Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WombatCyborg posted:

Kinda bummed we aren't getting the horror game review per day this october, hope the guy is alright.

Yeah I was wondering about those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WombatCyborg posted:

Kinda bummed we aren't getting the horror game review per day this october, hope the guy is alright.

isn't that Too Shy Guy? he's still posting regular in LP, at least

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

isn't that Too Shy Guy? he's still posting regular in LP, at least

yep

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648165&userid=38054

and yeah last post was today

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh man...I forgot about those, and reading through all of em was what made me start following the thread in the first place :(

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I also love those horror review roundups and have picked up a bunch of stuff I never would've heard of off of them in past years. Via his website it sounds like he's on hiatus though: https://goldplatedgames.com/2020/09/21/stepping-back/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

So in the Phasmophobia tutorial level, what do the keys that you can find do? I found one on a counter in the kitchen, and one on a workbench in the garage.

There's a lot of keys laying around in general but for the most part I don't think they functionally do anything for the most part. So many times I've found several keys in a house that had all of the doors unlocked. I think maybe on the bigger maps you can find locked doors, but the smaller ones I've never found them to be useful.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Car keys let you turn off the car alarm if the ghost turns it on, dunno about the other ones.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

just played some Phasmophobia myself with some friends and we had a blast, though we fumbled a lot. I had an issue where while I could hear in game audio, but no ones voice activity would come through for me. Everyone else could hear each other and speak to each other, but couldn't hear me. Voice recognition tested fine, so I'm unsure if the ghost could hear me or not. What are good places to look up for issues aside from Steam discussions?

Don't get me wrong though the game is fantastic and very tense. Def super enjoy it and can't wait to see more added or improved.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

King of Bleh posted:

I also love those horror review roundups and have picked up a bunch of stuff I never would've heard of off of them in past years. Via his website it sounds like he's on hiatus though: https://goldplatedgames.com/2020/09/21/stepping-back/

Yeah it sucks but the quarantine ended up slowly killing my ability to do reviews. I work from home, I help my kids with their remote school, and I basically have no time to myself anymore to play games, much less write about them. I leaned all the way into streaming just to have some kind of social interaction beyond the three other people in my house, and that's helping. I'll be streaming the new Amnesia when that comes out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Shame to hear it. Maybe you'll find time to have a Quarantine Make-up Month when things get better again?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hey. Think I'm going to try to commit to a weird thing for October and maybe beyond. Posts I made about the idea with example images/music below. The gist is running a Paranormal Forum game where you collectively vote on some choices and builds while watching a 'playthrough' of an intense horror-themed faux roguelike.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913318&userid=42645&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post508606140
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913318&userid=42645&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post508627332
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913318&userid=42645&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post508646583

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That is a weird idea but you've pretty much got my aesthetic down, let us know when you kick off.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Phasmophobia in VR is fun once you find a decent group. Still a little janky, though. I was playing with a kid who stayed in the van while I went into the house with a video camera. In the middle of being attacked by a ghost, the game bugged out. It made me drop the video camera and teleported me back into the van. Scared the absolute poo poo out of the guy I appeared next to.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I guess it's only to be expected. For an EA game, I'm personally kind of impressed with how complete and stable it mostly seems, though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's really exciting to see the beginnings of VR horror get explored and refined.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Phasmophobia has something I've always wanted more of in horror games which is, you don't know what the spook is initially. I'm sure after some more experience it will be pretty easy to quickly narrow things down, but currently trying to figure out what helps and what hurts is great

I'd love to see a high-budget version of this because there's a ton of potential, especially with little visual effects and hallucinations

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh if it gets any more realistic and refined, it's gonna go from mildly unsettling to pantshittingly terrifying. I'm not normally one affected by jump scares but the tension of trying to find the room the ghost is in and worrying that it's going to start hunting you really makes it easy for your one rear end in a top hat friend to scare the poo poo out of you with sudden noises.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Amnesia, except you have to actually squat and hide and watch your breathing and how much you move.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess it's only to be expected. For an EA game, I'm personally kind of impressed with how complete and stable it mostly seems, though.

Yeah same, there are some headachey little bugs like the voice chat issues, but other than that the only bugs I've encountered over a dozen games or so have been the kind of physics bugs that will probably get ironed out, and don't often impact the gameplay all that much. Well, until you put down your EMF meter and shoots off into the next room, forcing you to spend a few minutes trying to find the thing... but we're still not sure if that was a bug, or if the ghost did it.

The devs are definitely approaching EA in a smart way-- the game doesn't always look fantastic, the character models in particular are goofy as hell, but it plays well and it's extremely engaging. I know a lot of the feedback I've seen has been that how the ghost hunting tools work exactly is kind of opaque, and while I agree, I kind of hope they don't go too far into explaining every last detail. A lot of the fun, for my group at least, was trying to figure out how exactly you're supposed to find the ghost and collect evidence (since the tutorial mission is.. uh.. not entirely helpful in that regard).

