Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you can and most fourth wall breaking shows do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Alchenar posted:

Either it's a motif that the characters in the show have watched all of Star Trek or it isn't. You can't just flip between the two when you feel like it and it highlights the laziness of the writing.

lolol I can't believe you didn't call out the Star Trek references I made in my post! You can't just flip between calling out references and not calling them out! It highlights the laziness of the posting! lolol

Edit: And quit putting two spaces after periods, ya big nerd.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't feel like it's even that they've all "seen Star Trek" it's that Star Trek events are treated as general knowledge. It's like following a through-line from the thought "what if discoveries in one episode became important in the setting" but instead of tech or weapons it's sociocultural. So the confrontation with Chang was a real event, probably referenced in casual conversation and humor, and maybe people were even aware of what Chang quoted and "is she quoting The Tempest?" is a reaction to her odd choice of Shakespeare allusion. This is a lot of words about Trek... but in summation it seems self-consistent.

Also I'm sorry I know I do the two spaces after a period, I'll never get better

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Also the name-dropping is usually being done by the lower decks ensigns who are all big Starfleet nerds to some degree or another, whereas it was Ransom who was confused about the Tempest-quoting.

The bridge crew have been pretty consistently disinterested in the sort of minutia that the lower decks like to ramble on about, so this is a case of consistent characterization, which some people might actually call good writing.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Mariner is obviously aware of ST6 and Chang, which is why she did the Tempest quote.
Just because Boimler didn't make a comment doesn't mean he didn't catch the reference.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just assume that in the Star Trek universe, bad guys are constantly quoting Shakespeare at Starfleet captains

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just assume that in the Star Trek universe, bad guys are constantly quoting Shakespeare at Starfleet captains

Yeah. It's as constant as the northern star.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. It's as constant as the northern star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBc4q4P9aLo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tomalak: Do you bite your thumb, Picard

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Tomalak: Do you bite your thumb, Picard

Mute main screen. Number One, is the Prime Directive on my side if I say aye?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Holy poo poo that was fantastic. I really hope the character development with Mariner keep. Though I kinda want Bromiler's discovery to only be a problem with him, and everyone else is like "yea we all know, its not a big deal. Wait you didn't know?"

Parodies of the Trek films were so spot on.

THERAPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm solidly in the camp of "It's not a secret, they just don't talk about it". Kinda like how Mariner let Boimler assume they're the same age when they're clearly at least ten years apart.

MikeJF posted:

Generally for an animated show like this you'd have a bunch of character sheets for backgrounders, so you don't have to come up with a new design every single time, you're just like "use background crew #34 here and #12 there". That also means that you end up with the effect of having a noticeable consistent population to the setting as a side effect - if you want to put the effort in, you can even divide them up into groups more likely to be in different areas or doing certain jobs.

That also conveniently means that when you want a random-of-the-week person you can always pull an appropriate sheet from the roster to use for it and they'll have been there all along.

There is that, but in that scene there's also a bit of characterization. During that sequence, they show a bunch of crewmates struggling, panicking, and otherwise poorly coping with the unreasonable deadlines. The zoom in on Fletcher and show him actively botching his tasks in order to make up time. He shoves a bunch of modules haphazardly and rushes off to his next task. What gets him fired? Shoving a bunch of trash into the warp core. Not to mention that a single group of writers wrote the entire series at one go, so they probably knew from the drop who Fletcher was and what they wanted him to be.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 3, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, that. I really don't want that word anywhere near Trek, even in a raunchy comedy, so... :ohdear:

Admiral loving Hubris calling you on line one

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Phylodox posted:

"I am constant as the northern star!" and "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!" Julius Caesar

"To be or not to be?" Hamlet.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends!" Henry V

"Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us...shall we not revenge?" The Merchant of Venice

its best in its original Klingon

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Admiral loving Hubris calling you on line one

I don't really want to revisit that conversation, but I'm fine with "gently caress", I'm an idiot and thought it was something far worse for about ten minutes.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

It would've been less ambiguous if they had bleeped it as "***ks", or better yet, let Tendi bleep it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, having watched it today it's... not the most obvious what she was supposed to have said.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

It would've been less ambiguous if they had bleeped it as "***ks", or better yet, let Tendi bleep it.

