Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ye olde Florida land scam. He could pull that I guess on his worthless land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_banking#Investment_land_banking_by_country

quote:

Florida land scams have history as far back as the 1920s Florida Land Rush. Many Florida Counties have traces of these land scams today. Polk County Florida in particular has been devastated with land banking scams. Polk County, being the land that lies between the city of Tampa, in Hillsborough County Florida and the city of Orlando, in Orange County Florida has been a hot bed for speculative land development. North Polk County falls within the lower Green Swamp. The State of Florida has declared the Green Swamp "land of critical state concern". During the 1970s through the late 1980s the Green Swamp was sold as being suitable for real estate development. The development of Disney World and the attraction it received was the sales tool to persuade individuals to buy one acre lots at high speculative prices. These prices ranged from $2,000 to as high as $15,000 per acre. The Florida land banking scams continue today and are mostly operated outside of the United States. Unwary foreign customers are sold Florida land from outside the U.S. borders through contracts for deed arrangements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have an idiot family-friend in central TX who bought tons of empty plots on the outskirts of various suburbs / highway off-ramps with the belief that Walmart would expand to those areas and buy the land from her at a markup. She's been right about a lot of the locations re: expansion, but there's so much empty land that Walmart literally just buys a parcel down the road or sometimes even right next to hers without inquiring at all. So now she has a ton of empty parcels next to a walmart parking lot, and nobody's buying. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Land in the absolute middle of nowhere isn’t going to be worth a shitload more like he’s expecting it barring a reason to think there’s something valuable on it. If it was in a metro area, sure, that’ll go up, but that’s also going to be stuff that he wouldn’t be able to afford. Does he think that they’re just going to want to slap a housing development down?
They think population growth is going to make land values keep going up forever, ignoring that it'd take a sudden ludicrously, historically unprecendented-ly massive population boom for that to be relevant to Bumfuck, USA within their lifetime. (and even then I'd expect a lot more vertical growth in current population centers before people start spreading out into the middle of nowhere)

I'd be curious to see a link to whatever reddit thread that came from, though. Googling doesn't bring it up.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

This is something that is literally taught in college too. Urban planning, economics or real estate programs will all look at this exact question.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
If you buy a volcano are you entitled to the land it produces? Is it nature’s dividend?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

f1av0r posted:

If you buy a volcano are you entitled to the land it produces? Is it nature’s dividend?

I had to search this, so here is a vice article

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ywen3y/who-owns-the-new-land-created-by-a-volcano-in-hawaii-kilauea-big-island

Land is owned by the state unless specifically conveyed, so unless the deed for the land defined it as the entire volcanic island, the borders of the land would be subject to the metes and bounds of the initial deed, subject to the chain of title and any subdivisions/assemblages along the way.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Magnetic North posted:

I think I heard Gronk did this too, instead partying with money made from endorsements. I guess it might still be bwm to fritter away that money, but it hopefully won't end up Tragic with Money if they still hang on to a few mill.
Steve Smith of the Panthers spent his first offseason interning with Bank of America to learn the inside of finance. He saved his money and, in his words, bought a Bentley with the money that his money made.

edit: There was also a story on American Greed where an NFL player invested his money in a fund with a trusted investor and WHOOPS IT WAS A PONZI SCHEME ALL ALONG and lost his money, but that's just grand larceny by the Ponzi scheme guy and not the player being BWM.

double edit: Steve Smith interned with Morgan Stanley, not BoA, thanks crazypeltast52

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv link down there

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 5, 2020

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

Steve Smith of the Panthers spent his first offseason interning with Bank of America to learn the inside of finance. He saved his money and, in his words, bought a Bentley with the money that his money made.

edit: There was also a story on American Greed where an NFL player invested his money in a fund with a trusted investor and WHOOPS IT WAS A PONZI SCHEME ALL ALONG and lost his money, but that's just grand larceny by the Ponzi scheme guy and not the player being BWM.

