Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I am so curious what the gently caress they're going to do for season 2. Rip off a different game? Ignore the first season entirely? Somehow build a plot off of it? Try to delay the writing and filming of the season until the people involved can just cash out?

If there are three seasons in mind, I can see how it will go. There were three big problems Picard has that are set up in the first season: Synths are illegal and Picard feels he owes Data for his sacrifice. The Romulans are in a ton of refugee colonies that are ruled by warlords. The borg are still out there and Picard is dealing with being ex-borg.

The first season solved the synth/Data conflict. My guess is that the 2nd will solve the Romulan problem and the third will solve the borg problem. Possibly eliminating the borg as a villain from the franchise as a big finale. The Romulan and borg plots are odd to include in the first season since not much is done with them altogether. They really don't fit in with the main synth issue, but if they're included as a way to set up the future seasons, then they'll make more sense when people sit down and watch the series as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

maybe raffi chooses poverty. she lives in a camper to befter herself and the rest of humanity.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They seemed like a lazy way to set up the lines for the end battle, which also went nowhere, but Chabon insists he's plotting ahead, so who are we to argue?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

maybe raffi chooses poverty. she lives in a camper to befter herself and the rest of humanity.

If she's a voluntary ascetic the vape is an odd choice, for sure.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Picard has some ideas that are kinda cool and make sense- Romulan refugee crisis, borg reclamation, but the writers had no idea how to write plots about any of it and decided to just write a very generic action adventure show with bizarre guest stars. It's hard to tell whose hand was in each decision on what got made, but man it wasn't one person. The only episode that i found decent enough was the one with troi and riker and they were just chilling on a planet making bad pizza and having troi just own picard.

My favorite line was when his tal shiar buddies were suggesting he get Worf and Geordi to help him and he was like "nah, i don't to send people who will die for me out to do dangerous stuff, i want to go with people i scarcely know and are much younger to do the dangerous stuff"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
22 producers is a hell of a drug

Lister posted:

I took "new brain" to mean "new individual personality" Like if you look that the slave bots, they have brains except they don't work well. The bodies are the easy to replicate part.

We're already getting into this way more than anyone involved in the show did, but we've got some serious Cartesian dualism going here, except also we need part of Data's physical brain to make minds for the androids? There's not really a clear line between the slave robots and Dr. Maddox's incredible thinking machines either. They both exist and they look similar, but it's not really established that they're a progression or evolution of the technology. The idea with Data was that no one knew how his brain worked, that's why Maddox wanted to dissect him in the first place. Now apparently they still don't know well enough to make a new one from scratch, but somehow they can clone two at a time from positrons (from his positronic brain), because I loving love science!

At no point before Picard's miraculous resurrection is it ever suggested that they can implant human minds on positronic brains of any kind, let alone ones that run the labourers

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 5, 2020

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If having one producer is good, imagine how good 22 of them would be!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gutcruncher posted:

If having one producer is good, imagine how good 22 of them would be!

It took ten producers to write the elf ninja character.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

tango alpha delta posted:

Dark Matter, while only three seasons is actually not bad and has way more personality than nuTrek. Go Canadian science fiction!
I really liked Dark Matter as far as space scifi goes. The episodic episodes (?) that they did in the last season were great. The "groundhog day" one was hilarious.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WGOzIVoICY

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

imagine how many of them it would take to screw in a light bulb

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panzeh posted:

All they had to do was ask and I'd have been happy to lend them one of my OCs.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Kinda want to watch BSG now.

They have a plan... they actually don't.

Just have to skip a lot of episodes, entire seasons. Maybe just pull the plug halfway through. Start with Caprica too.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching BSG on Comet and I've come to accept that a lot of the time we only cheer for Adama and Roslin because nice music plays while they do or say something horrible, it's amazing how time can completely alter one's perception of a thing

tom zarek did nothing wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BSG is mostly terrible people being lovely to each other. The space battles were super cool though, before faux handheld shakycam and snap zooms got done absolutely to death.

