Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

Since every single Space Marine unit is a variation on "normal dude with a slightly different suit or armour and different weapons load out" it even makes sense that almost everything is CORE. The only surprises based off that article is that Centurions aren't (why?) and Dreadnoughts are (so your Captain doesn't sit at the back ordering tanks around, but they can sit back ordering a couple of contemptors and a leviathan?).

Well clearly one of the core (heh) design principles for 9th is "gently caress Centurions". Losing either of Bolter Discipline or CORE would have been a nerf for the big boys, losing both is tantamount to saying "we don't like this unit, please buy Aggressors." Its similar to the elimination of firstborn friendly strats like Gravitic Amplification and Masterful Marksmanship. "Oh wait, you thought Devastators and Sternguard were good especially with 2W now? Nah, gently caress that. Go buy Eradicators and Heavy Intercessors instead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah I mean I clearly get they decided to beat them into the dirt but other than that there's no reason lore wise to explain why centurions aren't CORE but say Aggressors and Eradicators are.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/05/codex-updates-wargear-profiles-and-rules/

The new wargear FAQs are out.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sorry for the spam, still learning how to lightbox but just a brief check in from me:

Just finished this 40k’d Weirdnob Shaman to be a Weirdboy. Had a bit of an accident gluing him which led to me just wrapping up but like him a lot:

Also took me a bit but did a couple Infiltraitors in a custom scheme I have been playing with:

A few squigs as a palate cleanser:

Finally a three month check in, my first boy next to the shaman:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
DA Inner Cricle infantry units have permanent transhuman is just :stare:

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 5, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wow, the Space Wolves PDF is basically the entire supplement, and while they have some neat stratagems there's a bunch of stuff not there, like unique warlord traits, and Codex: Space Wolves is Officially Dead. Hopefully this is just a stop gap and the supplement will have that stuff in it.

EDIT: Deathwatch is the same, and the kill team rules are super cool

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 5, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

^burtle posted:

Also took me a bit but did a couple Infiltraitors in a custom scheme I have been playing with:

The Emperor's Pointy Sticks?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Legacy of dorn :qq: It was already the worst one pretty much!

e: I guess Lysander gets to keep his 3++ as one of few (only?) space marines? Maybe the custodes will get to keep theirs too after all. (e: no arjac also gets it, not a mistake then probably and custodes are 3++ with shields, also bonus armor!)

ee: also I feel like feirros giving 5++ to infantry, instead of core is kinda funny. Good for centurions I guess!

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2020

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

DA Inner Cricle infantry units have permanent transhuman is just :stare:

Dark Angels....

....good?!?!?!?

Doesn't seem like a way to get the Outriders or new outriders chaplain the Ravenwing keyword which would be cool for the mixed stratagem

Editing: answered below but I'm happy to totally be wrong, outriders here I cooooome

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 5, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They get Ravenwing keyword as a rule on their Codex datasheet if they're in a Dark Angels detachment (or if they have the Dark Angels keyword, I forget exactly which).

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Strobe posted:

They get Ravenwing keyword as a rule on their Codex datasheet if they're in a Dark Angels detachment (or if they have the Dark Angels keyword, I forget exactly which).

Yooooo

Dark Angels good?!??!

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Dark Angels....

....good?!?!?!?

Doesn't seem like a way to get the Outriders or new outriders chaplain the Ravenwing keyword which would be cool for the mixed stratagem

Don't Outriders gain the Ravenwing keyword in the new Marines codex? Either way, Jink got buffed as well, 5++ as long as you're not stationary and 4++ if you advance. Both DA flyers seem to have gotten better too. The Dark Talon Rift Cannon shits out MWs now, upwards of 9 MW.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Deathwing Apothecary bumped up to chief apothecary giving out 6+++ to everything, resurrecting 3W terminators that already are 2+/5++? And transhuman built in (to the apothecary itself as well because why not)

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Looks like GW forgot to include the datasheet for Deathwing Ancients. Pennant of Remembrance is in as an option for "Deathwing Ancient model only", so presumably it'll be fixed or they could somehow already be taken via the codex.