I'm also impressed that the game bridges VR and non VR players really pretty well. I'd think VR is probably the ideal way to play it (I couldn't, it made me too dizzy, but all VR with much lateral movement does) but I never felt hamstrung by not being in VR, and the game was still plenty terrifying.

The one thing I'd strongly recommend is if you're playing with a group of people you know, anybody who has the means to do so should do a gameplay capture. One of my friends recorded a couple of rounds for his YT channel and it was fun as hell going back to watch ourselves getting killed, or seeing just how much activity you might miss in any given game just because you happened to be in a different room for 30 seconds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostcam is particularly hilarious. The first person who dies should always try to get as much funny footage from their privileged vantage point in Nether Realms as they can manage. It's so much more funny to watch people panic and scramble when you can actually see what everyone (including the ghost) is doing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Black August posted:

Amnesia, except you have to actually squat and hide and watch your breathing and how much you move.

I remember there's a brutally hard QTE in Until Dawn because it was like DON'T MOVE and whoever was holding the controller had to not trigger its motion capture.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Phasmophobia has something I've always wanted more of in horror games which is, you don't know what the spook is initially. I'm sure after some more experience it will be pretty easy to quickly narrow things down, but currently trying to figure out what helps and what hurts is great

I'd love to see a high-budget version of this because there's a ton of potential, especially with little visual effects and hallucinations

Honestly the ghosts are similar enough and opaque enough that it's hard to ever get a good handle on what the ghost is other than just by collecting the three bits of evidence and comparing it to the journal. You might be able to intuit what some of the ghosts are (Poltergeists chuck a bunch of poo poo around, if you see it walk through a wall it's definitely a Wraith, etc) but that's more useful in an educated-guess kind of way, like you've found two of the three pieces of evidence, but based on the way it's behaving, it's probably ghost X. I think all the ghost types are dangerous to some extent, but you definitely do learn which ones are the most dangerous, like if we suspected we had a Demon we pretty much always kept one person in the van, watching the activity meter, because Demons trigger a lot of hunts, sometimes pretty quickly in succession, which meant having someone watching the meter made it more likely we'd have time to find a hiding place.

Also there's at least one, uh, unique kind of hallucination that can happen in certain hauntings, don't want to spoil what it is though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Ghostcam is particularly hilarious. The first person who dies should always try to get as much funny footage from their privileged vantage point in Nether Realms as they can manage. It's so much more funny to watch people panic and scramble when you can actually see what everyone (including the ghost) is doing.

I kind of love being dead, it makes you realize just how often the ghost will be right there in the room with you, without you having any idea whatsoever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

I remember there's a brutally hard QTE in Until Dawn because it was like DON'T MOVE and whoever was holding the controller had to not trigger its motion capture.
The one in the house where the Boss Wendigo sniffs for you, right? I imagine it helps to have one of the older controllers without motion detection for that one, yeah.

MockingQuantum posted:

I kind of love being dead, it makes you realize just how often the ghost will be right there in the room with you, without you having any idea whatsoever.
This game kind of needs an observer mode that lets you just drop in on groups in play and watch them bumble around, it's comedy gold.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 5, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I think my biggest problem with the game is the un-intuitiveness of the journal and knowing if you've submitted the ghost type properly or not. Also just trying to get around the journal quickly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

I think my biggest problem with the game is the un-intuitiveness of the journal and knowing if you've submitted the ghost type properly or not. Also just trying to get around the journal quickly.

Yeah there's def room for some little fixes there. We mostly just jumped to the back page, since if you enter any pieces of evidence, it automatically narrows down what ghost types it could be, which can help to make an educated guess later in the round.

I wish this worked the other way around to save time, ie if you know you have Ghost Writing, and maybe have orbs, but aren't sure of the third evidence, it would only let you select Shade or Yurei, just as a quick way to see what ghosts it could be. In that instance, you might be able to figure out it's definitely a Yurei because a hunt started when a bunch of players were together or whatever.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah there's def room for some little fixes there. We mostly just jumped to the back page, since if you enter any pieces of evidence, it automatically narrows down what ghost types it could be, which can help to make an educated guess later in the round.

I wish this worked the other way around to save time, ie if you know you have Ghost Writing, and maybe have orbs, but aren't sure of the third evidence, it would only let you select Shade or Yurei, just as a quick way to see what ghosts it could be. In that instance, you might be able to figure out it's definitely a Yurei because a hunt started when a bunch of players were together or whatever.

Ironically I think Yurei is the easiest to tell because its special is everyone goes insane super fast which is really noticeable and also doesn't require you to interact with the ghost. Our first hunt actually turned out to be a Yurei and once I read the entry I pretty much instantly thought it was one despite the lack of a third evidence piece just because even it being our first time I kinda kept side eyeing our sanity meters and thinking "Man you lost sanity super fast, that's kinda nasty." to "It's def a Yurei."