Oh dang, that is a pretty great story. It looks like his money was being managed with his advisor, so probably GWM for it looks like Morgan Stanley to get him to keep his money managed with them instead of the money going into harebrained schemes. Here's a blog post from that time that has more details.

https://traditionofexcellence.wordpress.com/2008/05/23/carolina-panthers-steve-smith-spends-offseason-as-financial-intern/

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

crazypeltast52 posted:

Ye olde Florida land scam. He could pull that I guess on his worthless land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_banking#Investment_land_banking_by_country
This might be slightly off topic, but wasn't Florida essentially founded and perpetuated by land scams dating back to the original settlers?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

I'm a guy who has been living alone in an abandoned ‘ghost town’ for over 6 months. I bought the town just over two years ago.

quote:

quote:

How much did the town cost and how were you able to afford it?

$1.4M. I put essentially my life savings into it, convinced a lot of other people to put in, and took short term loans in order to close.

quote:

This isn't an investment with an anticipated return, is it? What were you convincing them of exactly?

quote:

quote:

“Dude it’s gonna be sweet!”

Basically.

quote:

quote:

No, in all seriousness, in addition to collateral you need to show any qualified lenders (e.g. banks, etc, not friends and family) a proper business plan to assure them that you'll be able to have the cash flow and profit in order to secure a loan.

You don't have to get into specifics, but what is your plan to be able to repay those loans? Meaning what do you intend to do to the town to improve it and have the revenue needed to repay the loans?

I hope by next summer to have overnight accommodation options. Hopefully that will show the cashflow to refinance with a more traditional lender...

quote:

quote:

Similarly, what sort of liability did you accept when you bought it? I'm thinking of any potential environmental hazards left from the mining company, or the structures deteriorating, leeching lead or oil or asbestos or whatever. And liability to people driving through, coming to visit, etc.

There's a lot of liability with an old mine. The one I'm most concerned with is people falling in old mine shafts. We have signs at the entrances of most and barb wire, but it's still a threat.

quote:

If I can't make the money back with tourism, then I might try to see if I could rent it out for paintball or airsoft teams. That might make it profitable.

quote:

I intent to pay back the who loaned me the some of the money for this. They are people that believed in me because they'd seen how I worked and done in the past.

That isn't to say this is the route to take. I don't really have a retirement account. Or more specifically, I don't have ANY retirement account. That is the town. I pushed in all the chips.

quote:

With population growth there’s going to be a lot more spread of humans into depopulated areas in the future unless something unforeseen happens. That is a backup plan.

quote:

quote:

There's no water, plumbing, internet, etc. But could you maybe rent out space for RVs?

The final 7 miles to get up here is really difficult. Dirt mountain road that increases in elevation 6,000 ft during that 7 miles. I don't think it would be super easy for RVers to get up here. But maybe I'm wrong?

quote:

quote:

What about digging wells near the springs? The LA Aqueduc Program probably lowered the water table (level at which the ground is saturated in water) but I think it still may be kinda high.

The town is at 8,500 ft in elevation on hard rock. I've been told too far to drill...

quote:

quote:

Why do your friends not live in Cerro Gordo? Those with whom you bought the town.

They all have lives and obligations elsewhere.

quote:

Some of them are mad because the town hasn't been generating as much money as anticipated. We haven't figured out how to make money from it and they thought I had a plan. I have a plan, but not a specific plan. We did get a New York Times article about two years ago, but they don't pay you anything for writing about you. The only money we have made so far was from our GoFundMe.

quote:

What I really want to find is Levi Jeans. Levi's made the first blue jean for California silver miners in 1873. They are THE thing to find for denim collectors and Levi corporate can buy them back for close to $100k because they're so rare.

They've found original Levi's here before in the mines and in the buildings. So I know they're here. I just have to find them.

It's become a personal quest.

quote:

quote:

Have you tried pitching this to any producers/networks? Someone living in and reviving an abandoned ghost town is right up the Nat Geo / Discovery / HGTV alley.

