Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

heres another choice bit

she literally doesnt have any actual examples of the city having changed at all but still says that the entire thing is staged because she has i dunno a gut feeling or something

the article also doubles as a helpful demonstration of how anyone saying that pyongyang is staged is also almost certainly full of poo poo for the exact same reason they never offer any evidence its literally just how can people be happy when ive read all these news articles that say theyre miserable

complete loving moron, "feeling heaviness in the air" and "seeing blankness in people's eyes", and I'm supposed to wring my hands about china kicking out halfwit "journalists" like this, it's the best thing they did lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

*sees people outside enjoying meals and the sound of children laughter*

Goddamn this is a hellhole

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

writing anti-china takes keeps them in china longer than pro-china takes b/c their employers will whip them out of there so fast

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1310605029980606464

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

I don't get it; eliminating poverty is very good, as is controlling covid better than anyone else (except maybe Taiwan?), but cracking down on journalism is bad and can be called bad. The Washington Post article is, however, pretty terrible:

Problem is poverty is defined same as in other countries, where it's looked at from a 1000 miles up and just pegged to a dollar amount rather than accomplishing a set of necessities. Just look at the U.S. poverty line for a single individual, as an example.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

Problem is poverty is defined same as in other countries, where it's looked at from a 1000 miles up and just pegged to a dollar amount rather than accomplishing a set of necessities. Just look at the U.S. poverty line for a single individual, as an example.

Paying lip service for eliminating proverty is still much better domestic policy than paying lip service for lowering tax or whatever. If by accomplishing a set of necessities you mean providing electricity/basic medical facilities/school to all I am pretty sure the Hu admin has done them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Antonymous posted:

writing anti-china takes keeps them in china longer than pro-china takes b/c their employers will whip them out of there so fast

Having your anti china take in the back pocket seems like a good ripcord if you can't take it anymore

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol even if one disagrees with carl zha (and i mostly think he’s right here) it was extremely funny that noah just constantly got basic historical facts and timeline wrong

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sincx posted:

holy poo poo, how dare these scheming mandarins talk to poor people

https://twitter.com/goldkorn/status/1311695269055156227

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/10/04/2047136/intelligence-chief-stands-facebook-posts-calling-makabayan-reps-terrorists

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — The head of the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency on Sunday disputed allegations that he is sharing false information on social media by posting unproven allegations that opposition lawmakers are members of the communist armed movement.

NICA Director General Alex Paul Monteagudo said Sunday that he "categorically denies" the claims by Reps. Carlos Zarate (Bayan Muna party-list) and Sarah Elago (Kabataan party-list) during the agency's budget hearing on September 29 that he is spreading false information.

"The reason why I share posts in my Facebook personal account is no different from all account holders," he said. "It is because I find the post inspiring or entertaining or informative."

In October 2016, Sen. Richard Gordon scolded NICA for sending a "faulty" intelligence report to the blue ribbon committee. According to a Rappler report, NICA said China has a missile silo under the mountains of Zambales, information that came from a site on blogging platform blogspot.

"When we researched the website, this is what it contains, this specific article which was submitted to us, it's partly for satirical and entertainment purposes," Gordon said then.

Monteagudo, in his statement on Sunday, did not present any evidence for the claim except a rehash of old allegations that the Makabayan lawmakers are members of the CPP-NPA, recognized as a terrorist group in several countries.

Budget deliberations for President Rodrigo Duterte's communications office had previosuly been stalled over Undersecretary Lorraine Badoy's posts naming lawmakers as part of the CPP-NPA.

"It is no wonder that this Makabayan bloc are undermining the NTF-ELCAC by blocking the budget of the Presidential Communications Operations Office, the National Security Council and the NICA," he added.

Members of the bloc have cried foul against government officials and agencies resorting to "red-tagging," even using official social media accounts for the said efforts and exposing them to attacks and threats on the internet.

Government critics and activists have long been exposed to the said dangers, with some of them ending up murdered such as peace consultant Randall Echanis and human rights worker Zara Alvarez over the past months.

"We will not be intimidated by Congressman Zarate and the rest of the Makabayan bloc representatives from exposing their true color as proxies of the communist terrorist group," Monteagudo added.

Government officials regularly equate dissent and opposition to its policies as being in league with or as being communist rebels. In June, the UN Human Rights Office said in a report on the Philippines that this practice has become "increasingly institutionalized and normalized in ways that will be very difficult to reverse."

“People who disagree with government policies and criticize them including in international fora, should not be vilified as terrorist sympathizers,” UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet said then.

