Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Mizure was kind enough to recreate the banner from an image so I could make all those cool boss cutins using it, and she was perfectly faithful to the game’s dire warinings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh boy. Looking forward to seeing someone actually deal with the birds competently.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TeeQueue posted:

My infiltration yesterday was a resounding success! Now I should be able to accomplish the next phase of my plan: stealing the good stuff from the communal fridge! Muahahaha!!

:f5h::bisonyes:

No one will understand my nefarious purpose. My master plan will come to fruition and I will be the victor! After I finish this lovely hummus dip from the communal fridge and homemade bread? Don't mind if I do.

My excitement aside, the suppression was pretty neat! It amuses me it was actually a full on combination of all the things people had guessed would go wrong with extra blurriness thrown in to boot. And while I do think ultimately Yesod's fuckery was just with the managers view, I believe it does technically count as endangering the employees since they have to listen to the manager. But hey, crazy Sephirat aren't exactly the most stable of boxbots and it wouldn't make much of a game if it didn't gently caress with you somehow.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Warining and Peaceining.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ignore my warinings at your own parallel

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So tomorrow is day 30, and thus the last day before memory repository on day 31, which means some ridiculous challenge is about to happen.
If I’m reading the facility screen right, Tiphereth meltdown should be unlocked, which will either be Tiphereth A having a breakdown at the same time Tiphereth B does, or Tiphereth B showing off why the protocol is “destroy it and make a new one” whenever he’s not working at 100% efficiency.
All three birds are in the facility.

:f5: :f5: :f5:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Finally I can work on some suppressions of my own. And congratulations on getting the last bird.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Theantero posted:

And that's Asiyah done. The kiddy gloves will be off the next time we get to Suppression (though Hod can admittedly be legit difficult).

The next time we get to Suppression is just going to be Tiphereth. :v: What can one to two toddler tin cans do that several adult tin cans and a teen tin can could not?

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Rinoka posted:

The next time we get to Suppression is just going to be Tiphereth. :v: What can one to two toddler tin cans do that several adult tin cans and a teen tin can could not?

What does Central Command even do aside from bithching about our incompetence every second?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

MiiNiPaa posted:

What does Central Command even do aside from bithching about our incompetence every second?

Nothing that can’t be done better by other departments. Even bitching about our incompetence was done better by Yesod and Malkuth!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think Yesod has more belts than Lulu.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Rinoka posted:

two core suppressions at the same time? :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think Yesod has more belts than Lulu.

Well he has more pants, too.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do recommend any readers who haven't played before to watch the Core Suppression video, at least a little. There's something to be said for seeing the game in motion during it. I love Yesod's move because it's so hilariously trolly, yet completely justified as a boss fight challenge. It's great.

I literally never seen the 3rd bird yet (it just hasn't shown up!). So this is definitely going to be new territory for me.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Amidiri posted:

Shoeless really in this thread arguing that the literal origin story of Forsaken Murderer is cool and good

Actually I didn't say that. At all. I merely said that I think it's weird how people are doing sudden 180s on their perception of a character who until now has been portrayed in a positive light due to a single new data point. I think people are complex entities with depth, and that Lobotomy Corp has done a stellar job so far of showing that. Hod wasn't just some pure cinnamon bun who never did a bad thing, she's a person (or two people depending on how you view the continuity of consciousness between the person the sephirot were and who they are now) with a lot going on and her reasons for her actions and motives aren't simple enough to boil down to "she gud" or "she bad". So seeing a bunch of people just immediately turn on the character of Carmen because she signed off on the Forsaken Murderer's experimentation, immediately discarding anything else known about her and deciding "welp that person is now 100% irredeemably evil" comes across as very bizarre.

Morality is a very, very complex subject and reducing it to "this action bad, make person bad, no exceptions, no extenuating circumstances allowed, straight up" is unhelpful to any actual discussion. But if people would rather, I'll just shut up and leave for not towing the party line. I certainly don't need to stick around and deal with people casting aspirations about my character because I disagree with their perceptions of a character and their actions. The internet's already a dehumanizing enough place.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Man, not only is the stuff that's going on positively bananas, but the more I listen the better and more interesting the soundtrack gets. First trumpet has the alarm blasting above music that seems almost dull - it's just Punishing Bird, afterall, why worry! Second Trumpet, meanwhile, keeps the alarm going in the background but it's muffled by the frantic energy of the music - poo poo has gotten real, everyone is fighting hard, barely paying attention to the warnings pumped through the loudspeaker.

