Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Libluini posted:

To my defense, this is what happens if you play JRPGs too much and then read some ancient battle accounts about ancient armies winning "because they had iron" while their enemies had bronze, it kind of burns Iron > Bronze into your brain. Interesting to know that those armies won because they had more of their equipment, not because it was straight-up better.

(I also remember reading somewhere that good iron weapons were expensive and coveted in Ancient Greece, and apparently took that at face value, even though I don't actually remember where I read this.)

It's also a common and easy to make misunderstanding. Bronze came before iron and iron largely displaced bronze when it was invented, so surely iron must be better, right? People don't consider the economics or may not know bronze is such a pain in the rear end to get the components for.

It's not that weird of a concept once you know it though. There's a lot of consumer goods now that are shittier quality than what we used to have. Is that because it's better, or we forgot how to make the higher quality? Nah, it's just a shitload cheaper. If you don't care about it being disposable, or more importantly, the companies manufacturing it care more about the lower costs, it makes perfect sense to transition to lower quality goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It can be depressing though. Although an interesting rebuttal to the people who think that the progression of time is always for things getting better.

The world's a weird place.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

You're probably thinking of Damascus steel, not iron.

No, definitely not. That's more than a thousand years in the future from the time I was thinking of.

PittTheElder posted:

There's also meteoric iron which was used to make tools and such way before the iron age proper, but they were extremely rare prestige items for fairly obvious reasons.

That must have been it!

Re: Cheapness, cheapness isn't always "worse". If it means you can make your army twice as large as your enemy because the same amount effort equals twice as much equipment, that's a form of strength right there that's hard to beat. There are also a lot of consumer goods that only became available to the masses because they could be made cheaply.

Think about Nintendo's Game Boy: If only very few highly paid craftsmen could make them with the best available materials, they could have been a lot better, but at the cost of only the richest of the rich being able to afford one. That would be a sad world.

I call this the Nintendo Theory of ancient economics.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did Rome have to come up with a new system for producing arms and armour when they switched to the state equipping the legions?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did Rome have to come up with a new system for producing arms and armour when they switched to the state equipping the legions?

Yeah. Rome's armies had been the traditional type, you brought your own equipment. Once the state was supplying it (this was a gradual process not overnight) they had to maintain legionary workshops then later massive factories that churned out arms, armor, other standardized equipment like bags and fort pieces, blueprint books, precisely engineered siege weapon components, military rations, on and on and on.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Libluini posted:

No, definitely not. That's more than a thousand years in the future from the time I was thinking of.
Huh I missed that it started way later than I thought.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Libluini posted:

Think about Nintendo's Game Boy: If only very few highly paid craftsmen could make them with the best available materials, they could have been a lot better, but at the cost of only the richest of the rich being able to afford one. That would be a sad world.

I know that the gameboy had some challengers with higher specs, but it's still legendary for its durability. That's kind of the biggest complaint I've seen about newer technology, between more breakable plastics and generally just the intention for things not to get maintenance or repairs so that people buy the next model sooner, things are less durable.

I actually wonder whether European goods got an extra focus on durability or reusability with the fall of the empire and the decline of widespread mass production of goods. I don't really know much about technology changes between 500 and 1000, or my knowledge jumps geographically to different groups that never had access to Imperial resources in the first place. I guess non-technologically, the places that maintained higher population density had to deal with more epidemics from the development of disease.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

And mail is still such a collosal hassle to manufacture that nobody in media production wants to deal with it. I'm blown away by how much the LOTR films made.

Conversely, custom formed steel plate can basically be ordered off the internet today.

if you look closely a lot of productions set in medieval times will use wool knit that kinda vaguely approximates mail if you squint. Looks like this:

faux stage plate today then is often made from aluminum instead. Since aluminum is considerably softer than steel its a lot easier and quicker to form. It tends to be implausibly shiny though compared to real steal, since it doesn't rust and whatnot. In fact i'm pretty sure that chinese armor we were talking about earlier is aluminum.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Is this the thread for medieval history? I have a question. When did colleges begin teaching engineering?

