Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
So, I'm a king, I finally got high crown authority. Then what do I see but one of my own dukes defending in a war from his earl, who got a claim on the duchy. The war started long after I had enacted high crown authority. Isn't that exactly what high crown authority is supposed to prevent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

A God drat Ghost posted:

So, I'm a king, I finally got high crown authority. Then what do I see but one of my own dukes defending in a war from his earl, who got a claim on the duchy. The war started long after I had enacted high crown authority. Isn't that exactly what high crown authority is supposed to prevent?

It will prevent your direct vassals from going to war with each other. The earl is still able to attack the duke as the earl is not a direct vassal of yours.

On the other hand your duke would not be able to go to war with another of your dukes.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

simonwolf posted:

Encountered a bug I haven’t seen before — when my monarch dies, I get a game over screen, even though he has many children (and siblings, etc) and it’s a primogeniture inheritance. Weirdly, on his death I get two succession notices — one where it passes, normally, to his eldest son (though there is a note on the heir saying ‘no player heir’), and one where it’s game over. It repeats, as well, on a crash-reload.

I might try giving titles to my heir before death and see if that changes anything? Really not sure what could be causing this.

Update to this because I figured out the issue: turns out the game doesn’t like it if you hold a temporal theocratic title, but your heir doesn’t belong to that religion. Force-converting him seems to have solved it!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

This game makes my computer run really loud, what settings can I change to make it calm down? Or is it a "Byzantines plotting against each other" scenario that can only be resolved by buying bigger computer parts?

I've already lowered the graphics settings, but I don't think they were the problem.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I definitely control three holy sites now.

The problem is that I am 66 and still nowhere near going feudal because I'm still missing a bunch of the innovations. I'm also not near the empire threshold and I used up my once-in-a-lifetime invasion on Kanem so going after Darfur won't be quick at all. This is probably going to blow up in a really entertaining way very soon lol, maybe I will be able to squeak in Reforming the faith in this lifetime though, need more piety or to get to the -50% perk soon

It's been a long road, getting from there to here...

Beat the Ottomans by five years, which was good because I didn't expect the game to end exactly on January 1

What are these pathetic holdings, Byzantium

Successful enough to get one name banner across all the colonies. I was in the middle of a war that would have cleaned up all the Greek and Turkish holdings (my priestess was churning a claim out every 4 months!) but oh well

Game owns, I look forward to playing more soon, maybe after another patch? I should probably play something else for a bit lol

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
If you're thorough, west african paganism (Bidaism/Siguism) can be turned into the ultimate 'I am the law' faith.

Reform it with Pursuit of Power, giving -50% tyranny gain.
The holy site Niani gives another -20% tyranny gain.
'Righteous' pluralism doctrine makes the 'Defender of the Faith' theologian perk then give -25% tyranny gain, for a total of -95%.

On top of that, I invaded Lotharingia to plop my capital down in Aachen, where the unique Palace of Aachen gives -20% tyranny gain as well.

As a result, I can do whatever I want, and accumulate no tyranny at all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 4, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's been a long road, getting from there to here...

Yes officer, here is this person quoting *that* Star Trek intro theme.

Isn't it a good time to go achievement-hunting?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

pidan posted:

This game makes my computer run really loud, what settings can I change to make it calm down? Or is it a "Byzantines plotting against each other" scenario that can only be resolved by buying bigger computer parts?

I've already lowered the graphics settings, but I don't think they were the problem.

Maybe cleaning your PC - most importantly coolers - would help. I doubt it's anything specific to this game. Sometimes GPU gets mad and overheats itself by computing hundreds of frames per second and vertical syncronization option might help with that.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Broken Cog posted:

They should probably have a look at vassals thinking they can call their liege to wars if they're allied with them. My vassals that are allied to me through marriages with my daughters keep starting wars with neighbouring rulers even if they're outnumbered 10-1, and I suspect it's because they think they can call me in.
Counterpoint, I just had a Duke level vassal wage war on my King level vassal (their direct Liege), and they were going to win (it was a newly conquered Kingdom, given to a dynasty member without the same culture/faith as their vassals below them). And yet, despite being allied to me via marriage, they never asked me to join their war with my 30k troops? And I am not allowed to offer. Despite us being allied.

