Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Romes128 posted:

The comic reveal is Black Noir was made from the same DNA as Homelander, and is basically his twin who's crazy af. He was made to be a contingency for Homelander. He did most of the really vile poo poo Homelander was blamed for, like raping Butchers wife and raping and murdering a gently caress ton of people. Homelander himself did some really bad poo poo too, but when confronted by Butcher about the rape allegations he was like, "that wasn't me." Then Black Noir takes off his mask and starts generally being crazy.

I wouldn't say he denied it, necessarily. It was more "Did I do that? Huh. Guess it's just one of those things I don't remember."

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
TV Homelander is so much more interesting and nuanced than Comics Homelander that the twist is completely unnecessary. He was a pretty boring dude in the comic

Fionordequester posted:

I wouldn't say he denied it, necessarily. It was more "I did lots of bad things, some of which I remember, some of which I don't. Oh well".

Yeah but the implication was that anything he didn't remember doing, he didn't do. And he didn't remember Becca!

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It's spelled out very clearly it wasn't him. It's even a plot point that he doesn't think of himself as a rapist because he's never physically held anyone down or whatever, and the stuff in the pictures is messing with him so hard he's getting panic attacks whenever he thinks about them

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crespolini posted:

It's spelled out very clearly it wasn't him. It's even a plot point that he doesn't think of himself as a rapist because he's never physically held anyone down or whatever, and the stuff in the pictures is messing with him so hard he's getting panic attacks whenever he thinks about them

His reaction isn't just to panic about it but to try and become the version of himself he sees in those photos. Because, clearly, he can do them: so why can't he do them? So throughout the comics there are shots where he's freaking out wondering "Why can't I do the things I can do?" and vomiting his guts out after doing something confidently horrible like murdering a whole bunch of people. It's not until the very end of the series where he's finally just broken himself enough to be proud of being capable of loving a dead man's skull. Something which impresses, and intimidates, literally no one: neither Butcher nor Stillwell at all really comment on the poo poo he does beyond the former wanting to kill him for his wife an the latter calling him a disappointment.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Yup. The reveal in the white house when Butcher tells him he became a psychopath by mistake is pretty funny

I actually do think it's one of the more interesting things the comic does, though on the whole I deffo prefer the TV version still

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I think they could still easily go that route thematically with Stormfront instead if they want to, but they've elevated the source material to the point that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that whatever they decide to do is going to be as good or better.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Crespolini posted:

Yup. The reveal in the white house when Butcher tells him he became a psychopath by mistake is pretty funny

I actually do think it's one of the more interesting things the comic does, though on the whole I deffo prefer the TV version still

Speaking of, I always found it disappointing that after Black Noir kills Homelander, Butcher kills him by beating his brains out with a crowbar. It just feels anticlimactic, even if Butcher is hopped up on V, it seems like something more satisfying should put him down.

Hopefully we get that satisfaction with Homeboy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

As Nero Danced posted:

Speaking of, I always found it disappointing that after Black Noir kills Homelander, Butcher kills him by beating his brains out with a crowbar. It just feels anticlimactic, even if Butcher is hopped up on V, it seems like something more satisfying should put him down.

Hopefully we get that satisfaction with Homeboy.

Black Noir gets gunned down by concentrated fire from like the entire US Marine Corps and is still alive even as a skeleton with 1 eye and half a brain. Butcher just finishes the job by prying the last little bit of brain out

It's a very disappointing chapter though because the Homelander vs BN fight is three total panels before they cut to the aftermath. I wanted to see the full rumble and why BN is all hosed up when he emerges!!

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah not only that but she also clearly only pops the guard's head and not his entire body, it's a bit hard to see in the scene itself but a few moments later there's a shot where you can see a uniformed headless corpse on the ground.

Turns out the goon accusing people of being bad at watching TV was a goon who's bad at watching TV all along, crazy.

She pops his entire upper body if not his entire body.

Here's a clip, watch it at 0.25 speed. His entire upper body gets squished like a beer can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTzVjbl9Kz0&t=102s

You can even see his arms get pulled towards his torso as she squeezes.

Edit: I see you checked out a similar video or probably the same one.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 5, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah I realized recently that they took inspiration from the comic, where, I think, Becc and Butcher are on vacation and Butcher laughs at Homelander's getup or something so he rapes her in revenge

Honestly it's not a great part of the comic. We aren't even introduced to Becca before she's "fridged" and her rape only exists as a motivator for Butcher's revenge.