First western college to do it was probably the Czech Technical University in 1707..

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Aluminum is also much lighter which is good for having to constantly take multiple takes wearing it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Is this the thread for medieval history? I have a question. When did colleges begin teaching engineering?

Ooh that's actually something I know about, although it's very much not medieval.

There was a huge crisis in universities ca. the 18th - 19th centuries about how to fit in grubby "technical" education. Something like mechanical engineering really doesn't fit inside the old model of the trivium or even the liberal arts. Like it KIND of fits under the sciences, but it's applied sciences, not trying to discover the mysteries of the universe.

Meanwhile everyone wants to hire people who know how to design a steam engine that won't fly apart or make a bridge that won't fall in the river. And these people need to learn a lot of the basic skills of math and logic etc. that universities teach. But how do we fit them into the academic framework? Is it possible to be a doctor of engineering? So on the one hand you have all of these very lucrative modern professions that need certification, but on the other hand they don't fit into the traditional doctor/lawyer/priest/philosopher mold of the old universities. People want to hire these people, other people want to pay for that education, but how the hell do you fit them into what amounts to an academic guild system? Worse they don't have the old traditional guilds to provide a framework. If you want to be a shoemaker in 1770 there's a millennia-old established way to sort that out. Not so much if you want to figure out a better process for casting steel.

This poo poo was a huge bone of contention in European academia for the better part of two centuries. Eventually you have a kind of parallel system emerge with polytechnic schools providing what we would broadly understand as engineering educations. In Germany you start seeing this in the late 18th century. One of the first was the Freiburg University of Mining, set up in the mining regions of Saxony.

There's an ongoing academic dick waving contest over just how a TU measures up to a Uni that runs hot all through the next two hundred years and is still ongoing to some extent today (see: the usual sniping you'll see about "Cow Colleges" in the US and others sneering at main stream University of State as not actually teaching useful skills).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Libluini posted:

No, definitely not. That's more than a thousand years in the future from the time I was
This analogy breaks because you could never get a single game made if you sold hundreds of these things. Video games and software the scale we have now depend on massive, massive install bases to make the marginal gains worthwhile.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Who had the best medical care in the ancient/medieval world?
Like if had to be airdropped in and suffer some horrible disease/injury who do you choose?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Like if had to be airdropped in and suffer some horrible disease/injury who do you choose?

drop me in the gladiator locker room please. if it's a wound, anyway

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Injury? I'll take a Roman surgeon. Disease? You're pretty equally hosed everywhere.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

There was a huge crisis in universities ca. the 18th - 19th centuries about how to fit in grubby "technical" education. Something like mechanical engineering really doesn't fit inside the old model of the trivium or even the liberal arts. Like it KIND of fits under the sciences, but it's applied sciences, not trying to discover the mysteries of the universe.

on this topic, in Rising Tide, John Barry talks about how hard it was to get levees built and make the Mississippi actually navigable year-round, in large part because civil engineering as a profession barely existed.

in the early 19th century in the States it was almost exclusively the Army Corps of Engineers, and how you got into the USACE was to be the top person in your class at West Point. which, as you might imagine, does not produce very many engineers! so it's not really until after the Civil War that the talent pool + capital starts to exist to do some of the huge projects that were necessary.

found the quote:

quote:

Until the 1830s, West Point dominated American engineering. West Point offered the only academic training in the field in America, and Army engineers were a true elite. Only the top two cadets of each West Point class were allowed to enter the Corps of Engineers, while only the top eight cadets in each class could enter the separate Corps of Topographical Engineers. (Humphreys had fallen short of this mark but, after establishing himself as a civilian engineer, the corps commander personally selected him.)

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 4, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lawman 0 posted:

It really depends on what kind of medical treatment you need:

Rome had actually excellent surgical care, and you'd be better off at one of their Galenic military hospitals than anywhere in history until the advent of the American Red Cross during the Civil War. Their midwives were top-notch as well.