It seems very counter-intuitive that the only way to force them to stop the war, would have been to use a hook on my King to retract the Duke to under my direct control, and then tell that duke that he must surrender the war.

Because I didn't want them to lose and have a Kingdom go to a non-dynasty member, I had to gift them 40 gold at a time (why is there no other way to gift levies/MaA/gold?) until they could afford enough enough mercenaries to turn the tide of the war.

Maybe I'm expecting too much control over my vassals, especially in the tribal era.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I have similar ideological problems with being told I can arrest a count because he’s a cannibal, but I can’t strip him of his titles because he has a duke. I’d even be ok with handing him over to the duke, provided his titles get stripped.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

ilitarist posted:

Maybe cleaning your PC - most importantly coolers - would help. I doubt it's anything specific to this game. Sometimes GPU gets mad and overheats itself by computing hundreds of frames per second and vertical syncronization option might help with that.

PDX games murder the CPU not gpu usually I think.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

ilitarist posted:

Back when I first started I was having problems with crashes after about half an hour of play. Turns out I turned off vsync for...some reason and it was sending my GPU crazy. So yeah pidan definitely make sure that's turned on.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Has anyone else been getting the event where someone tosses a disease-ridden corpse into your castle way too often? I've gotten it like five, maybe six times on my current ruler, which feels nuts. And I'm getting real sick of the smallpox outbreaks.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Automated Posting posted:

Has anyone else been getting the event where someone tosses a disease-ridden corpse into your castle way too often? I've gotten it like five, maybe six times on my current ruler, which feels nuts. And I'm getting real sick of the smallpox outbreaks.

Yes. I also have a billion prisoners because the Catholics keep crusading me and the smallpox is totally annihilating them

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Game owns, I look forward to playing more soon, maybe after another patch? I should probably play something else for a bit lol

It's been great watching your updates on your playthrough, thanks for all the posts.

But I have to ask. Is that...clan government France? Are they a Christian clan or did the Valois dynasty see the light of Allah?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Trevor Hale posted:

I have similar ideological problems with being told I can arrest a count because he’s a cannibal, but I can’t strip him of his titles because he has a duke. I’d even be ok with handing him over to the duke, provided his titles get stripped.

Can you banish him via the negotiate release screen?

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way to get your Liege to more directly come to your aid in a defensive war beyond just doing the nominal "Offer to Join War" thing? My queen seems to be content dicking around with her armies on a dynastic claim a thousand miles away while I just got massively invaded by a neighbor with express goal of conquering my duchy.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Tippis posted:

Stability is far too easy at the moment, and becomes easier the bigger you are which ends up making it easier to become bigger. It's not a very interesting (or sensible) lack-of-dynamic to have.

This seems true for NPC realms as well, especially those on any kind of elective succession.

I think in part it's driven by the variety of flat opinion bonuses from sway schemes and fame; now that most characters only have 3 traits, it'd be nice to see them get have a much bigger effect on opinion. Arrogant, ambitious, and jealous character should probably lose opinion in reaction to increasing fame, with the same for devotion when a character is cynical or possessing sinful traits.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
faces can get interesting after running afk as an observer for hundreds of years:

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

pidan posted:

I set a framerate limiter in the nvidia control panel, the game runs too fast without one. Vsync might also work depending on other settings.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I think I would really like a the Alexiad start again. Watching the Byzantines ahistorically trounce everything around em kinda sucks, and it's nice to have the historical crusades be the starting point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The byzantines break up about as much as the Abbasids.

Even if that makes no sense

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
lol this is dumb. The one guy stopping my switch to high partition is my first son, ie. the guy who benefits most from it. Guess they forgot to factor personal gain into the approval...?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times, but if I'm doing a reconquista game as the Asturian king, what options do I have available to buff my religious conversion rate? At 25 years/province the game will enter the space age before Hispania is Catholicized.

