Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I thought it was found out to be a gas station attendant like 2 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know if it's true, but there was a recent Reply All episode that explained the whole thing. The gist of that story was that the original Q was a nutso middle-aged conspiracy theorist in South Africa, but the persona was hijacked by the father-son scam team in the Philippines who own 2chan.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s been a bunch of different takes on QANON’s origin.

The Reply All podcast recently covered the topic and provides a bunch of background. The episode is called Country of Liars. Take everything the main witness says with a grain of salt though. He oversaw pedophilia, terrible bigotry and school shooters’ posts during his tenure at 8chan and has also been feuding with his former partner for a long time now. The feud predates his accusation, which is odd timing to say the least. Not exactly an unbiased account.

The one interesting takeaway is that it used to be kind of a meme to pick a hashtag implying one was a government insider and spout bizarre cryptic poo poo. There were a bunch of these and for whatever reason, QANON is the one that got attention outside of the chans.

Edit: my understanding of the way most chans work is that when threads are disappear, they are gone forever. That’s probably not entirely true, but they are also shady places that have to change providers every time someone sends cloudflare or Verizon or whoever an email to let them know they are hosting furry neonazi pedos. So while maybe there is a firstpost sitting around somewhere, good luck finding it. Internet archive is probably the best bet, but you would need a specific date or url to narrow it down.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 2, 2020

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Oh, thanks, I frequently listen to Reply All but must have skipped that one.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want a new tea mug like this:

But with a fun or custom design on it. Where do I look for that online? Etsy?

The Zazzle custom mugs are the best quality if you want one mug with your own design on it. If you want someone else’s design on a mug, the Society6 ones are decent quality and reliable about paying artists.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Apart from Ljubljana, how many places claim to be where St. George slew the dragon?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A couple of places in Georgia, Greece and Russia at least.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How come Vegemite is salty?

It was originally made from beer byproduct, right? Salt isn't used in beermaking.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, it's made from brewer's yeast mixed with salt

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Two of the three ports for the gas lighter in my wood burning fireplace in my new home appear to be corroded/rusted shut. I was planning on giving it a vigorous brushing with a wire brush, then taking a hack saw and gently sawing at the corroded bits to reopen the vents. Is this a good idea? Or should I just call a professional out? I'd replace the whole thing, but the pipe extends beyond the brick, and I'd pretty much have to cut the pipe and thread the pipe, something I don't feel comfortable doing myself.

^This one looks and works fine, but it's the other two I'm worried about.

^This is the one on the far left. It burns a little, but it's obviously clogged. The stuff that appears to be coated on peels off if I pick at it. Any idea what that is? I guess the previous home owners never cleaned it?

^This one is so blocked up it won't even light.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I want to transfer some video files from my friends Macbook onto my Windows PC. If I remember correctly, I will run into some issues using a flash drive or an external hard drive going from a Mac to a Windows, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Busy Bee posted:

I want to transfer some video files from my friends Macbook onto my Windows PC. If I remember correctly, I will run into some issues using a flash drive or an external hard drive going from a Mac to a Windows, right?

If you have a drive you don’t mind emptying, format it as ExFAT. On MacOS, Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities can do this.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh really please tell me more that is my stupid/small question

I'd be interested in hearing your support that marriage isn't inherently misogynistic from sociocultural perspectives from many different cultures across the world. That's my small question.

Also, really super cool that you used the "jerk off emote" alone, with no other words, to pretend that marriage isn't misogynistic.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Goons, what's yer best way to rid yourself of an earworm, assuming you can't blast some other music? It's 2AM here and I can't get a terrible song out of my head without waking up my husband.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

The Sean posted:

I'd be interested in hearing your support that marriage isn't inherently misogynistic from sociocultural perspectives from many different cultures across the world. That's my small question.

Also, really super cool that you used the "jerk off emote" alone, with no other words, to pretend that marriage isn't misogynistic.

oh my god this is sooo last page

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Goons, what's yer best way to rid yourself of an earworm, assuming you can't blast some other music? It's 2AM here and I can't get a terrible song out of my head without waking up my husband.

me, i sing it real loud. but that would wake him up too... good luck

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Sean posted:

I wouldn’t because it sounds loving awful

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Ask a friend to rick-roll you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Have an existential crisis.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’ve heard it said that some earworms happen when you don’t know the whole song; your brain keeps trying to resolve it. i don’t know how true it is, but you could try listening to the song in its entirety and reading the lyrics

i live with at least one song in my head constantly, though it’s more an ocd thing

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Sean posted:

inherently misogynistic from sociocultural perspectives from many different cultures across the world. That's my small question.