And then there's Third Trumpet. Have we had a chance to hear Third Trumpet yet in this playthrough? Holy crap now *that* is a song with a mood. And to go from the first two trumpets to *that* - that moment of the soundtrack changing from the furious and frantic second trumpet to the absolute hopeless of third trumpet...

Many games treat the OST as something of an afterthought. It's just sort of there. Some games treat the OST with respect, putting in hard work to make it work with the game. It feels like Project Moon is that rarest of groups, the third type - where the music is a core part of the game even without being part of the gameplay that is played. Nier does it. Mario does it. Not a lot of others.

Apologies if that was a bit lengthy and not the greatest for wording. I am as bad with English as I am a fond of music: extremely so.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MiiNiPaa posted:

I think they're middle management. So... that's their job.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Actually I didn't say that. At all. I merely said that I think it's weird how people are doing sudden 180s on their perception of a character who until now has been portrayed in a positive light due to a single new data point. I think people are complex entities with depth, and that Lobotomy Corp has done a stellar job so far of showing that. Hod wasn't just some pure cinnamon bun who never did a bad thing, she's a person (or two people depending on how you view the continuity of consciousness between the person the sephirot were and who they are now) with a lot going on and her reasons for her actions and motives aren't simple enough to boil down to "she gud" or "she bad". So seeing a bunch of people just immediately turn on the character of Carmen because she signed off on the Forsaken Murderer's experimentation, immediately discarding anything else known about her and deciding "welp that person is now 100% irredeemably evil" comes across as very bizarre.

Morality is a very, very complex subject and reducing it to "this action bad, make person bad, no exceptions, no extenuating circumstances allowed, straight up" is unhelpful to any actual discussion. But if people would rather, I'll just shut up and leave for not towing the party line. I certainly don't need to stick around and deal with people casting aspirations about my character because I disagree with their perceptions of a character and their actions. The internet's already a dehumanizing enough place.

It's good, it's good. Please do as much as you're inclined based on how much you can tolerate.

People, please don't devolve this to 'internet arguing'. I like this thread for doing additional digging into a game with complex writing (also for introducing me to the game in the first place but hey). Disagree with people, don't turn this into personal attacks or assertions :facepalm:.

On my run, I got Murderer early, so 'Carmen' was just another name in the readout. And by the time she came up again, I forgot about Murderer referring to Carmen. I appreciate the LP and discourse pointing it out to me, as I would not have found that again on my own. The extra context is nice.

As for Carmen, she's ambitious and righteous, but has definitely signed off on questionable activities. But... LobCorp is really really bleak. It's apparently legal and normalized for a workplace to have fatalities like this without outside intervention. That alone for me shifts the context massively on any morality assignments, really.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Consider this: what if the Murderer used to be a clerk?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

I’ll raise you one.
What if Elijah was a clerk?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I don't know poo poo about birds but I've been convinced by the bird hype. Bype.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Wouldn't they be Forbidden Clerkderer, then?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I congratulate them on their promotion

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I really enjoy how beating every boss fight so far has actually required you to pay attention to the sephirot actually want from you. Malkuth wanted you to pay attention to her methods, Yesod wanted you to know your agents and value the information you had gotten, Hod wanted you to make sure all your agents were highly trained before they were stuck in with an abnormality, and Netzach wanted you to not overwork your agents.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zurai posted:

Experimenting on unwilling sapient subjects is evil, full stop. It doesn't matter if the subjects are themselves evil. Two wrongs do not make a right.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

experimentation upon unwilling subjects never gets limited to "people who deserve it" my dude, that's why it's forbidden these days.
I think you're massively over-simplifying. If you thought you could cure cancer, all cancer, and all you had to do was take a blood sample from someone against their will for analysis, would you do it? Would your answer change if your mother was dying of cancer? If you say yes, you aren't *really* against non-consensual medical experiments, you're just arguing about where to draw the line.

Taking an absolutist approach to the right to bodily integrity is a perfectly fine moral stance, hell, I agree with it, but I think it's unreasonable to act as though only a moron or a psychopath would engage in a utilitarian calculation. I think there are a lot of people who, if their loved one was dying, would find a way to justify taking the blood. Maybe my own conviction would falter if I was faced with that choice.

