Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Cord you bought from Amazon, or an Amazon cord? Some Amazon basic products have been letting the magic smoke out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/business/amazonbasics-electronics-fire-safety-invs/index.html

i flat out don't buy amazon basics anything anymore, except perhaps for the occasional t-shirt or something. we got a space heater from them once and then an enforced refund with an email that said to stop using it, cut off the cord, and throw it away because they just randomly catch fire. then this recent hullabaloo about cables, and, well, it's clear that they are not at all to be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been exclusively using Anker cables and battery banks for several years without issue. They don't seem to ever wear out and quality seems to be better than OEM, as well as within a dollar of most other brands

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I've been exclusively using Anker cables and battery banks for several years without issue. They don't seem to ever wear out and quality seems to be better than OEM, as well as within a dollar of most other brands

I’d bet the insides are not actually better quality than official apple cables, but whatever coating they put on the outside probably is. I do like their battery banks, the cables have been slightly less awesome but I definitely still recommend them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't done a formal comparison, but my guess is that the "Powerline+ II" cables are in fact better quality than OEM lightning cables, Anker lists the wire gauges (what you're referencing, I think) as well as the tension strength and bend lifespan.

The Powerline+ II cables aren't as sexy and lithe as an apple lightning cable, but they don't seem to wear out after a year, either

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Anker cables have great strain relief compared to the apple ones, it is all I get now if I need replacements for whatever. Now I am moving to usb-c too so it’s nice not being locked in to the lightning stuff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I haven't done a formal comparison, but my guess is that the "Powerline+ II" cables are in fact better quality than OEM lightning cables, Anker lists the wire gauges (what you're referencing, I think) as well as the tension strength and bend lifespan.

The Powerline+ II cables aren't as sexy and lithe as an apple lightning cable, but they don't seem to wear out after a year, either

I haven't seen those, so I'll check them out. I could give two shits as to how sexy my fuckin usb cables are.

(but i admit i'm a sucker for those braided things)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't consider any cables "sexy" because I'm not a computer-fucker.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't consider any cables "sexy" because I'm not a computer-fucker.

tbh it's one of my biggest pet peeves when reviewers "review" items. like. no.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Lightning-Powerline-Certified-Supports/dp/B086KVCTFM/

Only cable you need, lifetime warranty too!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Has anyone ever plugged their macbooks in with the two-pronged cable? It makes the case kind of awful to touch in many instances, heh.

I definitely expect the next mini to basically be the tiny air. My so is extremely looking forward to getting one, hopefully with that nice new design.
Talking about the uh, electric buzz you can feel through the chassis? Basically a grounding issue, if you use the grounded plug (3 prong in US at least) it should get rid of that.
Can't wait for third parties to send in knockoffs that Amazon commingles in their warehouse :suicide:. Anker has their own online store but I've wondered if they're just using Amazon for fulfillment there too.

But anyway, it seems like all their Powerline III cables have lifetime warranties so you can save $80 unless you really want gold :retrogames:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

Talking about the uh, electric buzz you can feel through the chassis? Basically a grounding issue, if you use the grounded plug (3 prong in US at least) it should get rid of that.

Oh I know, that’s why I specifically said the two-pronger. Threw me for a loop the first time it happened, haha

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Oh I know, that’s why I specifically said the two-pronger. Threw me for a loop the first time it happened, haha
Oh duh. Can you feel it on iPads too? I've used cases so long I don't remember.

Anyway iPadOS 14.0.1 is out:

quote:

This update includes bug fixes for your iPad.

Fixes an issue that could cause default browser and mail settings to reset after restarting your iPad

Fixes an issue that could prevent your iPad from connecting to Wi-Fi networks

Resolves an issue that could prevent sending email with some mail providers

Addresses an issue that could prevent images from appearing in the News widget
And Amazon announced some game streaming service that'll work on iOS through Safari. Apparently they worked with the Safari team, I'd guess something with buffering/latency for video streams. For input their controller is wifi/online connected to the service rather than to the device. For Xbox Game Pass I guess they're stuck with the App Store BS unless/until Safari gets gamepad support.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

Oh duh. Can you feel it on iPads too? I've used cases so long I don't remember.

