Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Wibla posted:

Welcome to the dark side, we have superchargers

Praise Elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Huh, guess they made good on their commitment to compete with Tesla on quality after all. :angel:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
So the VW dealer decided the best thing to do was email everyone who make an id.4 reservation with everyone on the to line. On one hand I know how many people ordered with that dealer selected, and on the other people can never resist replying all

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Email was a mistake.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Reply all with goatse

don't actually do this :gonk:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Westy543 posted:

Reply all with goatse

don't actually do this :gonk:

Do it but from a burner email, duh

Even better if you make the email look like someone else’s name from the list

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Wibla posted:

Welcome to the dark side, we have superchargers

Notwithstanding anything else, the actual order process for Tesla is fantastic. We went to a test drive in Paramus, came back, and picked our car out of inventory and had it ordered in less than an hour, including the time it took to go through the credit checks and update insurance. No janking around with getting GEICO to fax an insurance binder over, having to get a certified check, any of that crap. The "normal" car buying process feels like knuckle-dragging troglodytery.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Spark EV weird sound update!!

As suggested here, it was the aero panels after all. I pressed around them and didn't feel anything loose, but when I finally got on the ground and looked around I noticed a gap on one side where the bumper cover connects to the rear aero panel.

The clips connect at the blue circled areas, and the clips in yellow had bent and weren't sitting right. It was loose, and the noise was it moving around, slapping the other panel.

Removed the panel, bent the clips back, put it all back together (no leftover parts!), and no more sound! Aside from installing the backup camera and replacing the cabin air filter, this is the first time I've fixed my own car. :toot:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

chutwig posted:

Notwithstanding anything else, the actual order process for Tesla is fantastic. We went to a test drive in Paramus, came back, and picked our car out of inventory and had it ordered in less than an hour, including the time it took to go through the credit checks and update insurance. No janking around with getting GEICO to fax an insurance binder over, having to get a certified check, any of that crap. The "normal" car buying process feels like knuckle-dragging troglodytery.
Our experience was not nearly as smooth with Tesla (also in NJ). Yes ordering a non-inventory model was quick but the rest of the process involved lots of failures to communicate and weirdness capped off by a delivered car that went straight to a body shop for repair before delivery.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

RZA Encryption posted:

Spark EV weird sound update!!

As suggested here, it was the aero panels after all. I pressed around them and didn't feel anything loose, but when I finally got on the ground and looked around I noticed a gap on one side where the bumper cover connects to the rear aero panel.

The clips connect at the blue circled areas, and the clips in yellow had bent and weren't sitting right. It was loose, and the noise was it moving around, slapping the other panel.

Removed the panel, bent the clips back, put it all back together (no leftover parts!), and no more sound! Aside from installing the backup camera and replacing the cabin air filter, this is the first time I've fixed my own car. :toot:

Yay!

Yuns posted:

Our experience was not nearly as smooth with Tesla (also in NJ). Yes ordering a non-inventory model was quick but the rest of the process involved lots of failures to communicate and weirdness capped off by a delivered car that went straight to a body shop for repair before delivery.

I've noticed Subaru now calls them retailers instead of dealers. Are they trying to copy Tesla?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Charles posted:

I've noticed Subaru now calls them retailers instead of dealers. Are they trying to copy Tesla?

I feel like this has been a thing for years now, trying to replace the words “dealer” or “dealership”. I don’t know if it’s a nationwide thing but at least around here Ford ads always call it the “Ford store” which sounds very strange. “dealership” might as well be a 4-letter word, so I’m not surprised any company would want to get away from it in their ad copy.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a quick fast charging question. The premium plans for both Electrify America and EV Go. EV Go has an $8/mo plan, and from what I can gather, it includes an $8 charging credit. So theoretically I can activate the plan when on a trip requiring it, and essentially have a "free" discounted charging price right? Am I reading that correctly? And EA has a $4/mo sub but it does not include a credit, so I'm paying $4 to have the lower prices?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yes, that's right. The EVGo sub fee becomes account credit. Some months we don't even dip past that $8. Afaict the EA subscription doesn't give you credit.

chutwig posted:

I feel like this has been a thing for years now, trying to replace the words “dealer” or “dealership”. I don’t know if it’s a nationwide thing but at least around here Ford ads always call it the “Ford store” which sounds very strange. “dealership” might as well be a 4-letter word, so I’m not surprised any company would want to get away from it in their ad copy.