I mean, you can clearly hear the F and ks. They only really bleeped out the vowel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I rewatched it again today, and yeah, it’s annoyingly unclear, and genuinely does sound like she might actually be saying the gay slur based on the sound at the end of the beep. :/

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The_Doctor posted:

I rewatched it again today, and yeah, it’s annoyingly unclear, and genuinely does sound like she might actually be saying the gay slur based on the sound at the end of the beep. :/

I took it as that at first, but then figured that it had to be fucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I can't stop smiling at this every time I see it

Aw I almost got a pint glass with it on there but it's like twenty fuckin' bucks https://shop.startrek.com/collections/lower-decks/pint-glasses

can you do your own print somewhere?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I just sat down to watch this episode of Lower Decks. The motion picture fly by had me actually laugh out loud. I needed that after both my parents tested positive for Covid this week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A.o.D. posted:

I'm solidly in the camp of "It's not a secret, they just don't talk about it".
Pretty sure the captain literally said it was a secret.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure the captain literally said it was a secret.

the captain is kind of nuts though

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It does seem extremely unlikely that, say, the Chief Medical Officer hasn't noticed that they're genetically related.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It would definitely be in her file, and the chief medical officer would definitely have access to that file. It probably wouldn’t be public, since it would be problematic from an HR perspective if any random crewmember were able to read a coworker’s entire biography, but it’s really unlikely that at least some of the senior staff is aware.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Assuming it's not a case of misleading editing, Mariner definitely reacts like it's a secret - at least to her ensign peers - in the preview for the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jGNxYM3b5k

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
It's a little odd then that holo-Mariner's first words to Vindicta were to tell her the captain's her mother.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Crashbee posted:

It's a little odd then that holo-Mariner's first words to Vindicta were to tell her the captain's her mother.

Well, it was a dramatic fight to the mutual death so probably ok to drop some tension nuggets there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bit about the lower decks music, also they confirm that production was really rushed before the premiere because Lower Decks was moved up two months in the schedule at the last minute (probably switching launch date with Discovery to give Discovery some extra production time), on top of Covid slowing everything down unexpectedly.

Also

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1312547276464640000

Given the confusion maybe they'll redo the bleep for the future to make it clearer what she's not saying.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 4, 2020

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Personally I'd rather they just don't bleep it at all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's CBS All Access, they don't have to bleep at all... so why do they? :confused:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I find bleeps funnier, tbh.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mage_Boy posted:

I just sat down to watch this episode of Lower Decks. The motion picture fly by had me actually laugh out loud. I needed that after both my parents tested positive for Covid this week.

sorry to hear it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drone posted:

It's CBS All Access, they don't have to bleep at all... so why do they? :confused:

It airs on cable here in Canada at least so it’s not strictly for streaming consumption.

I’d also love to have a non-bleeped option though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Martytoof posted:

It airs on cable here in Canada at least so it’s not strictly for streaming consumption.

I’d also love to have a non-bleeped option though.

They don't bleep Picard on CTV SciFi though

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

They don't bleep Picard on CTV SciFi though

Really? Huh. Then maybe this is just a case of “maybe kids are watching” and it’s easier to make one audio track upload an alt-audio track.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah I think the bleeps are genuinely funnier than swears in this show's setting.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Weren't they still in the movie holo at that point I just assumed the bleeping was part of that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleeped swears are often funnier

The radio version of The Roof is on Fire being loving hilarious because of the censoring comes to mind immediately

The "gently caress"s in discovery were so off-putting by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

Bit about the lower decks music, also they confirm that production was really rushed before the premiere because Lower Decks was moved up two months in the schedule at the last minute (probably switching launch date with Discovery to give Discovery some extra production time), on top of Covid slowing everything down unexpectedly.

Also

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1312547276464640000

Given the confusion maybe they'll redo the bleep for the future to make it clearer what she's not saying.

Wow that is the strangest way I've heard a line reading for "fucks". She made it sound like "fox". I can definitely see the confusion/apprehension now.

The Bloop posted:

Bleeped swears are often funnier

The radio version of The Roof is on Fire being loving hilarious because of the censoring comes to mind immediately

The "gently caress"s in discovery were so off-putting by comparison

agreed, but I have to admit I still get a good chuckle out of "sheer loving hubris".