Lobotomy Corporation is (so far) about a group of people who believed they were saving the world, and ended up justifying monstrous actions until they became monsters. I hope readers would get more out of it than, "What a bunch of rubes. *I* would never do anything that morally corrupt."

Rinoka posted:

They're the centermost department, so maybe they'll stop you from moving your employees between departments?

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

I absolutely love the mechanics based storytelling in project moon games, and these boss battles highlight it beautifully. The fact that it’s not just lip service but an integral part of the gameplay drives it home and really makes you viscerally take the messages to heart.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The problem is... let's say you establish the principle that experimenting on unwilling subjects is acceptable if they're death row inmates, say. Then death row inmates immediately become a massively profitable commodity for pharmaceutical companies. Which means, by the iron laws of capitalism, that they will be very heavily incentivised to create more death row inmates. And again under capitalism, they do actually have the power to do this - e.g. by lobbying for the legal system to "get tough on crime", or cutting legal aid, or by straight up bribing police chiefs and/or judges with cushy directorships. You know, like with prison labour.

Basically, it's fairly easy to come up with some sort of ticking time bomb bullshit scenario where you're experimenting on an unwilling serial rapist at no risk to them to cure cancer or whatever, and in isolation human experimentation seems obviously justified from a utilitarian perspective. But in reality you can't consider it in isolation - you have to consider the long-term repercussions of massively weakening what was previously a solid fence around the law in medical ethics. Which will probably be atrocities, at some point down the line - the Tuskegee syphilis trials only ended in 1972.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think you're massively over-simplifying. If you thought you could cure cancer, all cancer, and all you had to do was take a blood sample from someone against their will for analysis, would you do it?

Taking a blood sample is not conducting medical experiments. Conducting medical experiments are things like infecting people with syphilis or performing nerve transplantations.

In fact, I'm about 100% certain that it's legal to take blood samples without permission basically everywhere in the civilized world; that's how they determine your blood-alcohol level when you're pulled over for driving drunk but refuse the field sobriety test/breathalyzer.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

The problem is... let's say you establish the principle that experimenting on unwilling subjects is acceptable if they're death row inmates, say. Then death row inmates immediately become a massively profitable commodity for pharmaceutical companies. Which means, by the iron laws of capitalism, that they will be very heavily incentivised to create more death row inmates. And again under capitalism, they do actually have the power to do this - e.g. by lobbying for the legal system to "get tough on crime", or cutting legal aid, or by straight up bribing police chiefs and/or judges with cushy directorships. You know, like with prison labour.

Basically, it's fairly easy to come up with some sort of ticking time bomb bullshit scenario where you're experimenting on an unwilling serial rapist at no risk to them to cure cancer or whatever, and in isolation human experimentation seems obviously justified from a utilitarian perspective. But in reality you can't consider it in isolation - you have to consider the long-term repercussions of massively weakening what was previously a solid fence around the law in medical ethics. Which will probably be atrocities, at some point down the line - the Tuskegee syphilis trials only ended in 1972.
Sure, totally agree.

Now imagine yourself in the moment. Imagine explaining to the family of a sick person that you won't perform a mildly inconvenient procedure on a third party in order to save their dying relative. Imagine that it was your relative. Imagine explaining to your brother, "Yes, we think Mass Murderer Mike's blood might hold the key to unlocking cancer, but he's decided that it's a tenet of his esoteric personal religion that allowing his blood to be taken injures his chi, so I'm not going to lift a finger to save our mother as the tumor in her brain erodes everything that she was. It might, down the line, lead to something unethical." Imagine if the whole world was sick, and you thought you had found a shot at a cure.

My point is this: These are good principles. But we make them while we're sitting back and comfortable. When reality happens, and you're looking at the people who have to suffer for you to uphold your principles, it's a hell of a different thing. It's incredibly hard to stand on your principles when every incentive is to betray them, when everyone around you is begging you, "Just this once!" To privilege hypothetical future victims over what's happening in front of your eyes. I'm not defending what the made up characters in the chibi SCP game did or didn't do, I'm just saying that we should have the humility to understand why people, in the moment, betray principles that seem obvious from a remove.

Zurai posted:

Taking a blood sample is not conducting medical experiments. Conducting medical experiments are things like infecting people with syphilis or performing nerve transplantations.

