Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
People say like "Sonic Team has run out of creative steam, they clearly don't want to work on it, they need new blood" and the thing is... Forces is almost entirely new blood. I think management is more the issue than the actual people working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sonic Team is a handful of the same people plus whoever else in the larger development studio is available. Unfortunately the number of those people that were behind design in games like Generations and Unleashed has decreased.
Now that they’ve officially joined with the Valkyria team I wonder if there will be more overlap?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlxqzYUCad8

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't remember seeing this posted anywhere here, so: https://www.vg247.com/2020/09/07/new-sonic-games-2021/

Seems like we'll have another mainline game next year (and possibly others? Probably mobile), but no actual details yet.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't remember seeing this posted anywhere here, so: https://www.vg247.com/2020/09/07/new-sonic-games-2021/

Seems like we'll have another mainline game next year (and possibly others? Probably mobile), but no actual details yet.

vg247 article posted:

Traditionally, Sega is pretty good at celebrating major Sonic milestones: for the 10th anniversary in 2001, we got Sonic Adventure 2, and for the 20th anniversary in 2011, we got Sonic Generations.
I can't believe these hacks left out Sonic's 15 year anniversary game :mad:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Skeletome posted:

ep 2 isn't even THAT bad. its not good, but there's a wide spectrum of quality in sonic games

Anyone tried sonic GT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyW8jJQawE

I've played about 10 hours of it, it's really fun. The levels are huge and great for speedrunning. The drop dash feels phenomenal and there's some real momentum-based speed. Can be a little janky and the voice acting is HORRID but overall I'm really impressed with it

I just played this, it was surprisingly really fun, the drop dash really steals the show just like it does in Mania. The bosses are godawful but the levels are a blast. Hell Top Zone was really drat funny

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

On that front at least, I'm pretty hopeful. Since Mania came out they've clearly realised the kind of talent they have access to, and given us a refreshed comic series, a bunch of animated projects they didn't need to do (I mean what even prompted Chao in Space?), brought in a ringer to smooth over the movie, and, most promisingly, added Tangle and Whisper to both mobile games, a treatment that no other spin-off character has gotten.

So I'm sticking with my theory that they want to pull the games and spin-off content together instead of having alt universe stuff like Archie and Boom, and have finally realised that there is a talented and hungry fanbase of professional creators to draw from hopefully for the games as well, and I'll keep that hope alive until the next crushing disappointment, so I've got until at least next year.

You're talking about the company that still hasn't ported the Sonic 1 and 2 remasters to non-mobile platforms or greenlit the sonic 3 remaster.

E: Don't give me the music rights excuse for 3, they could just compose new tracks.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 4, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Skeletome posted:

ep 2 isn't even THAT bad. its not good, but there's a wide spectrum of quality in sonic games

Anyone tried sonic GT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyW8jJQawE

I've played about 10 hours of it, it's really fun. The levels are huge and great for speedrunning. The drop dash feels phenomenal and there's some real momentum-based speed. Can be a little janky and the voice acting is HORRID but overall I'm really impressed with it

for all the poo poo we give sonic team I've never had a video of an official sonic game make me feel seasick

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Lurdiak posted:

You're talking about the company that still hasn't ported the Sonic 1 and 2 remasters to non-mobile platforms or greenlit the sonic 3 remaster.

E: Don't give me the music rights excuse for 3, they could just compose new tracks.

They could, but if they did, how many people would actually be satisfied with that? I'd wager you'd risk seeing more complaints about that from the most important consumers for such a release (the casual nostalgia buyers) as a result of changing the music, than praise overall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Saralene posted:

They could, but if they did, how many people would actually be satisfied with that? I'd wager you'd risk seeing more complaints about that from the most important consumers for such a release (the casual nostalgia buyers) as a result of changing the music, than praise overall.

Most casuals would probably not notice if the music is in the same general style (get Tee Lopes) and the people who do care would mod it in (if they released it on PC like they should).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you’re a big enough Sonic nerd to get upset at a Sonic 3 remaster missing some tracks, then you are probably knowledgeable enough to know why those tracks are missing.

Also, you can literally buy a rom of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam right now for five dollars. If they were that cautious then this wouldn’t be a thing, and it still wouldn’t explain why Whitehead & co.’s 1 and 2 ports are still available everywhere except PC and consoles. Like, they took the time to port these to goddamn Amazon Fire Sticks so it’s not an oversight.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I recall some interview about how they pulled off the S&K lock-on on Wii virtual console. They asked if the music thing was an issue and the developer said it wasn't.

Looked for it over the years and can't find it, half convinced I dreamed it or something.

E: turns out i was thinking of earthbound

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 28, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sonic 3/S&K has not been put out for any new platform since the Steam release in January 2011. The Wii VC release of S&K was in 2010. (Potential) Legal issues regarding the music were first discussed in early 2011 after the Steam release.
That it can still be bought on Steam is likely because whatever contracts were involved were already in place - they didn't pull it from the Xbox marketplace, either, but it never made it to PSN (Sonic 2 was released on PSN in April 2011) and the Wii shop is now dead.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

it keeps me up at night that in 2020 i can't have modern ports of the classic genesis sonic games on Nintendo Switch and whenever my kids ask me when this nightmare will end all I can tell them is this is in no longer in god's hands

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Do the Christian Whitehead ports work on a Switch with Android on it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Switch is already running a variant of Android isn't it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beep by grandpa posted:

it keeps me up at night that in 2020 i can't have modern ports of the classic genesis sonic games on Nintendo Switch and whenever my kids ask me when this nightmare will end all I can tell them is this is in no longer in god's hands