Honestly if I hear "the Ford store," my lizard brain tells me I can go pick up a Ford there without having to haggle or negotiate, even if that isn't actually the case.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Westy543 posted:

Yes, that's right. The EVGo sub fee becomes account credit. Some months we don't even dip past that $8. Afaict the EA subscription doesn't give you credit.

Thanks! Just theorycrafting some small road trips for next summer if it's safer to do so

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

chutwig posted:

It's possible it has been happening for a while -- I haven't been looking until recently. They are trying to do online sales though due to covid.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EVs are a very sensible choice in sports events, no fumes, no noise. Here, an e-NV200 timing van in the London marathon:

The bikes should be electric too. I guess two up on a Zero is probably not very comfy. But you only need 42.195 km of range at 18-20 kph.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

The bikes should be electric too.

I just assumed they weren't, but isn't that a BMW C Evolution?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ola posted:

EVs are a very sensible choice in sports events, no fumes, no noise. Here, an e-NV200 timing van in the London marathon:

The bikes should be electric too. I guess two up on a Zero is probably not very comfy. But you only need 42.195 km of range at 18-20 kph.

Extra weight if you’re two-up, but it should be doable still, right? Fortunately most marathon routes are fairly flat as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

harperdc posted:

Extra weight if you’re two-up, but it should be doable still, right? Fortunately most marathon routes are fairly flat as well.

Very doable for any electric moped or motorcycle. Looking at the race now, I'm sure it's a C Evolution. Couldn't hear any engines noises either. The base model has a 60 mile range, the upgraded has 100. So 2 up with heavy camera gear is still no problem.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

When I did a trail race last year the local TV station had a guy on the back of a 2-stroke trail bike taking video. It was ahead of me filming for a few minutes chucking out smoke and fumes, really not nice. Electric bikes would be perfect.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ola posted:

This goes back to the Munich Olympics (1972) where BMW had electric 1600’s for the marathon.

As a corollary I raced USCF cycling in the late 1970’s and I can affirm that a 1975 Peugeot Diesel is NOT an ideal pace car.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Thanks to whom ever suggested a Sea Sucker bike rack for my Kia Niro EV. It worked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Woah that's rad. Also nice truck there.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Charles posted:

Woah that's rad. Also nice truck there.

Policeman who lives across the street. A cool guy who was a motorcycle officer for a while (BMW).

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
I just want to complain and say that the audi software is the worst garbage in the world. e-tron started charging yesterday during the day (despite being configured to only charge from 11pm to 5am) which coincided with super spike electricity rates so I would up charging while electricity was $1/kwh. Also 9 times out of 10 the stupid app throws a 500 ISE.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shamino posted:

I just want to complain and say that the audi software is the worst garbage in the world. e-tron started charging yesterday during the day (despite being configured to only charge from 11pm to 5am) which coincided with super spike electricity rates so I would up charging while electricity was $1/kwh. Also 9 times out of 10 the stupid app throws a 500 ISE.

Sounds like peak Audi.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

$1/kWh is nuts, that's like $80 to fully charge an E-Tron at that rate.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I know the VW ID is selling very well, but I'm kind of surprised anyone thought VW/Audi adding more electronics to their cars would be a good idea.

I just listened to a very interesting podcast about lithium, but it's pretty dense so I'm going to have to listen again to fully absorb it. It's a TSLAQ podcast but very little touches upon Musk/Tesla so even the bazingas here should be able to listen to it. Particularly worth listening to is the part around 15 mins where he talks about lithium not being a commodity and 99.5% pure lithium from different mines not being interchangeable for batteries as it's what's in the 0.5% that matters more than how pure the lithium is. The guest also predicts a rise in lithium prices by 2022, which if true is going to make all those graphs showing the steady decline in price per kWh inaccurate in not too long. Sorry the podcast always starts off with a poem, not a huge fan of that.
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/758369/5731507-episode-46-joe-lowry

The guest also has his own podcast that gets even more detailed, so if you REALLY want to know more about lithium he has a large number of episodes available (I haven't check it out yet):
https://www.globallithium.net/podcast

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Tesla solar panel update: they finally did permitting and the install is scheduled for later this month.