Some production companies have approached. It always seems to go sideways because I guess that's how that industry works?

quote:

I think COVID is the reason we can't get any money coming in. Once that is over, I expect the ghosts and history to be very profitable. The loaners have given me some leeway because of COVID.

quote:

I think the ghosts are a big part of it. We even paid extra to close the sale on Friday the 13th in true ghost town fashion.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you don’t have a specific plan, that’s called “not having a plan”!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
No no no, he can totally just build a hotel there and that will provide oodles of money automatically. Because tons of people want to stay in a random ghost town that has no attractions or anything set up. And if that fails, well, who doesn't want to hike out to a remote ghost town to play paintball? It's a foolproof plan!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i know a vc who wont show up if your margin before payroll isnt at least 90%

payroll usually whacks things down in software land to like 50% but thats ok

but PaUl GrAhAm SaYs Do ThInGs ThAt DoN't ScAle!!!!!1!!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

6000 feet of elevation gain over 7 miles is a 16 degree grade, if the calculator I found is to be trusted. You aren’t getting RVs up there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Haifisch posted:

No no no, he can totally just build a hotel there and that will provide oodles of money automatically. Because tons of people want to stay in a random ghost town that has no attractions or anything set up. And if that fails, well, who doesn't want to hike out to a remote ghost town to play paintball? It's a foolproof plan!
It's just like playing SimGhostTown IRL. You click on a plot of land, choose "Hotel" from the drop-down menu, and then a hotel appears and starts generating revenue. Simple!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TheMadMilkman posted:

6000 feet of elevation gain over 7 miles is a 16 degree grade, if the calculator I found is to be trusted. You aren’t getting RVs up there.
That made me do a double take. 7 miles of dirt road? UP 6000 FEET OF ELEVATION?

He didn't buy a 'town' he bought an abandoned mine with a man camp

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

That made me do a double take. 7 miles of dirt road? UP 6000 FEET OF ELEVATION?

That caught my eye too. Lol if that’s not a typo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Midjack posted:

That caught my eye too. Lol if that’s not a typo.
I hope it is.

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC), also known as The Race to the Clouds, is an annual automobile and motorcycle hillclimb to the summit of Pikes Peak in Colorado, USA. The track measures 12.42 miles (19.99 km) and has over 156 turns, climbing 4,720 ft (1,440 m) from the start at Mile 7 on Pikes Peak Highway, to the finish at 14,115 ft (4,302 m), on grades averaging 7.2%

His road is steeper than the Pikes Peak climb.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
All of that is interesting, but the place literally doesn’t have water power or sewage. Like if you want to loving camp there are a million better places.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Clearly the plan is to convert it over to a vintage jeans mine.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah that is a brutal amount of climb, it's hard to define how steep that is without just doing it on foot but trust that it's insane.

Also lol at the idea of drawing wells from a mine, if it was anything but a stone quarry that water is usually real bad for you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For sale: Ghost town, selvedge title

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You are too good at this

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:denim:

:drat:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Stay safe poverty ghost town

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Stay safe poverty ghost town

oh goddammit

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
It's here in case anyone couldn't find it:

https://goo.gl/maps/4gzAVYFUNoYYGtSG9

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I was poking around the area looking at cheap places, and I think I've found the worst house ever.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Lawrence/30-Rowe-St-01843/home/11319970

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

:lol: the highway turnoff for the road to the ghost town is apparently a local favorite spot to do donuts:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Jesus Christ, no loving way is anyone trekking all the way up there for paintball. :lol:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I think there's enough people who actively post in this thread that we could all go there, and like, take over. :yarr:

I don't know what we'd do then, but that's at least more planning than that dude did.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
What do you think the police response time to a ghost town is?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"Ah, but answer me this," said the Wise Man, "Who is truly the most BWM? The man whose retirement plan is a $1.4 million ghost town... or the friends of that man who invested six figures on the idea and expected to make money from the investment?"

He paused as he took a drag from his pipe and a sickly sweet smoke lofted up from the chamber, "A fool flatters themselves for their shrewd business deal. A clever man flatters the fool into investing in his dungaree cave."

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Didn’t this guy’s town burn down a few months ago?