The issue of spreading fake news targeted at critics has escalated over recent days after Facebook announced that it removed networks of fake accounts and pages for "coordinated inauthentic behavior". One of the networks was based in China while the other had links to the Philippine military and police.

President Rodrigo Duterte in his weekly address last Monday threatened to block Facebook's operations in the country after the social media giant's move.

Sen. Ronald dela Rosa, Duterte's former police chief and current ally in the Senate, is also seeking a congressional inquiry on Facebook's shutting down of pro-government pages.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/culttture/status/1312447023841374208

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

we're murdering leftists, as a joke

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

sincx posted:

Other cases involve individuals who have come to the United States to gain access to “technologies that would be useful to Chinese military advancement or to the repression of their own people,” he added.

finally, the admission that american schools teach students how to kill and repress

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/wokelandlord/status/1312875160622575616?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/YasmeenSerhan/status/1312736336651202561

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Beijing also is trying to save Uyghers culture from fundamental Islam. :viggo:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i liked the constant references to sephardim in this article that was supposedly focused all around the ughyurs

thats not even like the top ten most famously genocided race even in the context of spain being the genociders

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I too believe theatlantic gives a bearded gently caress about the Uighurs in-between their op-eds telling americans how they deserve to die with no healthcare and the cops need more money

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Malkina_ posted:

I too believe theatlantic gives a bearded gently caress about the Uighurs in-between their op-eds telling americans how they deserve to die with no healthcare and the cops need more money

There's a correct way to mass murder muslims, and it involves dropping hellfire missiles from 10,000 feet.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Antonymous posted:

is there anything else in china going on at all !! there's like a billion people there and news, information, anything about it in english gets drowned out with this poo poo. i guess i could learn mandarin to read chinese internet instead but that sounds tedious

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
CCTV has programming in English?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mila kunis posted:

is there anything else in china going on at all !! there's like a billion people there and news, information, anything about it in english gets drowned out with this poo poo. i guess i could learn mandarin to read chinese internet instead but that sounds tedious

get in a gossipy wechat group and use the built in translate function (which when I've used it is insanely better than google translate)

but yeah idk, learning characters isn't practical even tho you can technically learn to read without needing to learn to speak too much? but that's insane, learning characters to be literate is a full time effort for a few years. There are english language chinese news sites if you want some more breadth

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Oct 5, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think that's a good point to be made when seeing journalists and authors write 'authoritatively' but not have any connection to China or language ability.

But suggesting you can't really learn international news without learning the language of each country in the world is silly. I'm sure that people can get a general idea of the US without needing English, it is harder for China but not impossible.

And unless you have some weird specific interest in China but somehow don't speak chinese (then yeah learn it) I think it's OK to just read the english language sites... And really gossip and social media is more important than offical media

Like if you could read english you'd be better off with twitter than a NYT subscription, better still to have a friend or two in the states who complains to you about whatever dumb newsworthy stuff is happening

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Uighurs? I thought we were moving on to these guys

https://twitter.com/justearthnews/status/1302566922978914306
https://twitter.com/Davis4Hk/status/1312155777856016384

lol

https://twitter.com/SMES_Edu_India/status/1311716957360549888

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dear CIA if you're going to steal my shitposts and turn them into policy I demand a do-nothing think tank job that pays 100k thanks

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The particularly egregious "save us Trump/the Queen/Modi" signs look like kneejerk "enemy of my enemy is my friend" signaling. Also see all the dumb "Azerbaijan/Turkey/Pakistan friends forever" posts on social media during the ongoing war. The internet has raised the public consciousness of internationalism, though it's still dumb and easily falls into dividing other countries into good guys and bad guys. I wonder if there ever will be pro-China protests with signs that say "based Duterte friend to Xi" or other kooky unlikely stanning

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

The particularly egregious "save us Trump/the Queen/Modi" signs look like kneejerk "enemy of my enemy is my friend" signaling. Also see all the dumb "Azerbaijan/Turkey/Pakistan friends forever" posts on social media during the ongoing war. The internet has raised the public consciousness of internationalism, though it's still dumb and easily falls into dividing other countries into good guys and bad guys. I wonder if there ever will be pro-China protests with signs that say "based Duterte friend to Xi" or other kooky unlikely stanning

I mean, you absolutely do get that on Tankie twitter where people support Lukashenko as the last bastion of the USSR.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am working on the hypothesis that there are barely any people in the US think tanks who can speak and read Chinese documents natively. I read three books about BRI this year, none of them was written by someone who can speak Chinese.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am working on the hypothesis that there are barely any people in the US think tanks who can speak and read Chinese documents natively. I read three books about BRI this year, none of them was written by someone who can speak Chinese.

