Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

To the extent that I hear a voice when I read Spider-Man, which honestly isn't much, it's still the guy from Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends.

I still hear 90s animated guy in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly probably Yuri Lowenthal or Josh Keaton for me.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hear Greg Brady a lot too. Especially if it’s an 80s/90s story

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I hear the guy from the first Marvel vs Capcom

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AnonSpore posted:

I hear the guy from the first Marvel vs Capcom
One for JJ!

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Of course anyone who watched the 90s show hears that guy’s voice - he had a nonstop running monologue throughout every show about what was going on at all times

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not sure about the reliability of this, but supposedly this is what the new movie Snake Eyes will look like

https://twitter.com/Ode2Ash/status/1312894040564797442?s=20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I dunno. Could use some visor-pouches

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Garfield is written to be such an rear end in a top hat in those movies that it's just impossible for me to view him well. It bothers the heck out of me that Amazing has Captain Stacy like "Pete...I'm dying. Before I go, please...leave my daughter alone before you get her killed. In some sort of goblin-related falling injury." And like 5 minutes later he's just not doing that. Not even trying a little. The sequel doesn't have him trying either. It's an odd character beat.

Holland's not flawless, but he's done the best with it so far for me. McGuire didn't land the wit and snark well enough. He looks like a dweeb (like physically acts as one in the films, not a comment on his appearance). Plus yeah, as folks have said, Dunst is just doing nothing good at all in any of those movies. Not one.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yep. Which is bizarre, because this is actually mostly independent of the Peter I'm reading. I could crack open something from the 80's and I'll still use the 90's cartoon guy. It's that or Ultimate Spider-Man from the Gamecube game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jagermonster posted:

Of course anyone who watched the 90s show hears that guy’s voice - he had a nonstop running monologue throughout every show about what was going on at all times

Truly, the most accurate version of the sixties comics possible, in at least one way.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The first two Raimi films were a lot of fun when they first came out but really don't hold up well on multiple viewings. They were created to be enjoyed in a theatre where you are living in the now and enjoying the spectacle without thinking too much about what you are seeing. The really haven't aged well but it was the first big screen Spiderman movies and at the moment in cinematic history they were pretty great ( I will honestly say the same about the first 2 X-Men movies).
ASM 1 was boring and I couldn't finish ASM 2. Garfield was......fine I guess. I honestly couldn't care at all about any of the characters though.
Holland is fine and it feels like the first time a movies has moved away from the "lol you like science you nerd I am going to pants you now because I am a jock and therefore a complete idiot" way of thinking which is great because it feels less like a old person trying to remember what high school was like for them 40 years ago. I agree with the complaint of Spidey being a bit too much like Iron Man and I really don't like the Spider suit that can do everything. I actually like that Parker has to know how to sew up holes and actually have to worry about his costume getting dirty and smelly. That poo poo is relatable as opposed to some high tech super army uniform he has going on.

Spiderverse is the best Spiderman movie hands down. The story is great, the animation is great and full of so many little easter eggs that unlike the Raimi films it really does hold up and need rewatchings.

edit: Alan Moore is comic book related so does anyone know what The Show is besides Alan Moore's big screen debut?

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 5, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't recognize anyone that thinks Spider-Man 2 is bad

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Is a film bad if I literally can't remember anything about it?
Like, there was a man with mental problems, who fixated on his best buddy Spider-Man. Then he got electric powers.
That's all I can recall.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That’s not Spider-Man 2 that’s Spider-Man 4 2 which is also Spider-Man 5

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

drat

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1313306042076286976?s=20

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

With theater chains starting to just flat out die, I don't think this whole thing where studios just make movies then never release them is gonna be the winning strategy here.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Unmature posted:

That’s not Spider-Man 2 that’s Spider-Man 4 2 which is also Spider-Man 5

Under the Sajdak act that's Spider-Man 5: The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Which makes his most recent outing "Spider-Man 8: The Amazing Spider-Man 5: Into the Spiderverse 2: Spider-Man 2: Far From Home"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vince MechMahon posted:

With theater chains starting to just flat out die, I don't think this whole thing where studios just make movies then never release them is gonna be the winning strategy here.

Eh, call me a Pollyanna but the pandemic will end and there's enough proven profit in theatrical releases that the theaters will come back in some form or another.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah if the current ones die someone will just start new ones.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Movies are never coming out again.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Movies are never coming out again.