Anyway iPadOS 14.0.1 is out:

And Amazon announced some game streaming service that'll work on iOS through Safari. Apparently they worked with the Safari team, I'd guess something with buffering/latency for video streams. For input their controller is wifi/online connected to the service rather than to the device. For Xbox Game Pass I guess they're stuck with the App Store BS unless/until Safari gets gamepad support.

Nah all the iPads are designed for two prongs from the get-go I think

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
apple being incredibly antagonistic towards people trying to launch game streaming services on their storefront, and then having the safari team work directly with amazon so they can avoid the store entirely, is some real loving galaxy brain poo poo

can't help but notice that they have not helped stadia with a similar conundrum

japtor posted:

For input their controller is wifi/online connected to the service rather than to the device. For Xbox Game Pass I guess they're stuck with the App Store BS unless/until Safari gets gamepad support.

ios safari supports the html5 gamepad api but i have no idea if it's actually usable. this is, uh, also something the safari team could help with, were they so inclined

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

apple being incredibly antagonistic towards people trying to launch game streaming services on their storefront, and then having the safari team work directly with amazon so they can avoid the store entirely, is some real loving galaxy brain poo poo

ios safari supports the html5 gamepad api but i have no idea if it's actually usable. this is, uh, also something the safari team could help with, were they so inclined

I thought the same thing and super don’t get it

Edit: I guess that’s not true, they said they don’t want shadow oses on their platform or whatever but ffs

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

Did google offer to rewrite their native app to be pure HTML5? Did amazon offer to use the html5 gamepad API?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Did google offer to rewrite their native app to be pure HTML5? Did amazon offer to use the html5 gamepad API?

Supposedly they worked with the Safari team to get it working correctly.

They being Amazon.

Google could have probably done the same but lol they wouldn’t bother. MS could though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

They being Amazon.

Google could have probably done the same but lol they wouldn’t bother. MS could though.

That basically was my point the post I quoted placed the blame at Apple for both not supporting the Gamepad and not helping Google without any indication that Google or Amazon (For the gamepad) asked for it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
The amazon and google controllers don’t even connect to your device - they connect directly to the internet over wifi.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

Oh neat, I don't think I saw anything when I looked for iOS Safari gamepad support so I wasn't sure.

MarcusSA posted:

They being Amazon.

Yeah it's easy to see Google not bothering. It took five goddamn years for the Gmail app to get multitasking, I can't see them putting much effort into another service they'll probably just kill off.

...not sure about excuses for MS though, other than just being on Epic's side of that whole App Store mess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
So uh, Stadia works with this: https://9to5google.com/2020/09/28/google-stadia-ios-browser/

From the article and comments it seems like it just needs a user agent switch cause they're blocking Safari's, which they're probably doing because pre iOS 14 Safari had too many issues w/WebRTC.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hughlander posted:

That basically was my point the post I quoted placed the blame at Apple for both not supporting the Gamepad and not helping Google without any indication that Google or Amazon (For the gamepad) asked for it.

There isn’t anything to support though?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

japtor posted:

So uh, Stadia works with this: https://9to5google.com/2020/09/28/google-stadia-ios-browser/

From the article and comments it seems like it just needs a user agent switch cause they're blocking Safari's, which they're probably doing because pre iOS 14 Safari had too many issues w/WebRTC.

While that’s cool there isn’t much reason why Stadia needed an app in the first place. They should just make it usable from the browser.... they definitely don’t want to do that or they’d let you run Stadia in a non chrome browser.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

While that’s cool there isn’t much reason why Stadia needed an app in the first place. They should just make it usable from the browser.... they definitely don’t want to do that or they’d let you run Stadia in a non chrome browser.

Yeah, Google does all kinds of fuckery to make sure you use their demographic scrapers apps and browser. Regardless of how much shittier the experience is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

With the new update the app store is asking me to log in, however it said I had the wrong password, and then it didn't recognise my pass code.

Now it keeps telling me to enter my phone number, receive a code, enter the code and then do it all over again.

Once I've entered my number and the code twice is then tells me that Apple ID Verification Failed.

Any ideas?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

With the new update the app store is asking me to log in, however it said I had the wrong password, and then it didn't recognise my pass code.