I'm very glad they fleshed her out into an actual character in the TV show, although I still wonder if they are going to return to the story of her rape at any point. I remember Homelander denying it ("she came on to me") in the S1 finale but I don't think Becca has ever talked about what happened.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jabby posted:

Honestly it's not a great part of the comic. We aren't even introduced to Becca before she's "fridged" and her rape only exists as a motivator for Butcher's revenge.

I'm very glad they fleshed her out into an actual character in the TV show, although I still wonder if they are going to return to the story of her rape at any point. I remember Homelander denying it ("she came on to me") in the S1 finale but I don't think Becca has ever talked about what happened.

She flat out said that Homelander raped her.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ah, I completely missed that line the first time. I still wonder if there's more to the story though, like Vought finding women for Homelander for some sort of breeding experiments (Stormfront and her 'first natural-born superhero'). Raping a guy's wife to get back at him might be what they want for Homelander's character but as plot goes it's a really poor trope.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Romes128 posted:

The comic reveal is Black Noir was made from the same DNA as Homelander, and is basically his twin who's crazy af. He was made to be a contingency for Homelander. He did most of the really vile poo poo Homelander was blamed for, like raping Butchers wife and raping and murdering a gently caress ton of people. Homelander himself did some really bad poo poo too, but when confronted by Butcher about the rape allegations he was like, "that wasn't me." Then Black Noir takes off his mask and starts generally being crazy.

Important detail: Black Noir rapes, kills, and eats a baby, then anonymously sends photographs of him doing it to Homelander. Because Noir is a clone of Homelander, he has the same face, so Homelander assumes it was him doing it during a drug blackout (presumably this was before Photoshop). So, Homelander becomes a psychopath because he believes he already is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sure but our good friend Döppelgănger could have played a role and Vought could have knocked her out or something

But yeah that's a big mystery box to unpack

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Scientologists are goofy as hell" is such an odd plotline and so completely irrelevant to 2020 compared to the rest of the show

I am skeptical they can do it, but I am HOPEFUL they tie it in to the main plot in a satisfying way with the finale.

If they were just establishing the Season 3 conflict with all these scenes I'll be disappointed

Honestly I think a show that has as much "inside baseball" type storylines going on like this can't afford to ignore them. People who don't work in the entertainment industry don't care about Scientology, but you lliterlaly cannot ignore them if you work in entertainment or tech on the west coast.

Here's a great video i hadn't seen from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC4T06x4JXI

anyone know what those three S's are tattooed on Starr's left arm?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

FilthyImp posted:

Sure but our good friend Döppelgănger could have played a role and Vought could have knocked her out or something

But yeah that's a big mystery box to unpack

He acknowledged it in S1's finale, though.

My read was a 'status rape' thing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

From the preview of episode 8: can anyone identify this symbol from the folder Atrain hands starlight?

Everyone acts like it's something to do with Stormfront.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Goons please stop coming up with weird ‘what really happened’ stories about Homelander’s rape crime, it’s weird. And if Homelander were somehow not to blame the child wouldn’t have Homelander powers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF8GrWFldAv/

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

lol, considering the direction his arc could be heading in, I think that person might end up regretting getting it. (Not that Billy Butcher is currently a good person).

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I want to meet Vought Tower's fire marshal. "This is a real nice Super Prison Cell, you have there, but the codes require emergency signage in these OSHA approved frequencies."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah I realized recently that they took inspiration from the comic, where, I think, Becc and Butcher are on vacation and Butcher laughs at Homelander's getup or something so he rapes her in revenge

The most significant deviation from the comics on the show is that it's undisputed that Homelander forced himself on Becca, but in the comic it's made pretty clear that it was Black Noir who raped Butcher's wife and framed Homelander for it. When Butcher confronts Homelander at the book's climax, Homelander has no loving clue what he's talking about, which is when Noir comes into frame with his HENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNH I DID THINGS ultra-creepy reveal. So in a way, the show is *darker* than the comic on that one particular plot point, because in the comic, Homelander goes full on evil because he's masterfully gaslit and headfucked by Black Noir into thinking he's doing all this evil poo poo during blackouts, so why not just lean into it because no one can stop him. :shrug:

Also, calling it now: Black Noir is a Stan Edgar clone dosed with V. It might explain why he's not allowed to speak - people at Vought would instantly recognize his voice.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 5, 2020

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think it's more interesting for superman to be a cruel narccisist who views regular humans as untermenschen than it is to do a weird bizarro superman evil plot secret reveal thingy.

Very glad the show isn't doing this silly plot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In a surprise twist they just reverse BN and HL. Homelander dresses up as black noir and does horrible things

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think it's more interesting for superman to be a cruel narccisist who views regular humans as untermenschen than it is to do a weird bizarro superman evil plot secret reveal thingy.