I know that going with a Learning lifestyle should help, and my next ruler will go that way, anything else I can do? I can't really influence fervor, can I? Maybe Zealot vassals have a higher likelihood of putting their own bishops to work?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

i think of demons posted:

faces can get interesting after running afk as an observer for hundreds of years:

Does the çorpran family reside in innsmouth?

Anywho, obviously players can't be a republic or so I read, but can we still set one up and harvest gold from them? I had a few spots I liked setting them up and dumping excess children into, though no silk road makes it not quite so worthwhile admittedly.

E; is there a time limit for conversions or can the guys I negotiate to convert for release immediately change back? At least two of them revolted and left their previous muslim liege but I'm unclear.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 4, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

super fart shooter posted:

lol this is dumb. The one guy stopping my switch to high partition is my first son, ie. the guy who benefits most from it. Guess they forgot to factor personal gain into the approval...?

See also, Elections. The "I like power" modifier is only worth 15 points.

Beamed posted:

I think I would really like a the Alexiad start again. Watching the Byzantines ahistorically trounce everything around em kinda sucks, and it's nice to have the historical crusades be the starting point.

Yea Alexiad is a necessary start. This game kinda has the EU4 problem where the big territorial changes that defined the era never happen, and with the game rules mostly can't happen.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 4, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

It's been great watching your updates on your playthrough, thanks for all the posts.

But I have to ask. Is that...clan government France? Are they a Christian clan or did the Valois dynasty see the light of Allah?

Strangely enough they are Feudal! They are actually one of the few feudalists in Western Europe, all of the British isles are Clan, either Quranist clan or Lollard(?!) clan

France has been torn up by wars of religion between Quranists supported by the Umayyad, against Waldensians and Cathars. Catholicism got completely hosed over by the Byzantines, they took over the Italian peninsula a few generations ago, one of their emperors converted to Catholicism, they went on a crusade and formed a Kingdom of Jerusalem that got totally absorbed by the Yahyid, then the next emperor converted back to Orthodox and dismantled the papacy lol

All of the peasantry in Italy and Greece remained Catholic though, by the time I got there all the fragmented polities were using Chiefdom titles

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

i think of demons posted:

If you think about it, the Hapsburgs were just a millennia long episode of monster factory.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Having an empire that is just filled with distant members of your dynasty works great, not only are the congenital traits you worked hard to breed into them everywhere and available for marriage (even without the possibility of inbreeding, if you want to avoid it), but you can use a "claim title" interaction for the cost of 150 renown to claim any title from county up to kingdom (possibly empire? haven't had the opportunity to try it yet) and the cost does not scale. Makes realm reorganization pretty simple, or claiming an independent kingdom that is ruled by a dynasty member for a claim war.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nicely done. I'm about a hundred years out from finishing my own United Africa game, and I think I'm also gonna have a break to work more on mods afterward.

There's lots of other things in CK3 I want to try, but for a lot of starts I really want ruler designer to come out first so I can play as a ruler I actually want to play in a given area, or my eventual Roman Empire restoration game which is going to wait until they get around to releasing an imperial government/Byzantine rework DLC. I feel like landless estates could form the core of a DLC that focuses on both republics and an imperial government. But if I start another game before then it'll probably be in India, I never got around to playing there in CK2 either.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Bringing artifacts back is such a slam dunk that I expect we are gonna get it in the first couple dlcs

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

NihilCredo posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times, but if I'm doing a reconquista game as the Asturian king, what options do I have available to buff my religious conversion rate? At 25 years/province the game will enter the space age before Hispania is Catholicized.

I know that going with a Learning lifestyle should help, and my next ruler will go that way, anything else I can do? I can't really influence fervor, can I? Maybe Zealot vassals have a higher likelihood of putting their own bishops to work?

