story of EVIL & Dick not really giving a poo poo about the Bullet Club is interesting

2nd

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: SANADA vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW G1 Climax Night 8, 01/10

I really wanted it to be a MOTYC but it just fell a touch short. Super hot crowd though.

HM: KENTA vs. EVIL, NJPW G1 Climax Night 8, 01/10

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
All from g1 climax 1/10

Hm: tsuji v kidd
Hm: Yoshi hashi v Tanahashi (dang close to a motyc. Would have been in tacos won lol)
HM: evil v Kenta
HM : sanada v Naito

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs. SANADA - NJPW G1 Climax (10/01)

This was probably the best match that SANADA has ever had and a top three match for Tetsuya Naito in the 2020 G1 Climax. Great stuff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

HM: SANADA vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW G1 Climax Night 8, 01/10

I really wanted it to be a MOTYC but it just fell a touch short. Super hot crowd though.

The crowd brought it up to HM for me, wish he'd lose or adapt the Skull End but I loved how super into SANADA the home crowd was.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

Jerusalem posted:

Yota Tsuji vs. Gabriel Kidd - NJPW G1 Climax Night 8 10/1

Not a joke, this Young Lions match absolutely ruled and had a fantastic ending, highly recommend watching this.

Just out of curiosity: was this a HM? If so, I definitely agree. Nth.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
G1 Climax Night 8 [10/1]
HM
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yoshi-Hashi - It was basically exactly what you'd expect from a Tanahashi vs Yoshi-Hashi match with a properly motivated Yoshi-Hashi. They didn't do anything out of the ordinary but it was good.
Tetsuya Naito vs SANADA - Pretty sloppy but solid enough, and the crowd were into it, so I'd say it's firmly at HM level.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Yota Tsuji vs Gabriel Kidd
HM: Juice Robinson vs Toru Yano
HM: KENTA vs EVIL
MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs SANADA

All from NJPW G1 Climax 01.10

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dr. Dirt posted:

Just out of curiosity: was this a HM? If so, I definitely agree. Nth.

Goddammit, I was sure I wrote HM in there. Edited it in now, and happily it now has 7 votes. I recommend people check it out, it was so good!

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

G1 Climax Night 8 [10/1]
HM
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yoshi-Hashi - It was basically exactly what you'd expect from a Tanahashi vs Yoshi-Hashi match with a properly motivated Yoshi-Hashi. They didn't do anything out of the ordinary but it was good.
Tetsuya Naito vs SANADA - Pretty sloppy but solid enough, and the crowd were into it, so I'd say it's firmly at HM level.

I'll Nth these as well.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HM - NJPW G1 Climax October 1st
Yoshi-Hashi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually watching New Japan!!! These probably aren't necessary, but I'm just so excited to have a chance to get back to watching it that I'm gonna vote regardless. Also, I've never been shy about voting.

MOTYC: Suzuki vs. Shingo at Summer Struggle 8/29
MOTYC: Suzuki vs. Ishii at G1 Night 1 9/19

HM:
Taiji Ishimori vs. Hiromu Takahashi at Summer Struggle 8/29
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi vs. Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr. at Summer Struggle 8/29
Jeff Cobb vs. Taichi at G1 Night 1 9/19

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MOTYC votes:
Taichi vs Jeff Cobb - NJPW G1 Night 1 9/19
EVIL vs ZSJ - NJPW G1 Night 2 9/20
Kota Ibushi vs Jay White - NJPW G1 Night 3 9/23

HM votes:
Jeff Cobb vs Shingo Takagi - NJPW G1 Night 3 9/23
Naito vs ZSJ - NJPW G1 Night 4 9/24

I'm behind.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Yota Tsuji vs Gabriel Kidd
HM: KENTA vs EVIL
MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs SANADA

Nth. Another great night

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

MOTYC votes:
Taichi vs Jeff Cobb - NJPW G1 Night 1 9/19

With this Taichi now has officially equaled NXT for 2020 MOTYCs and with two more votes on Okada/Taichi he'll surpass them.