Very glad the show isn't doing this silly plot.

I mean, comic Homelander still ends up there. That scene with the family and the car from a couple pages ago is one of the rare highlights from the comic that isn't about shocking gore or putting a boner in an eye socket.

The thing i like about the BN twist is that it bounces ultimate responsibility back at Vought. BN does these things not because he's a bizarro Superman who does opposite things because they're opposite, but because he's been programmed from birth by Vought to only have one goal: kill Homelander if he goes nuts. He's compelled to want to do this, but can't unless Homelander does something to make Vought give the order. So he tries to get them to do it because he knows it's the ONLY REASON HE EXISTS and he has a desperate, profound need to fulfill it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
In case anyone has any interest in reading the comics, it's still up for about a week on Humble Bundle.

$15 for the entire series, plus some other books.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...wers_bookbundle

Fair warning, as it's been said many times itt, the comics are teenage edgelord poo poo that gets incredibly graphic for no reason other than teenage edgelord poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It doesn't have all of "Dear Becky" but honestly that's kind of a good thing thus far.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Is Dear Becky worth checking out, assuming I could borrow the series from a friend for free? Im kind of tempted to, just to see how he even wrote a sequel. The ending didn't really leave many unanswered questions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Beef Stew posted:

Is Dear Becky worth checking out, assuming I could borrow the series from a friend for free? Im kind of tempted to, just to see how he even wrote a sequel. The ending didn't really leave many unanswered questions.

It really hasn't *gone* anywhere yet, even four issues in. It just kinda feels like Ennis writing simply because he knew he'd make some extra money if he could put a Boys book out during the run-up to and during the second season of the show.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man that last episode made me uncomfortable. I felt slightly ill from the guy getting bombarded with the 24/7 Supe news cycle and stuff like Stormfront going "there's never been anyone more persecuted than us" got a little too real.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just finished the comics and the ending was really fuckin dumb.

Butcher plans to kill a ton of people and MM, Frenchie, and the Female get killed trying to stop him. Also that MM mother reveal. Ugh.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I think the head popper might be Cindy's brother. He explodes heads (on Edgar's behalf), she implodes people.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Edgar and Stormfront want the same thing for different reasons. Both want Vought to profit and both want a stable Compound V treatment for adults, where they diverge is that Edgar sees this as a product for himself and the select rich that will pay a premium for it, while Stormfront wants to use a stable V to create her perfect übermensch species.

Yes, Stormfront will throw Edgar away the moment he stops being useful to her. She already has access to V, she just uses Vought's resources and Edgar is good at managing the company - or was, before their secrets got exposed.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, calling it now: Black Noir is a Stan Edgar clone dosed with V. It might explain why he's not allowed to speak - people at Vought would instantly recognize his voice.

I kinda like this theory, though truly we don't know if Black Noir ever does speak off-camera and it's just a running gag to not give him lines.

Fresca was also a running gag that the showrunners decided to heavily lean into, as was the decision to keep random flies in footage and not remove them during post-production. Or that's the official explanation, anyway. If you ask me, some of those fly appearances looked suspiciously CG.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beef Stew posted:

It isn't a sequel, it's a prequel about Butcher and the events that caused the Boys to split.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Head exploder guy is actually an Ant-man analogue, and the fly is his vehicle.

Also i would say Dear Becky isn't worth reading. So far it feels like unneeded deleted scenes cut from the original comic, and the original comic had a bunch of stuff that should have been deleted already.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Edgar and Stormfront want the same thing for different reasons. Both want Vought to profit and both want a stable Compound V treatment for adults, where they diverge is that Edgar sees this as a product for himself and the select rich that will pay a premium for it, while Stormfront wants to use a stable V to create her perfect übermensch species.

I hope they make more of Edgar at some point. Stillwell in the comics was basically the only "true" psychopath in the cast (par for the course for the CEO of a large company I guess).

Edgar so far has seemed unintimidated by Homelander, but Comic Stillwell was perfectly calm even when Homelander was post-breakdown and actually promising to rip him apart.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I try to avoid Internet Culture the best I can, but can I assume that pewdiepie's star has faded to the point where a show can have a literal nazi endorse him and they won't get sued?

e: would be depressing to think they paid him for that shoutout

echoplex fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 5, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's still a thing.

But I've made no real effort to work out how much a thing he is. He's still big with a lot of people.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can’t sue a show because an evil person said your name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

echoplex posted:

can I assume that pewdiepie's star has faded

I teach elementary school. No, he is still massively popular.