In fact, I'm about 100% certain that it's legal to take blood samples without permission basically everywhere in the civilized world; that's how they determine your blood-alcohol level when you're pulled over for driving drunk but refuse the field sobriety test/breathalyzer.
Actually, taking blood absolutely is an invasive medical procedure, and if you take the blood for research purposes it's by definition a medical experiment, whether or we like that phrasing or not. It's not completely safe, either; it's just minimally risky, which isn't the same thing.

In the U.S., blood tests require a warrant, unlike a breathalyzer (or they did until recently, when the Supreme Court decided 5-4 that DUI enforcement trumps an unconscious motorist's bodily autonomy). That's only for criminal process though, enhanced by the fact that you basically lose all rights when operating a motor vehicle. There is no public interest justification for a forced blood draw, no matter how compelling.

But if the government interest in keeping drunk drivers from injuring others is sufficiently compelling as to justify sticking a metal needle into a person's body without their consent, why not two needles? Should the government be allowed to compel removing tissue for a biopsy? To force people to take a medication? I don't think the distinctions we draw are nearly as coherent as we like to imagine.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Puns!
Puuuuuns~!

I enjoyed this update.
Also, I did not remember the pixelation being that bad. I was always able to pause when meltdowns started and zoom in far enough to see them, plus I both knew where every employee was assigned and had some pretty distinctive-looking workers, so I was never confused about who was who. This seems like it would be a good bit more difficult than "Not at all" if you care less about each individual employee.

Speaking of pausing, are you not doing that in this lp? I haven't noticed X talking about time mechanics other than the rewind, and the talk about meltdowns being hard to identify's got me thinking.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Doobeedoo posted:

Speaking of pausing, are you not doing that in this lp? I haven't noticed X talking about time mechanics other than the rewind, and the talk about meltdowns being hard to identify's got me thinking.

There's been plenty of pausing in the videos, and X and Angela even had a whole conversation about how she's the only one other than X himself who can move while time is paused.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I've been assuming there's a boatload of pausing going on for LP purposes alone, if TQ was somehow taking all the screenshots while also playing everything in realtime they'd be even more of a demon at this than I thought.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Bird. Bird. Bird.

Three Birds...? Yes.

BIRD.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Under other circumstances this much hype about birb would be good, but given Lobcorp's Lobcorpness I can only assume that this is going to create birb voltron that'll form blazing sword all over the agents.

While screeching obnoxiously.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Doobeedoo posted:

eternaldough posted:

There's been plenty of pausing in the videos, and X and Angela even had a whole conversation about how she's the only one other than X himself who can move while time is paused.

King of Bleh posted:

I've been assuming there's a boatload of pausing going on for LP purposes alone, if TQ was somehow taking all the screenshots while also playing everything in realtime they'd be even more of a demon at this than I thought.

I figure I can :words: about this for a second.

Generally speaking, I don't pause for no reason. When playing normally, that means I usually only pause either when I want to give a lot of orders en masse, when I'm trying to assess a situation like a breach or ordeal appearing, or when I'm trying to stop a timer so that I can micro around and react to it. Doing the Chesed missions over the past several days had me pausing more than usual since I don't want to let the timer advance.

For the LP, I also pause when something interesting seems to be happening so I can zoom over to it and check on it, as well as when I get a shot that I want so I know where to screenshot in the video. As for how I get the screenshots, I take a video of my play session and grab screens from that. Pause and advance frame have been my bestest friends, you guys.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
How many fursonas did the cogito experiments breed before they got an abnormality better suited to energy generation

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Normally this is when we do our Abnormality Roundup for the department, but since we haven't really given any attention to them yet I'm changing things up just a little. Bonus content today, and next time we'll talk about our Abnormalities.

Welfare Team Bonus Content

Team description

mean the lives of our employees.

Clerk/Agent bonuses

This perk works a little differently, so I'll explain it here: Basically, working in Welfare gives an additional multiplier that reduces any damage that the Agent takes. At levels 1/2/3 this multiplier is 0.97x/0.94x/0.9x, and the Captain gets a 0.8x multiplier. Since this defensive multiplier stacks with everything else, Welfare Team members tend to be incredibly tanky.

Team armband

Chesed sprite

Chesed past sprite

Story background

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 4, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Is there an implication that Welfare is under water or ice in that picture, because if so that's kind of cool aesthetically.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Welfare also seems to be storage for sealed abnormalities...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do does Chesed ever give us his preferred roast and blend of coffee? Cause he looks like a coffee snob, I don't imagine him drinking instant coffee