Imagine someone telling you that in 2017.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Yota Tsuji vs. Gabriel Kidd - NJPW G1 Climax Night 8 10/1

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth this fine stuff. If I could bring myself to MOTYC a comedy match this would have been it. I dunno, next time borrow a stadium or something, that'd probably do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New Japan is now one MOTYC behind AEW's lead, which is nothing short of remarkable given how much of the year New Japan sat out due to COVID-19.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Maybe posting a match a few hours before the G1 starts is a bad idea but here

MOTYC: Suzu Suzuki (c) vs. Tsukushi for the ICEx∞ Championship - Ice Ribbon Knights of Ribbon (9/20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrHt6DVA4mM

there was a question in the wrestling questions thread about the best zoomer wrestlers and Suzu and Skoosh have to be in the conversation. Absolute violence from the two of them in this match. Probably one of the best joshi matches of the whole year. Wholeheartedly recommend this

also if there were a weirdest match of the year thread, I'd surely recommend this match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg4z2w11vxQ

I've seen it twice and have absolutely no idea why anything that happened in it happened. The second time was in DDT's Dropkick bar and we asked Sayaka Obihiro of Gatoh Move to explain what happened and she told us "nobody here understood that"

Re-recommending this while the G1 is sleeping

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

New Japan is now one MOTYC behind AEW's lead, which is nothing short of remarkable given how much of the year New Japan sat out due to COVID-19.

G1 is the great equalizer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm gonna upgrade my Naito/SANADA vote to MOTYC

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This was probably the best match that SANADA has ever had and a top three match for Tetsuya Naito in the 2020 G1 Climax. Great stuff

Yes

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
If we can upgrade votes then I just rewatched Okada v Taichi from night 7 and now think its a MOTYC

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
24th September
SEAdLINNNG Fall In Love With D!
Beyond The Sea Championship
Yoshiko (c) vs Sareee

So you've got TikTok Superstar Yoshiko on one side, 2019's Women's Wrestler of the Year Sareee on the other, and they beat 7 shades of poo poo out of each other. Yoshiko is a big, nasty bully, Sareee is more than capable of giving it back just as hard. Extremely good wrestling

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
24th September
SEAdLINNNG Fall In Love With D!
Beyond The Sea Championship
Yoshiko (c) vs Sareee

So you've got TikTok Superstar Yoshiko on one side, 2019's Women's Wrestler of the Year Sareee on the other, and they beat 7 shades of poo poo out of each other. Yoshiko is a big, nasty bully, Sareee is more than capable of giving it back just as hard. Extremely good wrestling

2nd, this was a real good time live

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Fall In Love With D!

Ummmmmmmmmmm

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmm

The company slogan is "Let's get d!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The company slogan is "Let's get d!"

UMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Clearly the company is just full of massive One Piece fans and their ultimate goal is to find Gol D Roger's treasure.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Rarity posted:

UMMMMMMMMMMMM!

sorry are you saying that there's something wrong with getting d Rarity

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Well it might make you tap out and lose, Hiromu is an effective grappler after all

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
A couple more HMs:

Tetsuya Naito vs. EVIL, Summer Struggle in Jingu
Jay White vs. Shingo Takagi, G1 Climax Night 1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Punch McLightning posted:

A couple more HMs:

Tetsuya Naito vs. EVIL, Summer Struggle in Jingu
Jay White vs. Shingo Takagi, G1 Climax Night 1

These weren't all that difficult to find in the voting spreadsheet, but please include dates when making nominations, it speeds things up immensely.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Still catching up. Hard to balance this with all the horror movies I'm watching.

MOTYC Votes:
09/27 | Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 5
09/27 | Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 5
09/29 | Zack Sabre Jr vs. KENTA - NJPW G1 Climax Night 6
09/30 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 7
09/30 | Will Ospreay vs. Switchblade Jay White - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 7
09/30 | Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 7

HM Votes:
09/27 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Switchblade Jay White - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 5
09/29 | Toru Yano vs. EVIL - NJPW G1 Climax Night 6
09/30 | Kota Ibushi vs. Jeff Cobb - NJPW G1 Climax Night 7

Absolutely blown away by how much I am enjoying Taichi.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And with the above votes, New Japan has now regained its place as the promotion with the most MOTYCs so far this year.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs Ryo Mizunami, Falls Count Anywhere: Gatoh Move/ChocoPro LIVE #53, 10/3

By "anywhere" they mean ANYWHERE. Shoulders touching the wall? That counts. Facing down? That counts. We are taken on a tour of Ichigaya Chocolate Square!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thread recap for September

MOTY:
  • There have been 102 MOTYCs through to the end of September, and 20 of those came from September alone. It's G1 season, baby!
  • 12 of the 20 MOTYCs this month came from the G1, all in the last 2 weeks of the month. 7 of the remaining 8 came from AEW, the last was from NOAH, and 0 came from WWE.
  • AEW has not only had the long lead it held during the pandemic era closed, but overtaken. New Japan has returned to the top of the MOTYCs list, a stunning achievement given the lengthy hiatus New Japan took during the worst of the pandemic in Japan.
  • Five matches have registered enough votes to be listed as ALMOST making MOTY Status during September. The breakdown of these was New Japan (3) and AEW (2).
  • Fourteen matches received more than 1 MOTY vote but less than 4 over the last two months, a list of these will be included at the end of this post.