Weapons from the Dark Age is gone. That was inevitable with the grav stratagem having been removed, but it makes the case for Black Knights harder*. They got a slight upgrade in melee in that Corvus Hammers are now a flat D2, rather than D1 converting to D3 on a wound roll of 6. But 45 points for what they can do now seems steep. At least the Ravenwing support characters don't take up detachment slots now when a Black Knights unit is taken.

*The Ravenwing Black Knights datacard now lists the "Inner Circle" keyword. "Inner Circle" now provides permanent Trans Human Physiology. If that's not a mistake, maybe there will be a very different role for Black Knights, especially coupled with the Ravening Apothecary changes, a 6 FNP plus not occupying a Detachment slot when taken alongside Black Knights.

Dark Angels characters getting master crafted versions of their plasma weapons so they don't just die when using them is nice. Also the Land Speeder Vengeance no longer loses its plasma weapon on a 1 roll while firing supercharged, so the model is probably now usable.

The Dark Talon's weapon change looks good.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I guess the smurfs get two full rerolls if they take guilliman and a chapter master, since he doesn't have the chapter master keyword? He has to be warlord but that doesn't really interfere with it. A little less punishing since you can use the heroes of the chapter stratagem twice in a strike force sized battle now, and chapter master doesn't cost command points.

I do find it a little weird that they kept pretty much everything the same, except for were there were specific changes from the new codex that directly impacted something. Like, raven guard ebon claw gets another attack because lightning claws now get an extra attack in the new codex. Tor Garadons 'set to bs 2' ability changed to +1 to hit, so it doesn't mess up the max +1/-1 modifier. Captain auras changed to affect core like in the new codex, same for the named chapter masters. Tyrannic war veterans and crusader squads get 2 wounds so they're in line with new codex tactical marines and then BAM nerf imperial fists super doctrine out of the blue.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Maneck posted:

*The Ravenwing Black Knights datacard now lists the "Inner Circle" keyword. "Inner Circle" now provides permanent Trans Human Physiology.

Infantry only for that bit.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
You're right, although that also means Inner Circle isn't really doing anything for them. Locking them in engagement range with Fallen is fluffy but actually a (minute) drawback.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh poo poo all the Black Templar stuff is in the PDF update!

haakman
May 5, 2011
Holy poo poo my faction is good?! Deathwing Knights have thunderhammers which hit on 2s!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Crossposting from the painting thread.

Mr Teatime posted:

I’m always relieved after doing the grungy chipping and washes when I’m working on something. I always worry that my base colours aren’t quite what I want but this step seems to always make things come together for me.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

This is a dumb question, but if I'm putting together a successor chapter, I don't need the supplement for the parent chapter right? I'd just need the main SM Codex?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Do/can Deathwing terminator guys get Obsec?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Funzo posted:

This is a dumb question, but if I'm putting together a successor chapter, I don't need the supplement for the parent chapter right? I'd just need the main SM Codex?

You do, you get access to stratagems, warlord traits, relics, psychic powers, and thr super doctrine from the chapter supplement.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Do/can Deathwing terminator guys get Obsec?

There is the new chapter ancient warlord trait which gives it to friendly core units. There is also a 1 cp strat to give them +1 toughness, which is reactionary, so you can just use it whenever they're targeted. In case transhuman-forever wasn't enough. I guess if someone is pointing a bunch of bolter shots at them.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Dark Angels got a lot! Lets see what Blood Angels get! :unsmith:

:smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So wanted to pick your brains in this thread.

So far I have a Dark Apostle, a Chaos Lord, 5 CSM with pistols and Chainswords, 5 terminators (plasma and chain axes, though can be power fists and bolters), two chaos spawn plus a Keeper of Secrets.

I've got the CSM start collecting set for my birthday this month so after that I'll have those too. I'm thinking of getting another unit or two to summon as an alternative to the keeper of secrets. Its not a super competitive list, but I'm thinking of a semi-decent cheap-ish unit (money and points) to summon in addition to the KoS or as an alternative.

