Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MunchE posted:

I'm in the same boat. You can get aftermarket stuff that supports the reverse camera and steering wheel controls. The dealbreaker for me is you have to buy a new trim piece to fit the new unit, and it looks like poo poo cheap plastic and it's $200. But if you look on crutchfield you can search by devices that do Android Auto/Carplay, have reverse camera inputs etc. it looks like the only stuff that doesn't work is the native bluetooth with Sync vs. using it on the head unit so who cares.

This thing is nasty looking though: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120995843B/Metra-99-5843B-Dash-and-Wiring-Kit-Matte-black.html

Paint it/vinyl wrap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To be fair tho that kit actually matches the lovely Ford interior pretty well.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

The Maestro FOC1 kit is nice looking. I had it in my focus. I'm in Orlando and have one I need to get rid of it anyone is interested

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Skipopatomus posted:

The Maestro FOC1 kit is nice looking. I had it in my focus. I'm in Orlando and have one I need to get rid of it anyone is interested

I definitely would love one. How much we talking?

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

I had it listed on Facebook for $230 because everybody always feels the need to low ball whatever price you list but if you're serious $180

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Skipopatomus posted:

I had it listed on Facebook for $230 because everybody always feels the need to low ball whatever price you list but if you're serious $180

You don’t have PM’s so please email me at kalleerik.vahakyla AT gmail dot com

So I can make sure what you have is what I need and I’ll gladly grab it!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I have a quick question: I just put ECS' dogbone mount and polyurethane insert on my 2016 GTI and I'm getting noticeable noise and vibration when launching and at various speeds. Is the claim that the dogbone stiffening doesn't add NVH just sort of BS? Should I be worried?

Everything went in fine, is aligned, and is torqued(+) with new bolts.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I should probably include some info here, the vibration makes the car buzz a little when launching of course in first, and there's some perceptible vibration when I lean on the throttle a little , though once at speed it seems mostly normal. Much more pronounced at launch.

Edit 2:
VVVV Oops, manual.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 26, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i dont see how it wouldnt add some NVH...is your car a manual or DSG?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah, makes sense, and it's a manual. Also the kit with just the dogbone has three bolts, and the insert set has (the same) three bolts. The kit with both has five bolts (of which you need 3). So I can remove the whole thing and try the dogbone without the insert but not without ordering one additional bolt. Dammit.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
In the FiST scene, many talk about a break-in period with rear motor mounts, after which NVH settles down. It’s possible you will experience the same here.

For my FiST I deliberately chose a more conservative option which basically didn’t change behaviour from day one but added so little NVH it didn’t matter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My MS3 dogbone mount introduced quite a lot of vibrations. I’m pretty sure the breaking in period is a total myth too, because that was the line back then. I think you just get more accustomed to it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

reminds me i need to actually try out launch control on my mk7 R. :toot:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 26, 2020

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I feel better now, thanks all. It also exhibits a little vibration when the engine shakes with the car out of gear so this vibration was already there and imperceptible to me. I need a catch can and to walnut husk blast my valves probably. I guess it seemed worse as it's especially loud and noticeable on launch, and makes the change in the cupholder buzz and stuff. Still sort of non-plussed that they include enough bolts for two installs except that one bolt.

Also, lol, I weighed both and the billet one is heavier than stock stamped sheet steel. I guess this doesn't speak to it's effectiveness, but I did kind of assume it would be lighter even though it's bigger too.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 26, 2020

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Got my Work Emotions on the Type R today, finally

18x9.5 + 38 Work Emotion Kiwami's in Bronze
265/35/18 Nitto 555G2 Tyres
Spoon Sports wheel nuts for the mild flex - https://i.imgur.com/rXHmOyA.png

I need to get some Centre Caps, I was considering leaving them without it but I'm not a huge fan after seeing them in person. Will probably get the Black centre caps

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Oddhair posted:

I have a quick question: I just put ECS' dogbone mount and polyurethane insert on my 2016 GTI and I'm getting noticeable noise and vibration when launching and at various speeds. Is the claim that the dogbone stiffening doesn't add NVH just sort of BS? Should I be worried?

Everything went in fine, is aligned, and is torqued(+) with new bolts.

A friend of mine did the insert on his '09 GTI and it smoothed out after a few weeks for the most part. Reverse definitely carried a lot of vibration through as long as he had the car, but neutral and Drive were smooth enough after it wore in.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I got a rear motor mount for my Fiesta, from CP-E

It vibrates a lot at low RPMs, when I eventually get a tune I'm going to see if I can increase the idle speed. It wouldn't be so bad but where I live I only have street parking and therefore have to parallel park every day.