KEELER, Calif. — The smell of scorched wood and melted wiring lingered in the air Thursday as Brent Underwood surveyed the damage to this 19th century mining town perched 8,500 feet above the Owens Valley floor.
The marketer and his partners bought the Cerro Gordo ghost town for $1.4 million in 2018 with the goal of transforming it into a remote tourist attraction. Visitors would enjoy gourmet meals, hikes to scowling mine shafts and overnight stays in a rickety bunkhouse and hotel.
But that dream suffered a fiery setback last week. Underwood said he was awakened at 3 a.m. June 15 by the stuff of nightmares: furious winds driving flames that were leaping like demons and scorching unpredictable paths up slopes dotted with historic mining structures. Then came the explosions of propane tanks as flames engulfed the hotel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...mes%3f_amp=true

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To be fair, I would probably trek all they way up there to tramp around an abandoned mine, but the my tourism dollars would probably amount to maybe a tank of gas and whatever a backpacking permit might cost.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JnnyThndrs posted:

Didn’t this guy’s town burn down a few months ago?

KEELER, Calif. — The smell of scorched wood and melted wiring lingered in the air Thursday as Brent Underwood surveyed the damage to this 19th century mining town perched 8,500 feet above the Owens Valley floor.
The marketer and his partners bought the Cerro Gordo ghost town for $1.4 million in 2018 with the goal of transforming it into a remote tourist attraction. Visitors would enjoy gourmet meals, hikes to scowling mine shafts and overnight stays in a rickety bunkhouse and hotel.
But that dream suffered a fiery setback last week. Underwood said he was awakened at 3 a.m. June 15 by the stuff of nightmares: furious winds driving flames that were leaping like demons and scorching unpredictable paths up slopes dotted with historic mining structures. Then came the explosions of propane tanks as flames engulfed the hotel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...mes%3f_amp=true

It wasn't the whole town. It was part of the hotel that he was doing renovations and wiring on.

Either the fire started because he is a marketer who was trying to do electrical work on a building made from century old wood and did something wrong, or it could have an equally plausible explanation:

quote:

Then, the lanky 32-year-old suggested the cause might be paranormal. “The caretaker here told me that he and another person saw a shadowy apparition moving in the hotel kitchen at 4 p.m. the previous day.”

Strange occurrences and ghostly apparitions are part of the myth and allure that Underwood and his partners are banking on, in part, to create a wilderness hideaway like no other for urbanites aching to escape the clatter and routine of city life.

"In its heyday, there was a murder a week in Cerro Gordo, an extraordinarily violent community of about 500 people. The house that was destroyed by fire once belonged to a man named William Crapo, who gunned down a postmaster as he walked along the dirt road skirting the American Hotel," said Underwood.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I mean, why do you think they call them ghost towns?

:iiam:

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Oh interesting, that reminds me of a local money pit, a recreation of a medieval castle in central Kentucky that some marketer bought to turn into an upscale hotel. It also caught fire during "wiring upgrades" and paid out a lot of insurance money, what a random happenstance thing to happen.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

vonnegutt posted:

Oh interesting, that reminds me of a local money pit, a recreation of a medieval castle in central Kentucky that some marketer bought to turn into an upscale hotel. It also caught fire during "wiring upgrades" and paid out a lot of insurance money, what a random happenstance thing to happen.

According to his GoFundMe, he didn't insure any of it.

Not sure if attempting insurance fraud or burning it down without insurance would be worse with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The GoFundMe also says:

quote:

The cause of the fire is unknown. The common assessment right now is old electrical wiring and paper thin, dry wood. We don’t yet know. There was some work being done by myself and others in there, but fire department said it wasn't able to pinpoint the source. This fire may have been inevitable.

quote:

We may never know exactly what started this fire. Fire officials told me that it could have been a thousand different things in these old buildings.

Sure, bro. It could be a thousand different reasons why the wiring upgrades that you were working on that day decided to start a fire.

999 of those 1,000 reasons are a lot less likely than one of them.