Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I read about Donald trump giving everyone in the Republican Party COVID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Come to the Discord

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Come to the Discord

I was cleaning out my wallet the other day and found your business card from when I met you, like 7 years ago.

Also, can you PM me a discord invite?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
cum play discord m'lord

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Soothing Vapors posted:

got court appointed in federal ct to rep a new client accused (on a complaint, not indictment) of conspiracy to distribute. client's name came up exactly 3 times in the complaint, each time mentioning he was just basically sitting there playing on his phone in the passenger seat of a drug dealer's car while a drug deal happened 50 feet away.

I show up for the prelim, fully intending to waive, as the AUSA has asked me to do. but being marginally competent i talk to the ausa beforehand: "can't help but notice probable cause seems thin, can you make an offer of proof as to what you've got on her if you want to waive this prelim?"

AUSA: "I don't have to tell you anything."
Ol' Dirty Vapors: "Yeah, I'm aware of that, but you want me to waive prelim and I can't do it. if you won't tell me what you have."
AUSA: "I don't care if you waive."
ODV: "..."

anyway, long story short, I shredded the case agent on cross exam and got all the charges dismissed at the prelim, which the court clerk later told me she's never seen my judge do before in 6 years. judge looked physically pained to have to do it. gonna frame the order of dismissal

Never. Waive. Prelims.

Seriously.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Hearing Trump's doctors talk to the press is giving me some real "oh my god who picked this guy" expert depo flashbacks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

When I testified that it was seventy-two hours what I meant was forty-eight hours

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
When I tell you I knew I was sick Wednesday morning, it means I knew I was sick a day or more before that and I tried to infect my opponent on purpose.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Come to the Discord

We have a discord?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
We have a discord. It's.... Uhhh.... It's a thing alright.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

We have a discord. It's.... Uhhh.... It's a thing alright.

How do we join? Do we need DMs? New things are scary!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
First, go to law school.

Then, dm for an invite.

E: but if you don't have dms and in the current forum climate would prefer not to buy plat or whatever which is very understandable, I'm sure someone has a throwaway email they can set you up with an invite through?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How does the law of self defense interact with the law of quarantine?

If you saw a human zombie, zomvified due to a contagious fatal disease, breaking quarantine would it be legal to shoot that person?

How does that change if the disease is only potentially fatal some fraction of the time?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Is it legal to shoot unmasked Kens and Karens? Asking for a friend.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you saw a human zombie, zomvified due to a contagious fatal disease, breaking quarantine would it be legal to shoot that person?

How does that change if the disease is only potentially fatal some fraction of the time?

Sounds like a fact question to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pook Good Mook posted:

Sounds like a fact question to me.

Is there any actual case law on it?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
On human zombies? Getting high on a monday is kind of overdoing it man. You been speaking to toona?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

On human zombies? Getting high on a monday is kind of overdoing it man. You been speaking to toona?

the human zombies thing was a dramatic example. I was wondering if there was anything on like Typhoid Mary type situations.

Closest I can find so far is

quote:

Jacobson vs. Massachusetts in 1905. In that case, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of a state law requiring compulsory vaccinations against smallpox. The court declared, “Upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-04-20/government-can-restrict-your-liberty-to-protect-public-health-courts-have-made-that-clear

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah that's what all the devil's lettuceheads say.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Slow day today, so I'll take a stab.

Deadly force is authorized if defendant subjectively believed serious physical injury was imminent and his belief is objectively reasonable. This creates four elements: subjective, objective, proportionate, and reasonable.

Serious physical injury includes anything creating a substantial risk of causing death.

Theoretically, if I believe you have Corona virus and I believe you are coming to stick your tongue in my nostril, and if I believe I'm high risk, and if those beliefs are within the realm of reasonable, I can use deadly force to stop the tongue-nostril incident.

I would also need to not have created the tongue-nostril interaction. So I can't go to NM's tonguein' party and claim self defense against the tonguein' I've invited.

As a defense attorney, I would definitely argue that. As a prosecutor I would defenitly argue that is too speculative to count as "imminent."

So let's say a random person off the street advanced upon a random goon, tongue wagging and aiming for the goon's nostril. Goon is 300lbs, career smoker, and a survivor of lung cancer, so high risk. Goon, afraid for the Corona virus, whips out his katana and beheads the advancing tongue wagger. Is this self defense? No, because goon has no information upon which he based his belief of decedent having Corona virus, and thus the belief is not objectively reasonable.