Greece formulated the concept of the trained medical doctor. A Hippocratic physician was so much better than the self-taught healers that came before him, and their system of continuing education and multidisciplinary expertise was absolutely critical to the development of the field.

Egypt implemented the first recipes for effective medicine (though the beneficial aspects of honey, wine, and vinegar, and boiling likely had to fight against counteractive ingredients like feces) and it would take a long time before their treatments would be significantly improved upon.

China instituted excellent therapeutic care fairly early on, and their techniques for symptomatic relief (including acupuncture, cupping, massage, and homeopathy) remain quite effective at treating chronic conditions.

India founded some of the first schools of psychological care and treatment, long before the idea of mental and philosophical well-being entered into western medicine.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 4, 2020

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Kaal posted:

China instituted excellent therapeutic care fairly early on, and their techniques for symptomatic relief (including acupuncture, cupping, massage, and homeopathy) remain quite effective at treating chronic conditions.

Homeopathy isn't Chinese, and the modern form of acupuncture with the very thin needles is very different from the traditional practice.

All are clinically useless and often actively harmful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eke out posted:

on this topic, in Rising Tide, John Barry talks about how hard it was to get levees built and make the Mississippi actually navigable year-round, in large part because civil engineering as a profession barely existed.

in the early 19th century in the States it was almost exclusively the Army Corps of Engineers, and how you got into the USACE was to be the top person in your class at West Point. which, as you might imagine, does not produce very many engineers! so it's not really until after the Civil War that the talent pool + capital starts to exist to do some of the huge projects that were necessary.

found the quote:

There was a similar thing in the post-Civil War U.S. Navy. The top graduates from each year at Annapolis tended to go into either the Constructor Corps (read: ship designers and builders) or the Civil Engineering Corps.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 4, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Right now I’d say the Merchant Marine Academy is the closest to that traditional Service Academy engineering education. But I’m biased.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd actually suspect that your best to be sick in the ancient world is anywhere where they'll leave you to rest for a while but also bring you water and food instead of fooling around with emetics, bleeding, and cabbage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If we're talking disease then yeah you're probably better off not being anywhere near a doctor lest they fill your eyeballs with mercury until the pus demons fly out of your rear end in a top hat or whatever the gently caress.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'll buck the trend and take a chance at medieval France, Hospices de Beaune in Burgundy. Prayers won't help my illness, but they probably have the best altar wine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I am being comedy, there were some effective disease treatments that premodern cultures figured out through trial and error. Some herbal stuff that turned out to actually be antibiotics, that kind of thing. Still, in general disease fighting before we understood what disease was and how it worked was... questionable, at best. Dealing with injury was a lot more straightforward and Roman doctors who got to train with the army/on gladiators were often very good at it. You'd have a hard time telling apart a Roman surgeon's kit and a modern one. There are also scattered references to antiseptic practices like heating surgical instruments/cleaning them with hot wine or vinegar. It's not clear if those were widespread or not, but if they were then you'd also have a much better chance of avoiding infections from surgery.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact: after anesthetics were discovered, deaths from surgery went up because doctors became more willing to suggest surgery and the deaths from shock were more than replaced by the deaths from infection

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kaal posted:

Egypt implemented the first recipes for effective medicine (though the beneficial aspects of honey, wine, and vinegar, and boiling likely had to fight against counteractive ingredients like feces) and it would take a long time before their treatments would be significantly improved upon.

Fun fact: The egyptian doctors were often specialized. Ir-en-akhty, a doctor described in an ancient inscription, for example was a proctologist and was given the title "neru pehuyt" (Shepherd of the Royal Anus).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that some cultures had worked out some treatments or medicines that actually worked for some diseases, but it'd probably be up to luck whether you come down with something that there's a real cure for. And if I've learned anything from the Sawbones podcast, one of the most popular attempts at cures was whatever makes you barf, because then it has an observable effect.