It was a new and interesting style back in the early 2000s

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

infernal machines posted:

Well, there's Raffi's entire existence and the whole bit about Picard's vineyard and his heirloom furniture, but also the implied reason for scrubbing the Romulan evacuation support. In both cases, pretty fundamental to the plot of the series.

Even to take it at its worst interpretation, it's just one line meant to set up the backstory of the character. I feel like any implications it has for the overall state of the Federation are accidental at worst.

As far as the evacuation goes, yeah, having a ship shortage doesn't make much sense with the replicator tech and whatnot, but really nothing about the franchise's treatment of fleetbuilding and scale has ever made sense.

I'm inclined to disagree about "emotionally resonant" just because, to me, it comes off as hamfisted and manipulative, but also incredibly shallow. There's a lot of very intense seeming emotional moments that are completely meaningless, they don't matter to the story, they're just there for the characters to tear up making impassioned speeches at each other. As far as America and 9/11 goes, I don't know why Kurtzman and co keep trying to tell that story, but DS9 did it better in 1996

Well, you won't get any disagreement with me on the last sentence. "Emotional resonance" is of course subjective. Some themes just hit home for me personally. Feeling powerless over big injustices, the desire to want to withdraw into oneself in the face of societal change, that sort of thing.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 5, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3sXUhq0sDU
Elsewhere in this interview Kurtzman basically says they're trying to make Star Trek pull Game of Thrones numbers. There's scenes in both Picard and STD that look like they're directly lifting from GoT. Guess they're speedrunning to Game of Thrones's reputation.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tighclops posted:

I've been rewatching BSG on Comet and I've come to accept that a lot of the time we only cheer for Adama and Roslin because nice music plays while they do or say something horrible, it's amazing how time can completely alter one's perception of a thing

tom zarek did nothing wrong

BSG did a terrible job explaining why tom zarek is wrong so they have to make him a cartoon villain in season 4 to justify killing him. Which was by far the best part of season 4.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Even to take it at its worst interpretation, it's just one line meant to set up the backstory of the character. I feel like any implications it has for the overall state of the Federation are accidental at worst.

As far as the evacuation goes, yeah, having a ship shortage doesn't make much sense with the replicator tech and whatnot, but really nothing about the franchise's treatment of fleetbuilding and scale has ever made sense.

Very little in the franchise is consistent from series to series, let alone anything approaching technical details. I still think Picard meant to portray the Federation as not really having accomplished all they claimed in previous series, perhaps not intentionally contrary to the established premise, so much as because no one writing the story gave a gently caress.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Well, you won't get any disagreement with me on the last sentence. "Emotional resonance" is of course subjective. Some themes just hit home for me personally. Feeling powerless over big injustices, the desire to want to withdraw into oneself in the face of societal change, that sort of thing.

Oh, absolutely, I'm certainly not telling you that you're wrong about how it made you feel, or that it made you feel.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Diorama posted:

I watched 3 seasons of SG:Atlantis a decade ago; should I finish it?

I like it a lot, but really you could just skip to the last two episodes just to watch Atlantis fly around.

numberoneposter posted:

Kinda want to watch BSG now.

They have a plan... they actually don't.

Just have to skip a lot of episodes, entire seasons. Maybe just pull the plug halfway through. Start with Caprica too.

Just quit as soon as you see someone wearing boxing gloves.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 5, 2020

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

dougdrums posted:

I really liked Dark Matter as far as space scifi goes. The episodic episodes (?) that they did in the last season were great. The "groundhog day" one was hilarious.

Take a drink every time these Canadians say 'sorry'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vFWlFOBDaw

e:This blooper reel is still better than Discovery.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 6, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We're already getting into this way more than anyone involved in the show did, but we've got some serious Cartesian dualism going here, except also we need part of Data's physical brain to make minds for the androids? There's not really a clear line between the slave robots and Dr. Maddox's incredible thinking machines either. They both exist and they look similar, but it's not really established that they're a progression or evolution of the technology. The idea with Data was that no one knew how his brain worked, that's why Maddox wanted to dissect him in the first place. Now apparently they still don't know well enough to make a new one from scratch, but somehow they can clone two at a time from positrons (from his positronic brain), because I loving love science!