Same as above, except replace random person with Kelly Ann Conway, who publically stated she has the Rona. Also replace random goon with strapping young man in perfect health. There is likely no imminent, substantrial risk of serious physical injury. So young man can use non deadly force to stop the non deadly imminent assault, but not deadly force.

Going to your example, with an actual zombie, I would argue as a defense attorney that the act of using force is not the cause of the decedent's death, that having necessarily occurred to turn the decedent into a zombie. As a prosecutor, I would argue that the zombie's status as a zombie is a disability and does not remove the zombie's protection of the law (I have quoted the statue of liberty in court for this proposition).

You also asked about the law of quarantine. "He's breaking the law" is not a valid reason to use deadly force. For instance if someone is overfishing trout you do not get to kill them in self defense. If someone is pointing a gun at you, you are not required to ask if they have a permit, because the threat of deadly force is outside of the question of "are they following the permit law." As a defense attorney, though, I would definitely highlight that the decedent was breaking the law as evidence that whatever you believed is reasonable.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I thought this was a safe space.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

First, go to law school.

Then, dm for an invite.

E: but if you don't have dms and in the current forum climate would prefer not to buy plat or whatever which is very understandable, I'm sure someone has a throwaway email they can set you up with an invite through?

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 6, 2020

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

I feel seen

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Getting high on a monday is kind of overdoing it man

gently caress you

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

gently caress you

You should be so lucky.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Could someone send to [redacted]? Appreciate it.

Invite sent!

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 6, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1313577085642842112

lol

I know they'll get out of it, but still. lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nonexistence posted:

As a lurking emissary of the legal thread, pleeease post this in the legal thread lol

quote:

For 10% of my total grade my prof - the guy who NEEDS me to mail stuff to his home -

quote:

For this assignment, you will need to complete your personal financial statements. As previously indicated, only you and I will will be able to see your work.

[...]

The 12 month budget is looking into the future. It is a spending plan projection of what you hope will happen. Obviously, the future is uncertain, but it should none the less serve as a guide to your spending behavior. It should list your various sources of income - including loans, scholarships and gifts and then your various expenses (the expenses are likely the same as those listed on the income statement)

For these statements, I will be looking for internal consistency - that means that they are related and something that is one statement should probably be reflected in another. For example, if you list automobile payments - and insurance and maintenance costs in your budget, there should be an automobile listed in your balance sheet as an asset. Also, if you are a college student, there should be related costs (tuition, books etc.) in your budget. If you are getting scholarship money or a gift from your parents to pay your bills, that should be shown on the Cash Flow Statement as a source of revenue (income) with the related expenses in the budget.

I understand that some of you who are married or in a relationship, may be hesitant to share the information with me. Or, you may be embarrassed by your financial condition (which is perhaps why you are taking this class) I can assure you that the information will remain confidential. You must present information that is as accurate as possible. If you have a spouse that is unwilling to have the information shared, please let me know and we can discuss an accommodation.

If you are unwilling to use your exact dollar figures, you may alter them in a fashion of your choosing know only to you.. So for example you may multiple all figures by 3 or divide them by .6 or whatever factor you choose. BUT I would need to know the figures have been modified. I do not need to know the modification factor, just that they were modified.

The real importance of this assignment is to have you understand your financial condition and to have a spending plan. Real progress and the attainment of your goals can only be accomplished by knowing where you are (financially) and where you want to go (your goals) The statements are a tool that will help you live within your means and to attain your goals. When I grade these statements, I am not looking at the absolute amounts (so if someone has assets of $ 50, 000 and another assets of $ 500, ) there may no difference in the grade. I am looking for the presentation of the information not so much the amounts. Obviously a married student that owns a home and has children will have a more elaborate statement than a 19 yr. old college student living at home with their parents. But they can both get a grade of A on the assignment if the information is presented well. They will be submitted on-line with a paper copy sent to my office This submission will be private, that is whatever you provide can only be viewed by me and the information will not be shared with anyone.

Keep a copy of your statements in the unlikely event I do not receive your statements electronically or in the mail. You must send me a paper copy by the due date listed in the course schedule Please remember to put you name on all the statements you send to me

[...]

