Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I felt like the twins prophecy lined up more with Xavier and Cassandra Nova than the Braddocks.

Maybe if they still had the Cerebro Sword.

Edit: Additional Thought: Okay I was gonna say "what if it's both" but then I remembered Betsy Braddock has a twin that is a mutant and isn't Brian, and Psylocke is a perfect fit for a SWORD TOURNAMENT, and would PROBABLY have some stuff to say about the idea of being remade with her death into a different version of herself.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Jamie braddock isn't a twin though. He is the older brother.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

And Psylocke isn't a twin by any reasonable measure.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

KaosMachina posted:

Maybe if they still had the Cerebro Sword.

Surely retrieving the Cerebro sword will be one of the side adventures stretching out this 22 part story.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Doesn't the promo work show us who the 10 will be? The ones all holding a sword?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kingtheninja posted:

Doesn't the promo work show us who the 10 will be? The ones all holding a sword?

The first promo had way the gently caress more than 10 people holding swords.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Well there's 10 people on each side that are gonna have magic swords, so were there 20 people?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, we already know who the X-Men swordbearers are.

Magik
Gorgon
Wolverine
Doug
Storm
Betsy
Brian
Cable
Apocalypse
Magneto

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

KaosMachina posted:

Well there's 10 people on each side that are gonna have magic swords, so were there 20 people?

Actually, unless I'm miscounting there's exactly 20 people

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I mean, you can just buy swords. Hellfire Trading makes enough to buy some swords.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Looking at the original promo image, I do vaguely remember there was a time when Rachel had a giant sword that somehow contained the Phoenix Force, but I don't remember what happened with that. I think that's the sword she's carrying in the picture.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah there was a Shi'ar guy who looked like a Final Fantasy reject that had a sword with a little bit of the Phoenix Force and... yeah I can't remember what happened with him or the sword.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

rantmo posted:

Yeah there was a Shi'ar guy who looked like a Final Fantasy reject that had a sword with a little bit of the Phoenix Force and... yeah I can't remember what happened with him or the sword.

The phoenix force returned, the piece of it in the sword disappeared, and he went from swinging his sword like Cloud to "poo poo, this is a worthless hunk of metal" and I think he got killed.

War of Kings stuff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That guy made me mad because when I was a kid one of the characters I came up with in my head was a guy who had a sword that had some of the Phoenix force in it. Although it wasn't that original of a character I guess since it was just Galford from Samurai Showdown with a cool sword.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Rick posted:

That guy made me mad because when I was a kid one of the characters I came up with in my head was a guy who had a sword that had some of the Phoenix force in it. Although it wasn't that original of a character I guess since it was just Galford from Samurai Showdown with a cool sword.

Would it have been less original than Literally Just Cloud Like Come On He Has The loving Shoulderpad?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Pffft, Cloud has hair like a mammal, this guy whose name I can't be bothered to try and remember or look up has feathers because he's a bird jerk man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rantmo posted:

Pffft, Cloud has hair like a mammal, this guy whose name I can't be bothered to try and remember or look up has feathers because he's a bird jerk man.

Cloud's hair is directly compared to Chocobo Feathers. :colbert:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Okay, poo poo, finally got around to getting my books and reading X-Factor.
So if Real Santo isn't back by the end of this event, I plan on suing for emotional anguish or some poo poo like that. Who do I aim my lawyers at, Marvel Comics or Jon Hickman? There are like FOUR X-Men total that I don't not care about if you throw them into the Permadeath Meat Grinder: Gabby, Laura, Anole, and SANTO.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

I could be wrong, but I think either they hadn’t decided who the swordbearers would be at the time (this was in February, iirc, before COVID blew up) or it was just meant to create a sense of mystery about the event. I don’t think that promo was intended to be taken literally.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a cool picture of x-men with sweet swords. it doesn't really need a reason to exist.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

KaosMachina posted:

Would it have been less original than Literally Just Cloud Like Come On He Has The loving Shoulderpad?

Lol I mean he had a shoulderpad too because Galford is basically a Cloud predecessor. But yeah this is pretty blatant. Also the dude dated Rachel. This was definitely the writer's OC.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rantmo posted:

And Psylocke isn't a twin by any reasonable measure.
Betsy and Brian were always fraternal twins! She dyes her hair purple, possibly due to an early adoption of anime.

However, Psylocke is most famous for when - there is no good way to put this - she was an Asian woman, due to Betsy's mind being transplanted into a ninja assassin body by Spiral and Mojo, who one presumes did it for the laffs. But I believe Betsy is currently in her body of origin, or a clone duplicate thereof.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

Betsy and Brian were always fraternal twins! She dyes her hair purple, possibly due to an early adoption of anime.

However, Psylocke is most famous for when - there is no good way to put this - she was an Asian woman, due to Betsy's mind being transplanted into a ninja assassin body by Spiral and Mojo, who one presumes did it for the laffs. But I believe Betsy is currently in her body of origin, or a clone duplicate thereof.