I think minor gripes I have are needing to buy a thermometer instead of just starting with one. Also just make flashlight default equipment that doesn't take up a slot and can just turn on or off with T. That or just provide 1 flashlight per person by default instead of making you buy extra.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Black August posted:

Hey. Think I'm going to try to commit to a weird thing for October and maybe beyond. Posts I made about the idea with example images/music below. The gist is running a Paranormal Forum game where you collectively vote on some choices and builds while watching a 'playthrough' of an intense horror-themed faux roguelike.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913318&userid=42645&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post508606140
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913318&userid=42645&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post508627332
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913318&userid=42645&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post508646583

You should cross post this over to the Video Games Hoaxes and Urban Legends thread, this is way up their alley.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343771

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

Ironically I think Yurei is the easiest to tell because its special is everyone goes insane super fast which is really noticeable and also doesn't require you to interact with the ghost. Our first hunt actually turned out to be a Yurei and once I read the entry I pretty much instantly thought it was one despite the lack of a third evidence piece just because even it being our first time I kinda kept side eyeing our sanity meters and thinking "Man you lost sanity super fast, that's kinda nasty." to "It's def a Yurei."

I think minor gripes I have are needing to buy a thermometer instead of just starting with one. Also just make flashlight default equipment that doesn't take up a slot and can just turn on or off with T. That or just provide 1 flashlight per person by default instead of making you buy extra.

Yeah I agree on the flashlight thing, it's a minor annoyance (and admittedly, makes your first round especially terrifying) but for some reason the fact that all the character models have a body-mounted flashlight just makes it ever so slightly more annoying that you don't have one by default.

There have been a couple of occasions where we set down a flashlight somewhere to shine light on a ghost journal or whatever, but you could still do that, just call it a "spotlight" or something. Hell, even the Strong Flashlight could stay, I think it makes sense to offer the option to buy a better flashlight that you could potentially lose by dying.

Not being able to buy the thermometer didn't bother me so much, we mostly used the EMF in early games to find the ghost, but I also don't think it would hurt the game to start with it.

I think right now, one of the most interesting potential additions would be more secondary objectives that are riskier, like "have only one person in the location for 1 minute" or whatever, basically stuff that encourages you to take risks for more money. Though we were pretty set for cash (until we got reckless and started getting people killed every round) so maybe that wouldn't add anything.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I do wish that there was more ambient light in the levels, just a tiny bit so its not basically pitch black without a flashlight. Barely seeing down that hallway is scarier than not seeing anything at all imo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

The one in the house where the Boss Wendigo sniffs for you, right? I imagine it helps to have one of the older controllers without motion detection for that one, yeah.

This game kind of needs an observer mode that lets you just drop in on groups in play and watch them bumble around, it's comedy gold.

I'm pretty sure all dual shock 4s had motion controls

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Tbh, that's part of why I've never actually played Until Dawn. I have essential tremor and I know I would be incredibly pissed if at the climax of the plot my health condition would cause me to fail like every time. I know it's an old folks disease normally but I've had it since 5. You should watch me eat soup, it's hilarious.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 5, 2020

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

WombatCyborg posted:

Tbh, that's part of why I've never actually played Until Dawn. I have essential tremor and I know I would be incredibly pissed if at the climax of the plot my health condition would cause me to fail like every time. I know it's an old folks disease normally but I've had it since 5. You should watch me eat soup, it's hilarious.

Tbf when I got to that point I failed the first time then when doing it again I had the controller put down already so I wouldn’t gently caress it up. That worked well enough.

Also on the Phasmophobia front I see on the dev trello that single player is in development so I might pick it up to be an antisocial loser.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Apparently the Phasmophobia dev is a true madman who is adding at least three more large maps soon.
One of the streamers I watch who plays it had a teammate get hit with ear whisper and the tool they were carrying snatched at the same time, ghosts being able to combo things sounds super good for spooks.

Dreadwroth2 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 6, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Apparently the Phasmophobia dev is a true madman who is adding at least three more large maps soon.

I kinda wish he'd stabilize the voice chat first, it's a huge gameplay mechanic and it's spotty as hell.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Closing discord before launching the game fixed the voice issues for my group consistently.

Are large maps more fun on higher difficulties? We just unlocked the Asylum on amateur and it kind of sucked. It was just 90% us walking around with basically nothing happening at all and then we finally found the single room we got any activity in and that was it. The highschool seems like the perfect size so far.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just want so that when you're cycling through your equipment and switch away from the flashlight, it doesn't turn off.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Is there a recent (last three years) single player, immersive horror game I can jump into? I picked up world of horror and its great but I'm hoping to find something more pretty to creep myself out with for spooktober.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

WombatCyborg posted:

You should cross post this over to the Video Games Hoaxes and Urban Legends thread, this is way up their alley.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343771

Good idea. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yuppie psycho is pretty fun. too bad no one ever talks about it.