WMOTY:
  • There have been 33 WMOTYCs so far this year. 4 in January, 4 in February, 1 in March, 6 in April, 4 in May, 3 in June, 3 in July, 3 in August and 5 in September.
  • The breakdown of WMOTYCs over September was AEW (3), NWA (1) and WWE (1).
  • All three of AEW's WMOTYCs were from the All Out PPV. One of those was ALSO voted a MOTYC, and another an Honorable Mention. The Sammy Guevara/Matt Hardy match, however, was universally loathed.
  • Matches In September that received more than 1 WMOTY vote but less than the 5 needed were: Jon Moxley vs. Mark Sterling (AEW); Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy (AEW); and Drew McIntyre vs. Randy Orton (WWE).

Honorable Mentions:
  • 108 (!) matches received at least 1 honorable mention vote during September.
  • Of those, 27 received the 7 votes (or 4 MOTY votes) necessary to make the HM list.
  • The breakdown of successful HM votes for September was: AEW (15); New Japan (12).

NOMINATIONS FOR SEPTEMBER STILL NEEDING VOTES:

MOTYs with more than 1 vote (in bold are close to the threshold):
09/01 | The Deaners vs. XXXL - Impact (2 votes)
09/05 | Dr. Britt Baker vs. Big Swole in a Tooth & Nail Match - AEW All Out (5 votes)
09/05 | The Young Bucks vs. Jurassic Express - AEW All Out (5 votes)
09/05 | Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy in a Mimosa Mayhem Match - AEW All Out (3 votes)
09/15 | Megabyte Ronnie vs. Brian Cage - AEW Dark (2 votes)
09/18 | Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Masaaki Mochizuki - NOAH N1 Victory (2 votes)
09/19 | Mei Suruga vs. Yunamon - GatohMove/Chocopro Live 49 (3 votes)
09/20 | Toru Yano vs. SANADA - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 2 (3 votes)
09/20 | KENTA vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 2 (3 votes)
09/20 | Juice Robinson vs. YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 2 (4 votes)
09/20 | EVIL vs. Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 2 (6 votes)
09/20 | Suzu Suzuki (C) vs. Tsukushi for the ICEx∞ Championship - Ice Ribbon Knights of Ribbon (2 votes)
09/21 | Naruki Doi vs. Kzy - Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate (2 votes)
09/21 | Jason Lee & Kota Minoru vs. Dragon Kid & Susumu Yokuska for the Open the Twin Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate (3 votes)
09/24 | Yoshiko (C) vs. Sareee - SEAdLINNNG Fall In Love With D! (2 votes)
09/24 | EVIL vs. YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 4 (3 votes)
09/27 | Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 5 (4 votes)
09/30 | Kota Ibushi vs. Jeff Cobb - NJPW G1 Climax Night 7 (2 votes)
09/30 | Darby Allin vs. Ricky Starks - AEW Dynamite (2 votes)

WMOTYs with more than 1 vote (in bold are close to the threshold):
09/02 | Jon Moxley vs. Mark Sterling - AEW Dynamite (2 votes)
09/05 | Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy in a Mimosa Mayhem Match - AEW All Out (3 votes)
09/27 | Drew McIntyre (C) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship - WWE Clash of Champions (4 votes)