Oh no, see - it's fine because you'll be able to watch them on your TV for the low, low price of $30. If you're very lucky it won't involve jumping through some annoying hoop or installing another new client as the studios fragment everything.

You won't be able to complain because someone who has 4 kids will appear and remind you how expensive trips to the movies are for him, and that movie theaters are basically big rackets who overcharge for snacks so they deserve to all go out of business.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit annoyed at Cineworld having to close all their sites and seeing the only real response from people be "Ah well. Going to the movies is poo poo anyway, Netflix is only £9!!! CoMFoRT oF My oWn HOmE" like its inconceivable that while I'm spending all my time working from home it might not nice to go out to see a movie for once.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Oh no, see - it's fine because you'll be able to watch them on your TV for the low, low price of $30. If you're very lucky it won't involve jumping through some annoying hoop or installing another new client as the studios fragment everything.

You won't be able to complain because someone who has 4 kids will appear and remind you how expensive trips to the movies are for him, and that movie theaters are basically big rackets who overcharge for snacks so they deserve to all go out of business.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit annoyed at Cineworld having to close all their sites and seeing the only real response from people be "Ah well. Going to the movies is poo poo anyway, Netflix is only £9!!! CoMFoRT oF My oWn HOmE" like its inconceivable that while I'm spending all my time working from home it might not nice to go out to see a movie for once.

No kids, but would gladly throw in $10 to watch Batman with my roommates. That's what it would have cost us each for tickets anyway. Maybe you should get some friends. Downloading an app isn't an ordeal.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Maybe you should get some friends.

Or maybe I would just prefer to view films in a better setting than my house? gently caress me, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're going through a lot of layers here.

Being upset the theaters are closing is one thing, but you're mad because you can't go see a movie right now, during a pandemic?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm going to be charitable and assume he meant that he's concerned about the cinemas not coming back once the pandemic is over

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah it's more fear for the future, and that the longer they're closed the less likely it is they'll ever come back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm fine with never going to a theater again honestly, so we've got a disconnect on how much we value the giant rip off auditorium full of the worst of humanity, I guess.

E: I may have feelings on theaters lingering from working at one but honestly they're just sticky, dirty boxes full of people who can't shut up, are jerking off, or both.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Fair enough. If I'd witnessed people jerking off in there I'd probably be right there with you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm fine with never going to a theater again honestly, so we've got a disconnect on how much we value the giant rip off auditorium full of the worst of humanity, I guess.

But enough about BSS.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Yeah it's more fear for the future, and that the longer they're closed the less likely it is they'll ever come back.

The current players may all die but someone who wants a slice of the billions will take their place.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Counterpoint, even surrounded by other people it's way easier to focus on a movie if you're watching it in a darkened theater than sitting alone on your couch with your phone and/or tablet next to you. At least that's what I find to be true.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I've got some bad news about the future.

Especially if you are in the UK.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aphrodite posted:

But enough about BSS.

The current players may all die but someone who wants a slice of the billions will take their place.

Sometimes, dead is better. The theater that you closed ain't the one that comes back. It might look like that theater, but it ain't that theater, because whoever's got money after Covid ain't human at all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Destruction of theaters and social entertainment is another layer of societal atomization, but $8 popcorn.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Aphrodite posted:

But enough about BSS.

Excuse me, BSS is like a velvet box full of angels and sugar.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
maybe theaters shouldn't die because an entire industry full of unemployed workers would be bad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Trump admin already had United States v. Paramount struck down in August. The studios are going to sweep in and have their own theaters as soon as it's financially viable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Fair enough. If I'd witnessed people jerking off in there I'd probably be right there with you.

The amount of gross old couples we had to throw out for fuckin in the theaters was astounding. It was always fat white couples in their forties. One chick was giving the dude a hj in the middle of paranormal activity 2 on opening night in a sold out theater.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I always went to matinee shows for a 6 dollar ticket, so to hell with paying 30 bucks to watch a movie once. Might as well wait for the Blu-Ray/DVD to come out. That'd be cheaper.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Movie theaters are good, what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

The Trump admin already had United States v. Paramount struck down in August. The studios are going to sweep in and have their own theaters as soon as it's financially viable.

Good thing Disney owns just about all movie making nowadays.

Really going to keep the amount of different theaters I have to go to down.