Betsy rebuilt her original body during the Logan resurrection shenanigans after being eaten by a psychic vampire. Kwannon was resurrected on Krakoa at some undefined point and Betsy ceded the codename Psylocke to her, and that's who I meant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rantmo posted:

Betsy rebuilt her original body during the Logan resurrection shenanigans after being eaten by a psychic vampire. Kwannon was resurrected on Krakoa at some undefined point and Betsy ceded the codename Psylocke to her, and that's who I meant.
Curse me for a novice. Fair enough then

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rantmo posted:

Which I don't like since Kwannon already had an X-Man code name and Revanche sounds cooler than Psylocke. But I think the ceding the Psylock name was in Fallen Angels and that was terrible from the ground up and completely ignored everything about everybody that came before.

Do we know that the X-Men will have a full 10 wielders? I though it was already established Gorgon was wielding both Grasscutter and God killer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wtf even is a psylocke

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wtf even is a psylocke

Mojo named her that so it's probably a case of "he made up something that sounded marketable."

I had the discussion with a friend a while ago and they were basically convinced that it was supposed to be a joke on psyche. Instead of psy-key you have psy-lock. I don't really believe them but I've heard dumber origins for superhero names.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1312905339617136640?s=20

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How is Hellions so far? I've only read the first issue so far and the Council having zero tolerance for Havok seems a bit much considering the number of people in the Council that either caused him trauma or manipulated that trauma for their own ends. I mean I'm not not a fan of the character but remanding him to the custody of the man that abused him for years as a child seems incredibly time drag on Marvel's part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How is Hellions so far? I've only read the first issue so far and the Council having zero tolerance for Havok seems a bit much considering the number of people in the Council that either caused him trauma or manipulated that trauma for their own ends. I mean I'm not not a fan of the character but remanding him to the custody of the man that abused him for years as a child seems incredibly time drag on Marvel's part.

It's fun, and understands how Madelyne Pryor was loving done dirty.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The one big thing that I don't think enough people consider about Krakoa is something Exodus said in X-Men #11 to one of the campfire kids.

"You -- all of you -- will grow and play and live and love as you should."

Holy gently caress, do you know how astonishing that is? For all the complaints people have about Krakoa? Mutant children who don't have to grow up being trained for war. Who get to just be kids. Because they don't have to constantly fight for their lives. They have adults who are numerous and powerful enough to actually protect them. For the first time the mutant teams don't have to be wholly or partially made up of god drat child soldiers.

Some will choose to learn how to fight, just like some kids go into ROTC in High School. But it's an actual choice. They don't have to. Plenty won't. At least not until they're grown. And maybe not even then.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

Okay, poo poo, finally got around to getting my books and reading X-Factor.
So if Real Santo isn't back by the end of this event, I plan on suing for emotional anguish or some poo poo like that. Who do I aim my lawyers at, Marvel Comics or Jon Hickman? There are like FOUR X-Men total that I don't not care about if you throw them into the Permadeath Meat Grinder: Gabby, Laura, Anole, and SANTO.

Came into this thread to ditto this post almost exactly. Out of all the mutants, they took my boy!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/bethama/status/1312365704792944640?s=19

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mister Sinister was (secretly, retconned) in charge of the orphanage where Scott Summers spent his childhood, I guess technically Alex was there for a bit but he got quickly adopted and was raised by a foster family that I don't even think in retcons were in cahoots with Mister Sinister.

Maybe they retconned it even further later on, but the entire chronology of 1960s-1990s X-Men that was basically "Cyclops is an orphan... who has a long lost brother he forgot about! And his dad is still alive, but in space. And there's another brother, maybe we'll get around to talking about that eventually!" is insane before you even get into time travel and clones.

Like there's no doubt Havok and Sinister should be friends, but the same is true of Cyclops and Sinister, or about a hundred other friendly pairings on Krakoa.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think Havok's foster parents were in cahoots with Sinister but he kept a close eye on Havok and frequently futzed around with his memories. Sinister has always had a massive hard on for both of the Summers. I believe the current story is that Scott was the variable and Havok was the control in a double blind experiemnt. Havok had the higher power levels but Scott was enough of a boy scout to be more easily controlled so Scott got the personal touch.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

The info-dumps continually sprinkled throughout the event about the kingdoms of Otherworld makes suspect what Saturnyne's game is. Ten duels, ten kingdoms? Hmm...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marauders was really good. It's a good example of how a tie-in can work, as it stands on its own and you don't even need to muck with the main miniseries to get why it's important.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Marauders was an excellent, compact story that worked as a one-off but still made sense in the context of the event. Wolverine and X-Force were, I don't know. Solem feels like a pretty terrible and boring character and I didn't like having to read about him for 44 pages.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How vital are these Wolverine and X-Force issues to the event? On one hand, I don't have a big pull this week anyway, but on the other, I'd rather not pick up a book I haven't been following just to see how a character got a sword.

Edit: I went ahead and got them after skimming and seeing they where at least a two-parter among themselves. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of money.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Marauders was good, and I understand on a metatextual level why it was a solo Storm book, but she almost certainly knew she might need to steal the sword, so maybe bring along one of your oldest and closest friends who is also a ninja that can walk through walls.

Though typing that out i remembered Kitty Kate can't use the gates (and gently caress we aren't gonna get a why on that until after this is over, are we?) So leaving her behind when you might need a quick exit makes sense.