Honorable Mentions with more than 1 vote (in bold are close to the threshold):
09/01 | Kaz vs. Angelico - AEW Dark (3 votes)
09/02 | Best Friends vs. Proud & Powerful - AEW Dynamite (6 votes)
09/05 | LIJ (Hiromu & BUSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Ishimori and Gedo) - New Japan Road (4 votes)
09/05 | Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy in a Mimosa Mayhem Match - AEW All Out (6 votes)
09/06 | Hiromu Takahashi/BUSHI vs. Master Wato/Ryusuke Taguchi - NJPW New Japan Road (3 votes)
09/08 | Ricky Starks vs. Ben Carter - AEW Dark (2 votes)
09/09 | CHAOS (Goto, Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, and Uemura) vs. CHAOS (Okada, Yano, SHO, and Gabriel Kidd) - NJPW New Japan Road (6 votes)
09/09 | Ultimo Dragon, Don Fujii & Shuji Kondo vs. Kento Kobune, Taketo Kamei & Madoka Kikuta - Dragon Gate's Storm Gate 2020 (2 votes)
09/09 | Joey Janela & Sonny Kiss vs. Chris Jericho and Jake Hager - AEW Dynamite (3 votes)
09/09 | Nyla Rose vs. Tay Conti - AEW Dynamite (2 votes)
09/11 | LIJ (Hiromu & BUSHI) vs. Suzuki-Gun (Desperado & Kanemaru) - New Japan Road (5 votes)
09/12 | Yunamon vs. Chris Brookes - Gatoh Move/Chocopro (5 votes)
09/15 | Shotaro Ashino vs. Kento Miyahara - All Japan Pro Wrestling Champion Carnival Night 3 (2 votes)
09/15 | Jake Lee vs. Suwama - All Japan Pro Wrestling Champion Carnival Night 3 (2 votes)
09/16 | Private Party vs. Chris Jericho/Jake Hager - AEW Dynamite (3 votes)
09/18 | Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Masaaki Mochizuki - NOAH N1 Victory (3 votes)
09/18 | Go Shiozaki vs. Manabu Soya - NOAH N1 Victory (4 votes)
09/19 | Will Ospreay vs. Yujiro Takahashi - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 1 (5 votes)
09/20 | Toru Yano vs. SANADA - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 2 (5 votes)
09/20 | KENTA vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 2 (5 votes)
09/20 | Manabu Soya vs. Masa Kitamiya - NOAH N1 Victory Night 3 (2 votes)
09/20 | Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Maasaki Mochizuki - NOAH N1 Victory Night 3 (3 votes)
09/20 | Takashi Suguira vs. Shuhei Taniguchi - NOAH N1 Victory Night 3 (3 votes)
09/21 | Maki Itoh & Mizuku vs. Shoko Nakajima & Yuka Sakazaki - TJPW Live With Your Time (3 votes)
09/21 | Kaito Ishida (C) vs. Yosuke♡Santa Maria for the Open the Brave Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate (3 votes)
09/21 | Dragon Gate (Ben-K, Dragon Dia, Strong Machine J) vs. R.E.D for the Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate (3 votes)
09/22 | Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Masa Kitamiya - NOAH N1 Victory (2 votes)
09/22 | Go Shiozaki vs. Kazushi Sakuraba - NOAH N1 Victory (2 votes)
09/23 | Kenoh vs. Yoshiki Inamura - NOAH N1 Victory Afternoon Show (3 votes)
09/23 | Katushiko Nakajima vs. Shuhei Taniguchi - NOAH N1 Victory Afternoon Show (3 votes)
09/23 | Shawn Spears vs. Matt Sydal - AEW Late Night Dynamite (3 votes)
09/23 | Tomohiro Ishii vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 3 (4 votes)
09/23 | Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Kazushi Sakuraba - NOAH N-1 Victory Evening Show (2 votes)
09/23 | Go Shiozaki vs. Masaaki Mochizuki - NOAH N-1 Victory Evening Show (2 votes)
09/23 | Kenoh vs. Naomichi Marufuji - NOAH N-1 Victory Evening Show (2 votes)
09/23 | Katsuhiko Nakahima vs. Takashi Sugiura - NOAH N-1 Victory Evening Show (2 votes)
09/23 | Hangman Adam Page vs. Evil Uno - AEW Dynamite (3 votes)
09/23 | Mr. Brodie (C) vs. Orange Cassidy for the TNT Championship - AEW Dynamite (6 votes)'
09/24 | SANADA vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 4 (4 votes)
09/26 | Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Yoshiki Inamura - NOAH N1 Victory (3 votes)
09/26 | Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Manabu Soya - NOAH N1 Victory (3 votes)
09/26 | Go Shiozaki vs. Masa Kitamiya - NOAH N1 Victory (3 votes)
09/27 | Minoru Suzuki vs. Jeff Cobb - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 5 (2 votes)
09/27 | Sami Zayn (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. Jeff Hardy for the Intercontinental Championship - WWE Clash of Champions (6 votes)
09/29 | Toru Yano vs. EVIL - NJPW G1 Climax Night 6 (5 votes)
09/30 | FTR (C) vs. SCU for the AEW Tag Titles - AEW Dynamite (4 votes)
09/30 | Jon Moxley (C) vs. The Butcher for the AEW World Championship - AEW Dynamite (4 votes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Neodoomium posted:

MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs Ryo Mizunami, Falls Count Anywhere: Gatoh Move/ChocoPro LIVE #53, 10/3

By "anywhere" they mean ANYWHERE. Shoulders touching the wall? That counts. Facing down? That counts. We are taken on a tour of Ichigaya Chocolate Square!

Nth. It was a really enjoyable match.