Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Radiation Cow posted:

I loved the Fallen London setting way back, so I'd be happy to take this off your hands.

Sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Chris Avellone kind of ducked most of the major consequences of being called out but he's not really doing anything other then posting on RPG codex

He hasn't been on rpg codex for a couple years apparently.

He essentially admitted his wrongdoing, told folks to NOT defend him then went radio silent which is why It's mostly blown over.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gort posted:

Are you putting your cast onto stuff? That's a big damage boost if I remember right.

Not til you get the relevant mirror upgrade. That one and the one that give you 20% damage per level versus enemies with two or more status effects are pretty clutch for pushing through the wall that is the third floor, and it's kind of questionable that they're locked behind upgrades.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah Privileged Status can make or break runs till you figure out enemy routines and good boon combos.
Most importantly make sure you aren't banging on the shields a lot in Elysium.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 4, 2020

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Alright, Steam-specific question because with all the improvements to the UI, I still struggle with this one... Is there a way to see a list of what DLC is available for the games you have? I generally only figure out I'm missing some while playing and would like to be able to see what I'm missing so I can wishlist some more stuff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zereth posted:

My tip is check if you're sure you need to deal with them. If you can just... leave, do so.

If there is something you need right under them and you have the Camouflage skill, kill a normal zombie and use that so you don't have to fight it at all.

Noted. Mostly it's been killing the ones in safe zones to unlock them, but I guess there's only so many of those, so that's alright.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

bagmonkey posted:

Alright, Steam-specific question because with all the improvements to the UI, I still struggle with this one... Is there a way to see a list of what DLC is available for the games you have? I generally only figure out I'm missing some while playing and would like to be able to see what I'm missing so I can wishlist some more stuff.
Sadly, no. You can check for each individual game, but as much as people have been asking for that as a convenience feature, it has never and currently still isn't part of the client or the store website.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Noted. Mostly it's been killing the ones in safe zones to unlock them, but I guess there's only so many of those, so that's alright.

The best way to kill them is with the bow, which unfortunately you don't get until survivor level 9.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Sadly, no. You can check for each individual game, but as much as people have been asking for that as a convenience feature, it has never and currently still isn't part of the client or the store website.

Doesn't Enhanced Steam have something like that?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

Dunno if you wanted more info about each DLC other than price, but https://steam.madjoki.com/apps/mydlc will show you what you're missing for each game, and https://steam.madjoki.com/apps/free [filter to DLC] will show any free DLC for the games you might have, and let you add it.

You'll have to log in to the site via steam, but I can confirm it's safe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tight aspirations posted:

Dunno if you wanted more info about each DLC other than price, but https://steam.madjoki.com/apps/mydlc will show you what you're missing for each game, and https://steam.madjoki.com/apps/free [filter to DLC] will show any free DLC for the games you might have, and let you add it.

You'll have to log in to the site via steam, but I can confirm it's safe.

I really don't understand why Steam doesn't have a feature like that. It seems like an easy way to drive up sales and it wouldn't even be all that hard to build.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pentyne posted:

Doesn't Enhanced Steam have something like that?
Augmented Steam, yes. Since it's third-party I didn't count it here, but I suppose if you're willing to use it anyway, then there's that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know I'm not the first to say it, but Control really doesn't need some of its RPG elements, particularly the more "Looter" type stuff. The Mods are all uninteresting and *just* minor enough that getting a particular one doesn't feel like it changes up your whole build or anything. I'm playing with healthbars off and this has been perfectly fine right up until it isn't. The game uses, ugh, levelled enemies which has meant I've beem happily blasting my way through Hiss and then I'll try to do an alert and suddenly this random security guard shrugs off Pierce shots like they're nothing and hits like a truck.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Just use any and all guns you have in your inventory against them. They only have one ranged attack when they throw concrete at you or whatever and it's trivial to dodge while you unload on their face. It's the only thing guns are good for in the game.

For the human enemies you should just be drop kicking them all except for the other runners who you will need to push and beat with your weapons. Honestly you should just drop kick everything because it never gets old watching someone fly off a roof, into the water, or into a crowd of zombies and knocking them all down.

municipal shrimp fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 4, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

When i played i used the skill that lets you throw melee weapons against them. I forget how many throws it takes but i think they go down in like 2 or 3. Just throw the big 2 hander weapons, like the rebar they use against you, at the guys and they r no problem at all.

For humans i just shot them in the head with guns, they were too much of a hassle to try to fight normally

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think the weapon throw skill actually scales with the "weight" of the weapon to a degree, so the big, two-handed rebar clubs used to be considered some of the best throwables around.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i swear running around at night in Dying Light is better than in the day in every way except visibility

I lose less survivor XP to derping, I gain tons more just for playing, volatile patrols aren't hard to evade, they take a year and a half to go aggro even if they can see you, and... the chases when they do manage all that? they are a lot of fun!