But where would they find anyone who speaks Chinese, an extremely rare and almost forgotten language?

There's no need to know Chinese to have a lot of thoughtful insights into China, you just need to not be a dumb white supremacist, which most white people are.

One of the most insightful and interesting commentators that I've followed on the Chinese economy is Michael Pettis. He doesn't know Chinese, and that's fine.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

But where would they find anyone who speaks Chinese, an extremely rare and almost forgotten language?

There's no need to know Chinese to have a lot of thoughtful insights into China, you just need to not be a dumb white supremacist, which most white people are.

One of the most insightful and interesting commentators that I've followed on the Chinese economy is Michael Pettis. He doesn't know Chinese, and that's fine.

I bet he knows a decent amount if he's a professor at 北大 and lives in Beijing

edit: He was founder and co-owner of punk-rock nightclub D22 in Beijing, which closed in January 2012.[1] woah

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Oct 5, 2020

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Antonymous posted:

I bet he knows a decent amount if he's a professor at 北大 and lives in Beijing

edit: He was founder and co-owner of punk-rock nightclub D22 in Beijing, which closed in January 2012.[1] woah

He's pretty active in the comments section of his blog (before it became the Carnegie thing) and IIRC has mentioned a few times that he doesn't speak Chinese. Neither teaching at PKU nor living in Beijing requires any knowledge of Chinese.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

They did managed to find one Chinese speaking specimen.
https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3094442/whos-brain-behind-mike-pompeos-anti-china-stance

quote:

I read his book the Great Rebalance. Actually trying to explain and predict China with mainstream financial analysis tools is the worst kind of approach to study China IMO, because Chinese economy always follow the politic and commanded by her politic, not the other way around. I have the same criticism for Yukon Huang.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Oct 5, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Sure, it's not required to learn the language of the place you lived for a decade or to teach at their most exclusive top university. I just give the benefit of the doubt that he's probably not at 0 proficiency either in that case, at least he's better connected to China w/r/t the topic he's writing on than many writers either way

edit: and language isn't a sign of accuracy either, you can of course find fluent speakers and native speakers who will write just about any opinion you're looking to push. it's more that without it, I wonder how accurate you can be (like marking every elementary school a detention center because you can't read the location tag on Baidu). I also guess there's an abundance of talented asian writers and journalists but we hear disproportionately from westerners and not coincidentally disproportionately negative, condemning news

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 23:26 on Oct 5, 2020

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

They did managed to find one Chinese speaking specimen.
https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3094442/whos-brain-behind-mike-pompeos-anti-china-stance

I read his book the Great Rebalance. Actually trying to explain and predict China with mainstream financial analysis tools is the worst kind of approach to study China IMO, because Chinese economy always follow the politic and commanded by her politic, not the other way around. I have the same criticism for Yukon Huang.

It's more true for other countries than you think, especially the US. Remember when most of the US car and mortgage industries were state owned? "The government has certain levers with which to regulate the economy" isn't really that interesting of a comment, and I don't think that's really a valid criticism, but all I can do is point you to his writings.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Antonymous posted:

Sure, it's not required to learn the language of the place you lived for a decade or to teach at their most exclusive top university. I just give the benefit of the doubt that he's probably not at 0 proficiency either in that case, at least he's better connected to China w/r/t the topic he's writing on than many writers either way

edit: and language isn't a sign of accuracy either, you can of course find fluent speakers and native speakers who will write just about any opinion you're looking to push. it's more that without it, I wonder how accurate you can be (like marking every elementary school a detention center because you can't read the location tag on Baidu). I also guess there's an abundance of talented asian writers and journalists but we hear disproportionately from westerners and not coincidentally disproportionately negative, condemning news

I was just making a comment on Pettis since I happen to know him. But my criticism was really to the US think tank/diplomatic establishment who have not nearly enough people who can read a language fluently for a country that is projected to surpass you in what, 5 years? My criticism is really not targeting the US academia which I can think of a few China scholars who are fluent in Chinese off the top of my head. By the way when 911 happened, the entire US government only had 1 person who could speak the Afghan language the Taliban spoke.

The India government doesn't have any "China" "expert" who speak Chinese at all btw, but that's a different post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

no foreigner experts in the american government actually speak the language of the places theyre experts on the korea experts dont speak korean the iranian experts dont speak farsi and id be surprised if most of our latin american experts even speak spanish