I'll let everyone know when my roof catches on fire.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21502379/tesla-modely-roof-flies-off-convertible-quality-issue

How in the world is the response to fix the car rather to give them a brand new car?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

lostleaf posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21502379/tesla-modely-roof-flies-off-convertible-quality-issue

How in the world is the response to fix the car rather to give them a brand new car?

If the QC is bad enough that these kinds of defects are happening, I think getting a brand new car is the worse of the two options

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

They didn't start their tweet to Elon with "Love the car but..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's just bonded in there, all you have to do is glue it back in. How is "give them a new car" the correct response?

edit: obviously an unacceptable failure of QC etc but "you get a new car" is not a normal response to a fairly easily correctable manufacturing defect from any OEM

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's just bonded in there, all you have to do is glue it back in. How is "give them a new car" the correct response?

edit: obviously an unacceptable failure of QC etc but "you get a new car" is not a normal response to a fairly easily correctable manufacturing defect from any OEM

My concern is that a major defect slipped past the QC. I would be left wondering how many minor defects are not noticeable until the end of the 7 day return period.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I know the VW ID is selling very well, but I'm kind of surprised anyone thought VW/Audi adding more electronics to their cars would be a good idea.

I just listened to a very interesting podcast about lithium, but it's pretty dense so I'm going to have to listen again to fully absorb it. It's a TSLAQ podcast but very little touches upon Musk/Tesla so even the bazingas here should be able to listen to it. Particularly worth listening to is the part around 15 mins where he talks about lithium not being a commodity and 99.5% pure lithium from different mines not being interchangeable for batteries as it's what's in the 0.5% that matters more than how pure the lithium is. The guest also predicts a rise in lithium prices by 2022, which if true is going to make all those graphs showing the steady decline in price per kWh inaccurate in not too long. Sorry the podcast always starts off with a poem, not a huge fan of that.
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/758369/5731507-episode-46-joe-lowry

The guest also has his own podcast that gets even more detailed, so if you REALLY want to know more about lithium he has a large number of episodes available (I haven't check it out yet):
https://www.globallithium.net/podcast

How much of a battery’s cost is lithium?

A 50% increase in lithium prices would for instance increase the battery pack price of a nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) 811 battery by less than 4%. Similarly, a doubling of cobalt prices would result in a 3% increase in the overall pack price.

https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-take-lithium-ion-battery-prices/

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

$1/kWh is nuts, that's like $80 to fully charge an E-Tron at that rate.

We pay wholesale rate through Griddy. So most of the time were only paying 1-2c/kwh and when there are spikes we just turn off the a/c, lights, etc. ERCOT updates pricing every 5 mins and most spikes don't last more than half an hour. .IMO it's a pretty good system as long as all your IOT devices are willing to play along.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Got it. Sounds like it’s worth buying an EVSE capable of taking advantage of the 5-min plan you have!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

How much of a battery’s cost is lithium?

A 50% increase in lithium prices would for instance increase the battery pack price of a nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) 811 battery by less than 4%. Similarly, a doubling of cobalt prices would result in a 3% increase in the overall pack price.

https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-take-lithium-ion-battery-prices/

Good point, I forgot that while the DOE says that materials are ~40% of the cost of a lithium ion battery, it's not the lithium that really adds up.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Looks like official epa range is in for the Polestar 2, at 233 miles. That's a good bit short of the targeted 275. They're using a 78 kWh battery with 75 usable, which I think is the same as the model 3 which is rated at 322? That's really unfortunate, I hope it doesn't hurt their sales too much. (I bring up the Model 3, because Volvo said it was intended as a direct competitor)

Source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Westy543 posted:

Looks like official epa range is in for the Polestar 2, at 233 miles. That's a good bit short of the targeted 275. They're using a 78 kWh battery with 75 usable, which I think is the same as the model 3 which is rated at 322? That's really unfortunate, I hope it doesn't hurt their sales too much. (I bring up the Model 3, because Volvo said it was intended as a direct competitor)

Source.

It's definitely more thirsty than the Model 3. Bjørn Nyland got 189 mi range at 75 mph, vs 243 for the Model 3. 270 vs 324 for 90 kph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S53F2CtjPFg

(Numbers at 15:10 and 21:45)