Other then creating a new faith with certain tenants or asking your vassals and their vassals to convert no. Muslims in Spain are harder to convert because of their tenants.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AnEdgelord posted:

Bringing artifacts back is such a slam dunk that I expect we are gonna get it in the first couple dlcs

I miss my +2 axe

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

The best way to do it is to exploit the fact that if a land-holding character converts and is the same faith as the land they control, their capital county will convert with them. So when you capture Islamic prisoners, you should release them on the condition that they give you a hook and recruit them. Then put them in charge of a county that is the same faith they are, then demand they convert, using the hook to force it if necessary. That will convert the county to your faith.

Aside from this somewhat gamey workaround, I'm not aware of many easy paths to converting land en masse. But the perk that removes the fervor penalty really helps.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
:lol: is this how the adamites dress for battle

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So did the patch fix anything about partition or is still just a nonsensical broken mess?

Is there any practical difference between confederate and non-confederate partition besides the creating new titles aspect of confederate?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well they fixed the thing about partition where you could dodge it by making up redundant title laws

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

eXXon posted:

So did the patch fix anything about partition or is still just a nonsensical broken mess?

Is there any practical difference between confederate and non-confederate partition besides the creating new titles aspect of confederate?
It's "fixed" in the sense that it doesn't give away all but 1 of your counties to your other children. Like, this is my current confederate partition with 3 eligible heirs (female preference law):

Player heir: 1 Empire, 1 Kingdom, 2 Duchies, 8 Counties
Second heir: 1 Kingdom (plus 1 duchy and 2 or 3 counties that were already given to her)
Third heir: 1 Kingdom (plus I'm assuming some title creation, I like to leave them uncreated for the prestige boost when needed)

If it's going to create titles as it says (in my experience it hasn't been, at least not all of the available ones), it should list it on that screen, but I don't believe it does.

super fart shooter posted:

:lol: is this how the adamites dress for battle
It's also funny if you can find one that's been maimed. Just a hood with an iron mask, naked otherwise.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 4, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PancakeTransmission posted:

It's "fixed" in the sense that it doesn't give away all but 1 of your counties to your other children. Like, this is my current confederate partition with 3 eligible heirs (female preference law):

I had a succession projection that was almost exactly that. I held only two counties in my capital duchy personally, then three in another. With two children they were split 2-3, whereas with a third son the split turned into 1-3-1. ??? Since then it seems to have been close to even, but another time when I had three sons split between two duchy titles, it made the third son a vassal of the second instead of the first for no discernible reason (he inherited one county in each of the two, plus a third in someone else's duchy). My main complaint is that the rules still seem inscrutable.

Later on my 62-year-old duke while plotting to steal more land for his two sons. A couple of years later, I find out that the killer was... me. My own son and heir. But why? You were going to inherit most of it anyways. Sure, you're a naive, sadistic and ambitious appeaser, and your brother is somehow your best friend instead of rival, but ugh.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way I can retract a Duke vassal from a King vassal without incurring Tyranny? The duchy is within my De Jure Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Apparently, using "Buy Claim" to get a claim on the Duchy of Latium and using a claim war to conquer the papacy did not, in fact, conquer the duchy for me. Instead, it made the Pope my Vassal. And it wouldn't let me revoke the duchy because it would leave the Pope unlanded. Problem is, I'm a pagan so I don't see why I care about that. I ended up giving him a county in the middle of nowhere that one of my vassals inherited for some reason so I could take Latium for myself (and give it to my granddaughter).

The Pope is still my vassal for whatever reason, though. No idea what I'm going to do with that, I couldn't banish him when he was imprisoned to seize all his wealth, so I guess I'll just keep him around?

Broken Cog posted:

Any way I can retract a Duke vassal from a King vassal without incurring Tyranny? The duchy is within my De Jure Kingdom.

I think you just have to eat the tyranny hit. It's only like 5 Tyranny so it's really nbd, it'll decay in a few years. I have yet to find a way to retract vassals without tyranny.