(e) 2 or 3? poo poo, it was taking me a laborious 5 or 6 two-hander throws to knock them out :raise:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 4, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can craft night vision potions from herbs & flourescent shrooms. It's a survivor level 3 skill.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So Serious Sam 4 eventually pulls what every game with limited use but extremely powerful items... makes you lose them all during a story cutscene so always be using them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've finally, finally clicked with Tropico 4! Thanks to its relatively slow pace it's perfect for building a thriving community while reading a good book and ahhhh yes this is the stuff, I love setting up my farms and building schools and succeeding. :D

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

i'm out of missions except main story - middle of a pact with rais (quoth crane just now: "So I just threatened to break an old man's legs... so there's that..."). Been running at night when I can and avoiding the volatiles (that's specifically the patrolling zombies of Ouch, right); I haven't seen a "bolter" since the initial cutscene at the antizin drop

so learning the art of the molotov has helped me a lot, but i still can't figure out how to fight zombie Terry Crews with any sort of speed. best i've done so far is like 15 throwing stars, which seems expensive for my progress

Bow and Arrows wreck them, and they are slow enough you have a day and a half to aim. If you can get up on a roof top, even better. Bonus is that the arrows can be recovered so no resource cost as long as you clean up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've finally, finally clicked with Tropico 4! Thanks to its relatively slow pace it's perfect for building a thriving community while reading a good book and ahhhh yes this is the stuff, I love setting up my farms and building schools and succeeding. :D

I've got 4 I think. I got kinda turned off of it due to the whole "dictator" thing but you can slide it towards an actual "good" country?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

I've got 4 I think. I got kinda turned off of it due to the whole "dictator" thing but you can slide it towards an actual "good" country?
The whole "banana republic" concept is pretty central to the series, since the entire central conceit is that you are El Presidente for life, but don't let that turn you off of the games. You don't have to roleplay as a totalitarian rear end in a top hat or anything. You can, but by and large, you get by through making your island a nice place where people actually enjoy living.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

You can make a pretty darn decent country for your citizens, actually! Much more equal and social than any real country. Free housing for all, free education, free healthcare. And you can hold elections without rigging them too so you don't have to be/stay a dictator.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Irritated Goat posted:

In a lot of the games it is fact much easier to be nice to people, since with free healthcare and all that everyone is usually happy and nobody wants to rebel

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

You can run your islands however, it doesn't matter. It's actually way easier to make a Paradise because the combat is kind of bad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I forget which Tropico game I got into the series with, but in that one I recall the elections getting progressively more difficult to win each time, which added a much-needed sense of challenge to what's effectively a zoomed-in Caribbean-themed Simcity game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tropico is a clever critique of American perceptions regarding Latin American leftist governors. Or so I've been told, I never actually played the drat games.

Re: Hades, it's pretty hard to get a win early on if you're not already pretty good at the game, unlocking Privileged Status helps massively.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tropico is a lot of things, but I'm not really sure I'd call it clever.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

I feel if someone has to tell me this outside the game, then it doesn't matter

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like if this is in a Disney property, then it really doesn't matter.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean it doesn't actually matter because there will be no talking about the characters outside the game aside from comments like "Boy they sure got a lot of bad acting done huh" because the interstitial stuff in Squadrons is very not good.

There's nothing wrong with it fundamentally though.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cardiovorax posted:

Tropico is a lot of things, but I'm not really sure I'd call it clever.

they made a game where it’s literally better to serve in heaven than reign in hell

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

strategery posted:

I feel if someone has to tell me this outside the game, then it doesn't matter

But if it's directly mention inside the game it's harder to cut out for the chinese market.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

DatonKallandor posted:

But if it's directly mention inside the game it's harder to cut out for the chinese market.

I mean if cutting it out results in no fundamental difference, what does it add?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

strategery posted:

I mean if cutting it out results in no fundamental difference, what does it add?

Rainbow capitalism woke points, basically lots of nice free advertising and a smile to place over the horrible poo poo you do.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Just be clear that it’s the artificiality of the inclusivity that’s galling.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Just wanted to put some thoughts down about BPM: Bullets Per Minute, the FPS rogue-like rhythm-em-up that came out recently.

Is it a Good Game I would recommend to anyone? No. Is it a Cool Experience I would encourage people to try? Absolutely.

As a roguelike where you need to match the beat the obvious comparison is Necrodancer, but it actually feels pretty different even beyond the perspective change. Unlike Necrodancer your movement is completely independent of the beat - it's just shooting, dodging and reloading that have to be carefully timed. You're also not forced to do one of those each beat, and the freedom that gives you makes you feel like you're actually adding to and enhancing the soundtrack, rather than just playing along with it. I find myself delaying certain actions because if I wait another couple of beats to reload it'll sound so good.

That's ultimately why I've hugely enjoyed my time with it, even though it's kinda lacking in other regards. The basic gameplay never really gets mixed up as you go through it, the enemy variety is poor and the different characters change it up too much either. On the plus side the weapon variety is pretty cool, with each of the having different firing and reloading patterns: a revolver that needs a button press to manually load each bullet, a shotgun that needs cocking between each shot by pressing the fire button on-beat, a minigun that you can just hold the button down but has to slowly spin up.

For me it's unique enough that it was well worth it despite the shortcomings. The good news is that you'll have seen enough to be able to tell if you like it well before the 2 hour refund window is up, so I'd recommend trying it out if it sounds interesting - just make sure you rebind reload to right-mouse.

(I think this video does a pretty good job showing off the gameplay, since I now realise I didn't go into that at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvExUc54HUg)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Think I'd agree with all of that - including, especially, the bit about working with the soundtrack for your actions, instead of acting because you have to a la Necrodancer. Mixing up shots and reloads between beats, half-beats and rests to play with the music is extremely satisfying (god I love that six-shooter). The actual game could use work - getting a clear seems 90% dependent on luck with finding abilities & weapons, enemy variety is naff, and I'm still pretty :raise: about the whole monochrome thing since I regularly miss things on the map.

Anyone who gets jollies out of game music or rhythm games should at least demo this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Back at Dying Light: I turned off the multiplayer stuff from the word go. I've no interest in the competitive modes, but I wonder if co-op's worth turning back on or if it'd trivialize the game