I've gotten used to it myself and love the stiffer feel of the car under acceleration and engine braking, but it's definitely noticable, particularly when I drive someone else's car and realize parallel parking doesn't come with a free magic fingers massage.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Solus posted:

Got my Work Emotions on the Type R today, finally

18x9.5 + 38 Work Emotion Kiwami's in Bronze
265/35/18 Nitto 555G2 Tyres
Spoon Sports wheel nuts for the mild flex - https://i.imgur.com/rXHmOyA.png

I need to get some Centre Caps, I was considering leaving them without it but I'm not a huge fan after seeing them in person. Will probably get the Black centre caps

Nice!

I would love to get some new wheels, but I always get analysis paralysis when I start looking.

Plus, my stock Austins have the custom curb rash treatment.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Once i get the lowering springs put on in a week or two I'll get a full body shot. I loving love the colour contrast in the daylight.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
I put the Mountune RMM in my Focus ST and at the same time had the idle bumped from 850 to 900 and it was rougher at first but now that the RMM is broken in there is zero vibration at idle. Great upgrade. Helped a lot with torque steer, I have almost none now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dark Solux posted:

I put the Mountune RMM in my Focus ST and at the same time had the idle bumped from 850 to 900 and it was rougher at first but now that the RMM is broken in there is zero vibration at idle. Great upgrade. Helped a lot with torque steer, I have almost none now.

Same one I have- feels like a good balance between reducing engine movement and the negative characteristics caused by it and introducing more vibrations to the cabin.

Felt like a massive improvement coming from the original terrible pre-'14 RMM; don't know how it would feel going from the eFocus mount to it though.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

wolrah posted:

A friend of mine did the insert on his '09 GTI and it smoothed out after a few weeks for the most part. Reverse definitely carried a lot of vibration through as long as he had the car, but neutral and Drive were smooth enough after it wore in.

Thanks for the additional feedback. It happens launching from a standstill, but when downshifting into 1st at low speed the vibration is basically the same as every other gear. even initiating reverse doesn't vibrate much, but drive does, though it seems really only in first. the additional engine (and turbo!) noise is okay, though it rings the unibody like a lovely bell. Will stick with it, need the clutch restrictor removed next I bet, for quicker disengaging of the clutch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Oddhair posted:

Thanks for the additional feedback. It happens launching from a standstill, but when downshifting into 1st at low speed the vibration is basically the same as every other gear. even initiating reverse doesn't vibrate much, but drive does, though it seems really only in first. the additional engine (and turbo!) noise is okay, though it rings the unibody like a lovely bell. Will stick with it, need the clutch restrictor removed next I bet, for quicker disengaging of the clutch.
This was a DSG car, and it seemed like it sat somewhat riding the clutch right at the engagement point in reverse where it'd be more free when stopped in forward.

I would not expect any difference between gears in a manual car.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Toyota Australia discounting the first 1000 GR Yaris cars sold by $10K!

I'm definitely not shoppping for a $50k hot hatch, and I'm probably not shopping for a $40k hot hatch but that is a significant discount.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/883804...carousel&slot=0

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slothrop posted:

Toyota Australia discounting the first 1000 GR Yaris cars sold by $10K!

I'm definitely not shoppping for a $50k hot hatch, and I'm probably not shopping for a $40k hot hatch but that is a significant discount.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/883804...carousel&slot=0

Those are Australian dollars, by the way.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think the PCV baffle plate on my 13 FoST needs to be resealed, got a small oil leak from that area. Considering swapping it for the Radium plate which also comes with their PCV valve. They claim the OEM valve is leaky under boost. It also has a second hole for a dual catch can setup or whatever; everything I read says "don't bother" but hey, extra ports.

I also bought a borescope to get pics of the intake valves, figured it should be interesting to see what they look like on a completely stock motor at 125k.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 23, 2020

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

angryrobots posted:

I think the PCV baffle plate on my 13 FoST needs to be resealed, got a small oil leak from that area. Considering swapping it for the Radium plate which also comes with their PCV valve. They claim the OEM valve is leaky under boost. It also has a second hole for a dual catch can setup or whatever; everything I read says "don't bother" but hey, extra ports.

I also bought a borescope to get pics of the intake valves, figured it should be interesting to see what they look like on a completely stock motor at 125k.