There are modern M2 ports of 1 and 2. They’re not as good as the taxman ports but they’re still good and worth having.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dabir posted:

The Switch is already running a variant of Android isn't it

Nope

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You're probably thinking of it having an ARM processor as opposed to x86. Hardware wise it means it's closer to a big phone than a small PC, but doesn't really mean anything for the OS or software.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The switch software is very heavily based on Android in some areas. It's not Android but for a lot of it they lifted the Android code wholesale or modified it a bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hogama posted:

Sonic 3/S&K has not been put out for any new platform since the Steam release in January 2011. The Wii VC release of S&K was in 2010. (Potential) Legal issues regarding the music were first discussed in early 2011 after the Steam release.
That it can still be bought on Steam is likely because whatever contracts were involved were already in place - they didn't pull it from the Xbox marketplace, either, but it never made it to PSN (Sonic 2 was released on PSN in April 2011) and the Wii shop is now dead.

People thought music rights were the reason Earthbound never got re-released in the west for ages and then they just released it. I'm pretty sure this is the same situation: a Japanese company with too many inflexible old guys in charge being stubborn and stupid about re-releasing their very popular product.

And like I said they could juuuuuuuuuuust compose new tracks, it would be very easy, or at least they could release the already existing 1 and 2 remakes. But like I said, stubborn and stupid. This is the company that refused to make a proper sequel to the Genesis games for 30 years.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 5, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It could be as simple as Sega not wanting to pay Whitehead more for console ports.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: Sonic 1 and 2 on consoles, it's mainly because of Sega being divided up into sections that are all very possessive about their own ways of doing things and the section in charge of console releases has M2 as their go-to guy and thinks that those releases are fine. The phone remakes were a weird thing that some other part of the company did and they're just phone remakes so whatever who cares.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

SCheeseman posted:

Do the Christian Whitehead ports work on a Switch with Android on it?

Yes, they do. LineageOS will run them fine.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I can't for the life of me beat the Eggman race in Hidden Base in Sonic GT with Sonic, the rubberbanding is just too real even when I've gotten the stage down to barely 2 minutes. I had to cheap out and use Ray. The Reverse challenge on that stage seems insane as well

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

For the eggman race it really comes down to that last room- if you take the left path there's a tiny break in the path where you can run up the entirety of the wall.

The reverse is okay once you get past the first section, but it's a ballache to do

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Once again, everyone but Sonic Team delivers the goods that the fans demand.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1314613161710940161?s=19

I am of course talking about Business Formal Rouge.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic 2 is free on Steam right now for some reason.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sonic 2 is free on Steam right now for some reason.
I think it's Sega's 60th anniversary.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The Mega Drive And Genesis Classics bundle is also super-cheap right now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The emulation is pretty drat poo poo. I just tried Sonic 2 through it and I can immediately tell the sound isn’t right. You’d be better off with other solutions if you’re going to be playing Genesis games on your computer.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

The emulation is pretty drat poo poo. I just tried Sonic 2 through it and I can immediately tell the sound isn’t right. You’d be better off with other solutions if you’re going to be playing Genesis games on your computer.

Just grab the roms on the Steam folder and pop them on better emulators.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lurdiak posted:

People thought music rights were the reason Earthbound never got re-released in the west for ages and then they just released it. I'm pretty sure this is the same situation: a Japanese company with too many inflexible old guys in charge being stubborn and stupid about re-releasing their very popular product.

The difference with Earthbound is that people speculated all sorts of reasons for why it wasn't coming out and then when it did, they asked Nintendo and were told they weren't true, whereas Sega very noticeably clammed up about S3&K after a certain point and expressly told people they weren't going to comment about it before interviews and so on. There is way more circumstantial evidence around S3&K than there ever was about Earthbound.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The difference with Earthbound is that people speculated all sorts of reasons for why it wasn't coming out and then when it did, they asked Nintendo and were told they weren't true, whereas Sega very noticeably clammed up about S3&K after a certain point and expressly told people they weren't going to comment about it before interviews and so on. There is way more circumstantial evidence around S3&K than there ever was about Earthbound.
Thank you! This is likely the interview I was thinking about before.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How the gently caress am I only finding out about Sonic 3 A.I.R. now? It's a Taxman quality fan port with widescreen, smooth 60fps, tons of customization and even mod support. You only need to get the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles which is only $1.24 at the moment.

Absolutely worth it for this amazing excellent port. This definitely beats Sonic 3 Complete as the best way to play the game now. There’s even a Mac port!

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 10, 2020

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

How the gently caress am I only finding out about Sonic 3 A.I.R. now? It's a Taxman quality fan port with widescreen, smooth 60fps, tons of customization and even mod support. You only need to get the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles which is only $1.24 at the moment.

Absolutely worth it for this amazing excellent port. This definitely beats Sonic 3 Complete as the best way to play the game now. There’s even a Mac port!

This is why I don't care that S3&K won't get rereleased within the next 50 years.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought we talked about this in the thread before but yes this is probably the best way of playing S3&K right now. It's really solid

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ventana posted:

I thought we talked about this in the thread before but yes this is probably the best way of playing S3&K right now. It's really solid

Probably but I missed it and just wanted to boost it for anyone else that may have missed it. It’s fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah i hadnt played s3k in ages so i dld AIR. Really good poo poo