Maybe what'd be best is some place that has good preventative practices, and all I can really think for that is I've heard of people in Egypt getting sand in their bread and slowly grinding down their teeth, so not there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Iirc dental health was an area where egyptians really lagged, and we have quite a few mummies who probably succumbed to complications from tooth problems.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

PittTheElder posted:

And mail is still such a collosal hassle to manufacture that nobody in media production wants to deal with it. I'm blown away by how much the LOTR films made.

Conversely, custom formed steel plate can basically be ordered off the internet today.

IIRC they used plastic tubes, cut into roundels. The resulting rings opened and then glued shut with cyano acrylate.
It was cheap, light and fast as anyone with a spare moment could be productive with a moment's instruction.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

. Dealing with injury was a lot more straightforward and Roman doctors who got to train with the army/on gladiators were often very good at it. You'd have a hard time telling apart a Roman surgeon's kit and a modern one. There are also scattered references to antiseptic practices like heating surgical instruments/cleaning them with hot wine or vinegar. It's not clear if those were widespread or not, but if they were then you'd also have a much better chance of avoiding infections from surgery.

While Roman surgery was pretty good, especially when it came to bonesetting and the removal of foreign matter from wounds, it still usually came down to amputations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I am being comedy, there were some effective disease treatments that premodern cultures figured out through trial and error. Some herbal stuff that turned out to actually be antibiotics, that kind of thing. Still, in general disease fighting before we understood what disease was and how it worked was... questionable, at best.

Yeah, it really, really can't be overemphasized just what a game changer for human health germ theory was. If you get into military medicine the number of deaths from infection in the ACW is just nuts compared to what you see even twenth years later. Joseph Lister made the connection between germ theory and surgical tools (note that the surgeons grubby hands are a tool in this regard) in the late 1860s and it had become fairly widespread by the end of the 1870s. Needing surgery in 1865 was a very loving different proposition than in 1875.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iirc dental health was an area where egyptians really lagged, and we have quite a few mummies who probably succumbed to complications from tooth problems.

It also doesn't help that they apparently had a lot of wear on their teeth. Something about small amounts of sand getting into pretty much everything, including bread dough, and wearing down teeth relatively quickly.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Epicurius posted:

While Roman surgery was pretty good, especially when it came to bonesetting and the removal of foreign matter from wounds, it still usually came down to amputations.

Still basically does. The amounts of amputations in the gwot are huge. But the survival rate is high

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

vuk83 posted:

Still basically does. The amounts of amputations in the gwot are huge. But the survival rate is high

It basically comes down to wound type. If a long bone is essentially pulverized or there's massive damage to the major blood vessels etc. there isn't much modern medicine can do. You see a lot of these kinds of injuries with explosives, so if you have guys walking around getting IED'd you're going to see a lot of them. I seem to recall something about vehicle drivers losing a lot of legs because IEDs would push the bottom plate of the crew compartment up and basically smash the foot. You see similar treatments if someone has their foot crushed in an industrial accident. After a certain point there's just not much you can do to fix a blob of crushed meat and bone.

I suspect that a lot of the injuries legionaries took wouldn't need amputation today. Amputation works because you're essentially turning a complex wound into a simple wound. The complexity of the wounds that we are able to deal with today and still save the limb is massively improved over what it was even 50 years ago, much less 2000.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And I'm counting "you lost your leg but survived" as a success here. Yeah it'd be great not to lose the leg, but it'd be worse to die. We know from skeletal evidence that Romans did pretty radical surgical procedures that patients survived. The fact that we have that evidence suggests the survival rate wasn't bad--it's unlikely we'd just happen to find all the people who recovered, it's probably more representative than that.

