Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

drat horror queefs posted:

(notable exception are the WORLD OF KAMANDI maps which are pure and good and rise above the dross of this foul world, but it's a comic so doesn't count)

Mods plz change my name to MAD-HOLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[STRANGE FIRE AREA]

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really enjoyed seeing Kanga Rat Murder Society play live back in '15.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think it's fitting for any proper fantasy map to end maybe 50 miles away from town and have dragons and fanciful names like "Mad Hole" scribbled on the margins

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://www.theonion.com/grown-man-refers-to-map-at-beginning-of-novel-to-find-o-1819576422

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

I personally do not give a poo poo about maps in books. Most of the time you see it before you have any context and I'm not going to flip back to the front of the book to look something up.

I write off any fantasy book that includes a map. It's dumb.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

drat horror queefs posted:

It's honestly bewildering to me that some people really, really care about their fantasyland geography. I barely ever gave them a glance even as a kid when I was more invested in that poo poo.

Did fantasy novels even have maps before Tolkien?

(notable exception are the WORLD OF KAMANDI maps which are pure and good and rise above the dross of this foul world, but it's a comic so doesn't count)

Treasure island started with the map and wrote the story around it. Not fantasy proper ofc

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I like maps and will flip forward to look at them at times to figured out where stuff is. Particularly when characters are traveling and they mentioned the general location of x place in relation to y place a few chapters back, which I have since forgotten. I also like lists of characters, and sometimes terminology.

It just reminds me of reading actual history where referring to maps and notes on poo poo is pretty normal. And it shows a depth of thought and effort on an author's part that usually pays off in a better, less messy story.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Maps are helpful if the story involves warfare and political intrigue and characters in-story are actually referring to maps themselves to plan their great conquest.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

poisonpill posted:

A kender, wild mage, paladin, and a chaotic neutral psionic walk into a tavern.

I would enjoy this game, but only because I like stupid things.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I'll post something here in the lazy but not very pervy vein:

LE Modessit Jr

Have you read one of his books? Congrats you've now read them all.

Yeah it took me like 6 or 7 books to realize they were all practically the same. He did write some prequel type ones that went over the early days of magic and so on that were different and better IMO than the others, but looking at the book list I stopped at book 13 and he's up to 22 goddamn books now.

My contribution to the bad fantasy thread is the Night Angel trilogy (always a trilogy). When it came out almost 15 years ago I loved it, but I think if I re-read it now I'd be pretty disappointed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
modesitt's books where the protagonist is not a craftsman of some type are slightly better, but it's still all the same story. there's like, a whole other continent in the recluce setting that is supposed to have a completely different culture but instead of doing anything with that the dude decided to make more slight variations on a theme set in the same area as every other book. i think he started a series in a different setting too, but that was also more of the same.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol i was curious about how many books modesitt has written (a lot) and apparently he is real dang mad about 'a petty criminal being viewed as a martyr'.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

He wrote a few stand- alone novels as well. I thought The Parafaith War (1997) was pretty good.

Man you're write about those Recluse books though. I think I read maybe 3 before I was "You know these do seem reeeaaalllll similar".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

julian may, the many coloured land et al. Just completely berzerk sci fantasy with space elf pliocene rape camps and glowing colour coded psychics zapping each other and lesbian hockey players blasting open the mediterranean while hanging from a hot air balloon, and and and

it's just really really good trash i tell u

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

sebmojo posted:

julian may, the many coloured land et al. Just completely berzerk sci fantasy with space elf pliocene rape camps and glowing colour coded psychics zapping each other and lesbian hockey players blasting open the mediterranean while hanging from a hot air balloon, and and and

it's just really really good trash i tell u

Those semi-shared-continuity Julian May series are interesting.
As outlined above, by rights they should be utterly ridiculously awful, but somehow it all comes together into something genuinely good. As in, "can reread today and be only moderately embarrassed at the bad parts, and still entertained by the rest."
I don't know why. It's got most of the stuff being mocked in this thread, but... ???

At least in my opinion, anyway. Obviously subjective.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The first couple of books of the Many Coloured Land are ok, but I feel they get genuinally interesting as you get into books 3-4 and she really shakes up the established status quo. Aiken Drums character arc is pretty good, and Marc Remillard is a great, not even sure what to call him, anti-hero?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 27, 2020

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Deptfordx posted:

He wrote a few stand- alone novels as well. I thought The Parafaith War (1997) was pretty good.

Man you're write about those Recluse books though. I think I read maybe 3 before I was "You know these do seem reeeaaalllll similar".

I read almost all of the Recluse novels. They are broken up into several series based on the main protagonist. I can forgive anyone for thinking they are the same book, if they didn't delve into them all. There is one series set in the third contingent, which has a more science based culture.

The first continent is ruled by chaos mages. Recluse is ruled by order mages. The third contingent is ruled by an empire that only barely tolerates magic. The fourth contingent was (from what I remember) merchants that everyone basically pissed on at every opportunity.