You're moving the goalposts. No one's claiming that marriage hasn't historically in many cultures been misogynistic, but that's a totally different statement from saying that marriage is always as a current concept in all cultures misogynistic. HTH.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Two of the three ports for the gas lighter in my wood burning fireplace in my new home appear to be corroded/rusted shut. I was planning on giving it a vigorous brushing with a wire brush, then taking a hack saw and gently sawing at the corroded bits to reopen the vents. Is this a good idea? Or should I just call a professional out? I'd replace the whole thing, but the pipe extends beyond the brick, and I'd pretty much have to cut the pipe and thread the pipe, something I don't feel comfortable doing myself.

^This one looks and works fine, but it's the other two I'm worried about.

^This is the one on the far left. It burns a little, but it's obviously clogged. The stuff that appears to be coated on peels off if I pick at it. Any idea what that is? I guess the previous home owners never cleaned it?

^This one is so blocked up it won't even light.

i'd just open up the holes a little, what's the worst that could happen?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Organza Quiz posted:

You're moving the goalposts. No one's claiming that marriage hasn't historically in many cultures been misogynistic, but that's a totally different statement from saying that marriage is always as a current concept in all cultures misogynistic. HTH.

i'm claiming that everyone discussing the true nature of marriage in the stupid questions thread, myself included, have been huffing too many of their own farts

anyways it's a cultural institution that stabilizes societies and raises birth rates and is being phased out in favor of being gay as hell cause there's too many people rn. carry on

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Organza Quiz posted:

Okay, maybe i misunderstood. My bad. I don't think it "has to be misogynistic" but has cultural roots there.

vvvv yeah, i don't know what you're asking but i'd rather just reflect on what i thought I read then dig a hole

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

The Sean posted:

I'd be interested in hearing what is the "ideal"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Platystemon posted:

Have an existential crisis.

Way ahead of you, buddy.

MyronMulch posted:

Ask a friend to rick-roll you.

Well, this REO Speedwagon/Rick Astley mashup is better than what I had, so... thanks?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We have a staff lottery at work that I've been paying into since last year (minus COVID months) and this year. I made a comment to a coworker about how I didn't win anything on my own tickets this week so I'm hoping our staff wins so I can retire, to which they replied that no one on staff will ever win our staff lottery.

It turns out that the person who runs it does it in a way that no one gets any information about the tickets. They collect the money each week, record names, and that's it. Attempts have been made in the past to make things more transparent and they have fought against them, saying that the staff will just have to trust them. No one receives info on if the staff won small amounts, free tickets, etc. Worse yet, they refuse to produce tickets when asked (such as checking on a phone app at work) and when efforts in the past to formalize the system have been made they gossip and bury the offender.

Is there a way I can maneuver this situation? Even just having photocopies of the tickets would make things better. As it is, it feels like this worker is padding their chances and would easily swap out a winning ticket for "one they bought themselves".

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

We have a staff lottery at work that I've been paying into since last year (minus COVID months) and this year. I made a comment to a coworker about how I didn't win anything on my own tickets this week so I'm hoping our staff wins so I can retire, to which they replied that no one on staff will ever win our staff lottery.

It turns out that the person who runs it does it in a way that no one gets any information about the tickets. They collect the money each week, record names, and that's it. Attempts have been made in the past to make things more transparent and they have fought against them, saying that the staff will just have to trust them. No one receives info on if the staff won small amounts, free tickets, etc. Worse yet, they refuse to produce tickets when asked (such as checking on a phone app at work) and when efforts in the past to formalize the system have been made they gossip and bury the offender.

Is there a way I can maneuver this situation? Even just having photocopies of the tickets would make things better. As it is, it feels like this worker is padding their chances and would easily swap out a winning ticket for "one they bought themselves".

Stop giving them your money?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

owlhawk911 posted:

i'd just open up the holes a little, what's the worst that could happen?

I just wanted to ask around a bit before hacking away at the thing. Doesn't hurt to ask, right? It does open and close with a valve key, so if I break it, it would still be safe.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I had a weird thing happen on youtube, I wanted to add this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpRJe915-9I to a watch later playlist, but it told me I can't do that because the video is suitable for kids?

I don't understand what makes the vid especially suitable for kids, but i also don't see why you'd want to stop someone adding it to a playlist, what's going on?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
The ear worm thing: listen to Yellow Submarine by the Beatles; it will displace the song currently in your head, but for some reason it dissipates quickly, and now there’s no song in your head.