I'm curious to see the pics because I just did a quick look-see on my 2009 R56 Mini Cooper which is supposed to be notorious for carbon buildup on the valve stems and it was really fricking clean in there. My car has ~118k miles on the odometer and I only really know about how it was cared for since ~90k miles as the previous owner just handed me his maintenance records folder. Unfortunately I didn't take pics but I do have a vacuum hose to reattach so when I take the intake manifold off to sort that out I'll see if I can grab pics.

Curious: Which borescope did you get? The one I have was a gift and the frame rate is horribly bad. I'd like to get a better one but not spend a mint on it.

Pic for the pics gods, this is me doing an at-home block integrity test because I flubbed replacing the thermostat and boiled off most of the engine's coolant a couple of months ago. (It passed.)

I am however still chasing coolant leak gremlins but the leak is now down to acceptable levels such that I can drive the car locally and only top off a bit every couple of days. BMW's plastics and overcomplicated piping can go die. Hopefully the part I have on order will once and for all sort this problem out because I'm tired of telling my spouse that I think I've fixed the problem only to have moved it to a different portion of the system.

I really love driving this car but the troubleshooting is making me wish I'd bought a BRZ or or a Miata or an S2000 or something instead. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought this super cheap USB-C scope. I took a video and didn't see any issues with frame rate. It doesn't focus particularly well closer than about 0.5" is my only complaint. Well worth <$20.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The poor dear Golf R was rear-ended yesterday by a loving idiot whilst I was stopped at a crosswalk to allow a pedestrian to cross :smith:

It's just depressing. It did not deserve that, I did not deserve that, and if I'd just blown through the crosswalk like a careless loving idiot the car would still be fine. gently caress me, right?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Well no, gently caress the dumbass that hit you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Warbird posted:

Well no, gently caress the dumbass that hit you.

Yeah, I know...

It's just frustrating. You do all the right things, pay attention, follow the speed limit, stop at crosswalks, and then POW an idiot just takes you out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

so what are you getting with the insurance money?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seems like the only car I see R owners swap to is an RS3.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My neighbor literally went from an R tro an RS3 last year so funny you say that. It's such a great looking car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Deviant posted:

so what are you getting with the insurance money?

I'm really hoping "the car repaired". I'm guessing it's $6-12k damage which shouldn't be enough to total it, it's not completely hosed and it is driveable even if it'll likely be an expensive fix. The hatch is a wee bit caved in on one side, the right brake light cover is slightly broken (really just a wee fragment off it, but I'll insist on a new one even so) and the bumper and all the electrical bits need replaced.

If it is totaled, then the only thing I'd buy right now is another Golf R. The Audis and the A-class AMG are tempting but I like me a stick.

I have decided, though, that I must and shall have a Jeep Wrangler as a rental while it's being fixed, because it's a superb vehicle to gently caress around with but an awful one that would drive me batshit insane to actually live with.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to permanently disable the park distance sensor so the damaged sensor does not make my poor car believe that I am imminently about to back into something at literally all times?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 5, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Insurance has already decided I'm 100% not at fault and my deductible is waived. Looks like I may have to do some fighting regarding renting a vehicle I don't hate, since they judge by "similar class" and they don't consider hot hatch to be a separate class from normal hatch. Which is a complete gently caress, to be honest.

"So, uh, what features do you find you'd miss compared to a generic compact?"

"300 horses, AWD and a transmission that doesn't make me wish death upon its creators."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

Insurance has already decided I'm 100% not at fault and my deductible is waived. Looks like I may have to do some fighting regarding renting a vehicle I don't hate, since they judge by "similar class" and they don't consider hot hatch to be a separate class from normal hatch. Which is a complete gently caress, to be honest.

"So, uh, what features do you find you'd miss compared to a generic compact?"

"300 horses, AWD and a transmission that doesn't make me wish death upon its creators."

None of the big rental companies offers sporty hatchbacks for rent though you might find a smaller boutique rental joint that has nicer stuff. You're lucky if you get a rental that doesn't smell like cigarette smoke and McDonald's farts while yours is at the body shop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Midjack posted:

None of the big rental companies offers sporty hatchbacks for rent though you might find a smaller boutique rental joint that has nicer stuff. You're lucky if you get a rental that doesn't smell like cigarette smoke and McDonald's farts while yours is at the body shop.

If it smells like cigarettes, I'll just smoke cigarettes in it, no worries. I don't smoke in my car on in my apartment because I care about them, but I love smoking in cars or indoor spaces which aren't mine. I don't object in principle, I just don't enjoy ruining my own belongings.