At the moment I'm thinking either the Skulltaker (because the model is rad mostly and can bee line for enemy characters), the changeling (because he can smite or give me a free re-roll every turn), or a unit of ten plague bearers (summon them onto an objective, and move everything else forward) or Nurglings (because they are cheap and "sticky" to try and move).

Anyone got any other good ideas for a stand alone unit to just chuck into the mix? Consideration given to how good the unit is and how cool the models are. If it does something cool but not that competitive that's also OK as long as it will actually get to do it.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They made long fangs into devastators. Just remove them from the chapter specific units.

E: why is the counter charge stratagem still there when the whole army can do it now? Oh it's a 6" intervention. Meh.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 5, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

They made long fangs into devastators. Just remove them from the chapter specific units.

E: why is the counter charge stratagem still there when the whole army can do it now? Oh it's a 6" intervention. Meh.

Being able to heroically intervene any unit 6" for 1CP is pretty good in my view.

That being said, I do think a lot of Space Wolf flavour is missing. I really hope there's more stuff in the supplement.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kitchner posted:

Being able to heroically intervene any unit 6" for 1CP is pretty good in my view.

That being said, I do think a lot of Space Wolf flavour is missing. I really hope there's more stuff in the supplement.

I'm sure (or I guess I hope) there will be. There's a lot of stuff missing.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Dark Angels good?!??!

haakman posted:

Holy poo poo my faction is good?! Deathwing Knights have thunderhammers which hit on 2s!

I'm a little torn between "holy poo poo Deathwing might actually be good now" and "my big rear end pile of plasma weapons can't use WftDA". Was really looking forward to seeing what Heavy Plasma Incinerators can do with 4 damage apiece hitting on 2+...

Meanwhile my Vertigus set arrived so I'm going back to laying pipes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Terminators are looking pretty great across the board imo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

I'm sure (or I guess I hope) there will be. There's a lot of stuff missing.

I'll feel bad if my girlfriend got into space wolves only to have all their cool poo poo taken from them the moment she starts getting into the game itself.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
being angry about vanilla death company losing the bolter + chainsword combo is the pettiest thing to be angry about but here I am.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they're reworking or expanding sagas. I had a really good setup in mind for a bike wolf priest.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
My sisters love these changes to weapons.
Handflamers are now 12 range.
So a unit of Seraphim from bloody rose with 2 of them in a 5 man unit comes in with their jump pacs and uses their strat to shoot in the movement phase. That's 4xd6 , st3 shots with ap-1 with a 18 range. They now can actually get to shoot in the shooting phase at range 12 so that's another 4xd6 and the other girls ofcourse shoot their pistols also with the extra ap. Pretty cool!
Multimelta retributors now get 8 shots + 4 with sacrificing their cherubs with 36 range d6+1 (18 half range damage d6+3 with the strat).
And ofcourse heavy Bolters just doing d2
And powerswords giving +1 st to angels like Zephyrim.
Even a Celestian superior with a powermaul is pretty deadly now.
As bloody rose she gets 3 attacks at st5 with ap-2. Then you add a preacher so 4 attacks and and Imagifier so st6. And they rr all hits when close to a canoness and have a strat to rr all hits and wounds when not.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 5, 2020

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

JBP posted:

Terminators are looking pretty great across the board imo.

Yeah, with the combi-weapon Chaos variety looking extra scary. As long as they keep the -1 to hit, my Alpha Legion guys might even survive a round after they teleport in!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Warzone Morloc is my most watchable batrep channel now, slightly edging out TT. Bill is an imbecile, I love it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

They didn't touch psycannons or incinerators. :(

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I'm late to the party collecting Death Guard. If I want to get the characters from the now discontinued Dark Imperium box I'm out of luck except through Ebay right? I know the bell man isn't supposed to be good but he's committed to the bit and the Lord looks nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I wouldn't be shocked if that got made into a Start Collecting at some point, but right now yes eBay is really your only choice.