I also have discovered the same thing works at Disneyland: if It’s a Small World is stuck in your head, go ride Pirates of the Caribbean. Works the same way.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Crankit posted:

I had a weird thing happen on youtube, I wanted to add this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpRJe915-9I to a watch later playlist, but it told me I can't do that because the video is suitable for kids?

I don't understand what makes the vid especially suitable for kids, but i also don't see why you'd want to stop someone adding it to a playlist, what's going on?

I looked it up for you:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9632097?nohelpkit=1&hl=en-GB

quote:

Watching Made for Kids content
To comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and other laws, certain features may be restricted or turned off on content that's set as Made for Kids.

At the video level, these features include:

Autoplay on home
Cards or end screens
Channel branding watermark
Channel memberships
Comments
Donate button
Likes and dislikes on YouTube Music
Live chat or live chat donations
Merchandise and ticketing
Notifications
Personalised advertising
Playback in the Mini Player
Super Chat or Super Stickers
Save to playlist and Save to watch later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CzTAeLNRbg

E: seems to a data collection thing

Moo the cow fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 4, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Professor Shark posted:

Start a competing pool that features revolutionary new features like "actually buying the tickets" and "showing people the tickets", minus a reasonable* operators' fee for yourself.

* However you define that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Moo the cow posted:

Stop giving them your money?

Yeah but I want to still participate in the staff pool

Powered Descent posted:

Start a competing pool that features revolutionary new features like "actually buying the tickets" and "showing people the tickets", minus a reasonable* operators' fee for yourself.

I thought about that but figured that it would cause drama. Honestly I cannot think of a solution that won't. This person has told people that any winnings just get rolled into the pool, however who the hell knows. They could be pocketing any winnings. I've considered telling them that I had a (fictional) conversation with a gas station attendant and they gave me advice on staff pools, however I know that those things have been brought up with them before and they have waved their hands on it saying that our pool doesn't need to bother with that (I guess there is an option to print off a signing form when you buy tickets).

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah but I want to still participate in the staff pool

Why?

You are clever enough to realise that a) this guy is stealing from the pool and b) if you ever won big, they would take the big win for themselves and claim it was a personal ticket.

Take the money you are throwing away on this and spend half of it on your own tickets and the other half on snacks for the office. You win both ways.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Powered Descent posted:

I have directly witnessed two situations the OP described. I have also heard about two of these by proxy via people I know in different companies/departments. The people i witnessed doing this were 100% dishonest and selfish people
One of them was volunteering at a company event packaging christmas toys for kids of people who work there. Toys were supposed to be random but she got caught going through other peoples bags to find "the best toys" to swap into her childrens bags.

The only solution, OP, is to run your own pool but two problems.

1) from my (completely unscientific) conclusion, to run this it seems a requirement is dishonestly, so you may not be cut out for that. (Im mostly kidding on this one).
2) the person running the pool is gonna get pissed af for you coming up on their terf and they will likely retaliate in some manner. The people who dont care about the lack of transparency are gonna go all centrist on you and label you as a trouble maker and disruptive. The people who also do care about lack of transparency either wont take your back bc they dont want trouble or they will but it will be too insignificant.

Finally, a possible strategy is scorched earth. If you have an anonymous reporting mechanism, tell some authority like HR (tho theyre worthless) and ruin it. This ruins it for everyone but if a winning ticket comes up that person running it will 100% steal all the money and not only is it ruined for everyone but they subsidized the dishonest person's win.

E: tbc, reporting this would not be "they arent sharing ingormation!" But instead "they are using time on the clock and company resources for their own personal game." Im not a narc, though, so I dont have experience with this.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 4, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The only way to win the game is not to play.

Boring answer: this is a discussion you should be having with the HR department. If they aren’t receptive, then you know where the money is going.

If your work is small enough to not have an HR department, then it isn’t a staff lottery- it’s just some dude running a lottery racket at their work for shits and giggles.

Killjoy answer: most states and countries have regulations for lotteries and there’s a good chance it could be illegal. You could report it if you want to create an antagonistic working environment.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Check the official lottery website for a page like https://lotto.bclc.com/group-play.html (that's my province, but it's all very generic info). At the very least there needs to be a written agreement, a record of what's purchased and who's in for a given week, and copies of the tickets available on request.

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.
For some reason I am wasting my time trying to identify this incredibly familiar-looking person from this ad (for a Lincoln car) in the January 2013 Bon Appetit magazine:

Who is this? An actual celebrity chef? Are any of the others actual celebrity chefs? If some are, I'm guessing they all are, but for all I know they could all just be models in chef outfits.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

What the hell is this black tube thing on the back of my garage sale Philips stereo?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i believe that is its antenna.