Still, as concerns the rentals, I will have a Wrangler come hell or high water. It's not available through insurance coverage by the letter of the policy, but if I have to I will pay out of pocket. While I was discussing my claim with the adjuster, she mentioned that she drives a Wrangler, so I sent her a followup saying "you know, I have my heart set on this rental, I'll pay a reasonable difference, but... it's a Jeep Thing." So, we'll see how that goes.

And, I must say, although I'm extremely glad no one was hurt and no permanent damage was done, I'm right loving sick of hearing "well cars are replaceable, you aren't. that's the most important thing!!!" at this point. I do understand that, but I have an emotional connection with my car, I do care for it and I suppose on some level I love it. It's not merely a belonging to me. If my apartment burnt down, it would be the same thing. Physical things are replaceable and are impermanent by their nature, I do understand that, but it's still very troubling and emotional.

My car has, as does every vehicle, a personality; it has served me reliably, I spend hours in it every day. It pleases me when it's clean and gleaming in the sunlight, it upsets me when it's covered in slush and I admire its grit when it starts in -30 without a complaint. I feel the consistency of the hydraulic fluid as I shift when it's cold or when I brake, it feels like I feel on a cold morning. If I gently caress up a shift and ride the clutch a bit, I feel bad, not because I am concerned about having to replace the clutch early, but because I've done wrong by my car. I don't know, maybe it sounds like I'm a complete lunatic and I need mental help, but... it's the way I feel. All the planes I fly have the same feeling for me; I know the cheerful ones, I know the sluggish ones, I know the ones that will treat me well but might have a touchy throttle or idle a bit low on a cold morning. And at some point, beyond all the nice feelings about "well at least you're okay," I should like someone to acknowledge that it's more than a monetary loss.

I kept my anger in check when exchanging information and communicating with the other party, my absolute first consideration was always the safety of everyone involved, followed by complying with my legal obligations, and calming the distressed other driver down, and... I'm tired now and I'd just like anyone involved in the process to even one time just express the slightest bit of consideration for how this has taxed me emotionally. Even just for the adjuster to say, "wow, that Golf R sounds like a great car, I can tell you're quite fond of it, it's very sad it's been damaged like this." There are many like it, but this one is mine. Ultimately it will be repaired and some day I'll sell it, but until then, it's my faithful companion.

What would Top Gear or the Grand Tour be if we ignored the fact that a car is more than the sum of its parts or a graph of its performance?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The way the rental worked when I had my idiot hellcar destroyed by a red light runner was a fixed amount of reimbursement based on estimated repair time; I could have gotten a nicer car and gone out of pocket if I had wanted to but I didn’t care that much so it was the smallest rental on the lot and then a service loaner when the diff problem surfaced. Geico was the other guy’s insurance and they sucked rear end to deal with.

And I hear you on the connection to the car; I don’t name mine but I do spend a lot of time and money to keep it maintained and I hate being unnecessarily hard on it by my own mistake even if it’s just something minor like a jerky shift or hitting a bump a little too quickly. :)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I empathize with you bud. When I totaled my GTI I was pretty distraught for a bit, but ultimately I had no one to blame but myself which does make it slightly different. As you say the best part about cars is the emotions they invoke in us, whether that’s looking at it in the driveway or shifting the gears or just casually cruising, all of it factors in to why car people love their cars. Sucks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TheBacon posted:

I empathize with you bud. When I totaled my GTI I was pretty distraught for a bit, but ultimately I had no one to blame but myself which does make it slightly different. As you say the best part about cars is the emotions they invoke in us, whether that’s looking at it in the driveway or shifting the gears or just casually cruising, all of it factors in to why car people love their cars. Sucks man.

Yes, I did that with my Mustang (not totaled but damaged) and it was dreadful in a completely different way. Yes these things are only objects, widgets created by man, but ultimately is it not a stranger person who holds no feeling toward anything, rather than a person who feels ways about a car, or a favourite shirt, or a treasured musical instrument, or a nice painting, or a houseplant? Our relationships with humans and pets are different, of course, but my life would seem empty if I didn't feel ways about things in general. Not in a consumeristic sense like "a more expensive, faster car will make me feel better," just that I am quite attached to certain things for sentimental reasons. I don't want a new Golf R, I don't want an RS3, I don't want a loving Ferrari to replace my car (though I'd have one in addition to it, happily, if someone were to hand them out), I want my car, it's precious to me as more than the sum of its parts.

I've seen a old Cuban man smoke a cigarette and tell me, of a basically pristine new Kia, "well, it's no Lada 2102. That's a car. I learned to drive in that car, it's on its third engine, and it's better than this Korean heap." I understand that man.