At no point before Picard's miraculous resurrection is it ever suggested that they can implant human minds on positronic brains of any kind, let alone ones that run the labourers

Also at some point they disassembled B4 and put him in a drawer and nobody gave or gives a poo poo because he only had a child's mind he wasn't Data.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress that guy, TBH

But also lol @ killing a child because you somehow expected it to be something else. Good stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, and no mention of his twin.

Oh that's simple, the twin went back in time, but due to improper chronometric shielding got deaged into a younger android twin Picard. As present Picard was in the middle of Romulan space, the twin was discovered by the past Romulans, and raised by them to be the ultimate secret agent. This explains why in the short story "Twilight's Wrath" (in the novel Tales of the Dominion War) the deaged android picard twin clone (now going by his Reman name: Shinzon) refers to B-4 as 'brother'.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 6, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

piratepilates posted:

I am so curious what the gently caress they're going to do for season 2. Rip off a different game? Ignore the first season entirely? Somehow build a plot off of it? Try to delay the writing and filming of the season until the people involved can just cash out?

mass effect 2 is about shepard being resurrected as a cyborg and working with one of his enemies from the first game. there's every reason to expect that picard s2 will continue plagiarizing the mass effect series.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

a big part of the problem with picard is that the idea with these short extremely serialised serieses is that you actually know what the gently caress you're doing with the story but they weren't given time to actually do that, we know that they were still writing and figuring out story beats to later episodes basically as they were filming the one before. Hell, the reason the first episode is slow is that it was filmed as a two-parter and then they added some flashbacks and buffed it out into a three-parter in pickup.

So they were just pushed along to the end by an impatient CBS and then hadn't actually fully sorted how they were going to wrap it and had to do it as best they could.

also halfway through someone was like 'hey we got jeri ryan, write her in' and they had to sub her in for a bunch of hugh's parts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This has been the same for all the new trek shows. Discovery it's legendary how they were literally rewriting scripts to episodes as they were filming it and building sets that they were shooting scenes on later the same day, and lower decks had to panic because a few months before launch someone at CBS rang them and said 'discovery season three needs more time, we're moving your airing date up two and a half months to take their slot' and they went poo poo poo poo WE HAVE TO FINISH THIS BY LIKE NEXT WEEK AAAA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically CBS is terrible at managing but also seems to be under the impression that a scifi show can be shat out at high pace like two and a half men while still being in the style of all of these cool 'prestige' shows that make all the money.

(To be fair with discovery they wasted a lot of time at the start, but still they didn't have nearly enough to catch up after they redid the entire production just before launch)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Has Star Trek production ever not been a huge clusterfuck?

TOS was, and early TNG was

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TNG after Piller took over managed to get into a decent groove, I think, as did DS9. Voyager was okay if you don't count the entire writing staff all hating each other and being burned out, and then Enterprise the same but even more burned out.

It's well known that the Trek staff begged to have a year off between TNG and Voyager, and they begged again for extra time between Voyager and Enterprise, and both times CBS was like 'write or be replaced' while masturbating to graphs of TNG's ratings.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Have any of the mass effect people commented on the plagerism?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MikeJF posted:

a big part of the problem with picard is that

Its that Pat Stew wanted his own one-man show without having to appear alongside anyone from TNG

quote:

Data’s (Brent Spiner) absence from the series, or any Next Generation legacy character, was initially due in part to Stewart’s initial vision for the shape Picard should take.

"Patrick, in the beginning, felt like ‘I don’t want this to be a reunion show. I don’t want this to be me and a bunch of legacy cast walking through the door,’ Kadin recalls.