Now it keeps telling me to enter my phone number, receive a code, enter the code and then do it all over again.

Once I've entered my number and the code twice is then tells me that Apple ID Verification Failed.

Any ideas?

PriorMarcus posted:

Any ideas?

I would do a password change on your phone and sign out all devices. Login again on the iPad. Assuming you have an iPhone. The app store account isn't different is it? Sometimes people have a different apple id signed into iCloud that's not the app store id

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is 1Blocker still the best adblocker on iOS? It seems to be getting worse and worse all the time on my iPhone, and I got an iPad today and it doesn’t seem to work at all on it.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Is 1Blocker still the best adblocker on iOS? It seems to be getting worse and worse all the time on my iPhone, and I got an iPad today and it doesn’t seem to work at all on it.

I’ve been pretty pleased with Wipr, though i have not been away from some sort of DNS anti ad stuff for a while during the whole 2020 stay-at-home thing too much it was always reliable... uses 3 slots for the content blockers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anything block youtube ads? I have one on firefox on windows that works great but no luck getting one on iOS.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
If they are “pre roll” or video ones it seems like they are unavoidable, even with multiple layers of blocking. There’s shortcuts and shell scripts you can use but that’s getting a bit intense vs a 5-10s ad then Skip button...

Though if i am using YouTube to watch anything over a few seconds long I’ll use that YouTube-dl script and watch it at my own pace with PIP and all that / offline too using VLC.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I use 1blocker and it's been working for fine. Wipr is good too if you just want set it and forget.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to bring up media controls for embedded videos on the forums on an iPad? They’re always muted and I cant think of any way to change that without handoff-ing the page to my macbook.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

stirlo posted:

If they are “pre roll” or video ones it seems like they are unavoidable, even with multiple layers of blocking.

Isn't it possible to block them by just using Youtube in a browser (Safari) on iOS/ipadOS? It works with ublock origin in any browser on PC/Mac and even with Android.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

Isn't it possible to block them by just using Youtube in a browser (Safari) on iOS/ipadOS? It works with ublock origin in any browser on PC/Mac and even with Android.
Yeah they were referring to Safari blockers so that's presumably what they were talking about.

I've been using AdGuard for a while now and it...kind of works. There was some recent change in YouTube I think, the ads themselves technically seem to be getting blocked, but I have a blank frame with the Skip button and little progress wheel (showing time before it automatically progresses). I think they've all been immediately skippable so it's not too bad.

edit: actually I have their DNS level blocker too so not sure how much part that's playing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh we subbed to youtube explicitly so that the creator channels we watch, which is most of the youtubing we do, get paid. not having to bother with any ad blocking has been great, ha

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

stirlo posted:

If they are “pre roll” or video ones it seems like they are unavoidable, even with multiple layers of blocking. There’s shortcuts and shell scripts you can use but that’s getting a bit intense vs a 5-10s ad then Skip button...

Though if i am using YouTube to watch anything over a few seconds long I’ll use that YouTube-dl script and watch it at my own pace with PIP and all that / offline too using VLC.

Which script is that?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
It seems to be per video ; If the video was published with Monetise or Full Ad it will generally try to show the ad before playing anything, otherwise it seems to be pretty random or i dont see many... I’m not a large YouTube user either way but the ads are definitely on the more money-making things.

YouTube-dl is a basic multi platform app or script, theres iOS/iPadOS scripts but the github hosted version which runs on macOS or Linux and others seems to be the most reliable way to get anything off YouTube.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way I can get rid of an activation lock off an old ipad 4 running ios 10? It was from my mums old school and they never asked for it back but it's signed in as some random gmail address. Googling just brings up a load fake search results, I'm assuming it's impossible and it might as well just get tossed at an e-waste place or something instead.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

track day bro! posted:

Is there any way I can get rid of an activation lock off an old ipad 4 running ios 10? It was from my mums old school and they never asked for it back but it's signed in as some random gmail address. Googling just brings up a load fake search results, I'm assuming it's impossible and it might as well just get tossed at an e-waste place or something instead.

Apple can do it if you produce a purchase receipt. Otherwise, it's spare parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Apple can do it if you produce a purchase receipt. Otherwise, it's spare parts.

I just told her to toss it over the school gates, WEEE waste it is then