You gotta compare to the era. Modern medicine is so radically, absurdly better than premodern that if you're judging what they did based on what we do then it's pointless. Sometimes Romans get portrayed as the only people with decent medicine, which isn't true, but especially in the realm of surgery they had excellent abilities for the time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

And I'm counting "you lost your leg but survived" as a success here. Yeah it'd be great not to lose the leg, but it'd be worse to die. We know from skeletal evidence that Romans did pretty radical surgical procedures that patients survived. The fact that we have that evidence suggests the survival rate wasn't bad--it's unlikely we'd just happen to find all the people who recovered, it's probably more representative than that.

You gotta compare to the era. Modern medicine is so radically, absurdly better than premodern that if you're judging what they did based on what we do then it's pointless. Sometimes Romans get portrayed as the only people with decent medicine, which isn't true, but especially in the realm of surgery they had excellent abilities for the time.

When it comes to surgery modern is absolutely better, but it's not the night and day orders of magnitude poo poo that you see with the treatment of illness or chronic diseases that are medicated. My father is a retired surgeon and he's got an interest in historical surgery, and I've sent him accounts of old stuff that he basically says is more or less the same way we do it today, only absent the anesthesia and sterilization procedures we use now. I'm blanking on the exact one now, but I think the last one was actually one from this thread.

I'd still opt for a modern surgeon no question, but it's pretty amazing that a modern professional can look at old instructions and go "yup, that's how you do that."

edit: It was a vericose vein surgery described by Galen. I'll copy it over after I dig it up on my old texts with him.

Galen posted:

Any vein therefore which is troublesome may be shrivelled up by cauterizing or cut out by surgery. If a vein is straight, or though crooked is yet not twisted, and if of moderate size, it is better cauterized. 2 [Legamen ad versionem Latinam]This is the method of cauterization: the overlying skin is incised, then the exposed vein is pressed upon moderately with a fine, blunt, hot cautery iron, avoiding a burn of the margins of the incision, which can easily be done by retracting them with hooks. This step is repeated throughout the length of the vein, generally at intervals of •four fingers' breadth, after which a dressing is put on to heal up the burns. But excision is done in the following way: the skin is similarly incised over the vein, and the margins held apart by hooks; with a scalpel the vein is separated from surrounding tissue, [Legamen ad versionem Latinam]avoiding a cut into the vein itself; underneath the vein is passed a blunt hook; the same procedure is repeated at the intervals noted above throughout [p469] the course of the vein which is easily traced by pulling on the hook. When the same thing has been done wherever there are swellings, at one place the vein is drawn forward by the hook and cut away; then, where the next hook is, the vein is drawn forwards and again cut away. After the leg has thus been freed throughout from the swellings the margins of the incisions are brought together and an agglutinating plaster put on over them.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Do we know (or, more, can we estimate) what the survival rate for amputations was among the Romans was in comparison to their contemporaries? And do we know, for example, what the survival rate for amputations were among the Romans compared to the post-Roman west?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Surgery being similar makes sense since it's not like the human body has changed. But proper antiseptics and antibiotics make surgery so much safer to do now that I think the difference is significant, even if there's more of a straight line there back to the ancient world than there is with disease, which changed entirely with germ theory.

Epicurius posted:

Do we know (or, more, can we estimate) what the survival rate for amputations was among the Romans was in comparison to their contemporaries? And do we know, for example, what the survival rate for amputations were among the Romans compared to the post-Roman west?

I'm sure there are papers trying to tackle this but I don't know them.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
One aspect of surgery that has really changed is that Romans couldn't go nearly as deep as we can, particularly because they lacked knowledge of fundamental anatomy. Limbs and surface surgeries don't require it, but it took until medieval doctors started doing exploratory autopsies to be able to differentiate organs and their function.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you try to do anything too fancy before anesthetics, the patient is likely to just die of shock from the pain, or the infection afterwards. There were plenty of cases where surgery could be theoretically useful, but doctors wouldn't recommend surgery because your chance of survival were higher with no treatment than risking surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I'm reminded of that scene in Rome when Pollo got wacked behind the head and he's getting cranial surgery. Can you imagine going through this, awake?