Under " income"

Earnings, scholarships, gifts (for example if parents are paying some of your expenses including college expenses), employer educational benefit, unemployment, Social Security Payments, Social Services Contributions, veterans benefits, income tax refund etc

Under expenses

Income taxes, mortgage or rent, homeowner's or renter's insurance, cable/dish, water, utilities, cellphone, groceries, restaurant, clothing, car payment, car insurance, gasoline, auto maintenance, vacation, entertainment, dental insurance, health insurance, life insurance, retirement contributions, union dues, student loans gift giving (birthdays, christmas, wedding etc) daycare, pet care, home/apartment maintenance, educational expenses, savings, club memberships, dues, wedding expenses etc

Under assets

Monetary assets (checking, savings, cash)

Investment assets, (bonds, 401K's, mutual funds, collectibles, real estate etc)

Personal property (clothing, furniture, washer dryer, tools, electronics, hobby related (stamping, golf, tennis, roller skating etc), college text books, Jewlery, household items etc) Identify the broad categories of personal property - if you just provide a single amount you will not receive full credit

Automobiles, snow mobiles, 4 wheeler's, boats etc

House or other real estate

Cash Value of Life Insurance (not face value)

Identify the process you used to value your various assets

Under liabilities

short term - rent payment or mortgage, utility bill, cell/cable, credit card due, current auto loan payment, current school loan or revolving loan payment etc

long term - balance of mortgage, balance of auto loan, balance of school loan or installment credit, credit card etc

ALSO Provide a brief personal profile - your age , if you are a full time student, If parents or an employer is helping cover your education costs, married/single, if you have children, your employment status, if you live with parents, have an apartment, own a house and so on. This brief statement adds a great deal of meaning to your financial statements.

:psyduck:

quote:

The full assignment if you want to look completely into the heart of darkness:

Hi I'm Strix and I'm trying to take this Personal Finance class at my local community college online so I can get my AA and be done with schooling this december. But no, this can't be a normal class!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hi I'm Strix and I'm trying to take this Personal Finance class at my local community college online so I can get my AA and be done with schooling this december. But no, this can't be a normal class!

Lol usually you get a free email account or social media or something for giving all that info away

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

StrixNebulosa posted:

Disturbing request, but I'd have to know your mother's maiden name and the first pet you owned to be sure.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Oh it is posted here too.

Ahem.

lol what the absolute gently caress

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Holy poo poo there is a new thread.

There has been a new thread for two years?

Losing internet cred.

Still lawyering in the same lower mainland crim office since 2011.

Mar-July was poo poo but since early August I have been making v good billing months as I guess work piled up.

:coronatoot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What the hell is the "lower mainland?"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

What the hell is the "lower mainland?"

His butt

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eminent Domain posted:

Oh it is posted here too.

Ahem.

lol what the absolute gently caress

My fiancee the econ major literally shrugged and said that was normal. Said jurists overproblematicise. I said what the gently caress are you talking about, everything is a problem!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

My fiancee the econ major literally shrugged and said that was normal. Said jurists overproblematicise. I said what the gently caress are you talking about, everything is a problem!

Yeah, I guess I'm not woke enough but you're taking a class on how to do your personal finances, seems like doing your personal finances would be a component of that class??

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Now, if this was English Lit 1301

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
How is it not simpler and less controversial to make 5-6 templates for the students to choose between and do their personal finance assignment on?

what possible good could come of having a person with authority over your graduation be able to demand a detailed listing of all your finances?

My father has taken an economy education and in spite of that, the only time he has ever had to disclose all of his finances to this level of detail was when he was in the army and they had to go through it before he could get a security clearance.
Not even when he had to apply for loans in the bank was he forced to expose his own and his wife's personal finances.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

SerthVarnee posted:

How is it not simpler and less controversial to make 5-6 templates for the students to choose between and do their personal finance assignment on?

what possible good could come of having a person with authority over your graduation be able to demand a detailed listing of all your finances?

My father has taken an economy education and in spite of that, the only time he has ever had to disclose all of his finances to this level of detail was when he was in the army and they had to go through it before he could get a security clearance.
Not even when he had to apply for loans in the bank was he forced to expose his own and his wife's personal finances.

I just got a mortgage and they didn't ask for half as much poo poo as that boomer prof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm not woke enough but you're taking a class on how to do your personal finances, seems like doing your personal finances would be a component of that class??

Just go back to taking nude photographs of all incoming freshmen for science like they used to do at Yale, this is America you can trust institutions