What I liked most, besides the world building of the various kingdoms, empires, and even a magical forest of druids who use both order and chaos. It sounds more trite than it was. The description of magic was interesting, too. It all stemmed from two warring space ships crashing on a planet, wherein the weaponry of both ships "exploded" and overlaid the planet in a minimally described network that allowed descendants of both crew to use "magic". Two of the best stories in the series were about the survivors of the "angels" who became order mages, and the kingdom founded by the "demons" who became chaos mages.

I could go on forever about it, but Moddisett did that already. And, admittedly, some of the books are formulaic...

I was a big fan of Pern, too. However, the master harper series was much better than any of the books dealing with dragon riders. Dragon riders were all assholes. At least the harpers were normal people doing normal people things.

The talents and brain ships were odd. The brain ships were ok but the talents were bonkers with underage sex poo poo.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 24, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deptfordx posted:

The first couple of books of the Many Coloured Land are ok, but I feel they get genuinally intersting as you get into books 3-4 and she really shakes up the established status quo. Aiken Drums character arc is pretty good, and Marc Remillard is a great, not even sure what to call him, anti-hero?

She's a competent writer and doesn't love her farts too much to gently caress her characters poo poo up, yeah. Interestingly she came out of fandom and it's all tailor made for cosplaying, unfortunately she was too early for the internet

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

has anyone read the redwall books as an adult? i loved them as a kid but i have no idea what kind of crazy themes and such i just missed because i was too young.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

has anyone read the redwall books as an adult? i loved them as a kid but i have no idea what kind of crazy themes and such i just missed because i was too young.

Well you see, certain races, uh, woodland species are always evil, no matter what you do.
So it's better to just kill them all and get it over with rather than try to negotiate with them or change them.
Kill kill kill them all we must secure a future for mouse children.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Picked up the Dark Lord of Derkholm thanks to this thread and I think it's the fastest I've ever read a 500 page book. So... thanks. I think a thread where people are pointing out BAD books is much more useful than recommendation threads, as when a good one gets brought up it gets defended. Good thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'm rereading Dark Lord of Derkholm because of this thread and it's delightful. I love Diana Wynne Jones.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I still appreciate this thread. Reading about Derkholm makes me want to write a story about a Dark Lord's underlings getting a union to back their demands for better treatment.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The book Grunts! was brought up earlier, and I'm not going to defend or recommend it because it really does have some terrible poo poo in it, but it is similar to Derkholm in its use of an overly generic fantasy world to tell a subversive to the genre story. Aside from Discworld (where it's the entire gimmick), it feels like a pretty untapped well of story ideas.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Checking in as someone who owned nearly every single dragonlance book as a kid

I remember trying to sell the entire set on eBay, don’t think it was worth anything to anyone but me
:(

Tbf most of my copies were in poor shape from being bent creased or water damage from reading in the bath

Oh also my first BBS screen name was Raistlin.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Let's list all the reasons Raistlin appealed to little aspie boys:

1. Smarter than everyone
2. Older than his years
3. Achievements all based on passing tests
4. Didn't have sex, still cool

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Didn't like him then and don't like him now
gently caress Raistlin

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Even as a child I noticed the crippling weakness of the combination "relies on others to save him from his body's frailty" and "is a complete rear end in a top hat to others". Never a tempting character.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have always assumed his name was pronounced like "Wrasslin' " and Ill be damned if this thread changes my mind

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Atopian posted:

Even as a child I noticed the crippling weakness of the combination "relies on others to save him from his body's frailty" and "is a complete rear end in a top hat to others". Never a tempting character.

As a kid just entering into teenage years it matched perfectly with the angst

At least for me

Too bad he couldn’t do much other than cough up blood and the occasional spell

gently caress you mom and dad !

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

tTHeres a frontpage?!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Atopian posted:

This is the origin story of, like, almost every music scene dude in the 90s and the basis of indie rock.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Atopian posted:

Well you see, certain races, uh, woodland species are always evil, no matter what you do.
So it's better to just kill them all and get it over with rather than try to negotiate with them or change them.
Kill kill kill them all we must secure a future for mouse children.

i knew there was something i missed lmao

the main thing i remember from redwall is that everyone was obsessed with martin the warrior and also meals. i never understood how the mice got cheese when there didnt seem to be any humans and cows are very large.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think the first Redwall book mentions a farmer and his horse cart, but it's never mentioned again.

Someone needs to make a Binging with Babish style Youtube channel specifically for Redwall food.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i have a very vivid memory of a hare being challenged to an eating contest by shrews or something and he beat them effortlessly by pacing himself and eating slowly, whereas the shrew eating champion ate too fast and got full quickly. it was bowls of stew or something

in retrospect it seems unfair because a hare is like 10x the size of a shrew. i never understood if the animals in redwall were supposed to be the same size as real animals or if they were just like animal people who would be slightly bigger or smaller. a badger palling around with mice would be crazy, a badger is like godzilla to a mouse.

rats overall get a bad rap in society. i think a lot of people think that mice are like what rats are actually like, whereas real mice are way too tiny and they piss constantly cause they dont have a valve on their bladder to stop piss coming out. whereas rats are clean and theyre bigger and more cuddly.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Rats are good bois while mice exist just to be food for bigger animals.

Personally I prefer guinea pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Rats are good bois while mice exist just to be food for bigger animals.

Personally I prefer guinea pigs.

All three are just mobile packs of protein.