Nor having to appear along side any concepts from TNG

quote:

"Patrick was, originally, really not into doing the Borg," Kurtzman says. "He was insistent — very correctly — on not repeating anything he had previously done The Next Generation when it came to [the Borg]. He said ‘I’ve done that story, I don’t want to do that.’ And we said ‘OK.’"

Patrick wanted to make his OMG DRUMPF! wankoff show about how much of a crisis we are living through in 2018/19 Thats the big problem. He was in control of the direciton and had to have sellable cast and trek-like concepts massaged back like the borg or bluntly forced back in like RIker and Troi in either during the failure of a wriiters room, failure of executives watching the daiiles or failure of test-screening it to trekkors.

Picard's shittyness is entirely due to Patrick Stewart and thats why its so wonderful and fun to watch him mash about inside the skin of a character he always secretly hated and resents being remembered for.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I feel like Voyager was a missed opportunity.

Instead of everyone being miserable and burned out, they could have just churned out season after season of shitposts and the show would have been amazing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dear CBS please reboot Voyager and put me on the writing staff. I will sort this poo poo out.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^ I sign this petition. You could show a still shot of a jar of Mayo for 20 minutes, and still come out ahead, so the bar is low!

Maybe I should get around, one of these days, and actually watch TNG and DS9.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Picard's shittyness is entirely due to Patrick Stewart and thats why its so wonderful and fun to watch him mash about inside the skin of a character he always secretly hated and resents being remembered for.

This I'm willing to believe. He certainly didn't like being Picard the elder statesman, despite being just so darn good at it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dougdrums posted:

I really liked Dark Matter too, but I wasn't sad to see it go by the end tbh. Dark Matter had an okay first season, corrected trajectory extremely well for its second season One added nothing to the show as a moral wet blanket and got rightfully killed off, Three was course-corrected from "chronic backstabber" into "fun uncle" for much better group dynamics overall of bad people trying to do good things, and then fell right off a cliff by over-promising and under-delivering for its third season at a time when Killjoys made it look even worse by comparison. It's one of those rare times you really can't fault the network for killing off a show, because hoo-boy did they poo poo the bed a bunch by the end by trying to fill a 22-episode season's worth of story in a span of about 5-8 episodes.

At least they remembered their duty and killed off Roger Cross at the end, as is required of all his characters.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Ok, so here's the Voyager reboot.

Admirals Janeway, Picard, and Kim are presenting before the federation. Janeway is giving a rousing speech about how the Federation has strayed from their ideals, and how she held firm to those ideals even marooned in the Delta Quadrant.

Suddenly, Admiral Janeway turns to goo. It turns out another goo ship returned because future Janeway got the wrong bunch in Endgame. As Admiral Kim realizes this fact, he turns to goo.

The scene cuts to, the still Ensign, Kim standing at the same post on Voyager's bridge where he's been for 25 years without promotion.

Bam! Dark and gritty like the execs want. The Voyager crew back for the fans. And a serialized storyline for the previously disappointed fans.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mass effect 2 is about shepard being resurrected as a cyborg and working with one of his enemies from the first game. there's every reason to expect that picard s2 will continue plagiarizing the mass effect series.

oh lol, it's that. yeah alright, it's definitely that route, god dammit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

piratepilates posted:

oh lol, it's that. yeah alright, it's definitely that route, god dammit.

I've been saying this exact thing since the finale aired. It's so stupidly blatant that I'd be more surprised if they don't rip off Mass Effect 2 next. He'll have to work with the Zhat'Vash, the Federation won't trust him because he's an android replacement (but still have juuust enough respect to leave him alone in case he's right), and it'll be why the Romulan guy from last season is now on their ship.

Which'll probably get blown up in the first episode and replaced with a newer, larger, ship of the same model crewed with Zhat Vash.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

gently caress that guy, TBH

But also lol @ killing a child because you somehow expected it to be something else. Good stuff.

That's not what happened though. They said B4's brain stopped working for [tech] reasons.